Brewer Fanatic

Weeks

I know many will conclude that this would be selling low however, with Weeks heating up many GMs would recognize that his first half was an aberration and he's returning to norm. Having said that, there is one team that appears to be searching for a second baseman. Detroit. Would a reunion with Prince be worth Nick Castellanos to the Tigers?

I doubt Detroit would give up Castellanos for Weeks but I'd do it instantly. Taylor Green can handle 2nd base for a year until Scooter Gennett is ready. You'd pretty much have to punt on 2013 if you trade Greinke and Weeks but at this point I think it might be inevitable anyway.

If you can somehow acquire Castellanos for Weeks by 2014 you add in him plus Gennett and probably a pitcher or two (Bradley, Burgos, Jungmann, Nelson) and maybe some other guys (Morris, Kh. Davis). This in addition to presumed 2013 regulars Thornburg, Peralta, Fiers and Rogers (bullpen) and the core players in Braun Gallardo and Lucroy and 2014 could really be the beginning of something good.

Exactly Paul! With Marcum,Wolf,K-Rod, and, in this scenario, Weeks salaries all off the books, you could make Greinke an outstanding offer and still field a team that would be threat to contend while cementing 3b for years. Can we get Prince to go to the Tigers GM and plead for them to trade for Rickie? :)

I'd be fine with that too, but Weeks probably needs to tear it up between now and the end of the month before he gets most of his value back. Seems like he could be on his way, though.

Weeks, Hart, Axford are the type of out-of-the-box trade candidates that I don't see Melvin shopping/Attanasio allowing Melvin to shop. They have the most value, and therefore would bring back the best return.

I'd be fine with that too, but Weeks probably needs to tear it up between now and the end of the month before he gets most of his value back. Seems like he could be on his way, though.

Weeks, Hart, Axford are the type of out-of-the-box trade candidates that I don't see Melvin shopping/Attanasio allowing Melvin to shop. They have the most value, and therefore would bring back the best return.

Until you decide to punt 2013, which won't happen until you are sure you can't bring in a top flight pitcher, you don't trade them.

If you could get Castellanos for Weeks, then I think you have to do it. I'd be curious how true Melvin's comments are about trading hitters in the offseason vs. trading them at the deadline. It will be interesting to see how aggressive Detroit is at the deadline given that they aren't having as good a year as most had expected. However, if they aren't aggressive at the deadline, they will probably be very aggressive in the offseason. If we can't get something good for Weeks right now, we should definitely be able to get value in the winter.

Considering Weeks for Castellanos for Weeks now would probably be a reach I think its fair offer. At this time next season we are going to be trying to figure out what to do with Scooter Gennett so trading Weeks now before other teams know we have a replacement for him might help his value a tad.

Until you decide to punt 2013, which won't happen until you are sure you can't bring in a top flight pitcher, you don't trade them.

If they trade Greinke, they're punting 2013. They won't get a top flight pitcher if it's not Greinke. They can't afford to keep trading prospects, and they probably don't have enough in their system to get one anyway.

For what it's worth Green's ZIPS projection coming into the season was a .264/ .326/ .423 line. A little under Weeks career .777 OPS. Even crediting Weeks for his more recent performances and his looks like more of a lower .800 OPS guy (pretty good for a second basemen) but a long way away from Aramis and the nearly .900 career OPS. In short in a hypothetical world where you would get the same prospect talent back for Weeks and Aramis trading Weeks looks like it gives you a more competitive team for next year as well.

Well I wouldn't trade him if his value is low. I think it's possible that if he keeps up his very recent hot hitting over the next couple weeks, his value can be restored. If not, then obviously you keep him.

We most likely could have gotten better than Gomez for Hardy...but how much better? Hindsight is definitely 20/20 on that trade since we traded Escobar as well, but at the time Hardy had no value, did not want to change positions, and had absolutely no place on the team. Gomez was an upside guy that still hasn't panned out production wise, but he's been a huge contributor in key moments for the Brewers.

In short: I hate complaining about the Hardy trade...

Prior to this season, I thought we should start shopping Weeks next offseason, and I got crucified for mentioning it because Weeks is "too important to the team." If the right offer came around, I'd trade him this season, but I think we'll be better off waiting until he "gets it together." I have little doubt that he will turn things around, and maybe he's already started the upward climb. The problem is that if he ends this season on a tear, we won't trade him because he's "too important to the team in 2013." The only way we'll trade him is if he continues to stink up the joint and we'd get little back for him.

If my cynicism doesn't hold true, and we trade Weeks this offseason after a hot second half to the season, I think we could get a big return for him. The receiving team would receive 2-3 years of an All-Star caliber 2B and they would get comp picks when he leaves. In that case, we may be aiming low asking for one guy with six years of control and a lot of potential for one guy with three years of control (including his option) who is one of the best players at his position in the game.

Think about it... what would someone give up to get Adam Jones, who has similar career numbers to Weeks (Jones has 6 years, 2500 AB to Weeks' 8 years 3200 AB, and Weeks' OPS is .006 points higher)? Maybe not a perfect example because Jones is going into year 3 arby next year, while Weeks is locked up for a few seasons, but something to think about.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Jones signed a long term extension earlier this season and is locked in longer than Weeks and for more money.

Thank you, Cot's needs to be updated :-)

Also, Jones is probably a better player as he's more consistant and plays better defense. I just threw a name out there that had some similarities to show that Weeks is a pretty valuable player who is having a down year. Right now, his value is probably lower than normal, so it's probably not a good time to trade him. I believe that he will turn things around. If he does so in the second half of this season, we could probably get decent value for him in the offseason. If he doesn't turn things around, I'd hold onto him for next year.

At normal or peak value, three guaranteed years of Weeks should be worth more than six guaranteed years of almost any individual prospect. At today's probable perceived value, we may not even get a top prospect for Weeks. If Weeks had a .829 OPS right now (which is his 3-year average) instead of his current .660 OPS, would people happily trade him for Castellanos straight up, when Cstellanos is still a couple of years out and knowing that anything can happen in those couple of years? Or, would we demand more for an .829 OPSing second baseman with three-and-a-half years left of team control?

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Archived