Brewer Fanatic

Mark Rogers drawing scout interest?

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Nothing conclusive here, but I posted this in the Sunday Link Report and wanted to provide a landing spot for possible discussion.

Just going to include this as a for-what-it's-worth - no special tweet, just a Link Report bonus.

Actually, I'll copy this into a Transaction Rumor thread so if you want to discuss, please do so.

From a fan at the Nashville / Albuquerque game Sat. night -- said Mark Rogers was maxing out at 97.

Apparently there were an unusually high number of scouts on hand for this one (as many as 12-15 teams). The buzz around those scouts was that Rogers would be back in the big leagues soon.

My own thoughts because this could go in so many ways -- other than the fact that multiple scouts could have been there for any number of reasons, as after all, the Dodgers will likely move prospects as well.

Rogers, even with no options left for 2013, would still be a prized power arm for another GM to acquire should the Brewers go into a buyer's mode.

The Brewers have never shown an inkling that Rogers would best be served in a relief role, and given the current big league's staff problem with relief bases on balls, it doesn't seem like it's a wise time to finally transition Mark now.

If the Brewers go into seller's mode, there are going to be big league rotation openings, certainly even one departure could conceivably free up a spot for Rogers. With no 2013 minor league options remaining, Doug and Ron would want to know what they have in terms of Rogers 2013 by seeing what he could do later this season on the big league level -- and in some ways, August innings mean much more than September innings.

I guess the best thing to take out of this is that Mark looks to be back on track (has been trending that way for a few weeks now), and that there's value there in terms of trade value and keeper performance.

FYI, there was no update re: his departure last night (possible hand issue?), so until we read otherwise, consider that a non-issue.

Interesting, but how much trade value would Mark Rogers have? After the Youkilis deal is seems apparent that teams may not be able to get much due to the new rules pertaining to draft pick compensation, but even then, Rogers' history has to suppress his value, regardless of how hard he's throwing.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

It looks like Homer Bailey has turned himself into a viable long-term big league rotation member, and I've always thought that Rogers profiled very similarly. That's value.

One could also look at his injury past and also say that he may very well be past the "injury nexus" as well.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I wish they'd put him in relief. Get the guy to master two pitches and get consistent with them. If he could do that, it would be great.

He doesn't seem to have developed any consistency as a starter. He throws so many pitches, he's maxed out after 5 innings.

Perhaps I'm wrong on those counts. I'm just going to my looking at box scores. stats, and reading reports here and there.

The club seems to holding out hope he'll develop into a starter, but the numbers just aren't there. I'm wondering if letting him focus on a couple of pitches, and getting through 1 or 2 innings, you could make him a more effective player.

We certainly lack quality arms in the bullpen. If he could develop some modicum of consistency, he might become very valuable.

With the lack of pre-arby guys on the MLB team, it would certainly be nice if Rogers could help out. If we do go into "sell" mode, then it would make sense to bring Rogers up to see what he can do. I'd rather he "get his feet wet" in meaningless games this year than next. At this point, it would be amazing if we could see Rogers' name as a regular starting pitcher for the Milwaukee Brewers. It would be a minor miracle if we could get six years of starts out of him.

After the Youkilis deal is seems apparent that teams may not be able to get much due to the new rules pertaining to draft pick compensation

While the new rules may indeed suppress value, the Youkilis deal may not be a good proxy. Everyone knew that Youkilis was upset and the Sox had to trade him quickly and you never get full value in that situation.

However, to topic, if values of vets are so suppressed that a "so-so" prospect can bring a really good veteran "rental" player, then Rogers may be able to bring back a really good veteran "rental" player should we go that route.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
With the lack of pre-arby guys on the MLB team, it would certainly be nice if Rogers could help out. If we do go into "sell" mode, then it would make sense to bring Rogers up to see what he can do. I'd rather he "get his feet wet" in meaningless games this year than next. At this point, it would be amazing if we could see Rogers' name as a regular starting pitcher for the Milwaukee Brewers. It would be a minor miracle if we could get six years of starts out of him.

After the Youkilis deal is seems apparent that teams may not be able to get much due to the new rules pertaining to draft pick compensation

While the new rules may indeed suppress value, the Youkilis deal may not be a good proxy. Everyone knew that Youkilis was upset and the Sox had to trade him quickly and you never get full value in that situation.

However, to topic, if values of vets are so suppressed that a "so-so" prospect can bring a really good veteran "rental" player, then Rogers may be able to bring back a really good veteran "rental" player should we go that route.

Also, Youkilis is playing really poorly. That, more than anything, probably made him unattractive.

Archived