Brewer Fanatic

2012-07-10 MLB All-Star Game: NL (Cain) vs. AL (Verlander) at Kansas City [NL wins, 8-0]

hawing
That just topped the night off haha
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

This just in. Ryan Braun is good!!!
There are three things America will be known for 2000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. They're the three most beautifully designed things this culture has ever produced. Gerald Early

I feel for Royals fans, they deserve a winner. Even the Pirates and Nationals have good teams now.

There was a time when they were good... I don't feel sorry for anyone until we get our World Series title...lol

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Community Moderator
There was a time when they were good... I don't feel sorry for anyone until we get our World Series title...lol

Well it would at least be nice for them to have the chance to get eliminated in a one-game wildcard playoff.

Pirates are still overdue. The Royals were in the playoffs 10 years ago. The pirates were in the playoffs like 20 years ago?

Royals last playoff appearance was 1985, fwiw.

Oh I could have sworn they won 100 games sometime in the early 2000's.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Pirates are still overdue. The Royals were in the playoffs 10 years ago. The pirates were in the playoffs like 20 years ago?

They won 83 games in 2002, but they haven't sniffed 100 since the mid 80's.

Were you maybe confusing them with the Mariners?

Also, my favorite (it's mean, I know) factoid on the Pirates is that their last postseason appearance was in 1992, when (former Pirate) Sid Bream somehow unhitched the plow long enough to score the game-winning run with two outs in the bottom of the 9th of Game 7 of the NLCS... after the Braves had entered the 9th trailing 2-0.

Then they lost Barry Bonds in the offseason via FA to San Francisco, and their highest single-season win total since is 79. The Pirates had a lot of success from 1960 to the early '90s, but fans of this franchise know pain.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Well it would at least be nice for them to have the chance to get eliminated in a one-game wildcard playoff.

The Royals are not that bad, that have an ascending young team and will graduate even more impact players to MLB next season. It might not be next year, but they are definitely on the upswing, they just need Montgomery to regain his mojo and Odorizzi to be Odorizzi.

They already have Butler, Moustakas, Hosmer, and Escobar up in the majors. Will Myers is a stud and will make his debut this year, that's a nice core to build around. Butler is the oldest player of that bunch at 26. Alex Gordon never turned into a stud, but he's putting up an OPS in the upper .700s, he's a solid contributor. Hosmer has struggled this season but was pretty darn good in 2011 as a 21 year old in MLB, he should at least be a .750 OPS player moving forward.

The real problem in KC is pitching but both Montgomery and Odorizzi are in AAA this year and should join the rotation next season. John Lamb will return from TJ surgery next season and will probably be in AA again as just 22 year old even though he lost a year, will likely bump to AAA after the break and be back on track for 2014 debut. Jason Adam is also on track to start next season in AA as 21 year old, I could see him in KC by 2015.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Not to derail this thread any further but the Royals are an organization that has some nice young talent. Not all of the players will reach their talent though. Some might take longer to develop. I do expect to see Marcum on the Royals next year though. I have him pegged as their #1 target in free agency.

I got a kick out of the Fielder misplay early in the game. There was a quick shot of Jeter after the throw and you could lip read "Are you ____ing me?" No, Derek, not at all.

Great game for the NL, Braun with a solid showing. The other Missouri team's fan base showed some class by not booing him, was nice to see that.

Archived