Brewer Fanatic

Carlos Lee to Marlins

Deal is being discussed on Marlin game telecast. Interesting in light of the reports that it was Ozzie that had told Kenny Williams to deal Lee back in the day for failing to break up a double play. What is also interesting is that the Marlins are in worse position than the Brewers and they are buyers.

Community Moderator

If Carlos Lee is "buying" then I hope the Brewers are sellers.

Lee declined the Dodgers deal, he didn't want to go to LA. Interesting that he would approve a Miami deal instead.

What I read said he was concerned about how California taxes income or something like that. Kind of a strange argument if you ask me.
Remember what Yoda said:

"Cubs lead to Cardinals. Cardinals lead to dislike. Dislike leads to hate. Hate leads to constipation."

Sources: The Marlins are trading 3B Matt Dominguez and P Rob Rasmussen for Carlos Lee.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Actually Carlos Lee took too long deciding if he wanted to go to LA, so the Dodgers rescinded the offer. He has a limited no trade clause, which apparently Miami isn't on.

I don't know if taxes are the reason he didn't want to go to LA, but Texas has no personal income tax, while California's is 9.3% (I believe there is also a "Mental Health Services Tax" of 1% added to incomes over $1MM). Carlos Lee is owed around $9.5MM more this season. Taxes are paid in the stadium in which you play, but for home games, that would be around an additional $500,000 Carlos would pay in taxes if he were traded to the Dodgers. The Marlins also play in a state with no personal income taxes.

Anyone know anything about Matt Dominguez and Rob Rasmussen? MLB.com says Dominguez is the Marlins' #2 prospect, but while he's got a golden glove, his bat isn't ready. I can't find much else about him.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Extreme overpay by the Marlins. If this is any indication of what the trade market is going to be for a player like Carlos Lee a Greinke trade is going to bring in a whole lot more meaning a teams #1 prospect plus a prospect from the 10-15 range plus another 2 high upside prospects.

Uh...Why did they do this?

Gaby Sanchez had an OPS of .523 before today, and they aren't all that far back in the WC. Besides they sold themselves as being all in to sell tickets.

Lee had no say on this one. Marlins were not on his no trade list.

Uh...Why did they do this?

Gaby Sanchez had an OPS of .523 before today, and they aren't all that far back in the WC. Besides they sold themselves as being all in to sell tickets.

Lee had no say on this one. Marlins were not on his no trade list.

I wish Carlos Lee was hitting in that last Gaby Sanchez AB.

It's probably an overpay, but teams get desperate this time of year. Also, Dominguez got blocked when they signed Reyes and moved Ramirez to third. Often when a prospect is blocked, they get traded.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

The taxes make a ton of sense. that's 10% difference, in addition to a much higher cost of living. The difference in take home pay in LA vs Houston or Miami might be 15% or more. That's a great reason

If the Marlins didn't get a ton of money coming back, they got totally ripped off. Lee is worth less than zero at his salary, and not that much if he were making $3MM.

The Astros are paying everything except the pro-rated minimum. So it's actually not that bad of a trade for them. Dominguez is supposed to be great defensively but can't really hit. That'd be good if he was a SS but not so good at 3B. And Rasmussen is just a BP arm. I would say it's a win-win for both sides. The Astros get a couple of young guys who could provide at least some value and the Marlins get a pretty good upgrade for this season at 1B for the league minimum.

This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

Archived