Brewer Fanatic

Would you believe....Ben Sheets?

splitterpfj
  • Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lack of walks along with K per inning shows he's going right after guys, not that he ever really did, but it just goes to show he's going out there and acting like his old self.

It will be interesting to see how that mindset works when he makes his first big league start.

Lack of walks along with K per inning shows he's going right after guys, not that he ever really did, but it just goes to show he's going out there and acting like his old self.

It will be interesting to see how that mindset works when he makes his first big league start.

I should also mention his 5.06ERA over those two starts.

That could equate to a shelling this Sunday. We shall see. I am rooting for him.

.I should also mention his 5.06ERA over those two starts. That could equate to a shelling this Sunday. We shall see. I am rooting for him.

When you are dealing with such a limited data set (10-2/3 IP), pitch velocity and movement is by far the most important factor to consider. Way behind that is walks and K's. ERA is useless.

Just browsing through his BR stats and dang he was good in his time with the Brewers. 2004 he had an unreal year:

12-14(!!), 2.70 ERA, 237.0 IP, 264 K, .983 WHIP, 8.25 K/BB

And that only got him to 8th in the Cy Young voting!!

I'm as guilty as anyone who bashed him for being "soft" when he was with the crew but man that guy was a workhorse and it's a shame his best years were wasted on such crappy teams.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Just browsing through his BR stats and dang he was good in his time with the Brewers. 2004 he had an unreal year:

12-14(!!), 2.70 ERA, 237.0 IP, 264 K, .983 WHIP, 8.25 K/BB

And that only got him to 8th in the Cy Young voting!!

I'm as guilty as anyone who bashed him for being "soft" when he was with the crew but man that guy was a workhorse and it's a shame his best years were wasted on such crappy teams.

Sheets had an 8.0 WAR in 2004. You're totally rigth - it was unreal. Just staggering when you think about it.

I wish more people would do what you did and go back and look up 2004. That might be the best season that nobody knows about.

He very easily should have been in the Cy Young discussion but instead he was nowhere close because he had 14 losses. I remember playing MVP or the Show or something and having him start was just fun to look at. They always showed his stats prior to the game and I remember he had like 230 ks and only like 30 walks. Truely an incredible season.

My favorite part of Sheets was when they would interview him. He would always talk about hitting instead of pitching. I loved that guy.

I'm thinking the Braves saw something they really liked in his two AA starts and his bullpen session. They have a decent amount of options at SP, and the fact that they're throwing Sheets out there after just two AA starts...

Two things I will always remember about Ben Sheets in Milwaukee:

1) The days when his curveball was really working

2) Every time he attempted to get from the batter's box to 1st base on a ball-in-play.

Sheets was one of those guys who got labelled as "injury-prone", and the label was somehow, impossibly, paradoxically true AND false.

Archived