Brewer Fanatic

John Sickels' Minor League Top 120

Wow no Burgos.....what a joke...haha

Curious as to why you're surprised

This Year should speak for itself. Unless these rankings go back to prior years I don't c why he's not on that list. I haven't read or seen anybody having a Year like he's having. Am I missing something besides maybe a couple 2 many walks at AA.

Thanks...my opinion

I guess I wasn't expecting to see a guy like Burgos on a list of basically top-100 talent in all of MiLB. He's pitched very well this season, but it seems like these types of rankings favor raw physical talent at least at a 50/50 ratio with stats. And maybe the fact that he hasn't really stood out, statistically, until this season factored into his exclusion.

Don't get me wrong, I'm excited about Burgos. If he were a NY or other east-coast prospect, he may have even been included. But with how heavily physical talent is weighted in these kinds of lists, one could argue that he's something like the Brewers' 5th or 6th best P prospect.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Wow no Burgos.....what a joke...haha

Curious as to why you're surprised

This Year should speak for itself. Unless these rankings go back to prior years I don't c why he's not on that list. I haven't read or seen anybody having a Year like he's having. Am I missing something besides maybe a couple 2 many walks at AA.

Thanks...my opinion

The walks aren't the issue. The issue is that he's 25 years old at double-A with a very low amount of IP there. Lists like Sickels' or Baseball America take age/level into consideration.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

The walks aren't the issue. The issue is that he's 25 years old at double-A with a very low amount of IP there. Lists like Sickels' or Baseball America take age/level into consideration.

That and the fact that he has been pretty bad every year prior to this one.

I've been impressed quite a bit by Burgos' success this year (I was an early skeptic this year after being on his bandwagon 2 years ago).

As far as scouting goes (in the "Top X lists"), he is always going to be looked down upon for his lack of FB speed or any plus pitch. He doesn't seem to have the movement that Fiers has also (limited scout info in the minors, but...).

If he can keep this up this year and in AAA next year, he will really start to get some notice. But until then, he has too much history of poor pitching to just forget it all without some indication of what specifically changed.

Well thanks for the comments guys... I guess Age is a Big thing in Baseball...24 @AA could Be 25 @AAA this year.

"That and the fact that he has been pretty bad every year prior to this one". (Y should this matter if we are talking 2012 Midseason?)

here is another Line that they should look at... :ohwell

RHP Hiram Burgos has the lowest ERA (0.82) among all MiLB full-season league pitchers since the beginning of June.

RHP Hiram Burgos has the lowest ERA (0.82) among all MiLB full-season league pitchers since the beginning of June.

Yes, I'm sure they'll take one month which amounts to about five or six starts to base their prospect rankings. Tools, age/level are the main thing.

Yes, I'm sure they'll take one month which amounts to about five or six starts to base their prospect rankings. Tools, age/level are the main thing.

Oh its more than one month..his success transfer over from brevard.that's what I'm getting at. But its all good. I like to see what people have to say.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

"That and the fact that he has been pretty bad every year prior to this one". (Y should this matter if we are talking 2012 Midseason?)

Because more often than not, someone that suddenly pitches (or hits) way above their historical levels will eventually regress back. That isn't everyone, as the occasional "light goes on" and someone does drastically improve. But that would be the exception and not the norm.

Results aren't the most important things for minor league players, though. Especially pitchers.

For A-ball and below, I'd agree. But once you get to AA or AAA, potential must turn into production. Someone who can't get AA hitters out isn't going to get a crack at the MLB level.

Archived