Brewer Fanatic

Would you believe....Ben Sheets?

splitterpfj
Do we know if MLBN or TBS will be carrying this game? I'd like to watch a bit of the ol' Sheeter.

Looks like the best way to catch the game will be on MLB.TV. I'll have to fire up my PS3 for this one. Can't wait!

I'm going to fire it up on my computer, and give Jim Powell a good listen.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If I remember correctly, Sheets' conditioning (or lack thereof) was joked about often by Brewers' players, most often and most notably by Sheets himself.

I don't think that really had anything to do with some of the freak injuries he had, just thought I'd add it to the discussion.

That 2004 year had some great performances I thought Randy Johnson had a better year than Sheets did and the Cy Young voting that year for the NL should have been Johnson winning with Sheets coming in at a close 2nd but the voters at that time were still into the wins mean everything for a starting pitcher. The year Johnson and Sheets had in 2004 is very comparable to what Pedro Martinez did in 2000. While Pedro's was more impressive that year Sheets and Johnson almost had a year like that and neither won the Cy Young that year.

Also looking back at the 2004 roster the 3 best players (not including Branyan as he only had 182 PA) were Junior Spivey, Lyle Overbay, and Geoff Jenkins. Spivey actually had a good year offensively in 2004 with an OPS+ of 101 while Overbay lead the Brewers with an OPS+ of 122 and Jenkins only had a OPS+ of 103 which was just under Brady Clark's OPS+ of 104! Yeah that team was awful offensively that year but during Ben Sheets starts the Brewers did average around 4.67 RS for the year. If I am remembering correctly though Sheets did lose a lot of tough losses and in 2004 Ben Sheets had 9 tough losses while Randy Johnson had 11!

Today's Mets vs. Braves game is the MLB.TV free game of the day. A nice opportunity for those who want to catch Sheets' start today.
"When a piano falls on Yadier Molina get back to me, four letter." - Me, upon reading a ESPN update referencing the 'injury-plagued Cardinals'

I am happy for him because he's looking good but i also have that feeling.....what if......

What if the Brewers signed him to an extension and paid him to not pitch for 2 years? There was no way the Brewers could or should have resigned him. Let's see if he even makes it through this season healthy.

6 shutout innings and his last pitch was 91. Impressive.

Awesome to see Ben come back with such a strong first performance. If he can stay healthy, this could wind up being the best 'trade-deadline' addition this year.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I gave him 6:1 odds this morning that he'd make it through the start unscathed. But I gave him 2:5 odds that he'd be hurt again before the season is over.

Congrats on him getting through today. He looked good in the limited looks I was given by MLB Network.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

The only what if with Sheets is what if he hadn't gotten hurt at the end of his last season with us. We don't have to push Sabathia so much, Gallardo comes back and we head into the playoffs with Gallardo, Sabathia and Sheets. That was a potential world series team that was completely derailed by the injury. The fact we didn't get good picks for Sheets or Sabathia has hurt the team long term as well and is part of why we have this gap that we have right now in minor league talent as the high end picks would be just reaching the majors now.

I am happy for him because he's looking good but i also have that feeling.....what if......

What if the Brewers signed him to an extension and paid him to not pitch for 2 years? There was no way the Brewers could or should have resigned him. Let's see if he even makes it through this season healthy.

no, what if he was healthy in 2008 playoffs...

(and for what i remember, it was not a smart move of the brewers have not him signed but was a bad move from Ben not accepting the arbitration...)

Archived