Brewer Fanatic

Tyler Thornburg called up, Tim Dillard Outrighted off 40-man roster

Mass Haas

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I almost don't want them to do well during this stretch because then they won't sell off Greinke, KRod, etc. or worse, they might actually buy. I know I've said it a lot but this is not a playoff team (even if you added Thornburg and a couple of guys to the bullpen) and they likely wouldn't make it far even if they made the playoffs. Now is the time to restock for the future.
This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

so glad those sideburns are gone

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

Can we move Wolf to the bullpen instead? I wonder what they'll do when Marcum is ready. Fiers has definitely earned the chance to keep starting, Estrada has been surprisingly good and Wolf has sucked all year. Of course, Greinke might be gone then anyway.

RR: How's your pitching, Thorny?

Thorny: Good. I've been on the black all morning.

RR: What about that little guy?

[points to a batter crumbled on the ground after taking a bean ball]

Thorny: Who, that little guy? I wouldn't worry about that little guy.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Why not just leave him in AAA then?

I'm so sick of the decisions this management has made. Always short term thinking with gigantic blinders towards the future.

I would guess most posters here agree with the move, I do. Thornburg is going to get big league experience and keep his innings down. I think it's a guarantee that at least one of Marcum, Greinke, and Wolf is going to be traded and then he'll get his chance to start.

I'm so sick of the decisions this management has made. Always short term thinking with gigantic blinders towards the future.

Agreed. If he winds up in the bullpen the rest of the year, his innings will be way down. What will happen next year when he may be asked to step into the rotation? He would likely be on an innings limit 30-50 innings less than if he was left starting (or more, I'm just throwing that out there). That could be like 5-10 starts. I'm not saying anything about whether or not innings limits are a good idea but its a fact that most teams use them on young players and the Brewers would likely not want to push Thornburg too hard next year.

Then again, maybe this is a way to cap his innings this year and have him in the pen for 6 weeks, then moving him back to the rotation. Either way, I really hope this doesn't affect his progress as a starter.

This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

We know Estrada can relieve if they want to flip flop at some point. My only issue is that if they wait too long, Thornburg will need to start over and need to be stretched out again.

Another bad start by Wolf, and he could be either be banished to the pen or released.

Glad to see them making moves. I wonder if Burgos is going to get bumped up to Nashville in light of this move?

Thornburg threw 136.2 innings last year in 24 starts, and that's his career high mark. That's after ~110 innings the year before. As such, you'd guess the Brewers would want to keep his innings to around 160. He's only at 85.1 right now, but they may have plans to pitch him in the AFL after the season.

We know Estrada can relieve if they want to flip flop at some point. My only issue is that if they wait too long, Thornburg will need to start over and need to be stretched out again.

Another bad start by Wolf, and he could be either be banished to the pen or released.

Glad to see them making moves. I wonder if Burgos is going to get bumped up to Nashville in light of this move?

your last two points are ones I thought too! is Wolf on a short leash now, and who moves to AAA for the time being to fill the vacancy? would love to see Burgos move up and continue his success!!

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

Alright, but let's look at it this way. Over the next two weeks, would you rather have Dillard or Thornburg coming out of the bullpen? I get that this team has basically showed no pulse this season, but seriously, they're 6 games out of the Wild Card. Yeah, there's a few teams ahead of them, but there definitely is a potential, if this team actually plays up to its' potential, to get back in the hunt. Give me Thornburg instead of Dillard in the bullpen any day.

Good move, glad to see the Brewers are shaking things up a bit, Thorny gets some more MLB innings and possibly put into the rotation if/when we trade Greinke/Marcum.

Must we do this with everyone? :rolleyes

Although, I'm sure RR is already one step ahead of us here.

He had 136 2/3 IP last year and he is at 85 1/3 this year. I would think it's safe to say he should be able to be bumped up to 150-160 IP this year, which should lead to 180-190 hopefully in 2013. If they are able to get him 70 IP the rest of the way, I guess I am a little more OK with this move. Maybe 60 IP the rest of the way with the Brewers (a few 1IP appearances, a couple 2-3IP appearances and a few starts?), then an Arizona Fall League appointment?

I just think he should be focusing on getting through a lineup more than once or twice, that's my rationale for wanting him to stay in AAA.

Thornburg threw 136.2 innings last year in 24 starts, and that's his career high mark. That's after ~110 innings the year before. As such, you'd guess the Brewers would want to keep his innings to around 160. He's only at 85.1 right now, but they may have plans to pitch him in the AFL after the season.

I'd guess they're expecting to sell, and this move will get Thornburg a few more appearances at the MLB level prior to rejoining the rotation and will keep his innings down some so he can pitch all season. However, if he stats in the pen the rest of the season, he'll probably only get 30 or so more innings. If he pitched 136 innings last year, the goal should be to get him to around 155-165 IP this season, which would set him up for a full season in the MLB rotation in 2013.

Being in the starting rotation the whole second half would give him too many IP, and keeping him in the pen would give him too few. If he's in the pen fir a few weeks and then moved to the rotation, it could be just right. Therefore, I'll only be upset if he's kept in the pen the rest of the season.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Good move, glad to see the Brewers are shaking things up a bit, Thorny gets some more MLB innings and possibly put into the rotation if/when we trade Greinke/Marcum.

I think when we as posters are adding "y" and "ie" on the end of the players names, it is meant as sarcasm, directed at RR's cute little disgustingly creepy nicknames...

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

"they're 6 games out of the Wild Card."

Being 6 games out of the race to have a 50% of making the real playoffs doesn't sound very exciting to me. And as you pointed out, there are a million teams ahead of them. 5 times are within half a game of the first wildcard spot! If the Brewers win and the Reds, Braves, Giants, Mets and Cards lose on Friday, the Brewers will gain a full game!

Coolstandings.com gives the Brewers a 5.0% chance of securing a wildcard spot and playing one game to determine whether they make the playoffs. In addition, hey give the Brewers a 1.5% chance of winning the division and making the playoffs outright. I'm OK with holding off for 9 games before selling but if the Brewers are in a similar position after that, give it up already.

Yeah Thornburg could be a bullpen arm this year but since Greinke is likely to be dealt he will get his innings. Also if we are out of it down the stretch you know he will get some starts. This is a good move.

Yes. Yes we must.

Especially when invoking his name makes me think of:

http://emotibot.net/pix/267.jpg

Now we just gotta get him to come into the game with...

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

I'm really hoping the plan is indeed to plug Thornburg into the rotation after a trade of Greinke. For all the times I whine that the Brewers don't develop their young guys at the MLB level, I have to acknowledge this one. At least I hope the bullpen-->ZG trade-->rotation plan is the route they're going, and not just hoping TT will help shore up the bullpen and the Brewers will get right back in the postseason race.

Either way, I'm really looking forward to watching Thornburg pitch in the bigs & continue his development.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Archived