Brewer Fanatic

2nd half optimism!!

torts
  • Replies 634
  • Created
  • Last Reply
hi, i'm brewerterp and my team is in a pennant race.

Fighting for a chance to get into a one-game playoff to be the last team in the postseason is definitely not a pennant race.

I realize this is the optimism thread, but the Brewers are fighting to finish with the 5th best record in the NL.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Fighting for a chance to get into a one-game playoff to be the last team in the postseason is definitely not a pennant race.

I realize this is the optimism thread, but the Brewers are fighting to finish with the 5th best record in the NL.

while true, this is baseball in 2012. you can win a pennant a number of different ways now (just ask the cardinals).

semantics.

Stating the obvious, if you can make it into the playoffs, even if it's as the 5th-worst team and merely earn the right to play a one-game "play-in" to the NLDS, you still have a chance.

"Pennant race" is a semantically incorrect phrase (since the regular season itself hasn't automatically decided the pennant for 50 years or whatever) and "pennant chase" or "playoff hunt" are probably more apropos for the current day. . . . But ultimately that's not the point!

The point is that the Brewers are playing in a way which, if they can keep it up, gives them a solid/fighting chance to make the postseason. They're out of it by less at this point than the Cardinals were on this date last year. A lot can happen, good or bad. But being in this position right now sure as heck beats a September where the best they can possibly hope for is getting a good, thorough, & positive MLB look at a number of prospects.

Granted, there are a zillion reasons why the Brewers should be far better than a .500 team right now. But things didn't work out that way and, for how crappy much of the season has been, I'm thrilled we're finally back at .500 and playing good ball. I can't wait to follow each day's game online or on the radio if I'm driving carpools or running errands (106.3 FM out of River Falls carries at least somewhat across most of the Twin Cities metro area).

The greatest feeling in the world is when you hope for the impossible to happen, and it happens. When it doesn't happen, I am not discouraged nor even disappointed, as it was impossible in the first place. But when it does happen...

pitchleague, I'm with you. I put $5 on the Brewers to win it all back in late August in Vegas. payout would be $2505. I thought it was optimistic but fun. Surprisingly the fiance asked "wait, if you think they can do it, why not put $20 or $100 on them?" I had no answer, since I was up $2k and can find lots of other stupid things to wager it on.

Really?

First off it's not a one game playoff to be the last team. If you win the 2nd wild card you are technically in the playoffs. You can hang a banner for it and everything. So by default, yes the Brewers are in a pennant race.

Second off, fighting for the 5th best record in the NL? The Cardinals last year, the Marlins twice, The Red Sox in 04, the Angels in 02 all have won the world series as the wild card. I highly doubt they were "fighting for 4th best record".

For the last month or so, my "unrealistic" goal for the Brewers was just to get to .500. Now, it's to simply catch the Pirates. Just happy to see some nice baseball and hopefully see the Brewers spoil it for the Cards, one way or another.

First off it's not a one game playoff to be the last team. If you win the 2nd wild card you are technically in the playoffs. You can hang a banner for it and everything.

You are technically correct but if this format sticks, I can't see people considering it the playoffs in 5 years. Seems like it is destined to be considered a play in game, with the winner entering the playoffs. I just can't see a team winning 85 games, losing that 1 play in game and still feeling right about hoisting up a "Wildcard" banner. Maybe I will be wrong though.

THAT 3 GAME SERIES IN THE BURGH NEXT WEEK IS MASSIVE!! GOING ON TUESDAY WITH MY WIFE AND HER STUDENTS, WILL BE REPPIN HARD FROM THE NOSEBLEEDS, I CAN TELL YOU RIGHT NOW, I AM FEELIN' THIS SOMETHIN FIERCE!!!!!!

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

BREWERS ARE 21-7 AT HOME SINCE THE ALL STAR BREAK

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

Optimism is a good thing.

The local press seems to think that we'd save everyone the time and trouble if we just went out and shot ourselves. Me, I'm for wasting sportswriters' time. So I figured we ought to hang around for a while and see if we can give 'em all a nice big shitburger to eat!

OPTIMISM IS A GREAT THING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

I am optimistic but the upcoming roadtrip is keeping me from getting to excited.

If they could somehow be within 2 games going into the last homestand aginst HOU and SD that would be ideal. However that means they probably have to win today and at a minimum go 6-3 or 7-2 on the roadtrip through CIN, PIT, and WAS. That is going to be extremely unlikely. Yes PIT has fallen off a cliff but winning series against CIN and WAS, the two best teams in the NL, is going to be a huge task.

I am optimistic but the upcoming roadtrip is keeping me from getting to excited.

If they could somehow be within 2 games going into the last homestand aginst HOU and SD that would be ideal. However that means they probably have to win today and at a minimum go 6-3 or 7-2 on the roadtrip through CIN, PIT, and WAS. That is going to be extremely unlikely. Yes PIT has fallen off a cliff but winning series against CIN and WAS, the two best teams in the NL, is going to be a huge task.

Washington really concerns me - they're staying hot and I don't expect a series win there. That's not looking good for the Crew.

Cinci is a different story....Philly and Houston just won 2 of 3 over them at GAB. Are they starting to slump a bit?

Washington lost 2 of the 3 to the Marlins over the weekend. Before that they swept the Cubs and now they've won 2 straight against the reeling Mets. Big Deal. They'll likely have clinched by the time the Brewer get there. Brewers will need 3 of 4 there, but it's not impossible. Just to get to this point, the Brewers have defied the odds. Besides, the Dodgers and Cards still have to play Washington too. Coolstandings has the Brewers "up" to a 4% playoff chance now. That's 1 in 25. Who'd have thought just a few weeks ago the Brewers would be playing meaningful games in September?

sweep the pirates

split the nationals

series win in cincy

7-3 road trip record

I BELIEVE THIS IS DOABLE!!!!

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

Archived