Brewer Fanatic

Brooks Conrad DFA'd [Reply #26: Rays join in, DFA him too]

Funketown

I'm sure Brooks Conrad is a fine fellow, but I don't think anyone is heartbroken to see him go. I never thought anyone would ever come close to Enrique Cruz and his .085 in 2003, but sure enough, Brooks Conrad was just the man to do it!

I'm ever so insignificantly and almost undetectably proud that I was at the game in which he hit his first home run as a Brewer. A moment I will almost certainly forget.

That took a while.

Conrad has the lowest batting average of all time for Brewers with 40+ PA's, not including pitchers. Including pitchers, he's 5th, just behind Ben Sheets.

This brought to mind the great amusement I got out of seeing Ben Sheets attempt to run to first base on those occasions when he put the ball in play.

I'm going to miss doing spit takes hearing his name mentioned as the "heir apparent" at 2B. The local sports talk guy in Wausau literally said this in the dumbest segment I have heard in sports talk history.

just watch, he'll get claimed by somebody and go on and hit .280 for them with a 5-10 dingers.

Probably St. Louis.

Drat.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

I'm going to miss doing spit takes hearing his name mentioned as the "heir apparent" at 2B. The local sports talk guy in Wausau literally said this in the dumbest segment I have heard in sports talk history.

Someone said that this year? I was originally thinking that "dumbest segment I have heard in sports talk history" is a pretty strong statement, but you may have a point.

Anyway. Thanks for trying, Brooks.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

I'm ever so insignificantly and almost undetectably proud that I was at the game in which he hit his first home run as a Brewer. A moment I will almost certainly forget.

Nicely done, all the way around. The last line is pure gold.

Did prety well tonight too:

Brooks Conrad - 1B - Rays Brooks Conrad drove in four runs with a pair of doubles as the Rays beat the Phillies 7-3 on Sunday to complete a doubleheader sweep.

It was Conrad's first multihit game since July 31. The Rays won tonight despite limiting themselves to relievers in the contest. Cesar Ramos started and pitched 2 2/3 scoreless innings. Wade Davis was the only pitcher to struggle, and after he left, Brandon Gomes and J.P. Howell combined to throw 3 2/3 scoreless innings.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Probably just shows that 40 ABs received in a sporadic fashion over an extended period really have a wide variance and shouldn't really be used to determine if a player is Hall of Fame caliber or should be booted from the league. Conrad is better than he showed during his time as a Brewer. I'm not too worried that he's gone, but I won't be surprised if he does a good job elsewhere.

This is in the same ballpark as Gamel only getting sporadic PAs a few years back and Green only getting sporadic PAs now.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

• 1 month later...

Archived