Brewer Fanatic

2nd half optimism!!

torts

The mathematics of optimism.

Over the last 5 years, the average win total of the teams that just missed out on the wildcard (both leagues) was 88.8. The lowest of those win totals was 87, the highest was 90.

After losing tonight in Cinci, the Brewers have 44 wins in the book and 70 games left on the schedule. If the Brewers simply manage to go .500 on the road in their remaining 38 roadies, they have to go 25-7 in Miller Park the rest of the year to get to 88 wins. "Merely" going 21-11 at home the rest of the way means they "only" have to go 23-15 on the road the rest of the way (bucking their current .419 road pace).

And 88 or fewer wins would only have garnered the extra 1-game WC bid 3 times for the last 10 presumptive 2nd WC qualifiers.

So gimmee some of that super optimism, because after looking at the numbers it's all I've got to go on.

• Replies 634
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well.....Where is everybody? It's easy being an optimist when things look possible, but where are the optimists when the team gets swept by the division leader? In the fetal position on their couches? I haven't seen a bunch of sissy optimists like this since I don't remember. Let's have some blind faith, ignoring facts optimism here......

Well.....Where is everybody? It's easy being an optimist when things look possible, but where are the optimists when the team gets swept by the division leader? In the fetal position on their couches? I haven't seen a bunch of sissy optimists like this since I don't remember. Let's have some blind faith, ignoring facts optimism here......

What was the point of this post?

I mean, do you feel better now that you blurted that out?

I'm optimistic that we will go into this series talking about what a big series it is, not play well enough to help us get back into it, and then go on and talk about how big the next series is.

I AM STILL OPTIMISTIC ON A .500 SEASON!!!!!

I dont know about you, but I was out with my wife all weekend, away from the internet, doing things in real life with actual human beings. but hey! thanks for coming in here and raining on everyones parade!

LETS GET BACK IN THIS! .500+ OR BUST BABY!

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

I dont know about you, but I was out with my wife all weekend, away from the internet, doing things in real life with actual human beings.

I was playing Second Life and interacting with imaginary human beings in imaginary life.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

I tried Second Life once. I ran around aimlessly while the environments took forever to load. Eventually I wandered into some house where it seemed that a females-only party was going on. I ended up behind the turntable and DJ'ed for a minute.

Then I scolded myself for playing that game for more than 5 minutes and uninstalled it.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I dont know about you, but I was out with my wife all weekend, away from the internet, doing things in real life with actual human beings. but hey! thanks for coming in here and raining on everyones parade!

I don't think he was raining on everyone's parade. I think he was raining on like 4 people's parade.

I don't think he was raining on everyone's parade. I think he was raining on like 4 people's parade.

4 more than necessary! if you want to be a debby downer, realist, sell-sell-sell poster, go post in every other thread on this board! This thread is for optimism! this thread is for blindly wanting and rooting for the team to succeed!

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

Just curious, why would you root for a .500 season, or any arbitrary winning percentage for that matter?

Personally, I want this team to win a world series or at least make it deep into the playoffs. A .500 season at this point is actually detrimental to that goal when compared to trading everything that wont be part of that next playoff team for prospects and bringing up the prospects.

You're optimistic for a .500 season. Others here are trying to be optimistic this team takes the approach they should to try to win a world series in the next few years. Don't be a Debbie-downer on their optimism either, or go start a ".500 RECORD OPTIMISM!!!" thread of your own if thats the only thing you want to discuss.

Just curious, why would you root for a .500 season, or any arbitrary winning percentage for that matter?

Personally, I want this team to win a world series or at least make it deep into the playoffs. A .500 season at this point is actually detrimental to that goal when compared to trading everything that wont be part of that next playoff team for prospects and bringing up the prospects.

You're optimistic for a .500 season. Others here are trying to be optimistic this team takes the approach they should to try to win a world series in the next few years. Don't be a Debbie-downer on their optimism either, or go start a ".500 RECORD OPTIMISM!!!" thread of your own if thats the only thing you want to discuss.

Why would I create another optimism thread when I created this one? As a fan of the sport, and of this team, I want to see them win as much as possible. I NEVER root for my team to lose, I think that is a terrible mentality, even if its "for the future", hence me wanting them to end the year over .500. I am all for trying out young players and prospects if its going to still give the team a chance to win!

I am not for people coming into this thread ONLY to name call and be a negative presence. go in any other thread and do that, not here.

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

Why would I create another optimism thread when I created this one? As a fan of the sport, and of this team, I want to see them win as much as possible. I NEVER root for my team to lose, I think that is a terrible mentality, even if its "for the future", hence me wanting them to end the year over .500. I am all for trying out young players and prospects if its going to still give the team a chance to win!

I am not for people coming into this thread ONLY to name call and be a negative presence. go in any other thread and do that, not here.

Everyone roots for their team differently and one way isn't right or wrong. If anything, I would say the way I root for my team is more realistic than yours. I just don't think you should tell people to go to a different thread. You don't own or moderate this thread and you certainly aren't in a position to tell people how to root for their team.

If I want to discuss realistic optimism for this team winning the world series in the next few years you have no more right to tell me to leave this thread that I do to tell you to start a new one about a .500 record.

this thread is for blindly wanting and rooting for the team to succeed!
that says it all right there.

I think torts knows the current product is a turd sandwich, but his MO is too keep on rooting as if they're playoff contenders, and that's fine. People like that sell tickets and generate $$$ for the team. In a way I wish there were more like torts. Not that I share his optimism or agree, but people like torts are good for the overall fan base.

im driving 9 1/2 hours with my wife and my parents in two weeks to see the brewers reminants play the cincy reds. so stoked!

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

nope! im optimisitc the brewers will trade off KRod and Parra and bring up fresh faces in the pen and get back on the horse to .500!!!

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

Archived