Brewer Fanatic

Hart Long-term at First Base

rickh150

Is it too soon to give Hart an extension? Should he get one? Should he be traded? These are topics that have been brought up here quite often within other threads in the last year (as well as a few years ago).

I argue that the Brewers keep him:

1. He still has a lot of pop left in his bat for the next few years.

2. He has been playing, as RR said, "gold glove" caliber first base.

3. Hart has mentioned recently that he will bat or position anywhere just so he is still with the Brewers.

4. The Brewers likely could not get his production from FA without overpaying, ala Jason Worth, Jason Bay.

5. The Brewers have no power hitters coming through their system in the next couple of years.

If we cannot sign Greinke, if we choose to let Marcum walk, if we decide to buy out Wolf's option, the next thing on the agenda should be extending Hart for another two or three years with a portion of that money.

If (or when) we lose those 3 pitchers we better be trying to find a pitching staff. Hart will be the least of the worries.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

If we cannot sign Greinke, if we choose to let Marcum walk, if we decide to buy out Wolf's option, the next thing on the agenda should be extending Hart for another two or three years with a portion of that money.

Would Hart take a 2-3 year contract? This is his last chance for a big contract, so I have a hunch that he will insist on a 4-5 year contract.

If all those guys walk there is no reason to keep Hart around for the few extra wins he would provide over his replacement over the next few years.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

If the Brewers rip up next year's contract, they could make it a new four year deal (60 million?). That might get it done.

I too want the Crew to shore up pitching quickly, but this Hart deal is more urgent I feel. If it gets too late into 2013, he'll probably want to test the FA waters too thinking that the Brewers are taking him for granted.

Hart was terribly under appreciated last year for his numbers in just five months of play. He is being under appreciated this year for his power and versatility, along with his willlingness to be yanked around in the order on a weekly basis.

To me, it has nothing to do with his abilities. I've never been a huge fan of his and while he has his faults, he's still a good player. That being said, he's on the wrong side of 30 and will be relatively expensive at positions where we already have young and/or cheap bodies already here or coming up (Gamel, Green, Aoki, Schafer, Gindl, Morris, etc.). He's still under contract through next year and after that will be entering his age 32 season.

I think he definitely has trade value so I would actually look to shop him in the offseason. I think what he brings back in a trade, combined with the savings from his salary and production from whatever player fills in for him, won't be too far off of whatever value he brings himself. If we still had a great pitching staff/bullpen, a SS, and a non-struggling 2B, then I might consider offering him a 2 yr extension. Depending on what happens with Greinke/Marcum, I don't know if we'll be competing next year so I would look to get some talent back for him. And then when (hopefully) some/all of Thornburg/Jungmann/Bradley/Peralta are in the rotation by 2014, we will be ready to compete and could maybe use that extra cash from Hart to get a good SS/3B/SP.

This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

With the extra wild card and one less team in the Central, along with a 85-90 million budget and promising young, cheap pitching, the Brewers shouldn't feel they are hopelessly out of it from 2014-2016.

With the extra wild card and one less team in the Central, along with a 85-90 million budget and promising young, cheap pitching, the Brewers shouldn't feel they are hopelessly out of it from 2014-2016.

Again, I'm not saying that. It boils to down to this: Hart will be 32 and he's already lost quite a bit of speed. I think his body will continue to break down at a faster-than-normal rate. He will also most likely be looking for 4+ years and 12+ mil/yr. I think he will be closer to an .800 OPS than the .865 OPS he's put up the past few years during that time period. I ultimately think it won't be worth it and the money will be better spent elsewhere (including not spending it). There is no rule that says we need to have a $90+ million payroll every year. I would maybe consider a 2/24 extension but I don't want to get into Hart after age 34. And like I said, I think he could bring back some good talent, maybe even a top 100 prospect.

This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

If the Brewers rip up next year's contract, they could make it a new four year deal (60 million?). That might get it done.

Ugh. $15 million a year and another 4 years? While he has been playing pretty good defense at first, he basically has one or two good offensive stats (slugging % and HRs) He cannot get on base consistently. He strikes out a ton. And he's clearly lost a step speed wise. He'll be 31 next season. I have no interest in giving him 4 more years. As I've said before, the Harts and the Weeks are the exact type of players Milwaukee needs to walk away from if they are going to continue to succeed year in and year out. I'll be very disappointed if they can't resign Greinke and then turn around and throw $60 million at Corey Hart. With guys like Mat Gamel, Hunter Morris, and even Khris Davis around I see no reason to give Corey Hart a contract past next season.

Before I did anything with Hart, I'd wait until I saw how the off-season was shaping up. With lots of defections, I'd do 3 years in the $30-35 million range without hesitation, with perhaps a vesting option for a 4th year... not sure if Hart would though. I certainly wouldn't go crazy with money/years.

I'll be very disappointed if they can't resign Greinke and then turn around and throw $60 million at Corey Hart. With guys like Mat Gamel, Hunter Morris, and even Khris Davis around I see no reason to give Corey Hart a contract past next season.

100% agree. If Hart was 27, different story, but if we can't throw money at Greinke, then we shouldn't be throwing it at guys like Hart either...

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

The Brewers have very few guys who are "franchise players". Braun obviously. Gallardo. And Jonathan Lucroy is very close to being there, if he isn't already. Zack Greinke would be a franchise player if extended and I'd like to see the Brewers pay him accordingly. Everyone else on the team is expendable in my opinion. Corey Hart is past his prime and should not be treated like a franchise player anymore.

What I don't like seeing are the constant extensions and contracts to guys who are just average or are past their primes. Corey Hart, especially at first base, is just about average, maybe slightly above. No way do you give him three or four more years at $10-15 million a year. That money can be better spent elsewhere.

I argue that the Brewers keep him:.

I agree. Hart isn't going anywhere. Only scenario he'd be traded would be a Greinke package for the Rangers blue chip SS prospect and I see that as extremely unlikely. He's been a team guy and has stated repeatedly that he likes Milwaukee and wants to stay. Doug & Mark will repay that sort of loyalty. Throw in his surprisingly solid infield defense (to me at least) and I expect him to be our starting first basemen for the next 2 to 3 years. If anything, Gamel is traded or moved to the OF if his recovery goes well.

Unless he signs an extension in the $10-12mish range we probably don't want to sign him to an extension. There is no reason to keep Hart if we are not going to compete while he is here. The difference between Hart and his replacement isn't worth paying for unless we are in need of the difference in wins. Basically unless we are close to competing for the division we don't want him. The prospect we would get in return is probably much more valuable.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I would rather see him traded than extended. His average is now down to .246 with a OBP barely above .300. He has been solid at first and does have some pop left, but at his age they can't afford to extend him for the money he will want. They will need pitching more than anything and that is where that money should go.

Hart is exactly the type of player I don't want to see the Brewers give $10 million to $15 million a year to.

As someone else said, his OBP is currently at .308, and that is historically bad for a starting 1B... he's a career .330 OBP and .815 OPS and 114 OPS+ guy.... those are really pretty horrible numbers for a cost-controlled guy at 1B, let alone someone you wanna give how much money to, again? It is scary to think that the Brewers would even consider such a thing... Hart's numbers are much much closer to Travis Ishikawa's numbers this year than an All-Star 1B

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

I love Corey Hart, but I too would rather see him traded now while his value is still high. I have to believe next season either Gamel can play 1B again, or they can sign a short term stop gap until someone like Hunter Morris is ready to take over.

I have to agree at this point. Mainly based on the rumored return from the Dodgers for Carlos Lee. I have a feeling that the Brewers could get a ton for Hart at this point.

Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

I think Raw Biz pretty much nailed it. Hart has been underrated, and he worked hard after cratering a few years back to reemerge as a valuable player. He deserves credit for all that. But he's going to be a 32 year-old, .850 OPS 1B, and you just don't shell out big money for a guy like that when you have lots of other holes to fill. I think you listen to offers this year, deal him if somebody makes an offer you can't refuse, and otherwise aim to deal him in the offseason.

Archived