Brewer Fanatic

Taylor Green optioned to Nashville

The question is, does this mean Green is gone for good? Unless Ramirez or Weeks is traded this month I don't see tht Green has a future on the big club. RRR doesn't like to sit down his stars, so Green will never get an opportunity to play 2B or 3B. He really shouldn't ever play 1B, and Gamel will be back next year anyway.

It's too bad. Green's bat would play well at 2B, but I doubt Rickie is going anywhere...

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hard to see what the logical move here is. Bianchi needs to be up, but at the expense of either Ransom or Izturis. It could be Patterson, or Jordan Brown, either of whom would allow some room at 1B to bump up Morris. Schafer's cooled off again, but he'd replace Morgan presumably at some point.

There also could be a minor deal in the works to fortify the roster for the last ditch push to get back in it out of the break. Reed Johnson? You could always move him again before Aug 1.

Patterson? Wasn't seeing him in a Brewers uniform one time enough?

I didn't say any were good options. That's why I see a minor deal/waiver claim in the offing. Brewers may be privy to someone becoming available in the next couple days. Guys coming off the DL elsewhere means roster moves.

Or Melvin might offer the Padres a bag of ball and bring Kotsay back in here for a month and see if he can provide spark.

There aren't any good options and no doubt the guy they do bring up will be the last guy on the bench. It will likely be a rather insignificant move.

If Green needs significant AB's to be MLB player that doesn't bode well for him in MIL because it is pretty unlikely he will have a starting spot anywhere. Aram and Weeks aren't going anywhere.

Green has 2 more options, so I don't know why people are saying he's not in our plans. It's good to build depth in AAA.

Because he's already 25 and has no starting position...

His first real shot would be his 28 year old season to be an everyday player. Obviously I'm not opposed to depth by any stretch, but Taylor doesn't seem to be anything more than a league average player at best which suggests he has a small window of opportunity to be in the big leagues. He's not a very good defender at 3B, he's below average at 2B, so to me he's not much of a utility guy. I think he's in a similar situation to Farris in that neither one really profiles as utility player so if they can't win a job outright they won't be in the majors. Green is far and away the better hitter between the 2, but he needs to be as a corner IF.

It would probably be in Green's best interest be let go so he can latch on with another club, how good is going to get spending 4 straight seasons in AAA? Ramirez will likely go on the DL somewhere during his contract for an extended period but even Green outplayed Ramirez there's nothing to suggest that the Brewers would sit Ramirez with his contract.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

And he really doesn't hit. He's been close to a bust IMO (so far).

This is the Mat Gamel thing all over again. Green has 131 career MLB PAs. That is basically nothing in the grand scheme of things. And almost all of those are from PH appearances and sporadic playing time. Yes he hasn't actually hit very well in his little MLB career but I don't think that justifies calling him a bust or saying he doesn't hit. He's got a career .828 MiLB OPS (which includes coming off a pretty serious wrist injury).

This is one of those situations where I don't think you can really judge anything a guy has done in the majors because of how little he's actually played there. Chris Shelton hit like 9 HR over 2 weeks 6 years ago but people weren't calling him a hall of famer because of it.

This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

Mat had a little better credentials on the minor league side, and was a higher touted prospect in the first place, but it could just be a lack of PT like you say. I personally would have preferred him over McGehee, but not over anyone we have in the IF right now. Unless Weeks starts sucking badly again the rest of the season. I should mention he can't play SS or he would certainly be playing everyday.

With the way Green was used this year when he was with the club, as much as I'd like him to be a part of the future, I just don't think there's room for him anywhere for at least the next 2 years. I'm glad he's headed back to AAA to get everyday AB's instead of rotting on the bench, but I wouldn't be surprised if this is a move to showcase him and to be used in a trade to get bullpen help if the Brewers come out of the break hot, or used in the off-season to get some help.

With all these positional log jams I hope the Brewers start making some moves. I don't mean "sell the farm" or "trade everyone who's contract is up" or anything like that, but let's move guys who are at a position where we are set.

I said months ago I didn't like Green coming up and not playing everyday. Down in Nashville he was arguably the Brewers best hitter. With Hart securing 1B, Ramirez securing 3B, and Weeks securing 2B, there's just no where to play him full time. Even next year there's no where to play him. Maybe trade Green?

Maybe, but once again they would be selling low. That's why I'm big on trying to trade guys like ARam, Hart, and Axford.

Green and Gamel could both be trade candidates, but right now would a bad time to sell. I can see a big deal getting done this off-season with multiple players involved, and Green or Gamel could be part of that. Or maybe Green gets thrown in with greinke to help get a top prospect back. I just don't see getting much of anything for him straight up.

I'm all about selling the money before the min wage guys, trust me. I just don't see it happening knowing Doug.

Sell Hart and ARam, put Green and Gamel at the corners and hope for the best. Sounds dumb, but if the Brewers don't do that, then Gamel and Green are just going to either rot on the bench or be career minor leaguers.

Scooter and Schaefer are arguably the next guys up. Schaefer takes over in CF for the Morgan/Gomez platoon and Scooter takes over for Weeks...ok, trade weeks too.

I said months ago I didn't like Green coming up and not playing everyday.

Just curious if you posted under a different name because you've only been a member for 5 weeks. Unless you were speaking in terms of talking to others and not posting here.

This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

Maybe, but once again they would be selling low. That's why I'm big on trying to trade guys like ARam, Hart, and Axford.

Green and Gamel could both be trade candidates, but right now would a bad time to sell. I can see a big deal getting done this off-season with multiple players involved, and Green or Gamel could be part of that. Or maybe Green gets thrown in with greinke to help get a top prospect back. I just don't see getting much of anything for him straight up.

Selling high on Green would have been 4 years ago. He's 25, had a major injury, and most peg him as a utility infielder.

Selling high on Green would have been 4 years ago. He's 25, had a major injury, and most peg him as a utility infielder.

I think his ceiling is something like Mike Fontenot+, and I have no problem with him getting labeled a utility IF. His LH bat and ability to play 3B/2B/1B can be valuable for the Brewers at a very small cost for the next 3+ seasons. If nothing else, that's a guy for whom you can easily find 300-ish PAs or more each season, and he could really prove to be a valuable player in that role (not to mention being a good PH option as well). And who knows, he could wind up becoming a viable starter at 3B or 2B.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Archived