Brewer Fanatic

Thornburg- First impressions

FVBrewerFan

Curious to know what you all think of "Thorny" after one outing. First, I thought the Blue Jays were a tough match-up for a guy's first MLB start, but that's the way it goes. Gut reacton is to say he looked great through 5, then ran out of gas. If that is true, it's troubling that he ran out of gas at 75 pitches, since he's fully stretched out.

But the thing is, I don't think he looked that great even in the first 5 innings. His change seemed to just spin up there, didn't fall off the cliff or anything like a good change-up should. Similar story with his curve. Everything I read about him said he has two curves, a "get-me-over" and a hard breaking curve. Saw the first version enough, and honestly didn't look that different than his change. Just sorta spins up there without much break. Don't remember seeing a dominating breaking curve much, I remember one for a swinging strike 3.

Fastball I'm confused about. Not sure if he has more than one? Becuase at times, it seemed to move to the right. But most of the time it was very flat. And the velocity dropped off after 75 pitches, which again is a little puzzling.

As always, don't want to read into the numbers at all after just one start, trying to focus on his "stuff" instead. I do like the way he battled. DP after he gave up a hit to the first MLB batter he ever faced. 1-2-3 inning after the Brewers put 4 on the board. Got the final out right after Lawrie's HR. I do like to see things like that. I guess for someone who a lot of people project as our #1 prospect, I wasn't overly impressed with his stuff.

His curveball looked fine and while his changeup didn't look like it had a lot of movement, the change of speed was effective. The thing that concerned me the most was his lack of control. Like Bill said after giving up those 3 homeruns he was able to keep the ball down early in the game but not in the end. Even before that he was erratic with his curve and changeup and the fastball control wasn't great either. Control is usually the last thing a pitcher figures out so I think he should be fine in a season or two.

According to brewers.com his innings have been limited all year and he was indeed gassed in the sixth.

"Thornburg, who had not pitched in 10 days because of a suspension for brawling and a decision by Brewers officials to control his innings before a promotion to Triple-A, admitted he was getting tired in the sixth."

http://milwaukee.brewers.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120619&content_id=33565802&notebook_id=33566132&vkey=notebook_mil&c_id=mil

I would also add control wasn't the issue on the Rasmus HR. It's where the Brewers have been trying to pitch him all series. The pitch was up and in, same location as his 2nd HR last night.

Not ready to panic or anything, was just hoping to see nastier stuff from the guy who is supposed to be our #1 prospect.

I would also add control wasn't the issue on the Rasmus HR. It's where the Brewers have been trying to pitch him all series. The pitch was up and in, same location as his 2nd HR last night.

Not ready to panic or anything, was just hoping to see nastier stuff from the guy who is supposed to be our #1 prospect.

Ya, that Rasmus homerun was ridiculous. That pitch is hit for a homerun probably .1% of the time.

I thought he looked real good for the most part. A lot of potential. Loved the way he would throw high 80's/low 90's fastballs, mix it up with slow curves and a good changeup and then be able to hit the inside corner of the plate with a 95 MPH heater. He just ran out of gas in the 6th, he'll build up his endurance more and will likely be a very effective MLB pitcher.
The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

I see him the same as I did prior to the start. A young player with potential to be very good. He just needs time to polish his overall game. That is why I hope he spends at least a season's worth of time in AAA. No need to rush him.
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

I thought his stuff looked good, particularly fastball changeup. I know his fastball was grading out pretty high, especially early in the game. His location looks like a work in progress, too many wasted pitches. And unfortunately our biggest fear, velocity after 75 pitches, but I'm not sure about that because those home runs came on 92/93. I'm excited about him, but I think he still has to prove he can go 6 innings and locate his breaking stuff.
I tried to log in on my iPad. Turns out it was an etch-a-sketch and I don't own an iPad. Also, I'm out of vodka.

He had good composure. He pitched up, a lot, which was a bit concerning. Might have been nerves, might have been the planned location. If nothing else, I was impressed by how he handled himself mentally, he never really appeared distressed or like the situation was too big for him. That's a good sign going forward.
"When a piano falls on Yadier Molina get back to me, four letter." - Me, upon reading a ESPN update referencing the 'injury-plagued Cardinals'

Was it really his first start in 10 days? If that's the case, I think it's safe to say we didn't see his best stuff and he was nervous and rusty. I thought overall he looked alright. I just hope it's not a one start and then sent to the minors kind of thing.

With the way things look like they may turn out for the rotation next season (losing Greinke and Marcum and possibly Wolf) I think the Brewers would be wise to let Thornburg stick in the rotation to get his feet wet and move Estrada to the bullpen. Thornburg is a long term solution to the rotation. Estrada is not. So long as Thornburg is having a fair amount of success I'd much rather see him in the rotation than Estrada.

How is Estrada not a long term part of the rotation?

Because he's replaceable talent? Why would you sign him to a FA contract? He has 3 years of team control left.

If the Brewer rotation has Narveson, Fiers, and Estrada it in then we simply won't be very good. All 3 of those are guys are fine 4/5s but are pitchers you are looking to push to the bullpen, not build around.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Archived