Brewer Fanatic

2nd half optimism!!

torts

Dang iPad lost my post. Yes, I do need to apologize. You never really gave up on the year (that I'm aware of), but you did advocate a rather large rebuilding effort from day 1. I'm sorry I have mixed those two up.

And yes I advocated trading those 5 guys. But I felt a) they weren't contributing to success and b) they wouldn't be with us next year. Two are gone, and I can't really justify keeping the other three next year (although I can see scenarios where things could change). I never advocated dealing the all-star core of our team-- Weeks, Hart (at 1b), Braun, Yo, Axford, Ramirez, Lucroy, or Greinke. I never felt the benefits of the deals would outweigh the costs (I'm an Econ guy). I was pleasantly surprised with the Greinke deal, though. I felt we'd seen too any great stretches catapault teams into he playoffs to give up in July. The famed Moneyball streak, the Rockies streak, the '11 Brewers, and the '11 Cards come to mind, along with the '10-11 Packers and '11-12 Giants.

Do I think we'll win it this year? No. But I've long argued our team should be fine. With an adequate bullpen, we probably should be leading the division....but unfortunately it didn't play out as we expected.

Others indicated they wouldn't mind us losing for draft position. Draft picks are nice, but they don't mean you'll have success. Drafting wisely/successfully does. Therefore I always advocate trying hard to win games. I just wish we had recent draft success, whether picking top 10 or bottom 10.

• Replies 634
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think they'll actually make the playoffs but I can say I'm impressed they didn't mail it in after Zack got traded.

Given the gut punches they've had from the bullpen, it's refreshing to see them playing hard and smart for the most part. Plenty of other teams that moved parts have dipped dramatically. I think it says something about these guys and makes me hope they stay in it.

"I never made a mistake in my life. I thought I did once, but I was wrong." - Charles M. Schulz

If they make it, the same guys that made the run the get us to the playoffs. Gallardo-Fiers-Estrada-Marcum in this case.

Funny, I was under the impression Fiers and Estrada of that group would be shut down before the end of the season as will Rogers and a few other young guys.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

6 more home runs for Gomez and he becomes a 20 HR 30 SB guy and maybe they can get something really good for him over the winter!

Why in the world would you want that to happen?

What, trading Gomez? Because he is only under control for one more season, the chance he signs a multiyear extension with Boras as his agent is nil, the Brewers are covered in CF and the downside risk of keeping him is great.

If they make it, the same guys that made the run the get us to the playoffs. Gallardo-Fiers-Estrada-Marcum in this case.

Funny, I was under the impression Fiers and Estrada of that group would be shut down before the end of the season as will Rogers and a few other young guys.

Yeah, ya got me on that one with Fiers. Thought about that this morning. However, I haven't heard anything about Estrada being shut down.

Yeah, ya got me on that one with Fiers. Thought about that this morning. However, I haven't heard anything about Estrada being shut down.

Rogers has already been shut down.

This is what I found on a quick search of Estrada.

Ditto for righty Marco Estrada, whose workload is under watch because he is in the midst of his heaviest workload since 2009. Estrada worked 89 2/3 innings last season, when he pitched mostly for the Brewers in relief, but has already thrown 97 2/3 innings this year between the Brewers and Nashville.

Granted that isn't 100% and we really don't know how far they will let him go but I would think it is a strong indication he wouldn't e available for the playoffs if they were talking about shutting him down before the end of the season. There was talk of a 6 man rotation. I think that would hurt our chances though. So if we did make the playoffs I think our pitching would not be as good as it is now and we wouldn't be near as good.

I blame Wang.

Estrada was a guest of the live broadcast yesterday and they asked him about being possibly shut down. He told Craig and Bill that no one has said anything to him about it, and he's planning on pitching the rest of the way.

He pitched 150+ innings in 2008 and he's already 29 years old... I don't think the Brewers are too concerned about his innings.

ALL I CAN SAY IS.....

.500 HERE WE COME!!!!!

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

Estrada was a guest of the live broadcast yesterday and they asked him about being possibly shut down. He told Craig and Bill that no one has said anything to him about it, and he's planning on pitching the rest of the way.

He pitched 150+ innings in 2008 and he's already 29 years old... I don't think the Brewers are too concerned about his innings.

I took it to mean that they were worried about his innings when they said they were monitoring his innings but I could be mistaken. I agree at 29 I wouldn't be worried about his innings anymore. I wouldn't worry about innings as much with a guy going from the pen to the rotation like I would be with a starter increasing innings. Pitching out of the pen puts more stress on a pitcher's arm than I would think starting would. At least if you were used quite a bit.

I blame Wang.

28 games remain, need to go 15 - 13 to end at .500! I AM BUYING THAT UP ALL DAY, EVERY DAY.

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Lose games to improve draft position is also pointless in baseball....unless you have the first like three picks in the draft.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

What I'm saying is - win out make miraculous playoff appearance or who cares

Well, I for one, would care. I'd like to see the Brewers win more games than they lose for pure enjoyment. Try telling Pirates fans that .500 doesn't matter.

No, with 28 games remaining, they would need to go to 16-12 to end at .500. They are 4 under.

D'OH!

there is ALWAYS a point to get to .500+, its called WINNING, its something you strive to do in sports.

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

Every game is now it's own mutually exclusive event in my mind. Nothing that happens in one game really ties in with anything that happens in the other games remaining.

Playoffs? Not even a lingering thought in my head at this time. If we're within 3-4 games in a couple weeks with only one team between us and the final wild card spot, then I'll start to think about it. However, I just don't see that happening. Too much to overcome with not enough time. Just enjoy the baseball that's left and if we play the way we've been playing the last week or so, the last month of the season will be pretty enjoyable.

I realize that. Was not headed in that direction.

What I'm saying is - win out make miraculous playoff appearance or who cares

I care. I bet the players care. If you don't care, why are you paying attention? The players are talking about making a run.

Going to be a fun off-season either way.

"I never made a mistake in my life. I thought I did once, but I was wrong." - Charles M. Schulz

Archived