Brewer Fanatic

Link Report for Wed. 6/27 -- Back-on-track outings for Wily Peralta, Jed Bradley

Brewer Fanatic Staff

STARS COMEBACK FALLS SHORT AGAINST BAYBEARS

HUNTSVILLE, Ala. – After turning a four-run deficit into a tie game, the Huntsville Stars fell to the Mobile BayBears by a score of 8-4 in the second game of a five-game series at Joe Davis Stadium on Wednesday night.

Beginning in the fourth inning, the Stars had to play catch-up. To start the inning, BayBears right fielder Mark Krauss singled and second baseman David Nick doubled off of Stars starter Evan Anundsen. Following a one-out walk by left fielder Dan Kaczrowski, a bases-clearing double from catcher Rossmel Perez gave Mobile an initial 3-0 lead.

In the fifth inning, following a single by shortstop Chris Owings and an error by Stars shortstop Tommy Manzella to advance Owings to third, a sacrifice fly by Nick made the score 4-0 in favor of the BayBears.

However, the Stars began their comeback push against BayBears starter Chase Anderson in the fifth inning. To lead off the frame, right fielder Kentrail Davis reached via an error and then scored on a pinch-hit double by Domnit Bolivar to cut the Stars deficit to three.

For the Stars, their comeback continued into the sixth inning as second baseman Scooter Gennett walked against Mobile RHP Eric Smith to lead off the inning. The next at-bat, Gennett scored on a RBI double by first baseman Hunter Morris to make it a 4-2 game. After advancing to third on a Hainley Statia groundout, Morris scored on a wild pitch from Smith to cut the BayBears lead to one. Then, with two outs, Davis reached on another error and then scored on a RBI double from Manzella to tie up the ballgame.

From that point on, the BayBears dominated the night as they scored the final four runs of the ballgame.

On the pitching side, Stars reliever Brandon Kintzler fell to 0-2 on the season after he allowed Mobile center fielder Evan Frey to score on a wild pitch and gave up a solo home run to Krauss in the seventh inning.

Mobile also got two insurance runs in the ninth inning on a sacrifice fly by first baseman Yazi Arbello and a RBI single by Kaczrowski off of Stars LHP Philippe Valiquette.

In his second start since coming off the disabled list, Anundsen gave up four runs on seven hits through five innings for his second straight no-decision.

On offense, Morris led the way with another 2-for-4 night at the plate, his second in as many nights. For Morris, the RBI double in the sixth gave him his 24 th run batted in during the month of June, a total that leads the Southern League. The double was also his league-leading 26 th of the season.

Game three of a five-game series will begin on Thursday as the Stars will send RHP Kyle Heckathorn (2-7, 4.37 ERA) to the mound to square off against LHP David Holmberg (0-1, 4.26 ERA). First pitch is at 6:43 PM.

Final: Nashville 4, Round Rock 0

Buller Homers Twice As Sounds Blank Express, 4-0

Four Pitchers Combine For Nashville's PCL Co-Leading Seventh Shutout

ROUND ROCK, Tex. - Catcher Dayton Buller homered twice to power the Nashville Sounds to a 4-0 shutout victory over the Round Rock Express in the opener of a three-game series on Wednesday night at The Dell Diamond.

Four pitchers combined for Nashville's PCL co-leading seventh shutout of the season, which also snapped an eight-game losing streak to the Express at The Dell Diamond.

Nashville (32-48) went yard three times on the night has homered in 10 of its last 12 games overall. Buller's two-homer performance marked the first multiple-homer game of his 11-year career and third two-homer effort by a Sound this season.

Shortstop Jeff Bianchi had two hits and a stolen base while second baseman Eric Farris singled to extend his hitting streak to nine games, which matches a season high.

Nashville starter Wily Peralta (3-8) tossed 5 2/3 shutout innings before experiencing leg cramps and precautionary leaving the contest. The 23-year old allowed four hits and three walks while inducing three double plays for the victory.

Buller took Rangers rehabbing starting pitcher Derek Holland deep in the top of the third inning to give the Sounds a 1-0 lead. The homer was Buller's first of the season and first in 166 at-bats since August 5, 2010 vs. Carolina.

· AUDIO: Dayton Buller's First HR

In the next frame, first baseman Sean Halton went yard on Round Rock reliever Ross Wolf for the game's next run. Later in the inning after hits from left fielder Jordan Brown and second baseman Eric Farris, Express shortstop Luis Hernandez committed a costly fielding error during Buller's routine groundout that allowed Brown to score.

· AUDIO: Sean Halton Goes Deep

Later in the contest during the seventh inning, Buller hit a towering fly ball down the left field line that landed on top of the roof of the home run porch that was initially ruled a foul ball. After Sounds manager Mike Guerrero appealed, which caused the umpires to convene and change the call to a home run, Round Rock manager Bobby Jones was ejected.

Reliever Robert Wooten stranded his only batter in 1 1/3 scoreless inning. Mike McClendon followed with a perfect inning and one strikeout. Jim Henderson struck out two in an inning to end the game.

In his first rehab start, Holland (0-1) gave up one run on three hits in three innings for the loss.

The Sounds and Express continue with the second game of a three games series at 7:05 pm CT at The Dell Diamond. Coming off a strong performance and victory, right-hander Mark Rogers (3-4, 5.65) takes the hill for the Sounds against Express righty Derek Hankins (2-4, 4.20).

Nashville Box Score

When Wily Peralta walked his 3rd batter I hopped up and ran to the bathroom quick only to get back and hear that he had pulled for an apparent injury. I was pretty worried until the next inning when Jeff mentioned he thought it was leg related, and then relieved a couple of innings later when it was revealed to be cramping. This was the first Peralta start I caught all of, and I was pretty happy with him, he was ahead in counts, getting a ton of groundballs, and 2 of the hits against him were borderline misplayed balls on the IF ruled hits. Did you know that Wily was leading the PCL in GB ratio?

Free Jim Henderson! I agree with Jeff that Henderson is certainly worthy of an all-star appearance.

Dayton Buller hadn't hit a home run in over 160 games if I remember what Jeff said correctly, but he hit 2 tonight. Jeff Bianchi (pronounced Bee-ankee which still surprises me) had the other multi-hit game as he was 2-3 with a walk and queue the calls for Sean Halton to get more playing time. Halton did get caught stealing (which oddly I don't remember) and Caleb Gindl got picked off first.

Nashville Play By Play

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Brewer Fanatic Staff

3rd round RHP Zach Quintana, the Nevada high schooler, made his pro debut for Maryvale tonight

AZL Giants Bottom of the 6th

Pitcher Change: Zachary Quintana replaces Carlos Sosa.

Christian Diaz grounds out, first baseman Alan Sharkey to pitcher Zachary Quintana.

Travious Relaford singles on a ground ball to third baseman Taylor Smith-Brennan.

With Randy Ortiz batting, wild pitch by Zachary Quintana, Travious Relaford to 2nd.

Randy Ortiz walks.

Stephen Branca grounds into a force out, third baseman Taylor Smith-Brennan to second baseman Jose Sermo. Travious Relaford to 3rd. Randy Ortiz out at 2nd. Stephen Branca to 1st.

Hector Mercedes singles on a ground ball to left fielder Malcolm Dowell. Travious Relaford scores. Stephen Branca to 2nd.

With Ryan Honeycutt batting, wild pitch by Zachary Quintana, Stephen Branca to 3rd. Hector Mercedes to 2nd.

Ryan Honeycutt flies out to center fielder Dionis Hinojosa.

AZL Giants Bottom of the 7th

Mitchell Delfino singles on a line drive to center fielder Dionis Hinojosa.

Shayne Houck flies out to right fielder Jose Pena.

Eldred Barnett strikes out swinging.

Christian Diaz strikes out swinging.

Rattler Radio Nine after 9

Home games always include video highlights!

5. Garfield wasn’t the only Rattler with three hits tonight. Lance Roenicke had three, including the two-run single in the second inning. You may want to check the Post-Crescent Sports section in the morning. Mike Woods got a quote from Lance’s dad, who was tuned in on the radio for the first hit and got to the ballpark to see the next two hits. Lance’s dad, you know, Ron Roenicke.

Wisconsin Timber Rattlers' win serves as Roenickes' reunion

Written by Mike Woods

Post-Crescent staff writer

GRAND CHUTE — Good days have been harder to come by for Milwaukee Brewers manager Ron Roenicke this season. But you can count Wednesday as a very good day.

Roenicke started the day in Cincinnati and saw his Brewers get a much-needed 8-4 win against the first-place Reds and avoid a three-game sweep.

Then he got home, hopped in his car and drove to Time Warner Cable Field at Fox Cities Stadium and watched his son Lance go three-for-four and drive in two runs as the Wisconsin Timber Rattlers won their second straight with a 6-5 victory over Quad Cities in Midwest League play.

“Oh, they were both great,” Ron Roenicke said of the two games. “We needed a win badly in Cincinnati, but it sure is fun coming and seeing Lance. I don’t get to see him play many games so it was fun.”

And to see your son play well is fantastic for any father, no matter what your occupation.

“That was great,” said Roenicke of Lance, who raised his average to .625 in his brief time with the Rattlers. “We heard him get one hit on the drive up here and then got to see him get a couple more.”

For the Roenickes, being on the same field at the same time has been a rarity.

“I think this is just the third game he’s seen me since high school,” said Lance, who along with Mitch Heniger delivered two-out, two-run singles in a six-run second inning. “He saw two games in college, both of those games this year, and then tonight. It was nice having him here, I wish I would have known he was there (in the stands).”

Ron Roenicke may be here again today, as the Brewers have a day off. But it will be because of Lance Roenicke’s play that will get him on the lineup card.

“The report is he grinds out some ABs, and he’s shown to do that in limited opportunities here,” said Rattlers manager Matt Erickson. “But I think I should throw him in there again and give him another opportunity. I think that would be a good manager’s move.”

Lance Roenicke would love that opportunity and would love to play in front of his father again.

“There’s a little more pressure just because I know he’s here,” said Lance, “but I’ve played in front of him before; football and basketball back in high school. I like when he comes around. It’s a good feeling having him here.”

In part because for Lance, it rekindles some pleasant childhood memories and brings together a nice symmetry.

“I think it’s fun for him to come down here and see me play because this is how I grew up,’’ said Lance. “I watched my dad coach in the minor leagues when I was young, and so now I’m here playing and he’s watching me. So it’s kind of cool.’’

Final: DSL Braves 3, DSL Brewers 2

DSL Brewers Box Score

21 year old Juan Santiago finally gave up his first runs (1 earned) of the season, but it's hard to be excited about a 21 year old at the lowest level of professional baseball without an accurate scouting report to go with. Juan went 5IP allowing 6H, 2R, 1ER, 1WP, and 1BB against 6SO posting a 9:0 ratio. Victor Diaz made his first appearance of the season pitching a scoreless inning. Junior Flores is having a rough start and got the loss giving up a run over his 2 innings.

On the offensive side Francisco Castillo led the way going 3-4 with a 2B and he stole 2 bases bringing his season total to 17. Carlos Belonis went 2-4 with a triple and was caught stealing for the 4th time. Alejandro Mendoza added the other XBH, a 2B. The defense was poor in this game as the Brewers committed 4 errors, Belonis his 6th (fielding), Jose Dicent his 1st (fielding), and Santiago and Diaz had errant pick off attempts. However both pitchers also record a PO at 1B in the game.

DSL Brewers Play By Play

Pretty bad sequences for both runs Santiago allowed, at least he got out of it without further damage with 2 big Ks in the 5th.

DSL Braves Bottom of the 1st

• Luis Monasterio singles on a ground ball to center fielder Francisco Castillo.
    Juruengelo Tielman reaches on force attempt, fielding error by shortstop Carlos Belonis. Luis Monasterio to 2nd.
    Miguel Rivero grounds into a force out, second baseman Raphachel Colatosti to shortstop Carlos Belonis. Luis Monasterio to 3rd. Juruengelo Tielman out at 2nd. Miguel Rivero to 1st.
    With Ibrahim McKenzie batting, wild pitch by Juan Santiago, Luis Monasterio scores. Miguel Rivero to 2nd.
    Ibrahim McKenzie singles on a ground ball to center fielder Francisco Castillo. Miguel Rivero to 3rd.
    Victor Reyes grounds into double play, shortstop Carlos Belonis to second baseman Raphachel Colatosti to first baseman Alejandro Mendoza. Ibrahim McKenzie out at 2nd.

DSL Braves Bottom of the 5th

Cristian Palacios walks.

Luis Monasterio out on a sacrifice bunt, pitcher Juan Santiago to first baseman Alejandro Mendoza. Cristian Palacios to 2nd.

Juruengelo Tielman singles on a ground ball to shortstop Carlos Belonis. Cristian Palacios to 3rd.

With Miguel Rivero batting, wild pitch by Juan Santiago, Juruengelo Tielman to 2nd.

With Miguel Rivero batting, throwing error by Juan Santiago on the pickoff attempt, Cristian Palacios scores. Juruengelo Tielman to 3rd.

Miguel Rivero called out on strikes.

Ibrahim McKenzie called out on strikes.

The only runs put on the board for the Brewers.

DSL Brewers Top of the 6th

• Yunior De La Cruz lines out to shortstop Cristian Palacios.
    Alejandro Mendoza doubles (1) on a fly ball to center fielder Jose Morel.
    Francisco Castillo singles on a ground ball to shortstop Cristian Palacios. Alejandro Mendoza to 3rd.
    Raphachel Colatosti flies out to right fielder Miguel Rivero.
    Carlos Belonis triples (2) on a fly ball to center fielder Jose Morel. Alejandro Mendoza scores. Francisco Castillo scores.
    Pitcher Change: Ray Cabrera replaces Nelson Leon.
    Elvis Rubio grounds out, second baseman Luis Monasterio to first baseman Ibrahim McKenzie.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Rattler Radio Nine after 9

5. Garfield wasn’t the only Rattler with three hits tonight. Lance Roenicke had three, including the two-run single in the second inning. You may want to check the Post-Crescent Sports section in the morning. Mike Woods got a quote from Lance’s dad, who was tuned in on the radio for the first hit and got to the ballpark to see the next two hits. Lance’s dad, you know, Ron Roenicke.

Tyler Cravy‘s June: 12IP, 10H, 5R, 3ER, 2BB, 17Ks

Just keep making progress Tyler.

- Plato

- Plato

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Sounds' Peralta blanks Express

Brewers prospect allows four hits in 5 2/3 scoreless innings

By Jonathan Raymond / Special to MLB.com

Pitching can be unkind to a young arm with power behind it but less refined control.

Wily Peralta has, at times this season, been all too aware of that fact.

On Wednesday, he harnessed his stuff and looked like the pitcher who established himself as the Brewers' top prospect.

Peralta gave up four hits and three walks while striking out four over 5 2/3 innings in Triple-A Nashville's 4-0 blanking of Round Rock. It was the first time this season the big right-hander registered at least five scoreless frames.

"I feel good [about this start]," Peralta said. "I've been bad at times this year; today, I finally got one."

The start brought him a little bit closer to the track he seemed to be on through the first month of the season. In four of his last five outings, the native of the Dominican Republic has limited opponents to three earned runs or fewer. That's something he didn't do once from May 17-June 1, a stretch that saw his ERA climb to 6.83.

The only hiccup in his recent run came in his previous outing on June 22, when he retired only two batters and was charged with four runs against Oklahoma City.

"You know, when you're struggling, you've got a lot of things going wrong," Peralta said. "But I know I can do it. I've struggled before, I know I'll get out of it. I stay positive and work hard and do my best."

Against the Express, he was as close to his best as he's been in a couple of months. Peralta (3-8) got Brad Nelson to hit into an inning-ending double play in the first, leaving runners at the corners. The 23-year-old also stranded a runner at third in the third, then faced the minimum until walking Ryan Spilborghs on his 71st and final pitch.

"I've been struggling this year a little [with command], but it was working tonight," Peralta said. "Locating pitches better, getting ahead in counts, that's the thing I've been working on. Command my pitches, command my fastball. That's it."

The early exit was due to cramping in his legs, something Peralta downplayed.

In his last five outings, MLB.com's No. 40 overall prospect has a 3.80 ERA over 23 1/3 innings, striking out 23 and walking 16. For the season, he's struck out 67 and walked 48 in 77 1/3 innings.

Location remains Peralta's biggest issue. He can blow pitches by just about anyone but knows his impressive velocity won't do much good if he's not in the strike zone.

"I've been working hard in my bullpen sessions, so today on the mound I felt great," he said. "I just want to keep going out there and doing the same -- don't try and throw too hard. Make the pitches and locate it."

This season has been Peralta's most challenging since he pitched in the Rookie-level Arizona League in 2006, the year after the Brewers signed him as a non-drafted free agent. Last year, he struck out 117 over 119 2/3 innings and compiled a 3.46 ERA at Double-A Huntsville before a promotion to the Pacific Coast League. In five Triple-A starts, he was 2-0 with a 2.03 ERA.

After four solid outings to begin this season, Peralta got his first Major League callup and made his Milwaukee debut against the Rockies on April 22.

Catcher Dayton Buller provided most of the offense for the Sounds, homering twice. Sean Halton also went yard.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Final: Arizona Giants 9, Arizona Brewers 2

Box Score

As noted, any game with a Boof Bonser sighting from the opposition is unique - he's on his way back from Tommy John surgery; the Brewers' starter, RHP Maverick Lasker made his 2012 debut, he's been battling lower back issues -- technically I believe this qualifies as an injury rehab from Wisconsin for him, as Baseball America noted his formal placement on the DL last week.

Game was tied at 2-2 heading to the bottom of the 4th, but a 2-spot there followed by a four-run 5th broke things open. Each team committed four errors, but the SF kids did a better job minimizing the damage.

18-year-old 2nd round pick Tyrone Taylor had the only multiple-hit game and stole his first pro base. You'll see three youngsters drew two walks apiece when you click, but through six games, the A-Crew's line is .197 / .262 / .296, last in each category league-wide.

Pitching-wise: 11.12 ERA and 2.49 team WHIP.

World domination may take a bit...

Game Log

Defensive Substitution: Alfredo Rodriguez replaces left fielder Yonki Hernandez, batting 7th, playing left field.

This is actually incorrect. Rodriguez replaced Kevin Berard, who injured either his knee or ankle chasing a pop fly into the bullpen in foul territory. Berard had to be assisted off the field.

Wisconsin Timber Rattlers' win serves as Roenickes' reunion

Written by Mike Woods

Post-Crescent staff writer

GRAND CHUTE — Good days have been harder to come by for Milwaukee Brewers manager Ron Roenicke this season. But you can count Wednesday as a very good day.

Roenicke started the day in Cincinnati and saw his Brewers get a much-needed 8-4 win against the first-place Reds and avoid a three-game sweep.

Then he got home, hopped in his car and drove to Time Warner Cable Field at Fox Cities Stadium and watched his son Lance go three-for-four and drive in two runs as the Wisconsin Timber Rattlers won their second straight with a 6-5 victory over Quad Cities in Midwest League play.

Doug Melvin and Craig Counsell were also there last night. We were sitting virtually right next to all three of them, until RR moved over a section to sit with his wife.

Cingrani dazzles in best outing as pro

Reds prospect strikes out 15, pitches eight one-hit innings

By Sam Dykstra / Special to MLB.com

http://www.milb.com/images/2012/06/28/eyHgltRG.jpg

Tony Cingrani has recorded four double-digit strikeout games in his two-year career. (Chris Nelson)

Tony Cingrani couldn't decide where Wednesday's start ranked in his baseball career.

The Reds' No. 10 prospect had just taken a no-hitter into the seventh and finished with 15 strikeouts over eight shutout innings in Double-A Pensacola's 5-0 win over Jackson. It was the highest strikeout total in the longest outing of his two-year Minor League career.

When pressed about what could best such an outing, the 22-year-old left-hander mentioned a six-inning no-hitter he threw for Lincoln-Way Central High School in Lenox, Ill., in March 2007. That start stood out because it came against St. Rita of Cascia High School, one of the better baseball programs in Chicago's south suburbs.

Then he remembered his opponents on Wednesday and changed his mind.

"This was probably the best," he said. "This was better because it's obviously against better hitters and guys who have been in the pros for a while."

Cingrani retired his first 14 batters -- 10 on strikeouts, including three in the opening inning -- before issuing a two-out walk to Denny Almonte in the fifth. The former Rice closer promptly picked off the Generals center fielder.

He didn't surrender his first hit until Leury Bonilla lined a single to left field with one out in the seventh. And while he lost a chance at an even more historic evening, Cingrani admitted he wasn't miffed.

"I was obviously aware of it, but I wasn't worried about it," he said. "A no-hitter would've been nice, but it was a single hit and I try not to get worried about that kind of thing."

Bonilla was caught trying to steal second one batter later as Cingrani faced the minimum through seven innings.

In the eighth, Kalian Sams singled, but Jesus Sucre bounced into a double play. After Almonte tripled, Cingrani struck out Joe Dunigan on his 100th and final pitch.

The 15 strikeouts for Cingrani -- who employs a fastball, changeup and slider that he's continually working on -- eclipsed his previous high of 13, established over six hitless innings for Rookie-level Billings last Aug. 27. The eight innings were one better than his previous best, established for Class A Advanced Bakersfield on April 20.

What makes Wednesday's outing even more impressive is that it followed a 3 2/3-inning stint a week ago in which Cingrani allowed two runs on five hits and three walks while striking out three.

"I felt like I was rushing too much," he said of his last start. "My body was coming in way too fast and it affected my command -- I didn't know where anything was going. But I worked with [pitching coach Tom Brown], and that's something we really focused on in my bullpens and side sessions. "I feel like I've figured it out."

The 2011 third-round pick is 2-1 with a 2.15 ERA and 38 strikeouts in five starts with Pensacola after going 5-1 with a 1.11 ERA in 10 appearances with Bakersfield. He's recorded 109 strikeouts over 86 innings across both levels, ranking third in the Minor Leagues behind A's farmhand Daniel Straily (124) and D-backs top prospect Trevor Bauer (116).

With numbers like that, the Reds prospect has the confidence level to repeat Wednesday's performance -- the one he now believes was his best ever -- and, in fact, even improve upon it.

"[My confidence level is] always high," Cingrani said. "Obviously, after the last two starts, it's not extremely high, but it's back up there now. Today was just another day. I've got to go out there and do it all over again in four or five days.

"I definitely I feel like I can do this again. I can do even better."

- Plato

- Plato

Miller bounces back in Redbirds' win

Cardinals prospect fixes mechanical flaw, returns to form

By Ashley Marshall / Special to MLB.com

http://www.milb.com/images/2012/06/27/qLsE8q8J.jpg

Shelby Miller had allowed 32 runs over his previous six starts. (Allison Rhoades/MiLB.com)

The Memphis Redbirds skipped Shelby Miller's last turn in the rotation to give him time to regain his composure and work on some mechanical changes after a disappointing first half of the season.

Miller spent the time regrouping and analyzing his starts in the video room. After all, he had never done anything but win in his baseball career.

MLB.com's No. 2 prospect allowed one hit -- a solo homer -- over five innings Wednesday night as Memphis edged the Albuquerque Isotopes, 3-2.

"It was a huge eye-opener. I've never really struggled in any other league or faced this adversity," Miller said. "I got together with my pitching coach and he told me to put it behind me and to just try and have a good second half. "It helped with clearing my head of the first half and working on my mechanics -- looking at old film and working out what grips to use when and what leg kicks work best for me. I'm just trying to get it all together and making a solid effort to get my numbers where they should be."

Against Albuquerque, the Cardinals' top prospect was perfect the first time through the lineup, but Matt Angle homered to right field leading off the fourth to knot the game at 1-1.

Home runs have been Miller's Achilles' heel all year. Angle's blast was the 16th he's allowed in 15 Pacific Coast League contests. The 20-year-old right-hander has given up at least one longball in 11 starts, including one in each of his last seven.

"It could have been better. I had three great innings at first and then gave up the home run," said Miller, selected 19th overall in the 2009 Draft. "It was a bad pitch that I should not have thrown. It was a 3-1 fastball inside, and when you're in a hitter's count, you don't want to throw that. You just try to eliminate all of the bad stuff.

"That is how I have been beat all year -- it's been the home run, it's been the longball. I would walk a guy and give up a base hit to put two runners on base and then I would give up a homer and that would be three earned runs right there. I've not been going deep into games, and that's been a difference-maker."

In the fifth, Miller loaded the bases on a pair of walks and a hit batter, but he struck out Isotopes starter John Ely, retired Angle on a popup and fanned Alex Castellanos to end the threat and his night.

"I had a four-pitch walk, then I hit a guy going inside and then another walk out of the stretch," Miller said. "I wasn't in a groove throwing out of the stretch. I lost focus, I can't explain it. But I got the next three outs with the bases loaded and I felt really good."

The Texas native fanned eight, threw 50 of 87 pitches for strikes and lowerd his ERA to 5.70 without figuring in the decision. He remains 4-6 on the year and without a victory in seven starts since May 15.

"I had really good command of my fastball. That was the biggest thing for me," Miller said. "It was a righty lineup with seven right-handers, so I didn't throw my changeup much. There were only two lefties and I had only seen one of them three times, so there wasn't really situations to throw my changeup tonight. When the time was right, I threw it, but it was mainly curveball-fastball. I was able to throw my fastball down in the zone and I was hitting my spots with it."

After tossing six shutout innings against Colorado Springs six weeks ago, Miller's struggles intensified. He yielded at least three runs in each of his next six starts, including seven over 3 2/3 innings at Tucson on May 21 and seven more over 4 2/3 frames against New Orleans on June 16.

The difficulties are new to Miller, who fanned 140 over 104 1/3 innings with Class A Quad Cities in 2010 and combined to go 11-6 with a 2.77 ERA and 170 strikeouts over 139 2/3 frames a year ago.

Even in school, Miller cruised. He went 10-2 as a senior at Brownwood High School in Texas, throwing three straight no-hitters while making a name for himself as an All-State punter and All-District wide receiver.

"I've not been pitching that great this year," Miller admitted. "The biggest thing was throwing bad pitches in hitters' counts and leaving a cookie for them to hit. It's always been one bad pitch per game that makes my numbers look ugly. I just need to keep the ball down, hit my spots and work on my off-speed pitches when they need to be thrown."

Miller came to Spring Training, ready to compete for a spot in St. Louis' rotation. He posted an 8.31 ERA in two Grapefruit League starts, then lost his first two regular-season starts for Memphis. But he followed that with a stretch in which he was 4-0 with a 2.27 ERA in six outings.

"I wouldn't be too disappointed if I didn't get called up this year. We have a great staff in the big leagues right now, but I want to pitch so good that they have no choice but to call me up. But my focus is on pitching my best at Triple-A. There are not many [21-year-old] guys pitching at Triple-A, so I'm blessed."

Jess Todd (1-1) ended up getting the win Wednesday, despite allowing one run on two hits over two innings.

Mark Hamilton was 2-for-3 with an RBI double and a run scored and Eugenio Velez contributed two hits, including his 10th homer, for the Redbirds.

- Plato

- Plato

Maddox is a Cincy prospect and the H-Crew gets mention at the bottom

PIO notes: Maddox shifts his approach

Billings slugger focused on hitting to all fields in third season

By Greg Rachac / Special to MLB.com

http://www.milb.com/images/2012/06/28/ebSNvSIY.jpg

Robert Maddox has two homers in eight games for the Mustangs. (Paul Ruhter/Billings Gazette)

Robert Maddox had a fine 2011 campaign with the Billings Mustangs, hitting .282 while leading the team with 16 home runs and 51 RBIs. But an integral element of Maddox's approach was missing.

For the last couple of seasons, the book on the left-handed Maddox was that he was a dead-pull hitter. In turn, teams gave the power hitter the Barry Bonds treatment. By shifting to the right side of the diamond, defenses dared Maddox to hit the ball the other way.

Now in his third season with Rookie-level Billings, Maddox is starting to make opponents think twice about that type of alignment.

Maddox saw the shift significantly with the Mustangs last season, and he's seen it to a lesser degree already in the early part of 2012. It's a strategy big league teams used for years against Bonds, who rarely hit to the opposite field.

Because of his penchant for pulling the ball, Maddox says the defensive approach is "self-inflicted." But the difference now is that Maddox knows his best opportunity to advance through the Cincinnati Reds' farm system is to learn to hit to all fields -- even though it may cut into some of his power numbers.

"I know I can pull the ball very well, with power," Maddox says. "But this year I'm working on driving the ball to center field and left field a lot better.

"If going the other way with the ball will help my overall game, then losing a couple home runs won't bother me. It will increase my batting average overall, my on-base percentage, doubles, triples, runs scored ... the pros outweigh the cons. I'm not really concerned about home runs, because I know I have the power. I'm not worried about the numbers. As long as I become a better overall hitter, that's the most important thing."

Maddox, an 18th-round pick in 2010 out of Ohio University, flashed signs of improvement last week, going to the opposite field for a two-out RBI double in the first inning against Missoula. Maddox drove the ball to the deepest part of Dehler Park -- about 420-feet from home plate -- off the wall in the left-center-field gap.

He did the same thing two nights earlier. Leading off the fifth inning, Maddox doubled to the gap in left to break up Chris Pack's no-hit bid. It ignited the Mustangs' offense, which eventually delivered the winning run to beat Missoula in the 10th.

Finally, in the team's first road trip through Helena, Maddox hit an opposite-field home run -- one of his two homers in the game -- to ignite a 9-4 victory.

"In Rookie ball, you don't see shifts like they do in the big leagues with left-handed hitters, yet with Robert we've seen it a lot," said second-year Mustangs manager Pat Kelly. "It was pretty apparent to everybody what type of pull hitter he was, so that was a great sign to see, for him to be able to take the ball the other way."

Maddox is hitting .345 with two homers and eight RBIs in eight games for Billings and is slugging .655 and had an OPS of 1.067.

Kelly said Maddox's attitude "has been outstanding. I thought he really worked hard in extended [spring training]. But it's hard. He was a college player, and this is his third year of Rookie ball. He'd probably tell you this is not where he wants to be. But at the same time it's an opportunity to play and an opportunity to get better."

In brief

Ominous Owlz: The Orem Owlz fell to a surprising 1-8 after a 12-7 loss in Grand Junction before rebounding Wednesday with a 7-6 victory over the Rockies. Under longtime manager Tom Kotchman, Orem is a perennial playoff team and one of the most respected franchises in the league, having won three championships in the last seven seasons.

Oops! Helena outfielder Raul Mondesi Jr. made a huge gaffe in a 2-1 loss to Missoula on June 25. Mondesi hit what would have been a game-tying solo home run in the 10th inning, but he failed to touch home plate. The Osprey appealed, and Mondesi was called out to end the game. Mondesi is one of two sons of former Major Leaguer Raul Mondesi currently in the Pioneer League. Adalberto Mondesi is with Idaho Falls.

Four more years: The Arizona Diamondbacks reached an agreement with Missoula to extend their Player Development Contract last week. The deal will last through the 2016 season. Missoula is currently in its 14th season as an affiliate of the Diamondbacks

- Plato

- Plato

a local interest piece

Appy notes: Walker ready to 'wow'

E-Twins outfielder embracing the challenges of pro ball

By Bob Sutton / Special to MLB.com

http://www.milb.com/images/2012/06/27/HHxxlfag.jpg

Adam Walker was a third-round pick out of Jacksonville University. (Todd Drexler/JUPhotos.com)

Besides the typical changes from college ball to the pros faced by many players, Elizabethton's Adam Walker has the additional challenge of fitting into an outfield with a distinctly international flavor.

The Wisconsin native, who signed quickly after the Minnesota Twins made him a third-round choice out of Jacksonville University in June's Draft, said he was ready for whatever was in front of him when the Appalachian League season got under way last week.

"It wasn't too tough. I was ready to start my career in pro ball," Walker said of the decision to leave college after his junior year. "It's nice to get started and get the at-bats. It's nice to be able to sign and get out here."

So Walker will try to settle in and stand out at the same time. He's pegged primarily as a corner outfielder, looking the part with a 6-foot-4, 232-pound frame.

The Elizabethton outfield might be the definition of a baseball melting pot. There's Romy Jimenez from the Dominican Republic, Max Kepler from Germany and Rory Rhodes from Australia.

That might create some diverse outfield chatter during a pitching change.

"It's cool to meet people from different parts of the world," Walker said. "It's definitely interesting, learning where everyone was from, and it was 'wow.'"

It's the "wow" factor that Walker might eventually provide with his bat. He said consistency must be one of his priorities at the plate. He hit his first professional home run Tuesday in his seventh game.

"Just plate discipline and being more consistent out there," said Walker, who won't turn 21 until after the season. "It will help me get more consistent every day."

Walker said he was always one of the bigger players on youth teams growing up in Wisconsin. Then he arrived at college and filled out.

"Obviously, you look at him, he has the prototypical body [and] moves well," Elizabethton manager Ray Smith said. "I think his makeup is good. I know [the organization] thinks a lot of him."

Walker, who played in the 2011 NCAA Regionals, toyed with some time as a first baseman at Jacksonville, but he was primarily stationed in the outfield.

Now it's about refining his skills.

"I think I have what it takes -- just sharpen up everything," Walker said.

Elizabethton's players had plenty of bonding time as the Twins began the season with a six-game road trip. That should have provided time for players and staff to discover their teammates' backgrounds.

Smith said the Minnesota organization has been willing to tap the less traditional baseball areas in its scouting. In this case, Elizabethton is directly experiencing the impact of that.

"The game is so international now," Smith said. "It's almost become commonplace. [international players] haven't had the experience a lot of our guys have had, but they have the wide-eyed enthusiasm."

Rhodes, in his second go-around in the league, hasn't missed a beat, starting the season with five consecutive multi-hit outings. He batted a league-leading .485 (16-for-33) through the first eight games of the season.

In brief

Walk this way: Bluefield first baseman Art Charles drew a league-leading 11 walks over the first nine games. The 21-year-old California native, a 2011 Appy League All-Star, is 7-for-22 with five extra-base hits.

One at a time: Kansas City's 2011 fifth-round pick, Patrick Leonard, homered in his pro debut with the Burlington Royals. "I was thinking I wanted to get my first hit," Leonard said of the homer at Pulaski. "I hit it good, but I didn't know it was going to [clear the fence]. I was running hard to first base." The third baseman had a league-best four homers across the first six games, all solo shots.

On the mark: Princeton Rays left-hander Blake Snell notched 13 strikeouts over his first 8 2/3 innings and did not allow a run during that span. He went 3 2/3 innings in his second outing without yielding a hit or walk.

Right spot, right time: Greeneville Astros right-hander Jordan Jankowski has picked up a win in his first three appearances out of the bullpen. He's a first-year pro out of Division II Catawba College in North Carolina after transferring from Miami of Ohio.

- Plato

- Plato

Archived