Brewer Fanatic

Visiting Team Autographs

Barrelman19
Hi All, I have recently moved to Milwaukee and want to start getting autographs of the visiting team after games. I am fairly confident I know which hotel the teams stay at, but if anyone is willing to post or pm with any tips I would greatly appreciate it.

once miller park was built it became much more difficult. when i was in grade school we used to get autographs as the opposing players either got dropped off by a taxi outside of the stadium. now they park inside. I think the easiest way to get them is to go into the stadium when the gates open and try to get players as opposing team bp goes on.

Visiting teams generally stay at the Pfister downtown. I've only tried for autographs once there, before a game, and it seemed like most guys were signing (then again, we were playing the Nationals... I was trying only for Strasburg and he didn't sign though). It's essentially impossible to get autographs from visiting players as they enter or leave Miller Park, as their cabs / buses pull into an area that's restricted from fans (as patrick alluded to). So the best options are at the Pfister either before / after games (before is probably better) or inside MP during batting practice.

I usually go based off of when I know the Brewers usually get to Miller Park. On the road, I assume most players will get to the stadium around 3-5 hours early for day games (which is about the same time as for home games) and about 3-6 hours early for night games (which is a little later than the norm for home games). Those are just approximations though. Another thing to keep in mind if going to the hotel is that you may catch players going out to eat or wherever else in the morning before a night game or in the evening after a day game (pending travel schedules of course)

I was walking by the Pfister last year when the Twins bus was loading and there were like 5 or 6 fans wearing Twins clothes looking for autos and not one player stopped to sign. It seemed almost rude as they were behind a rope 5 feet away and there were so few of them and the players wouldn't even look their way.

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't gone there so I might be the best guy to answer this, but I have friends that used to go in the past, and you have to "earn" the respect of some of those guys. They're there for business, I'd imagine a poor business at that. Some of the guys get upset when newer people show up because it decreases their odds of getting someone to sign.

Good luck over there, and don't take no guff!

i'd heard that players are quite aware of their "regulars" who follow them all over the country on the team hotel circuit for their autos.

this whole thing makes ZERO sense to me how signed merchandise has perceived value. then again, i collect bobble dolls.

I stopped going to the hotels in the late 90's, did it a lot and kept everything, my best of the bunch of autos, were 4 Derek Jeter autos on various items including a Beckett future stars price guide, and a rookie Starting lineup, and when the Braves stayed at the Hyatt, a partial team signed Ball with Chipper, Glavine, Maddux, and Cox among others like Millwood....it was fun and I have never sold anything...

The regulars at that time were a kid named Joe, some kid Mike, and some scab faced older dude that drove a beat up Oldsmobile, oh and I cant forget some guy named Rex, i think thats his name, hid did jail time for fake Favre autos....

miggs, did that guy Rex run a memorabilia shop? a co-worker knows a guy that did jail time for the same thing....

guys spend a lot of time chasing autographs to use as an ebay business, and i just can't see how that's economical. you need to invest in items to be signed, then stand around and hope you get something signed, by anyone. not many people will pay enough for most players to be worth it, and the stars rarely sign. then again, I guess unemployment checks help pay the bills too.

i dont know if he ran a shop but was involved with someone that did....id see him at golf tournaments too, where he would have 5-10 kids working for him, and they would be the ones that ended up with Tiger or Phil because they are picky about who they sign for

• 3 weeks later...
I was at the Pfister this past week when the Nationals were in town. Everyone was ignored. I talked with a nice security guy on Friday afternoon and he told me that most MLB and NBA teams stay at the Pfister. We stayed at the Hyatt and I would have a hard time believing that teams would stay there anymore. The Pfister is clearly a nicer place.

Archived