Brewer Fanatic

Nyjer Morgan - Is it Time to Move On?

wibadgers23
What a magical season it was for Nyjer last year, but with his struggles this year and the team not doing so hot, is it time to just trade him and let one of the young outfielders in Nashville get some starts in the big leagues, particularly Logan Schafer or Caleb Gindl? Schafer has been red-hot lately and I'd like to finally see what he can do in the majors. I wouldn't mind seeing Schafer in CF, Aoki in right and Hart at first on a consistent basis.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Gindl and Schafer would ride the pine in the majors. Nyjer had one bad month (april 55 at bats), one solid month (may 69 at bats) and in June has only 20 at bats. Its not time to give up on him.

I wouldn't trade Nyjer now. I think trading him back in February/March after we knew Braun wasn't going to be suspended and Nyjer's value was overinflated, probably wouldn't have been a bad idea. But then, I have really no idea what the market was for him then. If it was little more than what we gave up for him, no point in dealing him.

At best he's our second best left handed center field option which will be handed to Logan eventually. Only in a world where Melvin trades some one does he come back next year.
"Did I ever tell you how I became a Postman Abby? I don't know if you'd laugh or cry"-The Postman

At best he's our second best left handed center field option which will be handed to Logan eventually. Only in a world where Melvin trades some one does he come back next year.

So what? That doesn't mean that you trade player who's put up 9.2 WAR in 2 of his last 3 seasons because he's struggled a little bit.

Especially when you'll get nothing for him, and he's a huge clubhouse presence.

Maybe if we just gave up on the season, which would be beyond ridiculous at this point in the season given the way things have played out in recent years with teams overcoming several slow starts only to make it to the playoffs and advance in them.

I said when Fiers made his first start, if he can provide a Cal Eldred circa 1992 type performance since it'll be the first time the league is seeing him, type performance, the Brewers are still in the thick of this race.

What's it really going to take for us to get back into it? We're not that far out. 5 games.

Weeks isn't likely to hit .160 all year, Lucroy will be coming back, Fiers has been outstanding and Wolf has come around giving us the starting pitching we've had in the past.

Our lineup is significantly better with Aoki in RF, Hart at 1st, Lucroy in there, Weeks being Weeks, and Aram is already starting to hit the ball well again.

Plus I do believe that our BP is going to improve drastically. Axford is a star closer, K-Rod is an elite SU man, and I wouldn't be surprised to see a guy like Thornburg brought up to help the pen out and keep his innings down as the year goes on.

People have short memories. As long as we're a good week away from being atop the WC standings and have Greinke, Gallardo, Marcum, Wolf throwing better and Fiers as our X factor, we've got a very real chance.

Everything just about has gone wrong for this team thus far. Look at the Cards and Rockies as recent examples teams that started off far worse than we have.

I'd give this team one month to see where they're at. If they're within 3 or so and playing good baseball they'll likely look to add. If they're still struggling, everyone should be on the block within reason.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Wow HiandTight I have to give you credit. You are really look at the bright side of things. I'm really worried Doug and Mark are going to view things the same way you are.

If they lose today, they'll have just gone .500 against four of the worst teams in baseball. Maybe if they win today and then go 6-3 against Toronto, Chicago and Cincinnati I'll be a little more hopeful but nothing they have done this season leads to believe they are a playoff team. And even if they somehow sneak into that second wildcard spot, does it really mean anything? I would like to think after an NLCS appearance last season that a mere playoff spot isn't what we are shooting for anymore. I'd prefer not to mortgage our future by hanging onto Greinke, Marcum, Hart, and others just to lose a one game "playoff". This team has a ton of holes they need to fill next season and unless they play on resigning Greinke and Marcum, and all indications are they don't, then they should try to shore up the future of the franchise by trading them away. They still have a HUGE hole a shortstop to fill next year. Plus they'll probably have at least 2 and up to 4 rotation spots to fill. There is a chance that this team could be an awful team for the next few years if something isn't done to drastically upgrade the talent level in the system. Trading away Greinke and Marcum is the quickest and easiest way to do that.

As far as the original topic with Morgan. I've advocated trading him as well but the fact is a) you're not going to get anything for him and b) even if they do bring up Schafer Roenecke won't play him (I'm already having fears about Schafer's career going to same way as Gamel and Green's in that the Brewers never bother to make a spot for him while he rots away in the minors or on the bench). You may as well keep Morgan and hope he can increase his a value a bit and then trade him either at the deadline or in the off-season. But either way, I see no reason for him to be on the roster next season.

I'd almost prefer to sell regardless this year. As things stand right now, we are going to be a very bad team next year. Now true, we have to wait and see who we go get in free agency, but free agency as a "go to" method to boost you from a 60 win team (which I think we would be next year with a rotation of Gallardo and pick 4 of Thornburg/Narveson/Fiers/Estrada/Peralta) and a 90 win team is just not a sustainable strategy.

If we lose Greinke and Marcum for picks, it's going to be a few years before we'll see any compensation for them at the MLB level (if ever). Meanwhile, we just don't have the depth in the farm to weather the storm until then. We have some pitching, but answers from the farm for our infield problems just aren't there. We can continue to try to plug the holes with free agency, which I'm sure we will try, but the money there is limited and we're having pretty limited success with free agency.

If we trade Greinke and Marcum, we can acquire pieces that will help us fill the holes at other positions and put ourselves in a better position to contend in 2013 and beyond.

ESPN currently has us at a 10.3% chance to make the playoffs. While that probably doesn't take everything into account and is just a guesstimate, it gives you a pretty good idea of what we're up against. Even if we get in -- we then have to get through the one game playoff if a Wild Card, then win several playoff series' to make it worthwhile. While anything can happen if you get there, to still go for it this year because of this chance is a pretty big roll of the dice.

Of course, if we extend Greinke I might feel a little bit differently, but at this point I just don't see that happening.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

In the last 14 games, they played the pirates, cubs, padres, royals, and Twins, and they've gone 7-7. This team just isn't playoff caliber. Too many injuries, and a crap bullpen are derailing them. Axford is turning in a Turnbow-like performance, and K-Rod hasn't been much better.

Nyjer isn't part of the future of this franchise. Even if they don't get anything much in return, who cares? They gave up Cutter Dykstra to get him. Logan Schafer is 25 years old. Time to see if the kid can play.

I fail to see the point of trading Morgan. He seems to be very popular with his teammates and even also with the fans, is not expensive and has not lived up to his 'cancer' reputation in the least. Why trade him for the sake of making a move? To let someone from Nashville sit and rot on the bench? On the other hand, maybe they could get Cutter Dykstra or even Komatsu back for him....

I just think that people have set the bar way too high for this franchise. I also feel that people are too knee jerk from game to game. Yes, the K.C. series was a kick below the belt, but if they win today, they were basically one game below my goal for the road trip(which they also were during the home stand.... however they were two ahead of my goal in LA, so it's even).

After watching crappy baseball for all the lean years, I'll take plus .500 baseball with a chance of playoffs into the late summer every year. With the pitching coming around, yes there is still a chance. I see a lot of assumptions that you dump everyone, stockpile 'Baseball America prospects', and you will be fighting for the division in 2014, even though the cupboard of minor league hitters in the organization is almost completely bare.

You trade Morgan because has more value if traded than he would if we keep him. He is redundantly redundant for us. He s actually the kind of guy Melvin usually does well with in trades.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

In the last 14 games, they played the pirates, cubs, padres, royals, and Twins, and they've gone 7-7. This team just isn't playoff caliber. Too many injuries, and a crap bullpen are derailing them. Axford is turning in a Turnbow-like performance, and K-Rod hasn't been much better.

Nyjer isn't part of the future of this franchise. Even if they don't get anything much in return, who cares? They gave up Cutter Dykstra to get him. Logan Schafer is 25 years old. Time to see if the kid can play.

Playoff caliber or not is yet to be fully determined, but Morgan is not a difference maker and you are right on the money as far as the future of the franchise. 2011 is over. Nyjer was a nice story and a played a role on that team. So was Bob "Hurricane" Hazle on the 57 Braves championship team. But both were role players, not stars. Hazle fizzled in 58 and was dealt in midseason. Now Morgan has a better pedigree than Hazle did, but the comparison fits. Morgan isn't doing it this year. It's time to move on.

The "locker room presence" thing is off the mark as well. This year the locker room has guys like Green, Maldanado, Fiers, all of whom played with Schafer. It's a far different locker room. Lucroy, when healthy, has emerged as a leader. So in a way is Gomez. Hopefully, their success has finally convinced the very conservative Melvin that guys who weren't first round picks actually can contribute on the major league level. Schafer's been hot lately, and like Green was once the Brewers minor league player of the year. There's no need to block him with a Morgan. No offense to Morgan, but guys like him are available if needed every year for little (ala Dykstra).

You trade Morgan because has more value if traded than he would if we keep him. He is redundantly redundant for us. He s actually the kind of guy Melvin usually does well with in trades.

What value does a guy with a .546 OPS, can't hit a lefty to save his life, with less than a year on his contract worth? Cutter Dykstra? As far as redundancy goes with Hart at first he is no more redundant than he was last year. He's the same guy playing the same role. While the minors have a couple guys who look promising I think it too early bring them up yet, barring injury. I think letting the AAA guys play more than one season there is better for us and them. If we are going to get back in it I don't think we need more Taylor Green types.* We need more Morgan types to play the way the always have.

*Not saying Green is not going to be alright down the road. Just saying he fits the mold of a guy who had one good season in AAA and we all wanted him to play right away at the majors instead of letting him prove the season was legit. I also think guys like Hart or Gamel who had more time there come in more prepared to help a team right away.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

I'll sort of defend HiAndTight here. I think one bad thing about the current era of baseball fans is that we are all somewhat knowledgeable about all things, including the minor leagues. A decade ago people wouldn't have been clamoring for Schafer after 1 good year, they wouldn't have been clamoring for Green after 2 good years (with 2 or 3 years in between), and they wouldn't have been advocating to sell for pieces that may never be as good as Randy Wolf or Nyjer Morgan. Remember, the minor leagues serve to make the big league team better. We have lots of talent this year, and a great rotation that is just rounding into form. Throw in that our bullpen should improve, and I just can't fathom selling.

As for Adambr2, of course you want to sell. Nearly every thread I've seen you comment in or start in the last 6 months has been advocating a complete sell-off, "all players with talent must go" approach. Personally, it's been fun to watch the Brewers the last few years (except 2010), and I'd hate to go into Kansas City's perpetual rebuilding mode where we trade everyone for prospects year after year.

We are in the race for the NL Central this year. We get an all-star catcher in the next few weeks, we just need Weeks and Hart to start hitting.

I'll sort of defend HiAndTight here. I think one bad thing about the current era of baseball fans is that we are all somewhat knowledgeable about all things, including the minor leagues. A decade ago people wouldn't have been clamoring for Schafer after 1 good year, they wouldn't have been clamoring for Green after 2 good years (with 2 or 3 years in between), and they wouldn't have been advocating to sell for pieces that may never be as good as Randy Wolf or Nyjer Morgan. Remember, the minor leagues serve to make the big league team better. We have lots of talent this year, and a great rotation that is just rounding into form. Throw in that our bullpen should improve, and I just can't fathom selling.

As for Adambr2, of course you want to sell. Nearly every thread I've seen you comment in or start in the last 6 months has been advocating a complete sell-off, "all players with talent must go" approach. Personally, it's been fun to watch the Brewers the last few years (except 2010), and I'd hate to go into Kansas City's perpetual rebuilding mode where we trade everyone for prospects year after year.

We are in the race for the NL Central this year. We get an all-star catcher in the next few weeks, we just need Weeks and Hart to start hitting.

And here, despite the fact that I expressed my feelings quite logically and explained my thoughts with rationale, DHonks responds with a condescending "of course you want to sell" remark about how all my posts suggest the same (quite wrong, if you've actually read all my posts), and how I want a "all players with talent must go" type approach, when all I'm claiming is that the likelihood of us making the playoffs this year is probably not strong enough to make going for it more desirable than setting ourselves up for 2013 and beyond.

I want the Brewers to succeed just as much as you do -- just because I don't share your opinions on their short-term ability to do that and encourage a more patient approach does not make my perspective "wrong". We are "in the race" for the NL Central? We are 8.5 games out of first place. That's exactly where the Twins are at, are they in a race too? Should they not be fathoming selling either?

I'm going to ask this of you nicely -- please do not attack my personal opinions again, here or in the trade forums (where this kind of discussion is sort of expected). This is several times now.

Like others have said, there is no points to trading Morgan. He isn't going to get us anything... and even if we trade him Roenicke probably wouldn't play Schafer. I'd rather just have Schafer play regularly in AAA all year. Morgan will not be tendered a contract after this season.

Like others have said, there is no points to trading Morgan. He isn't going to get us anything... and even if we trade him Roenicke probably wouldn't play Schafer. I'd rather just have Schafer play regularly in AAA all year. Morgan will not be tendered a contract after this season.

If you are not going to tender Morgan a contract you might as well trade him. We don't know that he won't bring back anything of value. That is just the assumption because we got him for so little, but we don't have the personality problems with him that Washington did.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Wow HiandTight I have to give you credit. You are really look at the bright side of things. I'm really worried Doug and Mark are going to view things the same way you are.

And they swept the Dodgers on the road where they had previously only lost a total of 5 games? Not to mention without the backend of our all-star pen blowing up, we could have easily swept the Royals and our starting pitching is pitching exceptionally well.

If they lose today, they'll have just gone .500 against four of the worst teams in baseball. Maybe if they win today and then go 6-3 against Toronto, Chicago and Cincinnati I'll be a little more hopeful but nothing they have done this season leads to believe they are a playoff team.

So a 9 game streak in the first half of the season is going to make your decision? What if we're not offered what we all want for Greinke? What if we're not even over Olt from the Rangers, much less Profar? Which as I've said before, I don't think the Rangers would trade Greinke and dAxfor to part with profar.

I would like to think after an NLCS appearance last season that a mere playoff spot isn't what we are shooting for anymore. I'd prefer not to mortgage our future by hanging onto Greinke, Marcum, Hart, and others just to lose a one game "playoff".

Yeah, and did the Cards "mortgage," their future last year with their trade deadline trades? This whole "mortgage the future" stuff is just a cliche now. It has no meaning. If we ever mortgaged anything it was when we traded Lawrie, Ordoizzi, Escobar and to a lesser degree, Cain and Jeffress.

Nobody's saying trade Thornburg for a 1 year rental, so lets chill on the mortgaging of anything.

Agreed. I also find it dumbfounding to definitively say we have "no answers" for the IF with our young players.

Gamel isn't a potential answer at 1st? You were pretty high on his bandwagon?

Gennett isn't an answer at 2nd in 3 years(at least as we have Weeks for 2 more after this).

Green at 3rd after we have Aram for 2 more after this year?

We're a team that can easily spend 110-115 next year so all we need is a SS and we were fine with Gonzalez.

It comes down to one thing. Re-signing Greinke. If you can't and you KNOW you can't then it's all over, but if you can, you're just fine. Gennett at 6'0 with the exact same skill sets and production would be a very highly ranked prospect. Green has played exceptionally well in the minors and is getting his feet wet. I don't think anyone who watched Gamel play 1st this year didn't think he was a viable candidate.

I just can't fathom what the Rockies would have done when they made a big come back, the Philles over the Braves, the Cards last year, all in much worse shape than us.

As for the question what are we going to do when we get there? I don't know, haven't polished off the crystal ball yet, but what I DO know is that this team is built to win close games moreso than last years team and I think a fantastic recipe to win in the post-season, IF they simply play to their ability level.

Aoki has been a revelation. Hart could and I think will improve a little, but he's still on pace for over 30 HR's.

Aram is heating up hitting almost .260 already after being down near .200.

Lucroy who's hitting nearly .350 is due back before the break and our backup's, namely Maldonado.

Braun is Braun

Gomez is a much improved player, and willl be only better when his hammy gets better.

So we need a serviceable SS, and MAYBE a solid arm out of the pen. Not mortgaging the future.

And to the comment that we could lose Greinke and Marcum and get "nothing," for them if they leave, well, how about 4 draft picks that could be as high as #11 in the draft?

It's amazing how this board spouts "small sample size, small sample size," over and over, and rightfully so, yet they cite a bad small sample size when it suits them.

Weeks certainly looks better.

A rotation of Greinke/Yo/Marcum/Wolf/Fiers(who I still maintain could put together a poor mans '92 Eldred' down the stretch) that's a staff that's as good as just about any staff I've ever seen and better than last year with Yo pitching better, and Fiers pitching better than Narveson.

The pen I think you throw Peralta and Thornburg in there the last 2 months of the season, or you trade for a loogy.

Not talking about "mortgaging," anything.

Not to mention Greinke's main agenda is to be on a winning team. If we can manage to get into the playoffs this year with a clearly improving farm systeme, arms on the way and some impact bats, he's a lot more likely to hang around and re-sign. There by doing the opposite of mortgaging our future.

Weeks has been looking like Weeks again recently.

Through our a lineup of

Aoki

Lucroy

Braun

Aram

Weeks

Hart

Gomez(who's undeniably improved, though that was almost impossible being 26) and Morgan manning center.

Ransom/Izturis...whoever maybe we make a trade for Clint Barmes this year as he's bound to pick it up as well.

The same calls to sell last year when we were merely a couple weeks behind our ascent are being made this year.

We're missing a guy who should hit .300+ this year, we've got an all start 2nd basemen hitting .155 coming into this past series and is finally looking better and almost certainly will pick it up.

Braun is having an MVP year.

Veras/K-Rod and AX have struggled at times, but they're still three very good relievers.

And yes, adambr, you have been on the selling bandwagon all year. Which is fine to speculate, but it's really all you've done.

If you look at the rental trades we've made in the past, they have been very good trades. Save for Lawrie, we've made very good trades in-season and have given up very little. I think it's important that we try and add a good-solid SS for the second half and if we play together, play team ball and we're still as talented as any team in the NLC and NLW. One week where we reel off a 6-1 run and we'er right back int he mix.

If we go the other way, trade and maximize all the talent you can. But we're not there yet.

REally no reason to since the return won't be worth it. And if the Brewers do enter rebuilding Hart and Aoki should both be traded anyway so plenty of space to play.

I don't know why Aoki should be traded. He may not be young but he's very affordable.

Yeah, I can't even begin to fathom why Aoki would be someone we'd trade at this point. He hasn't proven enough yet, he's been an extremely valuable player for us and we have control of him for 2 1/2 more years.

Hell, he's a player I'd rather add a year or two on than dump at this point. he's given us the best at bats on the team or anyone?

No, Fan, I have not.

But I'm not going to re-hash all that and dive into every post just to prove a point.

Also, we were never 8 1/2 out last year. It's not impossible, but it's a big hole, and things have to go right. I don't recall calls for selling when we were 13-19 last year.

I don't think I'm being unreasonable here. We are 6 games under .500. I said after the Dodger sweep that the next 15 games should decide our direction -- that we had a really easy stretch coming up, we had a chance to make hay and rise to the occasion, and if we could go 10-5, we would be back to .500 and right back in it. Well, we didn't go 10-5, we didn't get back to .500, we didn't rise to the occasion, we played like a mediocre team and went 7-8 over that stretch and made the Dodger sweep look like a fluke. I thought the season might be turning around after the Dodger series, but there was absolutely nothing I saw from this team the last 15 games since then to make me think they're playoff caliber.

But the bigger issue is the position we're in. At this point, this pitching staff is being gutted next year. It's a pretty uncertain future right now, and there are certain actions that should be taken to ensure this is a smooth transition where we are able to remain competitive, and not a painful rebuilding process. I am not, nor have I ever said trade anyone for the sake of doing so, but it would be negligent of Melvin not to consider the opportunity if such an offer was presented.

As far as your infield answers, I'm more referring to the left side of the infield. Ramirez is fine for now, though at a high price tag, but I have not seen any indication that the organization has any belief that Taylor Green is the 3B of the future. SS is a much larger concern.

And both of you are ignoring that I indicated that if we re-signed Greinke, I might feel differently. At this point I think there's about a 5% chance that they re-sign Greinke before he hits free agency and 20% at best of bringing him back -- and that will certainly require overpaying after the Cain deal.

Playoff caliber or not is yet to be fully determined, but Morgan is not a difference maker and you are right on the money as far as the future of the franchise. 2011 is over. Nyjer was a nice story and a played a role on that team. So was Bob "Hurricane" Hazle on the 57 Braves championship team. But both were role players, not stars. Hazle fizzled in 58 and was dealt in midseason. Now Morgan has a better pedigree than Hazle did, but the comparison fits. Morgan isn't doing it this year. It's time to move on.

The "locker room presence" thing is off the mark as well. This year the locker room has guys like Green, Maldanado, Fiers, all of whom played with Schafer. It's a far different locker room. Lucroy, when healthy, has emerged as a leader. So in a way is Gomez. Hopefully, their success has finally convinced the very conservative Melvin that guys who weren't first round picks actually can contribute on the major league level. Schafer's been hot lately, and like Green was once the Brewers minor league player of the year. There's no need to block him with a Morgan. No offense to Morgan, but guys like him are available if needed every year for little (ala Dykstra).

Yeah, Morgan can't be a difference maker. He's only put up WAR's of 4.0 and 5.2 in 2 of the last 3 years.

Not a difference maker. He certainly didn't engergize the team last yeaer at all.

And I won't even tough the comment about "maybe this will convince Melvin that you don't have to be a 1st round pick to contribute.

I haven't even got a clue where that comes from. Lucroy, Gomez, Gallardo, Hardy, Hart, Morgan, Narveson, Marcum..our entire bullpen. So...that doesn't make sense on any level.

Even if they're right and we can't keep Greinke, I'd consider arbitration worth it for Greinke and Marcum....if they sign elsewhere, that's likely 4 draft picks with potentially higher ceilings than the prospects we'd trade for would have. The only free agent to worry about leaving without compensation is K-Rod.

As for Aoki, he's deserving the chance to play nearly every day now. I've been down on Hart a lot for his inconsistencies, especially defensively. Realistically, if he's your 1st, 2nd, or 3rd best hitter, you're likely in trouble. Thus far he's been our 4th best hitter (Braun, Lucroy, and Aoki ahead of him), and if Weeks gets it going then we're in good shape. Think of that...if Weeks gets going and Lucroy comes back, Hart is our 5th or 6th best hitter. This lineup is not THAT bad. Also, as much as I don't like Hart in the OF, I love him at first base. It's been a joy having him and Gamel at 1st base this season after watching Fielder the last 6 years over there. I love seeing Hart's right knee dirty every night as it's how 1st basemen are taught to go after low throws. Prince never did that! I used to think Hart was a liability that had to be moved, but I now love him at 1st base. I'd be tempted to let Gamel play OF next year since it should increase our overall defensive abilities.

"I'd be tempted to let Gamel play OF next year"

I have a lot of doubts that Gamel will be in their plans for next year. Certainly not as a starter in the OF as you clearly stated that Aoki is deserving and I believe RF is where they'd play him. I think the feeling was this year was Gamel's chance. He turns 27 in a month and he's got 55 career hits. That's not exactly a proven track record. The timing of his injury couldn't have been worse for him. Can he handle a utility type role? Maybe, but he's not the ideal candidate. Not that he's got much trade value but as a secondary piece in a deal, some team might find him attractive.

Even if they're right and we can't keep Greinke, I'd consider arbitration worth it for Greinke and Marcum....if they sign elsewhere, that's likely 4 draft picks with potentially higher ceilings than the prospects we'd trade for would have. The only free agent to worry about leaving without compensation is K-Rod.

As for Aoki, he's deserving the chance to play nearly every day now. I've been down on Hart a lot for his inconsistencies, especially defensively. Realistically, if he's your 1st, 2nd, or 3rd best hitter, you're likely in trouble. Thus far he's been our 4th best hitter (Braun, Lucroy, and Aoki ahead of him), and if Weeks gets it going then we're in good shape. Think of that...if Weeks gets going and Lucroy comes back, Hart is our 5th or 6th best hitter. This lineup is not THAT bad. Also, as much as I don't like Hart in the OF, I love him at first base. It's been a joy having him and Gamel at 1st base this season after watching Fielder the last 6 years over there. I love seeing Hart's right knee dirty every night as it's how 1st basemen are taught to go after low throws. Prince never did that! I used to think Hart was a liability that had to be moved, but I now love him at 1st base. I'd be tempted to let Gamel play OF next year since it should increase our overall defensive abilities.

You make a very good case for why we shouldn't rebuild. I say that believing in my head that this season is over already, because we are already 8.5 games behind the Reds and I just believe the Reds wont slow down and are clearly the better team.

When Lucroy comes back and Weeks becomes even just an average hitter this line-up is pretty good, and that's with getting hardly any offensive production at SS and CF. As for the Brewers pitching, I agree with those who say that we need to keep one of Greinke or Marcum. What I think will happen in regards to those two is that we hold onto Marcum and re-sign him. Now what I think will happen with Greinke is I do believe that with so many teams in the hunt this season, the second wild card spot, Greinke will likely be the top pitcher to be had, and that Greinke is likely going to get over 100 million in FA, the Brewers will without question be listening to offers on him, and because of all of this I really believe that some team will give up and overpay a ton to acquire him and force Doug Melvin's hand. If this were to happen with Greinke the Brewers could make a serious run as soon as next season.

A couple other points I wanted to agree with you on is that Aoki has earned more playing time, and I'm hoping that he gets it and runs with it. I also really like Hart at 1B rather than RF, and I would give him 1B till his contract expires. I'd rather have Aoki in RF rather than CF, because I believe he is better defensively there. I'd like the Brewers to get a good hitting starting CF in a potential Greinke deal and dump both Morgan and Gomez. It's time to move forward at that position. I don't really care that Gamel doesn't have a position in these scenarios, because he didn't really prove much while playing in Milwaukee and the Brewers don't owe him anything. Stick him at AAA or trade him or do both next season.

As for the Brewers bullpen issues, the best time to address that is in the off-season. No point in overpaying for it at the trade deadline.

Robin Yount - “But what I'd really like to tell you is I never dreamed of being in the Hall of Fame. Standing here with all these great players was beyond any of my dreams.”

Archived