Brewer Fanatic

Marcum has right elbow tightness; to 15-day DL, retroactive to 6/15

markedman5
  • Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As Patrick said, they could DFA Perez too. Who really cares? I am excited, yet nervous. It's like you finally can afford that shiny new sports car, and once you get it you're afraid it might get damaged.

We look back on the history of all these top pitching prospects, and I can't help but be just as worried as I am excited.

Ugh. I'm excited for Thornburg to show what he can do, but at what expense? I sure hope Marcum isn't down for a long time. Any glimmer of hope the Brewers have of doing ANYTHING in 2012 is having excellent performances from all pitchers.....and so far, that hasn't really happened, has it.

I really hope Marcum isn't out more than a start as I think he'd be a valuable trade chip. Last year, Edwin Jackson was traded for Rasmus and Marcum is at least the pitcher that Jackson is. If he's out for a long time, we probably can't afford to offer him Arby and would just lose him for nothing.

I realize that this is putting the cart way ahead of the horse, but if Marcum's injury is significant, does this make resigning Greinke an even higher priority?

No....not really. Not IMO. What it does mean is we lose the picks just like we did with Sheets as I suspect that Marcum at his age and coming off the seaons he's had the last 3 years(if this isn't serious and he only missing 2-3 starts and pitches well the rest of the wawy) that he'd turn down the 12-13 million for one year and take that 4 year 50 million dollar deal. Hell, even 4 year 40 million dollar would be worth it with his injury history.

Anyway, pitchers with good stuff who go around the league the first time can put up some eye popping numbers. It's far more common that they do not obviously, but take a guy like Vince Worley. People hadn't seen him.

I'd said if we could get a 1992 Cal Eldred type performance, that could be our saving grace. Obviously a toned down type performance as nobody is going 11-2 with a 1.79 ERA and 11-1 with a 1.49 ERA in his first 13 starts, but they(I throw Fiers into the mix and I think he should remain the start as he's just performed so well and I don't think it's been smoke and mirrors.

People have given up on this team far too early IMO. Yes, we lost Gamel. But Aoki has really helped make up for that. Weeks is starting to turn it around, Aram is CLEARLY getting hot and playing much better. Our offense IS starting to come around, and we've still got Lucroy coming back.

And finally, I believe that our 7th/8th and 9th inning guys are going to pitch closer to how they threw last year.

These teams that start off slowly and get hot and make a run like several teams have in past years have had X-factors. Thornburg COULD be that guy, Fiers could help be that guy. This might just inject some life into the team. If we can get a 6 IP 2 ER 8 K type game out of him where he's got his command down...that could be a huge boost.

And now you're talking about just adding one player. Hell, you JUST add Marco Scutaro and you strike early as Melvin is known to do, get Lucroy back and this team looks a whole lot better, and one week can take us from out of the race, to right back in it.

Of course, TT could just as easily come up and go 3.1 IP and get hit hard..but most my argument would stand. Fiers has been extremely impressive and Estrada makes our pen look a lot better.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Hashtag on twitter. Click the hashtag and you get the word that comes after the hashtag and you can see all the tweets that used that hashtag.

Thank you

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

the fact that he didn't go on the dl today probably means he is a day to day but there has been no new news.

Well, he didn't necessarily need to go on the DL with Conrad being DFA'd. Two more moves will be made this weekend when Izturis and Ishikawa return, and Marcum's DL stint could be backdated. I guess we'll see if Roenicke says anything today.

Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

Has anyone heard anything further on Marcum's injury? I figured we would've heard something by now.

I haven't seen anything. I'm guessing there might be something in the pre-game jsonline blog (if they do one today, that is) around 6 PM.

Is it common protocol to be examined by a surgeon for injuries like this? I would figure he would just get an eval by the team doc and then be referred to the surgeon if he felt its something more serious

Wait, who said he was getting examined by a surgeon? I hadn't heard that. All I heard was that he was getting examined by the team doctor, William Raasch.

Not any more than it would have been otherwise.

The Brewers would be fools to not have Marcum see Raasch. I've heard a lot of people bash how the Brewers go about their treating of their injured players(which I've always objected to as we hear about 1 pct of the story, yet feel compelled to take the Brewers to task for this prospects delayed surgery after another option didn't work, or this players injury..etc..etc..etc..). Always found it foolish.

And it'd be nice to give the Brewers the best chance to win. Melvin was just talking about how you can "easily," go from AA to AAA just a few weeks ago

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

How the front office should handle any pitching injury:

"Shaun, it looks like there is some strictly positive probability that we will need to go ahead with Tommy John Surgery. On a brighter note, we're willing to offer you a 5 year, $5 million contract because we're such nice guys"

Marcum goes to the DL as the corresponding move for Ishikawa coming off the DL. Considering Marcum wasn't slotted in to pitch until next weekend anyway, this isn't a surprise. Hopefully he'll be back sooner than later.

http://brewersbeat.mlblogs.com/2012/06/23/marcum-to-dl-ishikawa-reinstated/

"When a piano falls on Yadier Molina get back to me, four letter." - Me, upon reading a ESPN update referencing the 'injury-plagued Cardinals'

Archived