Brewer Fanatic

Crew signs Livan Hernandez

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is really random if it's true. Not sure why we would even need him in the rotation either, unless Marcum is out for a long time or Estrada is heading back to the pen. I'd rather just leave Fiers or Thornburg, or both, in the rotation. Doesn't make any sense.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

The Braves used Livan as a long man earlier this year, so he could be coming in as a long man, too. Either way, this doesn't exactly speak well of what's going on with Marcum's elbow.
"When a piano falls on Yadier Molina get back to me, four letter." - Me, upon reading a ESPN update referencing the 'injury-plagued Cardinals'

For anyone wondering, Livan last pitched 6/10 for the Braves.

Atlanta DFA'd him 6/15.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/team/transactions/_/name/atl/atlanta-braves

From my understanding, either his release hasn't hit the waiver wire, or we're looking at a trade (since he's still within the 10-day window after the DFA). Even if it is a trade, I doubt they gave up anyone of note for a "37"-year old reliever.

For a change of scenery / lightning in a bottle -type pickup, I wouldn't have a problem with it. More concerned about what this means for Marcum / Estrada returning to the rotation.

Yeah, even if he's coming in as a long-man, it's gotta mean Marcum is out for an extended period of time. They seemed set to go with Fiers in that role. Maybe it means Fiers is sticking in the rotation, and Hernandez is long-man. Vice-versa wouldn't make sense, they'd just go with Thornburg if that was the case. They'd probably rather have Hernandez in the pen, and Thornburg starting in AAA, which actually would make sense.

If true, a likely scenario I see is that maybe the Brewers let him know if he pitches well as a long man and Fiers or Estrada struggle, he can compete for a rotation spot. It became apparent he wasn't going to get that opportunity with Atlanta.
"When a piano falls on Yadier Molina get back to me, four letter." - Me, upon reading a ESPN update referencing the 'injury-plagued Cardinals'

If true, a likely scenario I see is that maybe the Brewers let him know if he pitches well as a long man and Fiers or Estrada struggle, he can compete for a rotation spot. It became apparent he wasn't going to get that opportunity with Atlanta.

That seems plausible. Him being thrown right into the rotation seems highly unlikely. Maybe Hall heard him wrong on that part.

Hall did pitch vs. Kansas City a few years ago, so yes, we can add pitcher, too! Bill's giving OCNN a run for its money today!

I used to love the old threads a few years back (when all I did was read here) about how Bill Hall could fly to the moon without a spaceship and cure AIDS and figure out the meaning of life etc....

we can now add "intrepid reporter" to his credentials

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

From 2010-2011 he put up an ERA of just under 4 in ~400 IP (62 starts), with peripherals that backed it up. He's only pitched 31 innings this year in relief and it hasn't been too bad. Good insurance for the 5-hole if Marcum ends up staying out for a while.

Edit: Maybe leave Fiers in the rotation for Estrada, put Hernandez in for Macrum and send Estrada to the pen? I should probably mention that my obsession with aging pitchers who throw <84MPH fastballs might be clouding my vision.

This could mean any number of things:

1. We're going for it!! Livan is being brought in because we've seen what he can do in the post season and what Marcum and Grienke do in the post season.

2. We received a great offer for Grienke (unlikely)

3. Marcum is going to spend a long time on the DL

4. The Reds were looking at him and we saw what we did against him last year (11 hits in 13+ innings)

5. With Elton John's Billy Elliot opening in Milwaukee, they thought it'd be good to make "Levon" someone's entrance music

Formerly Andersoc420

Hopefully if true, Livian will fill the 'Dave Burba' role. This way, there is a guy who might be able to step in for an emergency start or two and can actually pitch more than two innings out of the pen. Personally, I'm tired of hearing the 'taxed bullpen' excuse, and there is absolutely no reason for Perez to be on the team.

Haudricourt says Veras has a groin strain. By my count until somebody is DL'd they now have 14 active pitchers. Somebody is going to have to be taken off the 40 man. Ransom? Maysonet? Dillard? Perez? Izturis is supposed to be returning too and so is Ishikawa. I would presume Ishikawa coming back means Green gets optioned.

Any number of ways they can go here. Estrada is scheduled to start Tuesday also.

What is the point of Izturis anymore? Ransom looks like Cal Ripken at the plate compared to him.... and that's scary, because he's hitting like a buck-sixty himself. I'm sure that Green will go down with Ishikawa coming back. As I said above, there is really no need for Perez whatsoever.

Isn't there already one open spot that hasn't been filled as of yet (Thornburg's spot)?

What is the point of Izturis anymore? Ransom looks like Cal Ripken at the plate compared to him.... and that's scary, because he's hitting like a buck-sixty himself. I'm sure that Green will go down with Ishikawa coming back. As I said above, there is really no need for Perez whatsoever.

Isn't there already one open spot that hasn't been filled as of yet (Thornburg's spot)?

I believe they are filling Thornburg's spot with Estrada, aren't they? I think they like Izturis more than Maysonnet. Pretty much a toss-up there to me.

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Archived