Brewer Fanatic

Cody Scarpetta Underwent Recent Tommy John Surgery

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Cody Scarpetta Talks Tommy John Surgery

The Brewers farmhand makes the difficult decision to end his baseball season

The Guilford (IL) HS graduate underwent tommy john surgery at the end of May. Scarpetta will be sidelined for this year and maybe longer. The surgery probably couldn't have come at a worse time.

He was 8 and 5 last season at the AA level and was right on the verge of making more appearances for the brewers. Because he is so close to the majors Scarpetta elected to get things fixed at the surgical level.

Hear Scarpetta discuss the injury at the link.

Scarpetta is out of major league options, and was already granted a 4th option year. Anybody up for a 5th?

If he were to be placed on waiver - DFA'd (he'll have to be eventually, it seems), he would remain Brewers property if he clears, as he does not have enough pro service time to become a minor league free agent.

Not surprising, have to figure Bucci will be the next one.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Isn't the surgery actually a solution to the lack of options?

I might be (or probably am) way off in my understanding of MLB's opaque and convoluted roster rules, but can't the Brewers now simply move Scarpetta to the 60 day DL and, once he's ready to pitch again, send him on a extraordinarily long rehab assignment? Sure, that means he'll be drawing the MLB minimum salary, but it's a creative way to keep him around without eating a 25-man spot.

Isn't the surgery actually a solution to the lack of options?

I might be (or probably am) way off in my understanding of MLB's opaque and convoluted roster rules, but can't the Brewers now simply move Scarpetta to the 60 day DL and, once he's ready to pitch again, send him on a extraordinarily long rehab assignment? Sure, that means he'll be drawing the MLB minimum salary, but it's a creative way to keep him around without eating a 25-man spot.

Well, I always forget how long it is, 30 days or 45 maybe...but you can't just stash him on the DL all year long.

I think his arm is so valuable that you simply put him on DL to start next season, leave him down in instructional as LONG as possible, until he's absolutely 100 pct ready, have him throw and get his arm strength back there, and then next year in July or so send him on a rehab assignment. Use him as a reliever as he's basically Ben Sheets with very poor command at this point, so he can't start, but he could work out his issues with walks and if he can come back to where he was, even add a MPH, I could see him sitting at 96-97 as a reliever(most likely 94-95) and be able to drop that hammer on ya at any time.

He still has the upside of a very good reliever and we've come this far with him, we might as well see what he has.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

As I recall, the simple version is that in the offseason the DL and 25 man roster disappear and everybody has to be on the 40-man. In that case as long as the Brewers are willing to let him keep that spot the DL can then solve the problem when you assemble to 25-man next spring. The only crunch is if they feel there are other guys they want to protect next winter during the rule V draft.

Archived