2nd half optimism!!

torts
  • Replies 634
  • Created
  • Last Reply
LETS GO BREWERS!!! I BELIEVE!!!!!!!!!!

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

2 UNDER .500!!! THIS IS WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT BAY-BEEE!!!!!!

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

I lost satellite/cable in early June and haven't been able to watch many games. Probably why they have started winning. I for won love the late season push. Hopefully it will carry into next season!

"Every day is a new opportunity. You can build on yesterday's success or put its failures behind and start over again. That's the way life is, with a new game every day, and that's the way baseball is." - Bob Feller

Follow me @BrewerMoose

Why were we so bad up until the end of July?

Somehow we traded our best pitcher for a player of really no immediate value -- and got better. 100 games seems like a long time to just be really unlucky.

It can't just be attributed to a bullpen return to the norm. There's been a little improvement, but 27th out of 30 is still pretty bad.

I think the lineup 1-7 is as good as any right now.

Before that road trip, we have one more against the Cards, then 6 games at home.

Don't underestimate the power of confidence. This team won 96 last year, and I think they're starting to believe they can get back in it.

We've won 15 of our last 19, and it all started with the 3 game sweep of the Cubbies.

You've got to believe. I do. I've never given up hope. A true fan doesn't stop believing until they're mathematically eliminated.

As long as you've got life left, you fight like hell. And the Brewers are doing just that.

There are three things America will be known for 2000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. They're the three most beautifully designed things this culture has ever produced. Gerald Early

What I'm saying is - win out make miraculous playoff appearance or who cares

I care. I like having a season that was interesting with good story lines. If that happens by a nice run late that falls short I may be disappointed but I sure as hell cared. When all is said and done if this team comes up with a nice little run that even gets us close but falls short it will have been a fun ride to the finish. This is all being done with a bunch of rookies playing key roles. What a great way for them to get a little taste of September if nothing else.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Community Moderator

Remaining schedule has a big effect on their chances. The path is wide open IF they keep winning. The Dodgers and Cardinals play a 4-game series next weekend, so in the ideal case of a 2-2 split, they have a chance to make up more ground.

After that, LA has 9 games on the road also--at Washington, Cincinnati, and San Diego.

St. Louis has the upcoming west coast trip, but unfortunately they play 9 straight against Houston and Cubs after that (although at least 6/9 of those games are on the road). They definitely have the easiest schedule. So it is crucial to get another game back tomorrow if they want any chance.

The Pirates are letting a golden opportunity get away this weekend, but they still have 12 more against the Mets/Cubs/Astros also so they can't be neglected even if they are treading water.

With three teams ahead of them, the Brewers can't count on getting much help, you have to figure at least one of those teams is going to go a few games over .500 the rest of the way.The Brewers can probably afford to lose only about 5 more games the rest of the way, 18-5 to finish 87-75 should do it for sure, with a little luck maybe they could get into a tiebreaker at 86 or 85. They are 15-5 in their last 20, so they just have to repeat what they have been doing. If one of the teams ahead of them gets hot, that's it.

Things would get more complicated if the Braves choke and fall back into the pack. They are 20 over .500 and 5 1/2 up on St. Louis, but a sweep by the Brewers combined with some help could get them back closer to everyone else.

Since this is the optimism thread, I won't comment on what I think will happen. But for what it's worth, past years have shown that teams playing from behind with nothing to lose can put lots of pressure on the teams above them in the standings. So their odds might be higher than statistical analysis would suggest.

They have 23 games left. Optimistically, I would say they need to go 17-6 and maybe better. With one of the wins being tomorrow.

They need to sweep every easy team left on their home schedule -- Mets, Astros, and Padres. They can afford a few losses on the ten game road trip against the Pirates, Nationals, and Reds. Maybe 1 against the Braves. That's about it.

I stand by the statement I made to a friend about a week ago... If they sweep tomorrow, they will make the playoffs. Kemp may be injured, McCutchen is ice cold right now, and the cards certainly seem to have their players falling back to earth/ getting injured. If the cardinals have shown us anything in the past five years it's that all you need is a lot of offense and a couple decent pitchers to go on a ridiculous run.
"Did I ever tell you how I became a Postman Abby? I don't know if you'd laugh or cry"-The Postman

just for giggles, I put $5.00 down on the Brewers to win the pennant while I was in Laughlin this morning placing some football bets.

500/1 odds.

Yeah, it's a huge long shot but it was five bucks.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

The Pirates were never in the playoff race, regardless of what the record said. They had a hot streak that put them in position but they were never good enough to really be in it.

Yeah, but one has to give them credit for sticking around in contention for so long. I really think next year the Pirates could displace the Cardinals and/or Reds as a perennial NL Central contender for a while. They're not going to be our annual doormat team either.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I LOVE THIS THREAD, I LOVE OPTIMISM!! NEVER LET IT DIE! LETS MAKE THIS HAPPEN!!!! FINALS 6 GAMES AT HOME AGAINST HOUSTON AND SAN DIEGO! THIS IS WHAT I LIVE FOR!

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

The Pirates were never in the playoff race, regardless of what the record said. They had a hot streak that put them in position but they were never good enough to really be in it.

Did't you say the A's were not in the playoff race as well?

They are 2.5 games out of the wild card race. That statement makes no sense at all.

They're 6 back of the final wild card with 23 games left and a lot of teams in the mix.

They are out of contention.

I admit, I got back on the wagon. Had they won yesterday, I maybe still on it.

It's unicorns and leprechauns at this point. The run was fun though.

Archived