Brewer Fanatic

Link Report for Sun. 6/24

Maybe it's the fact that he's 24 yrs old, but I still feel like Burgos is flying under the radar a bit. He's put up some pretty good numbers since his promotion to Huntsville. 48.1 IP, 2.42 ERA, 49 SO, 19 walks.

I think people spent to much time talking prospects and forget about others that are actually doing better than Top prospect.

Well, the reason for that is because it's a lot more common for a top prospect who throws in the 90's with a couple good secondary pitches to actually have a successful big league career.

Not to mention that Burgo's hasn't been putting up big numbers until this year. It took him until age 22 to get out of rookie ball, was uninspiring against younger competition. Until this year.

And I think people have been talking about him....almost exactly when they should have started to. He finally at age 24 started to perform well with mediocre stuff in HiA, and now he's dominating AA. Fiers certainly didn't get a lot of respect and he performed well at virtually every.

It takes a while for guys with average stuff to get a good look, especially when they have average stuff and average results.

So it's fair time for him to get talked about, and there was little reason to focus on him coming into this season with the same amount of interest that Jungman, Bradley or probably 10 other pitchers deserved.

But, if he has something he's added, a cutter, if he has a deceptive delivery that allows his fastball to look deceptively fast like Fiers. Great. Maybe he'll be a guy who'll succeed throwing 88-90 MPH and thrive doing so. Obviously, we're all pulling for him to do just that.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Maybe it's the fact that he's 24 yrs old, but I still feel like Burgos is flying under the radar a bit. He's put up some pretty good numbers since his promotion to Huntsville. 48.1 IP, 2.42 ERA, 49 SO, 19 walks.

I think people spent to much time talking prospects and forget about others that are actually doing better than Top prospect.

Well, the reason for that is because it's a lot more common for a top prospect who throws in the 90's with a couple good secondary pitches to actually have a successful big league career.

Not to mention that Burgo's hasn't been putting up big numbers until this year. It took him until age 22 to get out of rookie ball, was uninspiring against younger competition. Until this year.

And I think people have been talking about him....almost exactly when they should have started to. He finally at age 24 started to perform well with mediocre stuff in HiA, and now he's dominating AA. Fiers certainly didn't get a lot of respect and he performed well at virtually every.

It takes a while for guys with average stuff to get a good look, especially when they have average stuff and average results.

So it's fair time for him to get talked about, and there was little reason to focus on him coming into this season with the same amount of interest that Jungman, Bradley or probably 10 other pitchers deserved.

But, if he has something he's added, a cutter, if he has a deceptive delivery that allows his fastball to look deceptively fast like Fiers. Great. Maybe he'll be a guy who'll succeed throwing 88-90 MPH and thrive doing so. Obviously, we're all pulling for him to do just that.

Burgos was drafted fairly high (6th round) out of a small school (Bethune-Cookman) so the organization must have liked him. I would guess his stuff has always been decent. But most of the focus on here is on the top couple rounds. He's not the only under the radar guy though. Sean Halton can't crack the top 50 and he's hit at every level moving up every year.

Brewers end four-game skid with win over Billings

By AMBER KUEHN Independent Record | Posted: Monday, June 25, 2012 12:05 am

Michael Garza wasn’t about to let another win slip away.

The Helena Brewers third baseman took the first pitch he saw in the seventh inning, a fastball delivered by Billings reliever Sean Lucas, and drilled it to the right-field wall for a two-run double. And just like that, the hosts were back in front after blowing a two-run lead, and back on the winning track after a four-game skid. The Brewers (2-5) came away with a 6-4 victory Sunday in front of a sparse crowd at Kindrick Legion Field, narrowly avoiding a three-game sweep by the Mustangs.

“It feels good,” Helena manager Jeff Isom said following his team’s first win since June 19. “I had my doubts after we gave up the three-run homer, but we fought back. It’s a pretty good feeling right now.”

Helena led 3-1 heading into the seventh, with a solo shot by Spencer Dickinson the only damage done so far by Billings (5-2). But an ominous start to the inning — Elliot Glynn hit a batter and then walked Robert Ramirez — gave way to a go-ahead, three-run bomb by the Mustangs’ No. 9 hitter, Brandon Dailey.

The Brewers answered quickly in the home half of the seventh. Yonki Hernandez struck his second single of the game, then stole second — Helena’s fourth stolen base Sunday — and went to third on a wild pitch. Chris McFarland’s infield hit brought Hernandez home to knot the score at 5-all.

Mustangs reliever Jim Moran was pulled after hitting Michael Reed, and Lucas just couldn’t get around Garza’s big bat.

“He did a great job of looking for something he could handle, and that happened to be the first pitch he saw,” Isom said of Garza, who is batting .367.

Aggressive base running paid off for the Brewers, and their win was again highlighted by defense. Mike Nemeth threw out Jesse Winker at home plate in the third, Brewers catcher Mike Turay threw out two Mustangs trying to steal second and Raul Mondesi Jr. backhanded a ball in right field to end the seventh.

“Defense did a nice job even though we did commit two errors,” Isom said. “I’m extremely happy with our catchers — they’ve been doing an outstanding job shutting down the running game.

Helena right-hander Mike Schaub had a quality start on the bump, giving up just four hits and the home run through six innings of work. It wasn’t enough to get the decision, with Glynn getting his first win as a Brewer following the blown save. Connor Whalen was perfect in the final two innings for his second save this season.

Schaub, who entered with a 9.00 ERA, said he felt a bit more comfortable in his second start. The 6-foot-2, 217-pounder from Anaheim, Calif., said he had difficult adjusting to the altitude in his last outing.

“It felt good,” he said. “Pretty much my fastball was working all over the plate, my changeup was good, and I mixed in a curveball towards the end.”

Schaub’s counterpart, Billings starter Robert Stephenson, fanned four through four innings but gave up three runs — including his first earned run of the season. Still, the 2011 first-round draft pick by the Cincinnati Reds looked solid, keeping Brewers batters off balance by mixing his pitches well. Moran was hung with the loss.

Isom hopes his squad has turned the corner after the win, which snapped Billings’ five-game win streak. As is customary after a victory, tunes were playing in the Brewers clubhouse after the game and spirits were high, music to the manager’s ears.

Schaub believes it’s a sign of good things to come.

“Our team’s just been working hard; even though we lost a couple we keep grinding,” he said. “Hopefully we can get on a roll now. You get one, then you get two … every winning streak has to start with the first one.”

Helena will open a two-game set against Missoula today. First pitch is slated for 7:05 p.m. at Kindrick, with Brewers right-hander Eric Semmelhack (0-1, 3.00) getting the nod.

NOTES: Mustangs infielder Robert Maddox entered the game batting .500, with six hits alone in the series with Helena. But Brewers’ pitchers shut him down Sunday, as Billings’ designated hitter went 0 for 4. … McFarland and Hernandez were the offensive leaders for Helena on Sunday. Both had singles and both scored two runs, while McFarland added a pair of RBIs and Hernandez had two stolen bases.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Final: DSL Brewers 5, DSL Angels 2

Box Score

One thing the Brewers have done right in the Dominican the past couple of years is identify their 'horse" pitchers, placing them in the starting rotation, and then riding them all summer long. Yes it's early, but take a look at those pitchers with games started in the YTD stats.

In this one, it was 3rd year RHP Eduard Reyes mowing them down, he'll be 22 in August, so older than most. 19-year-old 2nd year RHP Angel Ventura had his strongest outing of the young season to notch the three-inning save. The two hurlers combined for a 14-to-2 GB ratio.

Three Brewer errors (IF, OF, C) were partially offset by three DP's. The Cerveceritos were 4-for-6 on the basepaths, opponents were 3-for-3.

Game Log

All seven good guy base knocks were singles, but were well-bunched to grab a 5-0 lead through five innings:

DSL Brewers Top of the 3rd

Carlos Pena singles on a line drive to center fielder Angel Montilla.

With Yunior De La Cruz batting, wild pitch by Alfonso Alcantara, Carlos Pena to 2nd.

Yunior De La Cruz grounds out, second baseman Ismael Dionicio to first baseman Gabriel Villavicencio. Carlos Pena to 3rd.

Alejandro Mendoza singles on a ground ball to left fielder Ayendy Perez. Carlos Pena scores.

With Francisco Castillo batting, Alejandro Mendoza steals (2) 2nd base.

With Francisco Castillo batting, Alejandro Mendoza steals (3) 3rd base.

Francisco Castillo strikes out swinging.

Raphachel Colatosti singles on a line drive to left fielder Ayendy Perez. Alejandro Mendoza scores.

With Carlos Belonis batting, Raphachel Colatosti steals (6) 2nd base.

Carlos Belonis walks.

Elvis Rubio grounds into a force out, fielded by third baseman Jose Herrera. Raphachel Colatosti out at 3rd.

DSL Brewers Top of the 5th

Yunior De La Cruz singles on a line drive to center fielder Angel Montilla.

Alejandro Mendoza singles on a ground ball to left fielder Ayendy Perez. Yunior De La Cruz to 2nd.

Francisco Castillo grounds into a force out, third baseman Jose Herrera to second baseman Ismael Dionicio. Yunior De La Cruz to 3rd. Alejandro Mendoza out at 2nd. Francisco Castillo to 1st.

With Raphachel Colatosti batting, Francisco Castillo steals (14) 2nd base.

Raphachel Colatosti walks.

Pitcher Change: Eduardo Paredes replaces Alfonso Alcantara.

Carlos Belonis reaches on fielding error by third baseman Jose Herrera. Yunior De La Cruz scores. Francisco Castillo to 3rd. Raphachel Colatosti to 2nd.

Elvis Rubio walks. Francisco Castillo scores. Raphachel Colatosti to 3rd. Carlos Belonis to 2nd.

Juan Ortiz flies out to left fielder Ayendy Perez.

Jose Dicent hit by pitch. Raphachel Colatosti scores. Carlos Belonis to 3rd. Elvis Rubio to 2nd.

Carlos Pena strikes out swinging.

Brewer Fanatic Staff
I'll get the Monday Link Report up in time, but at noon today, you've got a sweet Huntsville matinee with Alex Cohen on the call -- Jimmy Nelson vs. the Mariners' Tajuan Walker, hoping several of you will be able to tune in.

Archived