Brewer Fanatic

Perhaps a more rational discussion of the bullpen woes

I don't think the Riske signing was that bad; he had outperformed his peripherals by a pretty fair margin but still projected to be a solid guy out of the pen.

I'm also not saying those guys are going to continue to be durable, 3.5-4 ERA type of guys, but they seem to come at a pretty decent price right now and assuming Marcum, Greinke, and likely Wolf are gone I don't see how the Brewers are going to fill out a 5-man rotation.

I dont think they should have a hard time filling out their rotation... at some point they need to see what they have in some of these guys. But, to start, we need to keep in mind that next year isnt likely a contention year, so filling out the rotation isnt so daunting.

Yoga = $8 mil

Narveson = $1.5 - $2 mil / first year of arby

Estrada = $ 1 - $1.5 mil / first year of arby

Fiers = 400k

Peralta/Thornburg/Rogers = 400k

Theres enough established/potential talent there to use a predestined down year to see what you have.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was under the impression that Narveson most likely should not be expected to be in the rotation next season. Any updates on that front?

I would not mind Thornburg in the rotation next season if he continues to pitch well. Rodgers and Peralta have both really struggled though haven't they? Without Narveson we would be looking at Gallardo Estrada Thornburg Fiers Peralta.

I honestly would be happy to see them sacrifice next season before opening day but I don't think Attanasio will do that. Of course only time will tell. This team really needs Fiers to be a wonderful surprise...

hmm, well now I am not sure about Narvy. Peralta has put together 3 very good starts in a row and I really think thats what you look for. You know the talent is there, the stuff is there, and now its coming together again. Sometimes i think that these guys are fighting a bigger mental battle than they are a physical one, with all of the trade rumors and likely open rotation spots I think willy is sniffing a big league opportunity. Rogers had a good start, and okay start, and tonight a dominant start. Again, terrible year, missed opportunity and nothing to fight for... until a potential big league spot and now hes throwing 98 and tonight went 7 with 7k no earned and only need 74 pitches to get there. With him too, you know the talent is there, he has stuff, so ERA isnt a relevant number in a lot of ways. IMO when you know that he has what it takes talent wise then it comes down to how hes going at the moment, currently both guys are pitching well.

then get a bunch of guys who throw hard and let them fight it out for a couple spots. That's how we stabilized some bullpens in the past. We'd get a good year or so out of the likes of Turnbow or Kolb and everything sort of came together.

Just thought it was funny that you mention wanting hard throwers and then mention Kolb as an example of a good bullpen pickup.

Archived