Brewer Fanatic

2nd half optimism!!

torts
  • Replies 634
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor

This almost seems like some sort of Hollywood deal. The Brewers keep winning, and somehow, everyone in front of them keeps losing.

I still am just hoping, and not expecting, but having relevant baseball in mid-September is a pleasant surprise.

Of course, I still can't get over the fact that if our bullpen hadn't stunk to high heaven for the bulk of the season, this would all be moot at this point.

This is unbelievable.

The Phillies are also on fire, and their schedule is much easier than the Brewers'.

9 games against the nationals and braves. Not sure I buy that it is much easier. Brewers have 4 seriers against awful teams (yes the Pirates are awful regardless of the one hot month they had putting them over .500). Then they play the Nats and the Reds. I'd still say the Phillies have a tougher schedule.

The one thing that bothers me in all of this is how the media seems to be painting the Phillies as some huge story about how a good team will eventually persevere if all of their stars just keep working hard but the Brewers are just some afterthought who isn't even in the race yet.

Community Moderator
The one thing that bothers me in all of this is how the media seems to be painting the Phillies as some huge story about how a good team will eventually persevere if all of their stars just keep working hard but the Brewers are just some afterthought who isn't even in the race yet.

I don't watch TV, but it seems at least online that the articles have been fair to both teams. The media loves an underdog.

What is funny is that the supposed "star power" of the Phillies is a myth. Despite this run, they are older than the Brewers and fading. Besides, who was in the NLCS last year again? How many players on the 2012 Phillies were even on the world championship team? 5 maybe?

Meanwhile, even Arizona wants in on the fun now, they are 70-72 with 3% playoff odds. There could be a real mess if nobody can pull away from the pack.

This almost seems like some sort of Hollywood deal. The Brewers keep winning, and somehow, everyone in front of them keeps losing.

I still am just hoping, and not expecting, but having relevant baseball in mid-September is a pleasant surprise.

Of course, I still can't get over the fact that if our bullpen hadn't stunk to high heaven for the bulk of the season, this would all be moot at this point.

Yea, even with as bad as the pen was for so long, if they just could have blown say 3-4 less games.

Think back to that series in Philadelphia. The Brewers easily could have swept that three game series instead of being swept if not for the bullpen. That not only would have us tied for the Wild Card, it would have the surging Phillies three games behind the Brewers.

I still remember mostly laughing at the time of those blown games in Philadelphia because i assumed the Brewers were dead in the water anyways, plus it would force Melvin to trade Greinke. How times have changed and that Phillies series debacle now really hurts in retrospect.

I will agree with an earlier comment that I don't like the one game wild card "playoff". It should be 3 games minimum.

However, having said that, adding the extra wild card spot is really starting to live up to the expectations I'm sure MLB hoped for. Without it, Mil, LA, AZ, Pitt, Philly are not really in it at this point and StL would be 5.5 games out of it. For the most part, all the playoff spots would have been pretty much decided at this point.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

I like the 1 game wild card because it gives division winners a clear edge in the playoffs. If it is a 3 game series you pitch your best guy in the 1st game and he is rested by the 1st game of the 'real playoffs'. This system makes it harder on wild card teams and I think that is how it should be.

I like the 1 game wild card because it gives division winners a clear edge in the playoffs. If it is a 3 game series you pitch your best guy in the 1st game and he is rested by the 1st game of the 'real playoffs'. This system makes it harder on wild card teams and I think that is how it should be.

The problem with that is that the division winners are not always the best teams in the league. Look at the AL this year. Chicago or Detroit will win the Central and a case could be made that both WC teams that end up qualifying in the AL will be better than either of these teams. Also, Atlanta may end up having a 10 game lead over the 2nd wild card team when all is said and done, yet they only get one game to prove they are better in the post season. One game is not enough in baseball.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

hey guys, i am so happy i made this thread <3 never lose hope, keep your optimism strong, the series against the buccos next week is HUGE. CANNOT WAIT. ALL I CAN SAY IS JUST KEEP ON TRUCKIN',

DONT STOP

BELIEVIN'''''''''''''''''''

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

I agree with Ennder and with Owbc.

1.) Agree with Ennder in that I also got the sense that the national media is sort of handing it over to the Phils, and anointing them the WC spot. I am forced to buy the MLB package every year to watch the Brewers bc I live in the Philly region, and the coverage here is getting obnoxious. The fans and media have been killing this team all year. But, I get why it's the way it is locally, nationally is a different story. I did see nice a piece yesterday in the Sporting News (online) saying that Braun should absolutely get NL MVP, but that he won't.

2.) Agree with Owbc that the Phils star power is a myth. Inconsistent bats top to bottom of that lineup. The Phils are still stacked with starting pitching though, that's a pretty big advantage. Their pen is nothing more than our own.

I've seen more optimism at a hospice.....

im calling shenanigans... you've never been to a hospice. [expletive deleted by mod]

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

Archived