Brewer Fanatic

Axford vs K-Rod

Bombers
With Axford's recent struggles I want K-rod moved into the closers role. Mostly for two reasons, 1 - I beleive Axford just needs a break. He is still a good pitcher, but he is just struggling. 2 - Lets try and maximize K-Rod's value before the end of July. If we move him into the closer's role and he doesn't blow a save for a month+, you would hope we could find a team to overpay. What do you think, should we move K-Rod into the closers spot?

Community Moderator

I think they should just leave them. What's the point of switching? Does it really matter if they blow the lead in the 8th or the 9th?

As for increasing trade value, everyone knows that K-Rod can close so I don't think that makes a difference either. I also do not like the idea of giving Axford a demotion yet. His wife just had a baby so maybe he is distracted.

Having K-Rod close for a month isn't going to do anything but possibly hurt his trade value if he blows a few games. Teams know he can close. He holds the single season save record for crying out loud. Right now the bullpen stinks from top to bottom, it won't matter who's closing.

I would just leave them. It's been a bullpen problem, not just an Axford problem. I guess you can flip Axford and K-Rod if you want, but I don't know that it's going to accomplish anything.

I was listening to sports talk radio today (yeah, I know, I shouldn't do that) and half of the callers were saying this. They were also saying RRR shouldn't have pitched Axford last night even though he voluntarily showed up to work.

It's a complete bullpen issue, just not one guy. If Ax were the only guy who was struggling, maybe it might make sense to pick some low leverage spots with him while working with him on the side and let K-Rod close. Since most of the bullpen is struggling and K-Rod has been one of the better relievers, by putting him in a position where he only pitches in the 9th inning with a lead (or tied at home), that actually puts the team at a bigger disadvantage. If Axford struggles in the 8th inning, there is no save opportunity for K-Rod anyway. The main agenda item should be to get him back on track, unless he feels he can't do that as the closer, keep him where he is.

"When a piano falls on Yadier Molina get back to me, four letter." - Me, upon reading a ESPN update referencing the 'injury-plagued Cardinals'

• 4 weeks later...

At the moment, nothing is sacred and the Brewers must do anything they can to win ballgames. Trusting Axford in the 9th is killing them right now.

Tonight's game is glaring proof of all these points.

Gotta go with K-Rod now. Just simply because Axford has been so bad and he's next in line, and not really anything else. Might as well see what he can do back in the closer role. Whether they trade him or not, if he does well it doesn't hurt. He'd either drive up his trade value or he'd become a nice option as closer for next year if they wanna keep him. If he does bad, well then it's not much change. I don't see how he could possibly not be a better option than Axford at this point.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

Roenicke: "He's your closer, you always stick with your closer until it's tied or he gives up the lead."

You do? Guess I missed that bit of unwritten baseball logic. :rolleyes

Augustine: "The good thing is the Brewers have two guys that can close."

We don't even have one that can close, Jerry.

RR just said that his closer stays in the game until it is tied, or we lose the lead by one run...

If that is his philosophy, I want him gone, yesterday. The guy is not fit to run this team with comments like this.

Maybe that can be your philosophy early in the season, but once your closer proves to you time and time again that he can't get the job done, it's time for a change in thought...

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Roenicke: "He's your closer, you always stick with your closer until it's tied or he gives up the lead."

You do? Guess I missed that bit of unwritten baseball logic. :rolleyes

Augustine: "The good thing is the Brewers have two guys that can close."

We don't even have one that can close, Jerry.

He honestly said this? Wow. That is absolutely ridiculous. I don't even have words for how poor that logic is.

Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

Just another flawed philosophy by our leader...

How can anyone back this clown?

Between him and our pathetic bullpen, I just can't see how anything will change this year.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Jim Henderson- 43 innings, 11 saves, 1.88 ERA, 35 hits, only 19 BB's, and 47 strikeouts.

Guy is 29 years old, give him a chance!

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

only 19 BB's

"Only" 19 walks in 43 innings is almost 4 per 9, which isn't very good. Especially for a 29 year old in AAA.

Well, our 29 year old in MLB has 21 walks in 37 innings. Not that I'm disagreeing with the point.

Archived