Brewer Fanatic

Weeks for Youk?

Horrible trade for the Brewers. The Brewers give up a lot of value and receive nothing in return as I don't believe Youkilis can stay healthy for even a half of a season anymore and I doubt he will even make it throughout the rest of this season without going on the DL at two or three more times this year. This is not a good option in terms of a trade for the Brewers.

Why on earth would we trade a good middle infielder having a bad year for a 1B? That is a horrible trade unless you are talking about an elite 1B. there are always guys to play 1B. Guys who can hit like Weeks should at 2B are much much much much rarer.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

It's bad value for us on paper, but assuming that both sides assume the contracts of the player they're receiving, if you think Weeks will never come around again and your goal is to dump his salary to increase flexibility over the next few years, it's not a bad move.

Weeks has the potential to rebound in his career and only plays 2B. Boston has Pedroia at 2B and Ortiz at DH and no need for Weeks. So trading Weeks to Boston wouldn't work for either team. I would be open to trading Weeks if the right deal came around but certainly not for Youkilis

Youkilis to Milwaukee is a possibility but it'd be more likely that Boston would be looking for Veras or Loe in return, which would be a horrible trade for us, or looking for a minor league arm like Peralta which also would be an awful trade. Youkilis has really declined

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Too much downside and not enough upside for the Brewers to make a trade like this.

I really don't get the obsession with Youkilis that some seem to have. I swear, the idea of the Brewers trading for him has been going around for at least five years now. He's not the player he once was.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

No way the Brewers do that trade. While Weeks is having a down year and that's putting it lightly i doubt they take that trade if it was ever offered. I still think Weeks is going to snap out of it but it's getting more and more tough to buy in to that. If i was looking to move Weeks i would be moving him for prospects and to move the money off the books.

How is there a 1B problem right now?

Aoki is a must play everyday just about right now. He's a .300 hitter who can draw walks, and plays exceptional RF defense and solid CF defense. In Center we've got Gomez and Morgan. I prefer Gomez as I think he's in the midst of a breakout year this season as I believe he's changed the way he's approaching AB's making him a valuable enough player to play most days and Morgan who's a good player as a platoon mate, and then Hart plays first. You have a 6'6 target with athletic ability playin over there.

And moving forward you still have Gamel who we've seen enough from IMO this year to feel confidence that he can be a long term solution at 1st, and Hart moves back to RF, Aoki plays CF and you cut 5-6 million by cutting Gogo and Morgan, or at least 3 or so million and just bring up Logan Schafer to platoon with Gomez.

Either way, I see no problem at 1st base right now and I think the only possible saving grace for this team is that you trot Hart out at 1st, Aoki in RF and hope that Weeks puts together a .285/365 15HR second half..which is entirely possible. He's showing some signs of life.

Youk would have been a great guy to have, and I'd take him right now even as I think he could bounce back and be a part time player at 3rd and 1st playing 3 days a week...but for Weeks? Nah.

Though I MUST say the "Weeks blows," argument is very compelling and I can only think is that of a fan who's really spent a long time around the game and has NEVER seen a player, an all star player get off to a horrible start. Right now, despite playing good defense(just using the eye test, he's been solid) and who's still, STILL getting on base at a .300+ clip during by far the worst stretch of his career.

In fact, that's one of the most obnoxious things to me. This player(Fill in blank) sucks because he's struggling. Take a little looksie at his recent history.

Anyway, we've got Gamel for the future and we've got Hart for this year and Gamel moving forward, both of whom I prefer to Youk who's sliding bad. So I'd rather just stick with Hart and re-sign him, move him to RF, or let him walk and play Gamel at 1st.

Again, anyone watching Gamel this year saw a guy who was very capable and who is generally a slow starter. I still believe Gamel comes back next years, seizes the 1B job, and puts up a 3.5 or so WAR. Either way...no need for 1B IMO in the immediate future. Gamel's one unlucky knee injury away from being a huge part of our lineup and he'll be entering his prime years cheap.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Too much downside and not enough upside for the Brewers to make a trade like this.

I really don't get the obsession with Youkilis that some seem to have. I swear, the idea of the Brewers trading for him has been going around for at least five years now. He's not the player he once was.

I get the former obsession...though his numbers are helped out BIG TIME by the Green Monster. And I'd get it if they wanted to dump him with Middlebrooks, Agon and Ortiz and we could grab him for 4-5 million NEXT season.

Certainly not for a for a plauer of Weeeks caliber and 23 or so million per year.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

This would almost be a NBA type salary dump by the Brewers but if the Red Sox or anybody else would take him for an expiring contract that would be fine with me. I'm not one who thinks Weeks will snap out of it, dump him while you still can.

I'm just not sure why people think Weeks won't snap out of it. I don't think there's anything physically wrong with him and he's only 30. Guys go through slumps or even bad seasons. Will he ever be the .850-900 OPS guy we wished he would turn into? No, probably not. But I see no reason why he can't rebound to the .750-.825 range and that is very valuable at 2B. His approach just looks different this year so it has to be something mental. I think he eventually figures it out and gets it going. Its frustrating sure but I can't believe so many people want to write him off after a bad 3 months, when his previous lowest OPS in a season was .727 in his rookie year. I'm not even a huge Weeks fan but giving him away would just be ridiculous.
This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

Youk is made of glass these days. Last thing we need is another injury prone player. Though I have been hard on Rickie this year, I just don't think he could possibly be this bad all season long. At some point, things have to click again.
"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Weeks has got a .704 OPS so far in June. While that is certainly not great it is trending in the right direction. I think Weeks is on the way back up. I agree that trading Weeks right now would be incredibly foolish especially for a player that is clearly on the downside of his career and is much less likely to rebound.

Archived