Brewer Fanatic

Are You Ready for the "Competitive Balance Lottery" - Brewers win second round pick

splitterpfj
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One thing I don't get is the almost complete lack of coverage this event is getting. Most of the links on the web take you to a video clip Jonathan Mayo did last November, when the new CBA was first announced.

I'm not sure why MLB wouldn't want to make some news with this....it was their idea, and it's the first time around.

It's very difficult to generate excitement when the draft isn't until next year and most of the players won't be in the majors for five years, if ever. However, you are correct that it doesn't appear that MLB is even trying at all.

Yes, the draft budget is increased if you win a pick.

Some year, you just know a team will blow out their budget, and if they do that, and lose their first round pick as a result, that first rounder will be awarded to another team via lottery as well.

Hey splitter

In addition to this, what happens when a team signs an FA to the draft pick they forfeit? If it doesn't go to the team that lost the FA, does it go into the lottery or just get wiped out?

Yes, the draft budget is increased if you win a pick.

Some year, you just know a team will blow out their budget, and if they do that, and lose their first round pick as a result, that first rounder will be awarded to another team via lottery as well.

Hey splitter

In addition to this, what happens when a team signs an FA to the draft pick they forfeit? If it doesn't go to the team that lost the FA, does it go into the lottery or just get wiped out?

I'm pretty sure there is a lottery for this pick as well. I'm not sure if its every remaining team, every remaining team that hasn't surrendered a pick, or something else. But I'm pretty sure this pick is lotto-ed as well.

This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

The top ten picks in the draft are protected, so if a team picking in the top ten signs a free agent, they do not lose their first round pick.

If one the other teams signs a free agent, they lose their first round pick, but it does not go to the team that lost the player, nor does it go into a lottery...that pick simply disappears, and the first round is condensed.

I'm pretty sure there is a lottery for this pick as well. I'm not sure if its every remaining team, every remaining team that hasn't surrendered a pick, or something else. But I'm pretty sure this pick is lotto-ed as well.

Disregard my post, I was thinking of the pick forfeited for going over budget during the draft.

This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

Somehow, Brewerfans, the team that gave Prince Fielder more than 200 million dollars is eligible to win one of the picks that will follow round two, in the interest of competitive balance.

http://www.baseballintheblood.com/?p=545

And the team that has won the World Series twice in the last ten years gets a pick too.

So we could potentially include this pick in a Grienke trade since the acquiring team cant get draft pick compensation in the offseason right? I suppose this could persuade a team to give up an elite prospect if they otherwise wouldn't due to the lack of draft pick compensation. I am all for trading the pick if it means we could get an elite prospect for Grienke

So we could potentially include this pick in a Grienke trade since the acquiring team cant get draft pick compensation in the offseason right? I suppose this could persuade a team to give up an elite prospect if they otherwise wouldn't due to the lack of draft pick compensation. I am all for trading the pick if it means we could get an elite prospect for Grienke

Assuming we get that pick, yes. I agree it would also be nice to use that as a sweetener to get a team to up the price on a Greinke trade.

I can handle the Cardinals being in there, since it is based on market size and team revenues. I realize they've had success, but this isn't about smart vs stupid, or lucky vs good...this is about economics. St Louis lost their franchise player this past winter, because someone else gave him a huge, ridiculous contract...which is what this lottery is about...getting young talent to the teams who are most likely to lose veteran talent over money.

The one that doesn't fit for me, is Detroit. If it's about money, or the likelihood of having enough money....how can Fielder get 214M from a team, and then have that team somehow qualify for a chance to "compete?"

Of course I'd like an overhaul to the rules, like allowing all picks to be traded, comp picks for rental players (like a team trading for Greinke now) and a worldwide draft.

Did baseball state their reasoning as to why they no longer will allow teams trading for a rental to then get comp picks if that player isn't resigned?

I know the big markets would hate this but I wonder if they could've done something where only a certain number of teams get comp picks. Like a certain number of the smallest markets/revenue teams could receive the comp picks of a team if a Type A/B FA signed with one of the biggest market/revenue teams. If it was small market to small market, big market to big market, or big market to small market, then nothing would happen. And then still keep what they have now where anybody tendered and turned down would receive a comp pick if they've been with the team all year. That way, everybody losing a FA could still get picks if they wanted, big markets could lose picks by signing away players from small markets, and small markets could get extra picks if they lost stud guys to the big markets.

Archived