Brewer Fanatic

A/C at Miller Park

owbc
Community Moderator

As we all know, Mark A. has spared no expense in keeping Miller Park in great condition. However, the park was still constructed on a limited budget and a few features were left out, the most important of which is air conditioning!!! It has been previously mentioned that the park was designed for a future A/C upgrade.

I was just talking to my family and they said they left the game last night in the 6th inning because it was unbearably hot and uncomfortable (I'm sure the score didn't help). Tonight, they refused free tickets because they had no interest in sitting in a sweltering hot ballpark for 3 hours. I know in previous years the topic has come up, especially when the roof has been closed on a hot night due to the threat of rain. The topic is of special interest this week because the temperature is expected to be near or above 90 degrees for the entire home stand.

The benefits of A/C speak for themselves, here are some possible concerns:

-Cost will probably exceed $10 million (possibly several times that), maybe better to spend that on players?

-MP is nicer with the roof open, having A/C will result in more roof closed games, even when it isn't unbearably hot

-The terrace level will benefit the most, which is the lowest priced seating option and is often half empty

-The lack of A/C doesn't appear to be scaring anyone away

Another possible option would be to upgrade the windows above the terrace level to allow them to be opened when the weather is hot. However, that option may lead to unintended changes in the air currents for fly balls.

Any thoughts?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Call me a purist, but I say no air conditioning. Baseball is played in the summer. It often gets hot in the summer, that's the way it is. Maybe I could see this in Texas or Arizona, but not in Wisconsin. Generally the unbearable heat subsides a bit at sundown.

Bottom line, I don't want to see them start closing the roof for heat. They do this enough in the spring on nice days when it is in the upper 50's/low 60's. I'm not a big fan of watching a game in MP with the roof closed, and in my view it should be closed for rain/extreme cold (basically when they are talking about a windchill) only.

Chase Field is air conditioned. But we also see almost over 100 days here of 100+ degree weather. They routinely play night games with the roof open (I believe 95 degrees is the cutoff). The entire seating bowl is air conditioned. They generally cool the stadium several hours before the game to bring it down to 70 degrees inside. As for Miller Park, I just cant see it being cost effective for the team to spend the money to air condition the stadium for the handful of games where it is oppressively hot outside.
Formerly AirShuttle6104

Community Moderator

The Marlins' roof has only been open 7 times this year. It is unlikely that it will be opened again this year. The A/C makes a big difference when the humidity is high. There is a slight flaw in the ballpark and the top 5 rows or so of the upper deck are above the A/C vents and are about 15 degrees warmer than the rest of the stadium. There has only been 1 sellout so it isn't a serious problem. At Miller Park, the same problem might occur in portions of the upper deck.

I agree that adding A/C is not cost effective, but maybe instead they could just add A/C in the terrace concourse? Or maybe this just isn't that big of a problem since it only affects about 10 summer games per year.

There's only been 1 time that I have been to Miller Park and been truly uncomfortable--almost couldn't breath uncomfortable--and that was an evening game with high humidity and temps in the high 80s. It was a night game against Houston, Johnny Estrada hit a grand slam, and the Crew won.

But I just about passed out once they closed the roof and the air in the terrace boxes (and the rest of the upper tank, I imagine) just got heavy and still. When the roof was open, the air moved around and it wasn't bad. But with it closed, it became stagnant and those people, like me, with breathing problems already were not comfortable. I know I began to hyperventilate, just trying to get enough oxygen in my system.

At that time, 10 plus years of living in the dry desert was what did it to me. My lungs just weren't used to that high level of humidity without any air movement.

I guess, if A/C was not an option (I like the idea of putting it in the terrace concourse, at least), they really need to get some fans installed or something, just to get the air movement.

I'm probably in the major minority on this one, though. I don't get to many games in Milwaukee anymore (< 1 game per year) so I guess whatever they decide is the best.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

I moved my seats to the club level this season mainly for this reason. I have a lot of Sunday games in my package, so they are hot in the summer. In the club I can just go out in the concourse, and into the A/C for awhile if need be. But otherwise I've been uncomfortable quite a few times before. I still don't think it's necessary to have A/C though. It wouldn't be used enough. Maybe 10 times or so a season when it's overly hot.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

I've always wanted them to find a way to make some of the 1b/3b panels openable. Creating ventilation would be far better and cost-effective than the millions per season to air condition the place

That's what really surprised me about the glass panels outside the basepaths, why isnt there some kind of mechanical lever system to open and close them, even on the heave rain days, if they open correctly, you could possibly leave them open (depending on the wind of course)

You knew me as Myday2001.

I moved my seats to the club level this season mainly for this reason. I have a lot of Sunday games in my package, so they are hot in the summer. In the club I can just go out in the concourse, and into the A/C for awhile if need be. But otherwise I've been uncomfortable quite a few times before. I still don't think it's necessary to have A/C though. It wouldn't be used enough. Maybe 10 times or so a season when it's overly hot.

Yep, this is why I sit 95% in the Club level during the summer. The AC'ed concourse is just wonderful on those hot days.

Call me a purist, but I say no air conditioning. Baseball is played in the summer. It often gets hot in the summer, that's the way it is.

That's fine, but Miller Park isn't designed for summer weather. The high roof and cylinder shape doesn't allow for summer breezes to blow across the seating. I have been at a few games where it's 90+ and breezy in the parking lot, but still and stuffy in the stands. The architecture makes the most pleasant hot summer days infsufferable, imho.

Chase Field is air conditioned. But we also see almost over 100 days here of 100+ degree weather. They routinely play night games with the roof open (I believe 95 degrees is the cutoff). The entire seating bowl is air conditioned. They generally cool the stadium several hours before the game to bring it down to 70 degrees inside. As for Miller Park, I just cant see it being cost effective for the team to spend the money to air condition the stadium for the handful of games where it is oppressively hot outside.

We have a lot more humidity than Arizona, so heat index would probably be a better cutoff tool than temperature.

My concern is that it could take several hours to cool the place. The worst situations are when rain starts and the roof has to be closed during the game. On warm days, there might not be time for the air conditioning to kick in.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Call me a purist, but I say no air conditioning. Baseball is played in the summer. It often gets hot in the summer, that's the way it is.

That's fine, but Miller Park isn't designed for summer weather. The high roof and cylinder shape doesn't allow for summer breezes to blow across the seating. I have been at a few games where it's 90+ and breezy in the parking lot, but still and stuffy in the stands. The architecture makes the most pleasant hot summer days infsufferable, imho.

The problem is really that MP is more of a dome in my book than an actual outdoor stadium. They should have figured out a way to open up some of the concourses without glassing everything in. On games that I go to where the dome is actually open, I prefer to sit out in the Loge Bleachers to actually feel like I'm outside. I'm sure that this is an unpopular opinion here.... but at this point, I wish that they would have just built the stadium without a roof. Obviously it was a great business move, but you are talking about saving maybe 3-4 rain outs a year plus a dozen or so games with cold/inclement weather. Another part of the reason that the retractable roof was sold is that the stadium would be used year round, and that hasn't happened.

I've never had a problem with the temperature in there so long as the roof is closed. If I wanted to see a temperature improvement to Miller Park I'd like to see it be able to heat up more so that they can play basketball there and eventually make a bid for a Final Four.

Community Moderator

If people are upgrading to more expensive seats for the A/C, then it definitely doesn't make sense for them to add A/C in the cheap seats.

I can't see Miller Park ever getting a major event like the Final Four, even with added heating. That is a big event designed to be in a downtown area with nearby hotels and convention space. Plus, the roof still has some drips--what if it rains? And I think people would rather be anywhere but Milwaukee at the beginning of April.

Depending on how the Badgers/Minnesota/Notre Dame hockey doubleheader draws at Soldier Field this year, they could consider something like that. The NHL has gone over well in baseball stadiums and Miller Park is the next logical choice for a Badgers outdoor game. But they might even consider opening the roof for that event. The Winter Classic itself is in high demand and is unlikely to come to a non-NHL city.

There has been some talk about football in the past as well, but I think they do not want to damage the field. They have even been reluctant to book concerts for this reason.

One event that might be a possibility is the World Baseball Classic. I think Milwaukee fans would turn out for that in big numbers. A US team with Ryan Braun would sell out easily.

I don't know why Milwaukee doesn't try to make a bid for Wrestlemania at Miller Park. It's now really a week-long event that brings in a ton of revenue to the hosting city. They only do Wrestlemania in large stadiums now, so Miller would be perfect. Plus it's a bucket list thing for me to attend a Wrestlemania, and it would be much easier to do if it were in Milwaukee.

the retractable roof was sold is that the stadium would be used year round, and that hasn't happened.

If I remember correctly, Miller Park was sold as a three season facility, at least as it applies to the seating bowl. Other areas, e.g. the clubs and restaurants, would be four-season, of course.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

I've never had a problem with the temperature in there so long as the roof is closed. If I wanted to see a temperature improvement to Miller Park I'd like to see it be able to heat up more so that they can play basketball there and eventually make a bid for a Final Four.

it's not big enough to host a final four. those are put in football stadiums (superdome, georgia dome, lucas oil, ford field, etc) that can seat 70,000. Miller Park is not an option. Maybe it could host a regional one day (there's been a push to bigger stadiums for that. I saw the badgers get blown up at Ford Field in the S16....i think the GA Dome and Edward Jones Dome hosted them this year), but no chance at a final four.

Wrestlemania is a good idea though.

Community Moderator

Indianapolis is good at getting big events so it is possible. A big event that Milwaukee could potentially get is Republican or Democratic National Convention, especially considering Wisconsin has been a political hotbed of late. However, the event would likely be held at the new arena (if it is built) and not at Miller Park. It is important to advocate for a downtown entertainment/convention district if Milwaukee is ever to host events like that.

Miller Park is very good for baseball. But for many of these other events, using a baseball park is more of a gimmick than actually serving a practical purpose. Football stadiums work better and there is now a long list of new indoor football stadiums available and soon to be another one in Minneapolis.

The problem is really that MP is more of a dome in my book than an actual outdoor stadium. They should have figured out a way to open up some of the concourses without glassing everything in. On games that I go to where the dome is actually open, I prefer to sit out in the Loge Bleachers to actually feel like I'm outside. I'm sure that this is an unpopular opinion here.... but at this point, I wish that they would have just built the stadium without a roof. Obviously it was a great business move, but you are talking about saving maybe 3-4 rain outs a year plus a dozen or so games with cold/inclement weather....

I agree. Target Field is a beautiful place to watch a baseball game. I thought they were nuts not to build a dome, but really, how many games has it ruined or postponed? You can always dress warmer for a cool day.

being a 3y season tix holder w the AZ DBacks, they sell phx residents on coming out to the ballpark for the possibility of doing an activity in a AC climate controlled environment. i think if the brewers ever tried to pull that off and closed the roof and pumped in AC on a hot summer day, youd see more folks complain theyd rather be outside!!

possible solution for anyone who doesnt like the swelter, the shade on the 1B side of the field is better than being in the sun. also, i guess theres also the possibility of "hanging out" in the team store which is definitely AC.

Community Moderator

It seems like the consensus is that A/C is a bad idea because it will not be used very much and will lead to more roof closures.

Most agree that having air conditioned concourses (especially in the terrace) would be a nice addition. This might not be possible depending on how the HVAC is set up.

Having the ability to open some of the windows above the terrace level would also be a good idea to help move a breeze through the park. It seems like the problem isn't necessarily that it is too hot, but that some areas of the terrace do not experience any air movement.

I agree with no A/C.

I also think A/C in the concourse would be kind of hard as it would just escape and you would waste money. Kind of like putting A/C in the garage. What for. Once you open the door, you are going to lose a lot of it. In the concourse, the door is always open. So I am unsure of the benefit.

I like the large ceiling fans they installed in the concourse they just need more of them.

I agree, it would be nice to open some windows up in the 400 level.

Also, what about a mist zone that you find at theme parks? I understand, some kids might abuse it and get pretty wet but you could also have someone monitor it so kids aren't getting drenched and walking around the park.

We usually sit on the 1st base side during summer day games, for the shade. As I understand it, the concourse on the 300 level is air-conditioned, so a retreat into the air-conditioning in between innings could help. We're sitting in that area on the 4th vs Miami, I'll report back after the game
The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Archived