Brewer Fanatic

2nd half optimism!!

torts
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Brewers are 75-72 (15 to go) and Cards are 78-70 (14 to go).

What will it take for the Brewers to win the wild card? Does going 9-6 do it? 10-5? My thinking is that 10-5 could put us in position for a playoff game to be the 2nd wild card, although I think we really need to probably go 12-3. The Cards have 3 games each vs the Reds and Nationals, with 5 more against the Astros and 3 against the Cubs. We really need the Nationals and Reds to take 4 of 6 from the Cards. If the Cubs and Astros can take 4 of 8 against the Cards, that would put them at 84 wins and give us a great shot given how we are playing.

Unfortunately our rotation currently lines up with 3 starts each for the starters with no off-days, so we can't skip a guy to get Yo an extra start.

The Cardinals have a cupcake schedule to with eight games more against Houston and Chicago (the next two games are on the road against Houston, then a series against Chicago and Houston at home follows). They close out against Cincinnati and Washington on the road.

I figure the Cardinals have a good shot to win five more from Houston and Chicago - then split the remaining six with Cincy/Nats. That's 8 more wins for a total of 86. That means the Crew needs to finish out 11-4. I'd even say 12-3 to be safe.

Also, Gallardo is now scheduled to pitch the final day of the season. Ideally this team will win enough to have the wild card clinched before then, so you can save Gallardo for the one-game playoff (presumably with Atlanta).

All this assumes the Phillies and Dodgers falter to some degree.

At this point, I'm just hoping we keep winning like this. It's pretty darn fun.

• Replies 634
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Cardinals are playing poorly, but I still don't expect them to lose more than 2-3 times to the Astros/Cubs. I hope they do, but that seems like a longshot. We'll see I guess, maybe they can play that spoiler role. That requires them losing a minimum of 3 to the Nationals and Reds. Which is possible, but keep in mind those teams might not be playing for much or might be setting up their rotation for the playoffs so it's not a given that they will lose 3.

I think the Brewers probably can't go any worse than 12-3, possibly 11-4 to have a realistic shot.

I wonder if back on August 17th, RR got all the players together in the clubhouse and gave him the Lou Brown speech that he figures it's gonna 32 more wins to win this thing. Who would they be undressing with each victory????? I kept thinking Wendy Selig as a joke, but I don't think they would have wanted to win anymore games. And then I started thinking about it myself and I gave myself nightmares.

The Astros are so bad. If STL and MIL both win today; it is going to be a tall order for MIL not to fall farther behind before the WAS series is done. Please Hou just pull one game out of your behind please.

Yeah, but the odds of Bud Norris out-dueling Jaime Garcia seem slim.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I wonder how much more money the Brewers have made with this late season run through attendance, sales of food, drink, and merch, etc? This run has had to net to the Crew some nice money compared to being 10 plus games out.

The Astros are so bad. If STL and MIL both win today; it is going to be a tall order for MIL not to fall farther behind before the WAS series is done. Please Hou just pull one game out of your behind please.

Yeah, but the odds of Bud Norris out-dueling Jaime Garcia seem slim.

About a 32% chance, according to Vegas. Just takes a walks and a lucky HR to turn those odds upside down though.

Who would they be undressing with each victory?????

They wouldn't. They'd be ripping body parts off of a plaster mold of Chris Carpenter.

Or they could imitate the Cardinals and just undress Carpenter.

As much as I hated Beast Mode, ripping Carpenter's clothes off after playoff wins was way way way way way worse.

God, I hate the Cardinals.

Archived