Brewer Fanatic

Mike Fiers - Your 2009, 22nd round pick

Bombers

I give this kid tons of credit, and I'm really becoming a fan of how he pitches. I actually see a bit of Bosio in him. Was he ever coached by Bosio in the minors?

I'm not ready to anoint him as a top of the rotation guy just yet, but I've got to think that he's exceeded even the loftiest expectations thus far.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
115 ERA+ ?

That is Greinke's career ERA+. Is Zack a legit #1 or #2? Seriously, I think Fiers has a chance to put up numbers that are equal to or better than Greinke

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

This is the kind of stuff that makes baseball fun, if you could just read stats ahead of time and correctly predict every game...why bother having games at all?

Prior to his call-up, Fiers was ranked the Brewers' #19 prospect, in our own Power 50. This, is his description..."Fiers is fanning just over a man per IP while allowing only 58 hits and 25 walks in 81.1 AAA / AA frames. At some point, you simply have to forget he was drafted just as he turned 24 and say, "yes, that is a potentially useful future arm on a Brewer staff.'"

Yes indeed, Mr Fiers appears to be a "potentially useful arm."

This is the kind of stuff that makes baseball fun, if you could just read stats ahead of time and correctly predict every game...why bother having games at all?

Prior to his call-up, Fiers was ranked the Brewers' #19 prospect, in our own Power 50. This, is his description..."Fiers is fanning just over a man per IP while allowing only 58 hits and 25 walks in 81.1 AAA / AA frames. At some point, you simply have to forget he was drafted just as he turned 24 and say, "yes, that is a potentially useful future arm on a Brewer staff.'"

Yes indeed, Mr Fiers appears to be a "potentially useful arm."

Do you mean the Power 50 that has not been updated in over a year now or are you talking about the User Power 50 in the MiLB forum.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I just took that from the one that's posted, I couldn't resist quoting, "Potentially useful future arm" right about now.

and he took a good step forward after that was posted.

I am sure there will be a new user Power 50 soon. Hard to say where the new guys will fit in until some of our posters see them play for a while.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I keep reading that Fiers isn't "ace material" whatever that means. I remember back in the day people said the same thing about Mike Caldwell. Then he proceeded to go 38-17 in 78 and 79. Believe me, Caldwell was the ace of Bambi's Bombers. I define an "ace" as a guy who when he's pitching you are almost certain of getting a well pitched game. With 8 quality starts out of 10, including 7 in a row, I'm pretty certain when Fiers takes the mound, the Brewers will be getting a well pitched game. So for right now at least, Fiers is the Brewers ace.

I'm not doubting Fiers' success, but can anyone explain why he was doing just so-so down at AAA this year and all of the sudden just comes up and lights it up?

Is it just hitters seeing him for the first time? Or is the PCL just really that loaded with hitters parks that it inflates pitchers ERA's?

One of his games was in a very hitter-friendly park out west where the wind was blowing out at 25mph. Gave up four hits, but three of them were HRs. That was half of the HRs he gave up all season in AAA.

I keep reading that Fiers isn't "ace material" whatever that means. I remember back in the day people said the same thing about Mike Caldwell. Then he proceeded to go 38-17 in 78 and 79. Believe me, Caldwell was the ace of Bambi's Bombers. I define an "ace" as a guy who when he's pitching you are almost certain of getting a well pitched game. With 8 quality starts out of 10, including 7 in a row, I'm pretty certain when Fiers takes the mound, the Brewers will be getting a well pitched game. So for right now at least, Fiers is the Brewers ace.

I completely agree with this. Fiers may not be the 'sexiest' pitcher since he doesn't throw very hard, but at the end of the day, he gets the job done and then some, every single start just about. I see no reason for him to start slowing down any time soon either. Kid's a stud.

Verified Member

If Fiers's season ended today, there would only be two SP (100% GS) in the modern era with lower FIPs in their rookie seasons (Stephen Strasburg and Dwight Gooden). Nobody has had as good of an ERA/FIP combo (of rookie SP in the modern era with an ERA below 2.00, he has the lowest FIP).

Of course, he only has 65.0 IP so far, but still interesting. :)

Archived