Brewer Fanatic

an inside look at how the brewers recover milestone homers

patrickgpe

interesting read.

http://onmilwaukee.com/sports/articles/milestonehomeruns.html

i honestly can't see why people would act so hardline upon catching a baseball. its only a baseball and really has no value unless it can be validated by mlb which i don't see them being to interested in doing so. i'd probably ask for an autographed ball in return and be done with it.

If I caught someone's milestone homer, all I'd want is to meet him, shake his hand, and maybe get a picture taken with him. I wouldn't ask for anything. I'd happily accept something in a trade, but I wouldn't ask.

yeah i remember the controversy of the happy youngster a few seasons ago catching some first homer and creating a huge ruckus (want to say it was a marlin), which caused me to want to post the article.

I know players always want the ball (and deserves the ball) but the only way to make it stop is to finally start cut off deals as fans get more and more greedy.

I'm glad to see that most of these players offer up a signed bat. I think that is the least they can do to show their appreciation. If the player didn't offer one, I would suggest that it would make me happy to get one. If the player still refused, I'm not sure I would hold back the ball, but I would think of him as kind of "jerkish". A signed bat is really nothing to these guys even if they are making league minimum.

I do have to say that if it was a big milestone of baseball historical significance and I knew I could get some good money on the open market for the ball, then I would hold out for a bit more (Ok..maybe more than "a bit"). I guess I'm just a little more of a capitalist that others. Usually a player that is involved in such a historical feat is making some good money. If the ball is that important to the player, they should be willing to "compensate" the ball's owner (yes, that fan is the owner) in a manner that shows it.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

I know players always want the ball (and deserves the ball) but the only way to make it stop is to finally start cut off deals as fans get more and more greedy.

I've argued this before, but I'd argue that calling a fan catching a 'personal milestone' ball greedy is a bit of the pot calling the kettle black...considering that ticket/parking/concession prices go up every year, and even the minimum salary guys make more than almost everyone else in the park. It's true that some of these fans may have unrealistic expectations on holding a ball for ransom, but I think that a handshake, picture and autographed ball of the player is getting off a little cheap. It's nice that Green gave the guy a signed bat, so if that made him happy great. Meeting a player and/or getting memorabilia from them really does nothing for me. I'd hold out for some game/ticket/concession vouchers, which would mean very little out of pocket costs for the Brewers.

I've only heard of that scenario being used with the guy who caught Barry Bonds' record home run ball. I really doubt the IRS is going to track down the guy who caught Taylor Green's 1st homer, and doubt they tracked down the Happy Youngster when he caught Jenkins' 200th ball (remember that debacle, too?).
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

If I caught a ball worth keeping I would ask to take BP and shag balls at Miller Park.

This is what I would ask for.

As an FYI. I had my glove on my hand when Green came to the plate. I have been taking my glove all year waiting for #1. It was hit right over my head in the first row. If Green had hit it ~5' shorter I would be shagging balls at MP one day. :(

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

Archived