Brewer Fanatic

Are You Ready for the "Competitive Balance Lottery" - Brewers win second round pick

splitterpfj

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Getting an extra early round pick almost every year that is tradeable seems to me like it more than makes up for the go way over slot on a number of players every year draft strategy. If we get one after the 1st round we could really be swimming in picks next year.

I REALLY like that these picks are tradable. I think thats the one thing that bothers me about MLB draft, that the picks are not allowed to be traded. at least this is a start, and its an extra bargaining chip prior to the deadline, and you wouldnt be losing a player you actually like.

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

Getting an extra early round pick almost every year that is tradeable seems to me like it more than makes up for the go way over slot on a number of players every year draft strategy. If we get one after the 1st round we could really be swimming in picks next year.

potential extra picks would be if they keep, player performance qualifies and offer arb to

Greinke

KRod?

Marcum?

would that be it?

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

Community Moderator

I'm not sure how the odds work but it seems unlikely that we will get a pick this year, probably 10-20% (maybe even less). We have the lowest odds out of any team on that list.

Next year the odds will be about 50/50.

■Baltimore - .426

■San Diego - .438

■Kansas City - .438

■Miami - .444

■Pittsburgh - .444

■Colorado - .451

■Oakland - .457

■Cincinnati - .488

■Cleveland - .494

■St Louis - .556

■Tampa Bay - .562

■Arizona - .580

■Milwaukee - .593

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

Community Moderator
My mistake, I was talking about the first round picks. The odds of getting a second round pick are much higher, although we are still most likely to be the odd team out.

We are the most likely to be left out but it is still more likely than not that we will get a pick. Looking at the list about half of the teams might be trying to add players by the trade deadline so it will be interesting to see how willing they will be to trade their free pick.

This is pretty dumb. The smarter thing to do in the CBA would be to allow all picks to be traded, teams trading for a half year rental to get draft pick compensation and unlimited draft budgets.

I should also add that if you draft a player and he doesn't sign, he stays as the property of the team that drafted him and can't re-enter the draft.

Does the draft budget increase at all with another pick? If it doesn't this is stupid and probably hurts teams more than it helps.

my understanding is that your draft budget reflects the number of picks you have in each of the first 10 rounds. so if you have 3 1st rd picks, 2 nd rd picks your budget will be higher than someone who has just one in each round. its determined by the slot money for each pick you have

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

Does the draft budget increase at all with another pick? If it doesn't this is stupid and probably hurts teams more than it helps.

my understanding is that your draft budget reflects the number of picks you have in each of the first 10 rounds. so if you have 3 1st rd picks, 2 nd rd picks your budget will be higher than someone who has just one in each round. its determined by the slot money for each pick you have

I hope that's true, otherwise you get screwed the more picks you have.

Perhaps all picks should be tradeable and such, but it seems very reasonable to look at this as a way for a conservative institution to try that out and see what sorts of ramifications it has. And with 12/13 teams getting picks the Brewers are very likely to get an extra pick, but they also end up being the one team most likely to end up without an extra one. You just have to be careful how you phrase and think about it.

Yes, the draft budget is increased if you win a pick.

Some year, you just know a team will blow out their budget, and if they do that, and lose their first round pick as a result, that first rounder will be awarded to another team via lottery as well.

Perhaps all picks should be tradeable and such, but it seems very reasonable to look at this as a way for a conservative institution to try that out and see what sorts of ramifications it has. And with 12/13 teams getting picks the Brewers are very likely to get an extra pick, but they also end up being the one team most likely to end up without an extra one. You just have to be careful how you phrase and think about it.

I agree they should take it slow. I think this is a way for the league to ensure an owner doesn't trade away too much of his team's future. Also they may not want teams to try to acquire more than "their share" of picks in any one particular draft - and might want to see how that goes.

It's another band aid and typical of baseball that has refused for 30 years to address the real problem. Wake me up when there is a salary cap and local tv and radio revenues are shared.

No problem. You go to sleep for about 2.5 years while MLB is on strike and we'll get this done.

It's not like MLB has taken giant steps in the right direction. It's not like the Yankees are expected to let Swisher go because they don't want to go over the luxury tax. It's not like the Brewers sitting at nearly 110 in payroll this year, and making record profits AND are stepping into a new TV deal next year.

There is inequality in every sport. Probably nearly as much in the NBA which has a salary cap as MLB which doesn't and never will. And there is still a ton of inequality in the NFL. Just the words salary cap don't mean a whole lot if a team has several ways around it and can spend significantly more than what the "cap," is.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

It's another band aid and typical of baseball that has refused for 30 years to address the real problem. Wake me up when there is a salary cap and local tv and radio revenues are shared.

No problem. You go to sleep for about 2.5 years while MLB is on strike and we'll get this done.

It's not like MLB has taken giant steps in the right direction. It's not like the Yankees are expected to let Swisher go because they don't want to go over the luxury tax. It's not like the Brewers sitting at nearly 110 in payroll this year, and making record profits AND are stepping into a new TV deal next year.

There is inequality in every sport. Probably nearly as much in the NBA which has a salary cap as MLB which doesn't and never will. And there is still a ton of inequality in the NFL. Just the words salary cap don't mean a whole lot if a team has several ways around it and can spend significantly more than what the "cap," is.

There is inequality in every sport. That is true. But what I think JB was getting at is ... with a salary cap in football, the discrepency of money spent on players isn't nearly as large as the Yankee's vs Rays. There is no other sport that would allow that.

Not to get off of topic but if it took a year long strike to get this done I think most fans would be ok with that. All Baseball's side has to do is make it clear that they are doing it to control skyrocketing salaries and help give every team the same opportunity and most fans would understand. I'd be willing to give up a year or two to get a salary cap, shared revenue, and a world wide draft (another joke.....if you are from Canada or Puerto Rico you have to be drafted by if you are from Cuba or Japan you can sign with the highest bidder?)

As far as the draft goes, I think if Baltimore of Pittsburgh can get a pick after the first round it would make them a little more compatible with us on the Zack Greinke front. Considering the pick would basically be where we get one for letting Greinke walk it might make a trade more appealing. I'd still prefer an actual prospect but at least it would give Pitt and/or Baltimore a little more ammo.

Of course I'd like an overhaul to the rules, like allowing all picks to be traded, comp picks for rental players (like a team trading for Greinke now) and a worldwide draft... But since that isn't happening, this actually seems pretty cool. I had forgotten about this. I'll be interested to see how many of these picks are traded over the next few weeks. If none are, MLB might look pretty bad, because it wouldn't have had much of an impact.

In thinking some more I wonder if this might not make some trades a little easier. Afterall the draft pick largely eliminates the difficulty of finding a guy with the right talent level at the position you want when trying to set-up trades. A high draft pick basically means you get to pick the type of prospect you want.

Archived