Brewer Fanatic

Kemp snubs Braun from HR derby

slappzilla
  • Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
To those who ask what is the point of the homerun derby, I would say to entertain fans. From looking at the past ratings, it seems like many people care and that's all the more reason to continue doing so. Now if you don't like it, that's not a big deal either, but there is no reason to crap on another person's parade or what they like/prefer.

To those who ask what is the point of the homerun derby, I would say to entertain fans. From looking at the past ratings, it seems like many people care and that's all the more reason to continue doing so. Now if you don't like it, that's not a big deal either, but there is no reason to crap on another person's parade or what they like/prefer.

I'd be inclined to agree with you if Chris Berman wasn't 'announcing'.

I enjoyed the first few, but haven't been a fan since. Kind of like the NBA slam dunk and three point contests. I'd almost prefer that they brought the old timers game back or something... at least it's kind of fun to see all of the old guys.

I would love to see some variations as well but I still love the derby. In fact when the All-Star game came to Miller Park, I put my money towards that instead of the game.

I would love to see some huge hitters (Branyan, Thome, etc.) versus some softball type of mashers as well.

Salty over MVP much?

No.

http://articles.latimes.com/2012/mar/30/sports/la-sp-0331-ryan-braun-20120331

Braun counts Kemp as a friend. Kemp called him a few times over the last couple of months to offer support.

"He's one of my good friends," Braun said. "I have tremendous respect for him as a player, as a person and everything he's accomplished."

Said Kemp: "I'm doing the right thing, man. See if he's OK, see how he's doing."

Kemp said if Dodgers fans boo Braun, they should do so because he is a great player. He doesn't feel that Braun stole the MVP award from him.

"He earned it," Kemp said.

I for one am glad Ryan is NOT in it. A HR hitting contest can screw up a guy's swing something fierce. We're enjoying a season long HR derby every time Ryan comes to the plate!

#23 tonight.

There are three things America will be known for 2000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. They're the three most beautifully designed things this culture has ever produced. Gerald Early

The HR derby is a popular fan endorsed event.

Using this logic, Braun shouldn't be in it because, if my guess is correct, he's not one of the more popular players in the league right now.

I don't care much about the AS game, even less about HR derby. I suppose it would be nice for Braun to be in it, but frankly it doesn't matter to me. So its not whether Braun is in or out, its WHY thats the story.

With that said, I do think it's at least interesting if Kemp did snub Braun. That's a story. NOT saying he did, Braun very well may have let him know he wasn't interested. Probably exactly what happened, but I dont think we know for sure.

Yeah, not sure why he'd play in the HR Derby if he's too injured to participate in the All-Star Game. I mean, I know he just has to stand there and hit, but I'm really surprised he'd even take that risk.

I loathe the ASG and all the politics that goes along with it. I'd much rather they said "here's a week off from baseball - fans, take a break, players, go lie on a beach for a few days. Come back refreshed. Thanks".

I for one am glad Ryan is NOT in it. A HR hitting contest can screw up a guy's swing something fierce. We're enjoying a season long HR derby every time Ryan comes to the plate!

#23 tonight.

You are free to believe what you want but there is no evidence that participation the HR derby is detrimental to a player's subsequent performance. I personaly think it's a myth. Sometimes, players who had a great first half, have a poor second have. Just assumed causation.

I've never understood that myth either. I mean, think about it logically. These guys are professional baseball players. Do we really think, I mean, using our brains now, that a few minutes of goof-off batting practice is going to alter someone's swing for the rest of the season? Or even a couple weeks? And then magically, during the offseason (an offseason where there's NO WAY the player would ever goof around with some friends and swing for the fences one day or even play in a charity softball game, right?) the guy's swing returns to normal?

Really, folks.

^ exactly my point.

Yeah, not sure why he'd play in the HR Derby if he's too injured to participate in the All-Star Game. I mean, I know he just has to stand there and hit, but I'm really surprised he'd even take that risk.
Just more proof the the HR derby is just glorified batting practice and that people who think that a player being in the derby is bad for them, or that it will possibly injure them or "ruin" their swing are reaching. Kemp knows he won't hurt himself doing some BP and he knows the fans want him so he's doing it.

The thread title kinda seems like a reach to me, so fair play?
Fair enough, but the fact that Braun leads the league in HR's it was makes this talkable to begin with.

Do you guys really think Kemp and Braun are "friends"? I'd say it's more of both being solid PR guys if anything. I wouldn't read into whatever either has said regarding the Derby or each other.

Do you guys really think Kemp and Braun are "friends"? I'd say it's more of both being solid PR guys if anything. I wouldn't read into whatever either has said regarding the Derby or each other.

No I don't think they are friends. There is video on Yahoo where he says he should have won it and it bothered him that Braun tested postive. So yeah Kemp is still bitter, but it doesn't really bother me if he snubbed Braun from the HR derby.

I was just going to say I hope this motivates Braun.

I remember when Reyes pulled the bunt and out of the game last year for the batting title over Braun. Braun just said he's a great player and said he'd just try and beat him this year.

Im not going to accuse a guy if I have nothing to back it up. If it comes out that Braun wasn't asked, then I would give it some thought. Otherwise, I'm not going to crusify a guy without any knowledge of a situation...sounds similiar to our offseason.

It's been all over the media, both national and local. PTI made it one of their topics. Intentional talk did as well. Braun would have come out by now and said that Kemp asked him but he declined.

Did someone ask him? I would not be the least surprised if he didn't want to stir the pot one way or the other. I think he's fine staying out of the news. I am speculating of course.

EDIT: Upon doing a little reading I see someone did ask him and he responded with a typical PR response. We can infer...but I won't. I will leave it at that.

You'll never know how Braun feels about it because he is a PR master. No matter, he never publicly shows any ill feelings towards anyone or anything. Well, a bit in his PED speech after he was found innocent but that was more than expected and understandable.

Archived