Brewer Fanatic

Link Report for Fri. 7/6 -- Hunter Morris Southern League Player of the Month

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Friday's Daily Menu: TGIF!

All times are Central

Nashville: RHP Claudio Vargas at Memphis (Cardinals), 6:50 PM pre-game, 7:05 gametime

Free Live Audio Link

Jeff Hem is the new play-by-play voice of the Sounds; follow him on Twitter @jeffhempbp; we'll link to his blog updates at On the Air…and Off

MiLB.TV -- for subscribers; all Nashville games, home and away, will be available to watch via MiLB.TV's $39.99 season-long package ($9.99 to pay for a single month). We imagine the audio feed is from the home team. All MiLB.TV details available at the link.

Huntsville: RHP Josh Stinson at home vs. Chattanooga (Dodgers), 6:28 PM pre-game, 6:43 gametime

Free Live Audio Link -- Select the Huntsville feed from the MiLB main audio page

Alex Cohen is the new play-by-play voice of the Stars; follow him on Twitter @alexmcohen. It's fantastic that Huntsville is returning to what will be a traditional broadcast format this year. All games, home and away, are scheduled to be broadcast.

MiLB.TV subsciption note: Huntsville road games in four locales (Mississippi, Tennessee, Jacksonville and Pensacola) will be broadcast.

Brevard County: RHP Taylor Jungmann at home vs. Tampa (Yankees), 5:35 PM gametime

Sorry, no audio for this series...

Once again this season, Brevard does not have its own audio coverage. It appears two teams in the Manatees North Division (within which the majority of games are played) have audio, and all six teams in the South Division have audio (at least for their home games), so there will be opportunities to listen to approx. 70% or Brevard's games this season, just all from the opponent's perspective. There are no Florida State League games on MiLB.TV this year.

Wisconsin: RHP Chad Thompson at Cedar Rapids (Angels), 6:15 PM pre-game, 6:35 gametime

Free Live Audio Link - 1280 AM WNAM

Chris Mehring is back to do his customary fantastic work as the Voice of the Rattlers. Follow him on Twitter @CMehring; we'll link to Chris' infamous blog often -- Rattler Radio.

MiLB.TV -- for subscribers; Wisconsin is one of only two (Great Lakes) Midwest League clubs that have all their home games available via MiLB.TV; Chris' call provides the audio. So for the $39.95 season-long package, fans in Brewer Nation can watch all Sounds games, all Timber Rattlers home games, and 24 Stars' road games (one Helena series this summer, too).

Helena: LHP David Otterman at Billings (Reds), 7:50 PM pre-game, 8:05 gametime

Free Live Audio Link -- Select the Helena feed from the MiLB main audio page

We're lucky to have Steve Wendt back on board for another H-Crew season.

Arizona Rookie (Maryvale): at home vs. the Dodgers' young un's; 9:00 PM gametime; never audio for games in this league

DSL Brewers: at home vs. the DSL Tigers, 9:30 AM, although game data won't be available until late afternoon at the earliest

Brewer Fanatic Staff

STANDINGS:

AAA - Pacific Coast League American Northern Division

AA - Southern League North Division

High-A - Florida State League North Division

A - Midwest League Western Division

Rookie Advanced - Pioneer League North Division

Rookie - Arizona Summer League

DSL - Dominican Summer League San Pedro de Macoris Division

NOTE: AAA Nashville does not play a split schedule. The other leagues, including the rookie leagues, do. When you click on a standings link for Huntsville, Brevard County or Wisconsin, you'll then be able to choose 1st half and/or overall standings in addition to the current 2nd half standings.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

The Brevard County Manatees will be wearing patriotic jerseys presented by Northrop Grumman from July 4-7. The jerseys will be auctioned off online and all proceeds from the auction will go to benefit the AVET The auction will begin at 5:00 p.m. ET on July 4 and end at 11:59 p.m. ET on July 7.

http://manatees.milbauctions.com/images/stores/87/500/JerseyFront_500.JPG

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Huntsville's Hunter Morris named Southern League Player of the Month for June

By Mark McCarter, The Huntsville Times

HUNTSVILLE, Alabama -- Hunter Morris, the Huntsville Stars' first baseman, was announced Friday as the Topps Southern League Player of the Month for June.

Morris, a former Grissom High standout who played college ball at Auburn where he was SEC Player of the Year as a junior, is the first Stars' position player to win this award since Mat Gamel in May 2008.

Ironically, Gamel has been been sidelined with an injury much of the season since starting out at first base for the Milwaukee Brewers. Morris will likely go into next spring training competing with Gamel for that job.

Morris, the first Huntsville-born man to play for the Stars, led the league with seven homers, 58 total bases and 27 RBI in June. He was also selected for the Southern League All-Star Game and participated in its Home Run Derby.

Going into tonight's game with Chattanooga, Morris is batting .301 with 10 homers and 59 RBIs. He leads the league in doubles, is second in RBIs, second in hits (to teammate Scooter Gennett) and second in total bases.

Morris is the son of Jeff and Linda Morris. He and wife Maci have a young son, Tripp.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Morris Earns Monthly Honors for June

By Southern League

MARIETTA, GA - Huntsville Stars first baseman Hunter Morris has been named the Topps Southern League Player of the Month for June, an award voted upon by Southern League Field managers. Morris is the Stars' first position player to capture the honor since Mat Gamel was named Player of the Month for May of 2008.

A native of Huntsville who represented the Stars in both the Southern League All-Star Game and Home Run Derby, Morris led the circuit with seven home runs and 58 total bases in June. He also topped the league with 27 RBI, which were tied for ninth in all of Minor League Baseball during the period.

After opening the month with a pair of singles against the Tennessee Smokies, Morris homered three times in his next four games against the Mississippi Braves to match his home run total for the season's first two months. The 23-year-old enjoyed a similar stretch toward the end of the month, clubbing three home runs in a four-game span June 25-28.

Morris drove in at least one run in 11 of his final 15 games in June, concluding the month ranked second in the Southern League with 57 RBI - just two behind Tennessee's Justin Bour. Through the end of June, Morris was leading the league with 26 doubles, 38 extra-base hits and 147 total bases. He is on pace to shatter his career highs of 29 doubles and 69 RBI established last year in 126 games with the advanced Class-A Brevard County Manatees and four games with the Stars.

Prior to being selected by the Milwaukee Brewers in the fourth round of the 2010 draft, Morris established a school record with 23 home runs in his junior season at Auburn. He also batted .386 with 76 RBI that year en route to Southeastern Conference Player of the Year honors.

A four-time Huntsville City Player of the Year, Morris batted a .470 with 46 home runs and 198 RBI at Grissom High School. He originally was selected in the second round of the 2007 draft by the Boston Red Sox, with whom he did not sign.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Dwayne Hosey, back in Huntsville as coach after brief tenure as player, knows value of perseverance

By Mark McCarter, The Huntsville Times

HUNTSVILLE, Alabama -- Dwayne Hosey doesn't remember much about the spring of 1991, when he was playing for the Huntsville Stars. He can reel off the names of several teammates. He can recall how small the clubhouse used to be.

He remembers the outfield wall, "the same as now, except it's a little more beat up." Aren't we all?

As he drives around town now, having come back to town as the Stars' hitting coach, he sees few landmarks that are familiar. No old restaurants. No sites. He doesn't remember where he lived those few weeks.

Hosey does remember the afternoon of May 20, 1991. When tough times hit them, he'll even share the story with his players.

Hosey stretched out that day in the vast center field at Joe Davis Stadium. He hadn't been putting up good numbers. He wasn't playing a lot. Some organizational politics had kicked in.

He knew he was still a prospect, but ....

He sprawled on the outfield grass, and enveloped himself in a sense of calm.

"I just laid out there, and I was just praying," Hosey said. " 'Whatever you have for me, I don't know what direction it is, but I'm ready.' As soon as I did that, I had a peace about it."

Only a couple of hours later, manager Casey Parsons called him into his office. It was the old "organization has decided to go another direction" speech. Hosey, 24 at the time, was being released.

"I knew they were making a mistake," he said. "I was a prospect for them at the time."

Before he got home, he "already had a connection with the Milwaukee Brewers to sign with them."

Two years later, he came back to the Southeast another time. He bashed a homer, triple and single, made two sensational defensive plays and was named MVP of the Double-A All-Star Game in Memphis.

Hosey met his agent that day. The performance opened some doors and opened some eyes, having "the opportunity to play against All-Stars and prospects and show your skills."

Three years after that, on Sept. 1, 1996, he entered a game at Fenway Park, his major league debut. He came in as a pinch-runner. For, of all people, Jose Canseco, the Huntsville Stars' first superstar.

Hosey is a lesson in perseverance. He played for five organizations, always having to re-prove himself, before the Red Sox brought him to the majors. It wasn't a long stay. He batted .274 in 52 games. By the time his playing career ended in 2002, he had played in 15 professional seasons and for 15 different minor league clubs.

Now, he's trying to get his players to the majors. Trying to help them through the lean times, to build on the strong ones.

For much of the season, Huntsville was atop the Southern League in team batting. He's trying to create some improvement in "situational hitting," to cash in a few more runs from the plethora of hits. He's had the individual success stories, like the improvement in Hunter Morris' power numbers and the recovery from a dismal start by Josh Prince.

That's why he does what he does. Not because he's somehow addicted to riding busses after all these years.

"I love people," Hosey said Thursday evening, sitting only a few feet from where Casey Parsons once handed him his walking papers. "I'm a people person. I like to see people successful. I like to see guys be productive in life and in general. That's what makes me happy, to see people achieve their goals. That's what keeps me going."

The Birmingham News/Mark Almond Photo

Stars hitting coach Dwayne Hosey, left, with Huntsville manager Darnell Coles

http://media.al.com/sports_impact/photo/11273919-large.jpg

I have a ton of catching up to do with BA and MiLB, I'll do it all in today's thread instead of going back to each day's specific thread.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

BA's Mid Season Top 50 (Subscriber Content)

#6 Gerrit Cole - Pirates

#15 James Tallion - Pirates

#18 Oscar Taveras - Cardinals

#20 Shelby Miller - Cardinals

#25 Javier Baez - Cubs

#27 Billy Hamilton - Reds (seems low, not a big power guy but he's tearing up AA regardless of the whole SB thing)

#36 Starling Marte - Pirates

#40 Alen Hanson - Pirates

#44 Kolten Wong - Cardinals

As mentioned earlier in the week in a different thread Thornburg was the #48.

ALSO RECEIVING VOTES

Matt Adams - Cardinals

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Picking The Prospect Surprises And Disappointments Of The First Half

• Tony Cingrani, rhp, Reds: At Rice, Cingrani was a complete bust as a starter. He posted an 8.58 ERA, which led to a move to the bullpen. Cincinnati gave him another chance to start, and he's responded by posting a 1.57 ERA in 28 starts as a pro. His slider has improved to the point where he has two average secondary offerings on most nights. The fastball is almost always plus.

• Jimmy Nelson, rhp, Brewers: The Brewers' high Class A Brevard County club was supposed to be the launching pad for several of the club's top pitching prospects, but it's been Nelson, not 2011 first-rounders Taylor Jungmann and Jed Bradley, who proved to be the ace of the staff. Nelson has front-line stuff to go with his fine performance. Jungmann and Bradley were supposed to be on the fast track, but it's Nelson who has beaten them to Double-A.

• Gregory Polanco, of, Pirates: When scouts come in to see low Class A West Virginia, Alen Hanson is usually the first prospect they look for. But many times, they will come away equally impressed with Polanco. The 20-year-old center fielder shows power and speed to go with a 6-foot-4 frame that gives him plenty of room to fill out.

• Trevor Rosenthal, rhp, Cardinals: Often pitchers see their velocity dip as they adjust to the grind of pro ball. In Rosenthal's case, his velocity has gotten better and better. What was once a 91-95 mph fastball has become a 93-98 mph fastball to go with a plus slider. The only significant knock on him is that some scouts think he'll end up as a reliever because he's primarily a two-pitch guy right now.

Stock Down

Brett Jackson of Cubs 33

Has always battled some strikeout issues, but whiffing this year in an unsustainable 38 percent of at-bats

Wily Peralta rhp Brewers 56

Great 2011 season has been wiped away by lost command in 2012

Jed Bradley lhp Brewers 71

Scouts who have seen him in Florida State League wonder what the fuss was about

Steady Improvement

Luis Heredia rhp Pirates

Not many 17-year-olds can hold their own in New York-Penn League, but Heredia was off to flying start

ALL DL Team

Josh Bell of Pirates

Has been out since April 23 with knee injury that will cost him much of season

- Plato

- Plato

Blaze's Robles shines in Cal debut

Reds farmhand allows three hits, fans six over six innings

By Sam Dykstra / Special to MLB.com

http://www.milb.com/images/2012/07/06/kvrv26YC.jpg

Tanner Robles had a 4.45 ERA in 16 starts with Dayton before his promotion. (Emily Jones/MiLB.com)

Tanner Robles was looking forward to spending the Fourth of July holiday with his family in Dayton, Ohio, where he was scheduled to pitch for the Class A Dragons on Thursday.

Only problem was the Reds organization decided to bump the 23-year-old left-handed starter up to Class A Advanced Bakersfield instead. But even then, his family, who were en route from their home in Utah to the Midwest, made sure he wouldn't make his first journey to the California League alone.

"It's pretty funny, my mom had to actually spend the night in Dallas," Robles said.

He made sure his debut was worth the trip.

Robles allowed just three hits and two walks over six shutout innings Thursday, but Bakersfield fell to Stockton, 6-3. After going 5-5 with a 4.45 ERA through 16 starts for Dayton, Thursday's feat marked the first time this season that the southpaw did not surrender a run in any given start. The last time he remained spotless in a start was Aug. 13, 2010 for Rookie-level Billings.

As good as his final line looked, the Reds farmhand admitted there were some nerves at play, and it showed in his walk to Ryan Pineda to kick off the contest before he was able to settle down -- both mentally and physically -- thanks to the help of his teammates.

"Before every start, you've got a little bit of jitters," he said."But I have all my buddies here from [Dayton] last year, and they played some great defense behind me."

Robles' biggest problems came in the third inning when Dusty Robinson reached on a forceout and then stole second base with one down. After striking out Josh Whitaker, the 6-foot-4 hurler tossed a wild pitch that brought Robinson 90 feet away from the Ports' first run. But Robles rebounded from his own error, striking out A.J. Kirby-Jones to end the threat.

The left-hander allowed a leadoff double to Max Stassi in the fourth before retiring the final nine Ports he faced in the outing. Robles, who employs a basic fastball-curveball-changeup mix on the mound, believed his improved results over time Thursday came from an improved confidence in his arsenal as the night wore on.

"Honestly, it was all just good command of my pitches," he said. "I started really only throwing a fastball and curveball, but by the end, I was able to throw all three of them for strikes. That and keeping the ball low the whole night really helped."

With his first Cal League start under his belt, the former Oregon State pitcher admitted that he was happy to be back on the nation's West coast, not only to be a little closer to his Utah family, but also for meteorological reasons.

"We were just in Bowling Green, Kentucky, and it was like 93 degrees and humid there," Robles said. "It's a dry heat here. It's kind of nice."

Whitaker launched a grand slam to center field off Blaze reliever Brooks Pinckard in the ninth to push the visiting Ports into the lead.

Reds' top prospect Billy Hamilton finished 3-for-5 with a double and three runs scored. The shortstop added two stolen bases to give him 103 on the year, equaling his career high established last season with Dayton.

- Plato

- Plato

The Lansing Trio has been in the news all year, I suppose I'll give them some love, I did the same for Bundy. An interesting read if you're into developing pitching. I couldn't make the tables format so just providing the link

Lansing pitching, not piggybacking

- Plato

- Plato

Cal notes: Brackman begins again

Former first-rounder working to regain form in Blaze bullpen

By Chris Martinez / Special to MLB.com

http://www.milb.com/images/2012/07/03/PWeLBmQD.jpg

Andrew Brackman has a 3.86 ERA in five relief appearances. (Ricky Bassman/MiLB.com)

Cincinnati native Andrew Brackman has started anew with his hometown organization. The 6-foot-10 right-hander became a free agent in the offseason after the New York Yankees cut loose their former first-rounder, and he signed with the Reds to launch his second chance.

Brackman struggled in five starts for Triple-A Louisville, then made three starts with the Bakersfield Blaze before moving to the bullpen. He allowed 19 runs in 17 1/3 innings with the Bats and had similar struggles in the Blaze rotation, but the numbers weren't the only reason why Brackman moved into relief.

"[i'm] pitching in the bullpen so I can throw twice a week and find my stuff," Brackman said. "It doesn't matter where I pitch. I'm working to get back to my old self."

His old self threw a fastball in the high 90s and dominated at Moeller High School in Cincinnati and at North Carolina State. The Yankees chose him 30th overall in the 2007 Draft and gave him a Major League contract. After three years of steady progress through the Yankees system, Brackman got a September call-up to the Majors in 2011 and pitched 2 1/3 scoreless innings.

However, the Yankees decided to let Brackman go after the 2011 season, in which he walked and struck out 75 batters in 96 Triple-A innings. Brackman's decision to join the Reds was easy, but his time in the new organization has presented bigger challenges for him.

It's changed Brackman's view of the game. Whether he's pitching for the Yankees or the Reds, Brackman said, "It's all the same game. You have to go out there and get outs."

He applies the same philosophy to pitching in the bullpen instead of the rotation.

"It's not what I planned to do," he said. "This game is funny. It has its ups and downs. I'm going out here every day, having fun and trying to be productive."

Brackman has continued the adjustments that helped him get through 2011, like consistency in location and repeating his arm slot.

"I'm still trying to figure out stuff that's comfortable for me," he said.

Pitching in relief isn't new for Brackman. He made 19 starts and 10 relief appearances at Class A Charleston in 2009 and had 20 relief appearances and 13 starts in Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre in 2011. As Brackman works to get back to the Majors and regain his best stuff, his stop in Bakersfield is another lesson along the way.

In brief

Landry goes long: Rancho Cucamonga center fielder Leon Landry has hit safely in his last five games, including a pair of four-hit performances. The Louisiana native knocked in nine runs last week, scored six times and is hitting .392 since June 23.

Quick recovery: Inland Empire reliever Eric Cendejas allowed three runs on June 27 against Lake Elsinore, marking the first time he'd allowed an earned run since June 2. He recovered with two scoreless outings at the end of the week, giving up two hits in 3 1/3 innings. He has nine strikeouts and a 1.93 ERA in 14 innings over his last 10 games.

Taylor on top: Stockton catcher Beau Taylor is making a name for himself while sharing the position with one of Oakland's top prospects, Max Stassi. Taylor collected six hits in two game against San Jose to start the week, raising his season average to .323.

- Plato

- Plato

Cingrani delivers on mound, at plate

Reds prospect fans nine in 6 2/3 frames, scores first pro run

By David Heck / Special to MLB.com

http://www.milb.com/images/2012/07/02/nVMXqdzA.jpg

Tony Cingrani has struck out 24 batters over 14 2/3 innings in his last two outings. (Chris Nelson)

For most Minor Leaguers, an effort like Tony Cingrani's on Monday night might represent the highlight of their season. For the young left-hander, it was just "all right."

Following up the best start of his pro career, the Reds' No. 10 prospect struck out nine while allowing two hits over 6 2/3 scoreless frames as the Double-A Pensacola Blue Wahoos blanked the Jacksonville Suns, 2-0.

Cingrani (3-1) issued four walks as he lowered his Southern League ERA to 1.75.

"The off-speed wasn't really there, again," he said. "I just used the fastball and threw a breaking ball there when I needed to. It wasn't too bad."

Cingrani retired the first 10 batters he faced before yielding a one-out single to Paul Gran in the fourth inning. He gave up a single and a walk in the fifth and sixth, then came out after issuing a pair of free passes in the seventh.

Though his secondary pitches were inconsistent at times, the southpaw still tried to use them to keep Jacksonville off balance.

"The changeup's fine," he said. "Against lefties, I threw a couple good sliders and struck them out. It's there, but it's just hit or miss sometimes."

How can he develop the slider into a more reliable pitch?

"Throw it more," said Cingrani, who will turn 23 on Thurday. "That's what I need to do to get to the next level."

He also helped the Blue Wahoos' cause at the plate. Cingrani smacked a single to lead off the sixth, then came home on a double by No. 4 Cincinnati prospect Didi Gregorius to score the game's first run.

Though he did not record a single plate appearance in college, he has tallied three hits in six at-bats with Pensacola.

"I'm pretty awful, but I'm pretty quick, so I get down the line," Cingrani said. "I haven't hit in seven years. ... See it, hit it. I don't want to overcomplicate things. They usually just throw fastballs anyway."

In six outings (36 innings) at Double-A, Cingrani has fanned 47 while limiting opponents to a .190 batting average. He was just as dominant in 10 starts for Class A Advanced Bakersfield, posting a 1.11 ERA and .189 batting average against.

Overall, the product of Rice University leads full-season Minor Leaguers with a 1.36 ERA and ranks second with 118 strikeouts in 92 2/3 innings.

"If you make mistakes [in Double-A], they generally hit it. But for the most part, it's about the same," Cingrani said. "They're not as aggressive as they were in High-A, but for the most part, get the fastball in there, get ahead and you'll be pretty successful."

- Plato

- Plato

Wilson allows one hit over six innings

Pirates' No. 9 prospect fans four, does not factor into decision

By Ashley Marshall / Special to MLB.com

http://www.milb.com/images/2012/07/02/FQno5MVs.jpg

Justin Wilson lowered his ERA from 3.57 to 3.34 in the win. (Carl Kline/MiLB.com)

For the third time in four starts, Pittsburgh farmhand Justin Wilson was dominant. But like the other two games when he allowed just one hit, the left-hander was not rewarded with a win.

Pittsburgh's No. 9 prospect allowed a lone single and issued one free pass while striking out four batters over six shutout innings Monday, as the Triple-A Indianapolis Indians beat the Louisville Bats, 6-4, in 14 innings.

e 2008 Draft, Wilson set down the side in order in the first inning and he worked around hitting Felix Perez with two outs in the second.

Kristopher Negron stroked a one-out base hit to left field in the third frame and Paul Janish followed that with a walk. But no other Louisville batter reached base against Wilson, who retired the final 10 batters he faced.

The Fresno State product turned a 3-0 lead over to the bullpen in the seventh, but the Bats rallied to score three times to ensure he would not factor in the final decision.

The outing lowered Wilson's ERA to 3.34, and it marked the third time in four starts that he has allowed one hit while pitching six innings.

On June 17, he gave up a run on one hit and three walks in a 2-1 win over Charlotte. Five days later, he replicated that line in a 4-2 victory at home against the Scranton/Wilkes- Barre Yankees. Wilson did not factor into the decision in either game after exiting both contests in a 1-1 tie.

Wilson has allowed two hits or fewer in six of his 17 International League starts this season. Among those performances was a 7 1/3-inning no-hit outing he spun on the road in Durham on April 29 in his fifth start of the year.

Now in his fourth year of pro ball, Wilson went 6-8 with a 4.50 ERA in 26 starts with Lynchburg in 2009 and he posted an 11-8 record and a 3.09 EA in 27 appearances with Double-A Altoona in his sophomore year.

Last season -- Wilson's first year in the International League -- he won 10 games (10-8) and recorded three saves with the Indians. He finished with a 4.13 ERA over 30 appearances, including 21 starts, in Triple-A.

On Monday, Kris Johnson (4-0) allowed one hit while striking out one batter over two innings to earn the victory, and closer Tim Wood fanned two batters in the 14th inning to earn his 12th save.

MLB.com's No. 32 prospect Starling Marte was 3-for-6 with a double, a walk and an RBI, and first baseman Matt Hague was 2-for-5 with a double, two walks and four RBIs. Hague snapped a 4-4 tie with a bases-loaded, two-run single to left field in the top of the 14th inning.

Louisville reliever Nick Christiani (0-4) surrendered two runs -- one earned -- on two hits and a walk while striking out three batters. Right fielder Bill Rhinehart smacked a two-run homer in the loss.

- Plato

- Plato

Hamilton steals 100th base of season

Becomes first in California League to reach feat since 1983

By Sam Dykstra / Special to MLB.com

http://www.milb.com/images/2012/07/03/6RHIJlgC.jpg

Billy Hamilton evades the tag for his 100th stolen base this year. (Cherished Memories Photography)

The biggest story in the Minor Leagues just reached a new level. Or rather, a new digit.

Billy Hamilton stole two bases Monday night to give him an even 100 on the season in his 78th game of the season. He finished 1-for-3 with a walk and a run scored for Class A Advanced Bakersfield, but the Blaze fell to Lake Elsinore, 3-2.

The Reds' top prospect reached the century mark in steals for the second straight season after swiping 103 for Class A Dayton one year ago, although it took him 134 games to reach triple digits. He becomes the second California League player to total 100 steals in a season since Donell Nixon had 144 -- also for Bakersfield -- in 1983.

Hamilton stole base No. 99 following a fifth-inning walk and then reached the century mark after singling and stealing second on a 1-0 fastball by Greg Gonzalez to lead off the eighth inning, the final frame in which he would find himself on the basepaths Monday. Lake Elsinore hitting coach David Newman was ejected by umpire John Bostwick for arguing the safe call on the milestone steal.

The 21-year-old shortstop's 100 steals lead all professional baseball players. By comparison, Astros' No. 8 prospect Delino DeShields, Jr. ranks second with 57 thefts for Class A Lexington and Major Leaguer leader Dee Gordon has accrued only 28 thefts for the Dodgers.

Hamilton jokingly told MiLB.com in May that his goal is to double last year's mark of 103. But next up is Nixon's Cal League record and just beyond that is Vince Coleman's Minor League best of 145, also set in 1983, in the South Atlantic League. The Mississippi native seemed confident that he could potentially reach both numbers before season's end.

"I mean, it's possible," he said. "I think 144 is possible, but I'm not saying I'm going to go out and get 144. I knew [103] would be tough to double, but I didn't set any goals. I just want to get better, come work on my jump and whatever happens, happens."

But for the time being, Hamilton and those around him had been preparing for Monday's feat as late as last week.

"It'll be an exciting day for him, and an exciting day for the rest of the team," Bakersfield manager Ken Griffey Sr. told MiLB.com. "Like I've said, he's the catalyst for this team. Everything we do offensively comes from him or through him, so it'll be a big day for everyone."

Eddy Rodriguez hit a solo homer and a double as part of a 2-for-3 night and Vince Belnome homered for the Storm.

Lake Elsinore starter Burch Smith (7-4) allowed one run on three hits and struck out eight over six innings.

- Plato

- Plato

I'm not sure even what to say about this, it's like something out of one of our in game threads...

A's coach Steverson banned by Cal

- Plato

- Plato

BA Hot Sheet

No. 1 ALEN HANSON, SS

PIRATES

Team: low Class A West Virginia (South Atlantic)

Why He's Here: .324/.343/.735 (11-for-34), 8 R, 2 2B, 4 HR, 7 RBIs, 0 BB, 5 SO, 2-for-3 SB

The Scoop: The Pirates made an aggressive push to try to sign Miguel Sano back in 2009, only to have the Twins enter the picture and put $3.15 million on the table to sign him. Yet a couple of weeks after July 2 that same summer, the Pirates signed Hanson, another Dominican shortstop, for far less fanfare or money.

While Sano is still the better prospect, Hanson has narrowed the gap considerably and has a broader set of skills. Hanson has been the pop-up story of the 2012 season, showing the ability to hit for average with extra-base power and plenty of speed in the middle of the diamond. There's a reason Hanson is now the No. 40 prospect in baseball, and it's because this breakout is very, very real.

No. 8 DANIEL CORCINO, RHP

REDS

Team: Double-A Pensacola (Southern)

Why He's Here: 2-0, 1.93, 14 IP, 9 H, 3 R, 12 SO, 4 BB

The Scoop: Last Sunday, Corcino threw one of his better games of the season, allowing no runs over eight innings for Pensacola while earning the win. He followed that performance with a start on Independence Day and earned his second victory in a row despite allowing two home runs in that outing. The Reds No. 6 prospect coming into this season, Corcino was a steal when the club signed him out of the Dominican for $25,000 in 2008. He made the jump from low Class A to Double-A this season and has adjusted well. His 83 strikeouts rank third among Southern League pitchers.

No. 9 ZACK COX, 3B

CARDINALS

Team: Triple-A Memphis (Pacific Coast)

Why He's Here: .424/.424/.636 (14-for-33), 1 HR, 4 2B, 4 R, 5 RBIs, 0 BB, 2 SO, 1-for-1 SB

The Scoop: Cox was hitting a miserable .209/.257/.349 at the end of May, then missed almost two weeks with a concussion after getting beaned in the head. But it seems the time off did Cox some good. He's hit .369/.404/.560 in 84 at-bats since coming back from injury, returning to the form we've come to expect from the Cardinals' 2010 first-round pick who was rated the best pure hitter in that draft class. Cox has registered four three-hit games in his last seven outings, elevating his line for the season to a more respectable .262/.305/.418 through 256 at-bats for the Redbirds.

Zack Cox Player Card

No. 11 KOLTEN WONG, 2B

CARDINALS

Team: Double-A Springfield (Texas)

Why He's Here: .520/.613/.600 (13-for-25), 2 2B, 2 RBIs, 5 R, 5 BB, 2-for-4 SB

The Scoop: Wong will head to Kansas City for the Futures Game on a significant hot streak, as the diminutive second baseman continues to utilize his compact swing to spray base hits to all parts of the ballpark. The University of Hawaii product has been tearing it up in Double-A all season, as he ranks third in the Texas League in hits, trailing only Springfield teammate Oscar Taveras and Tulsa shortstop Josh Rutledge. Wong's his 3-for-3 effort on July 2 against Midland marked his 30th multi-hit performance of the season.

In the Team Photo

Tony Cingrani continues to work his way up the ranks in his first full season in the pros. The Reds third-round pick from 2011 started 10 games with high Class A Bakersfield before earning a promotion to Double-A Pensacola. The lefthander has gone 3-1 in his time at Pensacola, including a win on Monday at Jacksonville. There he threw 6 2/3 innings and didn't allow a run while giving up two hits in one of his best outings this season . . .

Pirates LHP Jeff Locke turned in two of his finest starts for Triple-A Indianapolis this week, going 2-0, 0.69 and allowing one run on five hits over 13 innings. He struck out 12 and walked five. The 24-year-old Locke stymied Louisville on July 4, allowing one hit and one walk in seven innings, keeping with a season-long trend of dominance against Bats batters. To wit, he's allowed five runs on 12 hits over 26 1/3 innings (1.71 ERA) against Louisville, striking out 28. Locke's 2.92 ERA ranks seventh in the International League, and he's well on his way to a career as a mid-rotation starter for the Pirates . . .

- Plato

- Plato

BA Hot Sheet Chat

Will (NJ): Josh Vitters is on a roll. I've never been huge on him, but this is more than his sporadic hot streaks in the minors. He's consistently gotten better each month. What do scouts think about his ability to hit for power at the next level? Can be a solid 3rd base starter in the bigs? Could he be say, a .270-.280 type hitter, with say, 20 HR potential in a neutral environment?

Ben Badler: He's surprising the heck out of me. I saw him last year, talked to scouts about him and while the swing and the bat speed were still there, the sense was just that he wasn't really taking any steps forward. I'm still not sold that he's a third baseman, or at least an everyday guy there, but there's probably a bigger role for him at the major league level than we thought at this time a year ago.

Vince (DC): I've got to think that we are nearing pen time for Trey McNutt. He just doesn't seem like he can put it together as a starter. If the blister is still bothering him ... well, that's two years in a row

Ben Badler: That's probably the best fit for him.

TJ (MD): Matt Szczur has been on a really nice role. If he maintains his performance (improved discipline, plus defense, improving power, hopefully improves on it), is he a top 75 prospect? Does he still have starting potential in the bigs, as a top of the order CF who chases down balls?

Ben Badler: I don't have Szczur that high. The defense is there, the hitting approach has improved and I think he could be an average regular if a lot of things click, I just don't see the swing working for much more than gap power. He's plenty strong, but I just see a limited offensive ceiling.

Jimmy (Monticello): Who is the better prospect long-term: Story or Hansen?

Ben Badler: Hanson, but I don't think Story gets enough attention.

David (Va Beach): I know you seem to really like Jeimer Candelario. Should we expect him in Boise all season long and what especially do you like?

Ben Badler: He does so many things that you like to see in a hitter. He has good rhythm, he's balanced, the bat is fast from both sides of the plate, his hands work well, he has an approach at the plate that's advanced for his age, he drives the ball for power now and has the physical projection to add more power in the future. Maybe he stays at third base, maybe he goes somewhere else, but the man can hit.

MJ (Chicago): Long-term who do you prefer more, Yelich or Taveras?

Ben Badler: I like Yelich, but have to go with Taveras. The man has violence in his bat. I can't wait to see him on Sunday.

Norman (San Jose): how would you grade Alen Hanson's future bat, power, and speed tools?

Ben Badler: Plus bat, plus speed and probably 50, maybe 55 power. I'm not certain he stays at shortstop, but as long as he's somewhere in the middle of the diamond, that's a player worth getting excited about.

John (Chicago): Ben, what did you talk about during your call? These things fascinate us mere fans.

Ben Badler: I can tell you Billy Hamilton came up and he wasn't even the topic of discussion. It's always fun to talk about Billy Hamilton.

bob (PA): why are the pirates brass waiting so long to call up marte? he's out performed all the other guys they've called upon lately.

Ben Badler: Beats me. I'd rather see Starling Marte in Pittsburgh.

clint (IN): Do you believe in Billy Hamilton's bat?

Ben Badler: More than I did last year. Part of it is the Cal League inflating numbers, and he's probably a 20 to 30-grade power guy at best, but he's made real improvements in his hitting approach to work the count, cut down on strikeouts and just find ways to get on base. I don't think he's a star in the making, but the speed is such an unbelievable carrying tool and the bat has a chance to be good enough for him to be more than one of these speed-only guys who have limited real value.

Tim (Kansas): Is Shelby Miller still the top prospect in the Cardinals' system, or has he been passed by Taveras? Is he still the top pitching prospect in the system?

Ben Badler: Miller's still their best pitcher, but Taveras has passed him as a prospect.

- Plato

- Plato

Archived