Brewer Fanatic

Tyler Thornburg called up, Tim Dillard Outrighted off 40-man roster

Mass Haas
  • Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not sure this has been brought up yet, but perhaps Melvin is looking to use Thornburg as a late inning relief ace because KRod and Axford aren't getting the job done. If Thornburg is plugged into the 8th or 9th innings, perhaps he can have a Wainwright like effect on the Brewers as he had on the 2006 Cardinals and we start slamming the door on close games and that puts us back into the race.

Sure, it risks Thornburg's future, but that can be worked around. If it helps us win more games in 2012 while we still have Greinke and Marcum, I'm all for it. Count me in as a supporter of this move no matter how it plays out.

For whatever reason, I hadn't really considered TuesdaysWithRillo's suggestion. I just assumed he'd be garbage time guy or maybe the 7th inning. I would love to see him used in pressure situations, he doesn't seem to back down from it. Long term, I'd give him his shot at starting. To me, pitching frame is something you look at when drafting, after that, you let results speak.

If he is going to be used in high pressure situations why not just let him start? I can't imagine Roenecke would be all that excited at the idea of using a guy who has all of 5 major league innings late in a one run game.

Let's not over think this. Deep down we all know how Thornburg will be used. He'll be used in either mop up duty or when a starter can't go more than 4 or 5 innings and we need someone to eat some innings up.

last night wasnt mop up duty

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

It will be interesting if Greinkie is traded because Peralta has been lights out and probably deserves a chance.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I removed a message that referred to a Brewer reliever as a "p.o.s." Please note the following from Fan Forum Etiquette:

Do not use acronyms, abbreviations or creative spelling to avoid the cuss filter. This includes replacing letters in cuss words with characters or spaces. As an example, the use of "BS" is not allowed when intended to stand for a cuss word ("what a load of BS"), but is allowed when intended to stand for non-cusses (Ben Sheets, blown save, bachelor of science, etc.).

Thanks!

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

I removed a message that referred to a Brewer reliever as a "p.o.s." Please note the following from Fan Forum Etiquette:

Do not use acronyms, abbreviations or creative spelling to avoid the cuss filter. This includes replacing letters in cuss words with characters or spaces. As an example, the use of "BS" is not allowed when intended to stand for a cuss word ("what a load of BS"), but is allowed when intended to stand for non-cusses (Ben Sheets, blown save, bachelor of science, etc.).

Thanks!

Brutal.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

With Thornburg getting this spot start today while Greinke "recharges his batteries" (That's apparently Melvin-speak for "waits to be traded"), it's apparent that the Brewers' intent may have been to let Thornburg into the rotation much sooner than they initially let on.

So in less than a month Thornburg goes from AA rotation to AAA rotation to major league rotation to major league bullpen back to major league rotation and now back to major league bullpen.

This is exactly why I didn't like the move to call him back up and throw him into the bullpen. He has been completely void of any sort of routine for about a month now. What good has letting him pitch out of the bullpen done for either him or the team?

So in less than a month Thornburg goes from AA rotation to AAA rotation to major league rotation to major league bullpen back to major league rotation and now back to major league bullpen.

This is exactly why I didn't like the move to call him back up and throw him into the bullpen. He has been completely void of any sort of routine for about a month now. What good has letting him pitch out of the bullpen done for either him or the team?

To be fair he was only ever really a spot starter.

I wish they'd just send him back to AAA to get innings. He has no place on this team even with Marcum injured, so long as Greinke comes back to the rotation for his next start. He has thrown ~70 innings in A, A+, and AA and has started one game in AAA. Let the guy finish this season starting every five days in AAA and don't even consider him for the rotation next year unless he completely dominates.

Archived