Brewer Fanatic

Marcum has right elbow tightness; to 15-day DL, retroactive to 6/15

markedman5

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Obviously don't want to wish injury on anyone but maybe this ends up being a blessing in disguise? I truly believe the Brewers don't have the talent this year (injuries/under-performance/etc.) to compete in the playoffs and I think the worst thing they could do is play average ball, think they have a chance at the playoffs, and actually become buyers. Then not only do they get nothing for Greinke/Marcum/KRod/etc. but they may end up giving away more minor-league talent.

Maybe Marcum misses a few starts and they give Thornburg a shot to see what's he got. That would allow him to get his feet wet a bit since he's a candidate for a spot next year. Then Melvin and Co. realize this just isn't their year so they trade Greinke et. al for some big-time talent.

This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

I don't see this as much of a blessing. First and foremost, it hurts the team's chances- debatable as they are- for competing. It also puts a huge dent in any potential trade value that Marcum has/had.

Don't want to get ahead of things, but the only silver lining that I could possibly see here would be that he may come cheaply on a make good contract next year if he misses extended time. However, on the other hand, if he misses extended time, that does not bode well for his elbow.

Hopefully this is just something very minor and no cause for alarm.

Thornburg likely won't get a shot. They'll probably fill will the bullpen tomorrow, then Fiers would take the next turn on Sunday. Estrada will be back next Tuesday. I don't see them calling anyone up to fill just one start unless they are absolutely forced to. Fiers will take over the spot if he's out longer.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

Only 40 man pitchers in Nashville are McClendon, Estrada, Peralta and Rogers and the other options are shall we say, uninspiring. Unless of course we want a second go around with Seth McClung or a third with Claudio Vargas. McClendon is a reliever and I doubt they want to go a couple relievers pitch a couple innings and then other relievers go one inning. Estrada and Rogers both pitched the 16th and Peralta pitched yesterday. It almost has to be Thornburg

Only 40 man pitchers in Nashville are McClendon, Estrada, Peralta and Rogers and the other options are shall we say, uninspiring. Unless of course we want a second go around with Seth McClung or a third with Claudio Vargas. McClendon is a reliever and I doubt they want to go a couple relievers pitch a couple innings and then other relievers go one inning. Estrada and Rogers both pitched the 16th and Peralta pitched yesterday. It almost has to be Thornburg

No it doesn't. Parra can go 4 innings. Then just fill the other 5 with the pen. Fiers may be able to take 2 innings or so since he last pitched Saturday and wouldn't be needed again until Sunday. It probably is all hinging on how much the pen has to be used tonight though. If they use multiple guys they may have to go with Thornburg. Otherwise they might just go with the pen, because it's only one start.

Obviously don't want to wish injury on anyone but maybe this ends up being a blessing in disguise? I truly believe the Brewers don't have the talent this year (injuries/under-performance/etc.) to compete in the playoffs and I think the worst thing they could do is play average ball, think they have a chance at the playoffs, and actually become buyers. Then not only do they get nothing for Greinke/Marcum/KRod/etc. but they may end up giving away more minor-league talent.

Maybe Marcum misses a few starts and they give Thornburg a shot to see what's he got. That would allow him to get his feet wet a bit since he's a candidate for a spot next year. Then Melvin and Co. realize this just isn't their year so they trade Greinke et. al for some big-time talent.

So you want us to sell, and it's a good thing our second biggest trade chip is on the DL with a sore elbow?

That makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

And this his nothing to do with the fact that I think it's entirely premature to declare the Brewers not capable of winning. You just need to look at some of the teams that have made the playoffs after slow starts in recent memory in the NL.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

RR said after the game it would be a pitcher from the minors. Yesterday Thornburg tweeted that he was promoted to AAA. That hasn't been said by the Brewers at all. Maybe they haven't announced that yet because he's coming to MKE instead of Nashville tomorrow.

I guess they decided to save the bullpen, which is fine. If they do end up giving Thornburg a shot it'll be nice to see, but I'd like to see him get more than just 1 start. I would've rather just seen him fill Estrada's spot if he was an option to be called up all along. Either way, it would be cool to see him pitch. Better than seeing Manny Parra. It just seemed like a typical Brewer move to go with Parra, but I guess they are thinking this time. If it ends up being Vargas or McClung I might puke.

So you want us to sell, and it's a good thing our second biggest trade chip is on the DL with a sore elbow?

That makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

And this his nothing to do with the fact that I think it's entirely premature to declare the Brewers not capable of winning. You just need to look at some of the teams that have made the playoffs after slow starts in recent memory in the NL.

I never said it was a good thing he's hurt, just could end up being a blessing in disguise. I'm trying to be optimistic about it. And FWIW, I don't think Marcum would bring back enough in a trade to make it worth trading him (even without the injury). I'd rather offer him the new arby and either he accepts, which is cool, or he declines and we get a draft pick, which is cool.

And I'm not talking about just making the playoffs. I don't even think they could do that. I'm talking about being able to compete with the teams once we got there. Its not enough to just make the playoffs. The bullpen is a mess (tonight just reiterates that point), SS is a blackhole offensively, Weeks has yet to get it going (though he's starting to come around), there's no guarantee that Lucroy will return to pre-broken hand form. There's just too many question marks for me.

I realize we want to always be going for it and want to watch winning baseball all the time but we're not the Yankees, Red Sox, etc. We can't just buy talent, we need to be smart about how we acquire it. I really admire how TheCrew07 views things, with always cycling back in young, cheap talent. That should be the way to go. Like I said, I would hate for them to become buyers and trade even more of the farm, only to say lose the wildcard opener, or even worse, not make the playoffs at all. Then we could conceivably be looking up at the rest of the NL Central for the next few years.

This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

If it ends up being Vargas or McClung I might puke.

Could be a piggy-back start, ala A ball and rookie league. They'll call them both up for the start. Vargas goes 5, McClung 4. We'll call it McVargas, and when this entity shuts out the Jays it will go down in BF lore.

FWIW Vargas is the probable pitcher tomorrow in Nashville. ugh

That is a GOOD thing because that means it is Thornburg coming to pitch for the CREW~!

;)

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

We'll call it McVargas, and when this entity shuts out the Jays it will go down in BF lore.

Nice. It will also take six hours.

Just to stoke the fire a bit more, here's Adam McCalvy's latest tweet:

#Brewers didn't name a starter for Tues. night, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's the guy all of you want.

I'd like to think Adam isn't cruel enough to say that if he knows it's McVargas or some component thereof.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

FWIW Vargas is the probable pitcher tomorrow in Nashville. ugh

That is a GOOD thing because that means it is Thornburg coming to pitch for the CREW~!

;)

When the Brewers signed Vargas, DM said it was purely for AAA depth. Hopefully that's still the case and Vargas will make that AAA start tomorrow.

Archived