Brewer Fanatic

Marcum has right elbow tightness; to 15-day DL, retroactive to 6/15

markedman5
The fact that Thornburg's name is being thrown around plus the fact that Marcum was examined by a surgeon seems pretty ominous.

That's what I'm thinking too. If this was just going to be 1 start or so, it wouldn't follow normal Brewer protocol to call up someone like Thornburg to make it.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The fact that Thornburg's name is being thrown around plus the fact that Marcum was examined by a surgeon seems pretty ominous.

That's what I'm thinking too. If this was just going to be 1 start or so, it wouldn't follow normal Brewer protocol to call up someone like Thornburg to make it.

That's a good point. That's why I said earlier that it would likely be Parra. It surprises me that it could be Thornburg. Makes me think that Marcum is headed for the DL.

Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

Vargas > Dillard and can give you more than one ****** inning when we are getting blown out.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Can someone please explain to me why that # sign keeps coming up before the word Brewers? I have seen it on other sites too with different words. Is that a Twitter thing?

Please excuse my ignorance.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

That's a good point. That's why I said earlier that it would likely be Parra. It surprises me that it could be Thornburg. Makes me think that Marcum is headed for the DL.

Yeah, same here. I think this is the best guess at this point, specifically due to how it wouldn't be normal Brewers procedure.

Shaun Marcum is probably one nervous dude right now. If this injury is anything serious, it will cost him literally millions of dollars. Hoping for the best for him.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Is it common protocol to be examined by a surgeon for injuries like this? I would figure he would just get an eval by the team doc and then be referred to the surgeon if he felt its something more serious
Formerly AirShuttle6104

Is it common protocol to be examined by a surgeon for injuries like this? I would figure he would just get an eval by the team doc and then be referred to the surgeon if he felt its something more serious

Wait, who said he was getting examined by a surgeon? I hadn't heard that. All I heard was that he was getting examined by the team doctor, William Raasch.

Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

This news stinks, and I really hope this is something small and he only misses one start.

I figured that Marcum could either be traded for a really good prospect, or he could pitch out the season and have us offer the one-year deal so we'd either get him for another year or get two good picks for him. If he needs TJ surgery, we couldn't trade him and we wouldn't be willing to offer him a one-year $13MM deal, so we'd basically just pay him this year to not pitch and then lose him for nothing.

The only "bright side" I see is that maybe this gets Greinke thinking that there is some risk to pitching for free agency and that gets him back to the negotiating table... but I doubt it. The other side of that is that this shows how much risk there is in signing any pitcher to a long-term, big money deal.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

So, my question is, if it is Thornburg, what is the 40 man move?

Lucroy to the 60 day DL (that means he couldn't come off until July 28th)?

Perez?

Dillard?

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Perez?

Dillard?

This could be why they're taking so long to announce the starter, as they probably want to wait to see what the doctor says about Marcum's elbow. If he's only going to miss a start or two, then they will probably have to DFA someone to clear a 40-man spot (I doubt Lucroy will go on the 60-Day). My fingers are crossed that the answer isn't Marcum to the 60-day DL in need of Tommy John.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Perez?

Dillard?

Scarpetta?

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

Bill Michaels just tweeted that Thornburg indeed will start tonight. I'm just glad it's not Claudio Vargas as was speculated.

Edit: Turns out he appears to be going off the ESPN.com listing, which is somewhat old news and not really confirmed by anything else.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

good luck Jays if he gets the start!

good luck brewers defense if McVargus gets the start!

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

Archived