Brewer Fanatic

How reliable is DirectTV?

mtrebs
I just upgraded my second TV to a nice new LED TV. The old TV was hooked up to a Genie mini client via RCA. I had to reconfigure the settings on that, which was a pain, and I switched to HDMI. Now, whenever I change the channel, the connection between the mini client and the TV gets lost, and only comes back when I power off then power on the client. I'm trying to troubleshoot without having someone come out, but it's not easy.

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I feel I need to be fair to DirecTV here. I've been their loudest critic on this thread, and I think they've all been fair complaints. Well anyway my reception went out yet again today. I've pretty much been ignoring the outages lately because I'm resigned to the fact that they won't fix it unless I pay them $50.

Anyway I decided to call today because I had another question for them anyway. I don't know how it happened but somehow I was immediately connected to the Customer Retention Department. Before I even got to the reason I called the lady told me I qualified as some sort of long term customer or whatever they called it and I was eligible for $35 dollar off my monthly bill for the next year and $15 off for 3 months after that. I asked her what I had to do and she said nothing. I didn't have to resign my contract or anything. Then when I told her that my reception was out again and that I've always been told I had to pay a $50 service charge for them to come and adjust my dish she said "No I can do that for free". I was floored. I've been told over and over and over again that I had to pay them to fix what I considered their mistake (since I've never even touched my dish) and here she says without me having to debate that they'll fix it for free. She also said that if/when I move they'll move all of my equipment for free.

My entire perception of DirecTV changed today, though I am still a little annoyed it took this long to get someone to agree to readjust my dish for free.

And for the record, I also asked about Fox Sports 1. She didn't have any details but made it sound like they were negotiating to get it and she believes it will be included on the standard sports package. Certainly not a definitive answer but it's nice to know that they are trying to get it right away.

Anyway I decided to call today because I had another question for them anyway. I don't know how it happened but somehow I was immediately connected to the Customer Retention Department. Before I even got to the reason I called the lady told me I qualified as some sort of long term customer or whatever they called it and I was eligible for $35 dollar off my monthly bill for the next year and $15 off for 3 months after that. I asked her what I had to do and she said nothing. I didn't have to resign my contract or anything. Then when I told her that my reception was out again and that I've always been told I had to pay a $50 service charge for them to come and adjust my dish she said "No I can do that for free". I was floored. I've been told over and over and over again that I had to pay them to fix what I considered their mistake (since I've never even touched my dish) and here she says without me having to debate that they'll fix it for free. She also said that if/when I move they'll move all of my equipment for free.

My entire perception of DirecTV changed today, though I am still a little annoyed it took this long to get someone to agree to readjust my dish for free.

And for the record, I also asked about Fox Sports 1. She didn't have any details but made it sound like they were negotiating to get it and she believes it will be included on the standard sports package. Certainly not a definitive answer but it's nice to know that they are trying to get it right away.

Most people working in call centers get completely different training and some of them just don't care and want to get you off the phone as quick as possible to increase their numbers. It really does depend on who you get on the other end when it comes to customer service over the phone. Most of the time you will get someone who just doesn't really care and I don't really blame them as the majority of their calls can be categorized under the verbal abuse and you are going to take it calls. After awhile a person is just going to give up and not care any more. Then there are a few people in the call center that if you get lucky enough you will actually get good service from them because they are either new to the job and have gotten the most recent training or have been there for a long time and have gotten used to the verbal abuse.

Other times you are in between a transition at the call center a portion of the employees are told to do this when x comes up while other portions of the employees are not told this as their training hasn't been scheduled yet. Yes I know it is frustrating but unfortunately this is how call centers are ran for the most part.

Most people working in call centers get completely different training and some of them just don't care and want to get you off the phone as quick as possible to increase their numbers. It really does depend on who you get on the other end when it comes to customer service over the phone. Most of the time you will get someone who just doesn't really care and I don't really blame them as the majority of their calls can be categorized under the verbal abuse and you are going to take it calls. After awhile a person is just going to give up and not care any more. Then there are a few people in the call center that if you get lucky enough you will actually get good service from them because they are either new to the job and have gotten the most recent training or have been there for a long time and have gotten used to the verbal abuse.

This is a good summary.

Additionally, Paul, I'd venture a confident guess that someone who is working in customer retention would've been promoted to that position after proving her/himself at more entry-level positions. So not only are you getting someone more competent & experienced... that person probably has more freedom and/or power to comp certain things & provide you more discounts/avenues to pursue. There's also a decent chance that a person like that would be a manager- or supervisor-in-training, if he/she isn't already in that kind of role.

Long story short, if you ever don't get what you want from a call center employee, be polite & understand if that person can't give you what you want. But always ask to speak to someone who can give you what you want. Turn the language they use around & back at them -- ask for someone who would be a decision-maker on a certain topic/issue.

And for future reference, when you get an associate like the one you reached today, ask if he/she will give you his/her direct extension to assist you in the future. You know that person can get things done for you, so hopefully you won't have to waste your time & energy going forward.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

And for future reference, when you get an associate like the one you reached today, ask if he/she will give you his/her direct extension to assist you in the future. You know that person can get things done for you, so hopefully you won't have to waste your time & energy going forward.

Sorry TLB....... but, "Ugh".

I work in a call center, and for my first 3 years there, I was a DSL/business data repair advisor. (Now I'm in Trouble Resolution, MUCH better. :D ) Under NO circumstances would I give out my direct extension. Those people who you give your direct extension or e-mail address immediately think you are their personal help desk, and that's just not the case.

I gave out my email on a few occasions, and I quickly found out that these people that asked for my extension would email 2-3-4-5 times a month (or more) with silly, trivia questions, and stuff that was just not my company's support issue. They didn't care that a blue monitor, or their printer not working, or something like that is not their Telecom's fault. They got "Great Service!" from me/you/their 'personal advisor' once, and now they're going to expect it all the time, and immediately. Not only do these people e-mail often, they expect immediate response. They don't care that you're taking call after call all day long, and metrics in a call center hold outbound calls against you. They got "great service!" from you once, and now they won't leave you alone.

Now, as a part time supervisor, and a customer liaison for our Platinum and Mega-Customers, I do occasionally give out my number for a customer who's looking for frequent follow ups on a major trouble, but when I do, I make sure that the customer is aware that my direct line is "this time only", and if/when they have another trouble in the future, to call the regular help desk.

Don't mess with a person's metrics in a call center by asking for a personal extension. The metrics in a call center are brutally strict, and believe me when I say they hold that over your head. And I know from talking to folks who have worked for Charter, Time Warner, AT & T, etc, etc, that it's that way across the board.

I work on phones sales too, and all I meant was that it doesn't hurt to ask. If I knew giving out my direct line would save an account, I would probably do it. Sounds like I don't have such a strict set of guidelines, though
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I worked in a Call Center for a major company in the financial industry a few years back. We were actually pretty efficient, and were sure never to give out inside lines. Then the company thought it would be a good idea to share our IM software with all major clients, so they could reach out to us without waiting on a phone. You think an email needs an immediate response? Try an instant message! Ugh, what a mess. Then they offshored the majority of support to Asia, which meant customers contacted us for all problems, regardless of domain. They weren't going to speak to "those idiots" when they had direct access to us. Was quite happy when that contract expired and I moved on!

Archived