Brewer Fanatic

Link Report for Mon. 6/11 -- Relentless Rattlers win matinee; Stars eliminated as skid reaches seven

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Monday's Daily Menu:

All times are Central

Nashville: RHP Brian Baker at Memphis (Cardinals), 6:50 PM pre-game, 7:05 gametime

Free Live Audio Link

Jeff Hem is the new play-by-play voice of the Sounds; follow him on Twitter @jeffhempbp; we'll link to his blog updates at On the Air…and Off

MiLB.TV -- for subscribers; all Nashville games, home and away, will be available to watch via MiLB.TV's $39.99 season-long package ($9.99 to pay for a single month). We imagine the audio feed is from the home team. All MiLB.TV details available at the link.

Huntsville: RHP Kyle Heckathorn and TBD (likely RHP Hiram Burgos) in a doubleheader at Mobile (Diamondbacks), 4:50 PM pre-game, 5:05 gametime; each contest slated for seven innings

Free Live Audio Link -- Select the Huntsville feed from the MiLB main audio page

I-Phone friendly audio link

Alex Cohen is the new play-by-play voice of the Stars; follow him on Twitter @alexmcohen. It's fantastic that Huntsville is returning to what will be a traditional broadcast format this year. All games, home and away, are scheduled to be broadcast.

MiLB.TV subsciption note: Huntsville road games in four locales (Mississippi, Tennessee, Jacksonville and Pensacola) will be broadcast.

Brevard County: LHP Jed Bradley at home vs. Lakeland (Tigers), 5:35 PM gametime

Sorry, no audio for this series...

Once again this season, Brevard does not have its own audio coverage. It appears two teams in the Manatees North Division (within which the majority of games are played) have audio, and all six teams in the South Division have audio (at least for their home games), so there will be opportunities to listen to approx. 70% or Brevard's games this season, just all from the opponent's perspective. There are no Florida State League games on MiLB.TV this year.

Wisconsin: RHP David Goforth at home vs. Beloit (Twins), 11:45 AM pre-game, 12:05 PM gametime; expect RHP Chad Pierce to be the tandem

Free Live Audio Link - 1280 AM WNAM

Chris Mehring is back to do his customary fantastic work as the Voice of the Rattlers. Follow him on Twitter @CMehring; we'll link to Chris' infamous blog often -- Rattler Radio.

MiLB.TV -- for subscribers; Wisconsin is one of only two (Great Lakes) Midwest League clubs that have all their home games available via MiLB.TV; Chris' call provides the audio. So for the $39.95 season-long package, fans in Brewer Nation can watch all Sounds games, all Timber Rattlers home games, and 24 Stars' road games (one Helena series this summer, too).

DSL Brewers: at the DSL Tigers, 9:30 AM, although game data won't be available until late afternoon at the earliest

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Brewer Fanatic Staff

To see tweets as to when the Link Report has been technically "completed" with available links, as well as to know when the new day's Report has been posted, please follow @Mass_Haas on Twitter.

We've been telling you for a couple of days, so you alrady know today's Wisconsin matinee is on TWC Sports 32.

Wisconsin Media Notes

Brewer Fanatic Staff
Mobile Press-Register:

Several Huntsville Stars broke the boredom of a rainy day by slip-sliding in the outfield and on the infield tarp before Sunday's game, even videotaping some of it. But it didn't sit well with Mobile groundskeeper Caleb Adams, who brought Huntsville manager Darnell Coles out to show where the outfield grass was damaged. More possible bad blood between these two teams who already had a fracas Saturday night.

Video

Now, boys...

:laughing

Final: Wisconsin 8, Beloit 7

Not a rerun, Rivera gives Wisconsin a walkoff win

Rattlers shortstop drives in winning run for second day in a row

By Chris Mehring / Wisconsin Timber Rattlers

GRAND CHUTE, WI - This is getting to be a habit for Wisconsin Timber Rattlers shortstop Yadiel Rivera. For the second day in a row, Rivera delivered a walkoff hit for the Milwaukee Brewers Midwest League affiliate. On Monday, Rivera lined a single to left to score the winning run and break a 7-7 tie in an 8-7 win over the Beloit Snappers at Time Warner Cable Field. The hit completed a comeback from a 6-2 deficit and a three-game sweep for Wisconsin over their in-state rivals.

Rivera, who hit a three-run, walkoff home run in the bottom of the tenth in Sunday's 5-2 win over the Snapper, picked up on Monday where he left off on Sunday. He tripled to drive in Brandon Macias from first base in his first at bat on Monday. One out later, Nick Ramirez drove in Rivera with a single to left for a 2-0 lead.

Beloit (36-28) stormed back to take the lead in the top of the fifth inning. Rattlers starting pitcher David Goforth walked in the first two runs of the inning. Goforth got the second out of the inning, but gave up a grand slam to Miguel Sano and the Snappers went up 6-2. The home run was the fifteenth of the season for Sano, who leads the league in homers and RBI (49).

Cameron Garfield started Wisconsin's comeback in the bottom of the fifth inning with a two-run home run to left field. That cut Beloit's lead to two runs.

But, Jhon Goncalves hit a solo homer in the top of the seventh inning and made the score 7-4.

The Rattlers (41-23) came right back after the seventh inning stretch. Garfield singled with one out and John Dishon drew a walk against Beloit reliever AJ Achter. Achter got the second out of the inning with a strikeout, but he couldn't get the third out before the Rattlers tied the game. Macias lifted a high fly to left on a 2-1 pitch from Achter. The ball carried over the wall for a three-run homer to tie the game 7-7.

Beloit had an opportunity to take the lead in the top of the ninth. Chad Pierce walked Eddie Rosario with one out and Wisconsin called for closer Seth Harvey to come out of the bullpen. Harvey threw a wild pitch with Drew Leachman at the plate and Rosario took second base. The Rattlers decided to walk Leachman intentionally to bring Sano to the plate.

The strategy worked perfectly as Harvey got Sano to ground into an inning ending 1-6-3 double play to keep the game tied 7-7.

Dishon started the winning rally in the bottom of the ninth. He reached on a bunt single and took second on a wild throw by pitcher Corey Williams. Beloit got the first out on a strikeout to keep Dishon at second base. Then, they elected to walk Macias to set up the double play possibility with Rivera at short.

The strategy backfired on Beloit. Rivera smacked the first pitch from Williams past shortstop Tyler Grimes, who made a diving stab at the ball. The ball rolled into the left-centerfield gap as Dishon raced home with the winning run.

Monday was the last home game of the first half for the Rattlers. Wisconsin improved their home record to 25-10 on the season. Monday was also the seventh walkoff win of the season for the team.

Wisconsin clinched a playoff spot for the first time since 2005 on Sunday. The win on Monday lowered their magic number to win the first half Western Division title to one. A Timber Rattlers win or a Beloit Snappers loss over the final six games of the half gives the Rattlers the division title.

Wisconsin ends the first half of the season with a six game road trip that starts Tuesday night in Clinton. Will West (1-1, 7.63) is the scheduled starting pitcher for the Timber Rattlers. The LumberKings have Brent Shankin (1-2, 3.71) as their scheduled starter. Game time is 7:00pm.

Tune in for the broadcast on AM1280,WNAM or timberrattlers.com starting with the Miller Lite Pregame Show at 6:40pm.

HOME RUNS:

BELOIT:

Miguel Sano (15th, grand slam in 6th inning off David Goforth, 2 out)

Jhon Goncalves (2nd, none on in 7th inning off Chad Pierce, 0 out)

WIS:

Cameron Garfield (1st, 1 on in 5th inning off Jason Wheeler, 0 out)

Brandon Macias (3rd, 2 on in 7th inning off AJ Achter, 2 out)

WP: Seth Harvey (4-0)

LP: Corey Williams (2-2)

TIME: 3:05

ATTN: 2,228

Wisconsin Box Score

Mass used "Relentless" in the thread title and that's the perfect adjective for this team. I thought the game was over twice, in the 5th and then in the 9th but the T-Rats just keep finding ways to win. David Goforth was... well... he's just kind of all over the place, and I didn't notice any appreciable difference from the last time I watched him pitch.

There was a sequence that caused the game to be temporarily delayed for discussion when David threw strike 1, then ball 1 that was almost uncatchable low and away, then strike 2, then ball 2 which was so high Garfield couldn't reign it in even though he jumped, then ball 3 which was in the exact same place as ball 1. The TV crew and scoreboard operator thought the count was 2-2 but the home plate ump and Beloit dugout had it right, I was thinking about how horrible the 3 balls were so I was surprised Erickson even came out of the dugout for discussion. Goforth was especially bad in that 5th inning with the bases loaded, I thought there was a glimmer of hope after the pop up but there was no way he was going to be able to put Sano away with breaking stuff when he wasn't throwing strikes to begin with. Predictably the Grand Slam was an absolute bomb.

Chad Pierce looked pretty good again and would have had an excellent outing without that one mistake pitch. I was completely against the intentional walk in the 9th to put 2 on with Sano at the plate, I was sure Sano was going to put the game out of reach. Seth Harvey made Erickson's strategy payoff yet again, Matt has pushed all the right buttons so far this season.

Cameron Garfield earned a ton of respect from me today, he had to work his butt off behind the plate chasing Goforth's stuff, threw behind 2 runners for huge POs, hit the HR that immediately swung some momentum back to the Rattlers after that horrible 5th, and went 2-4 in the game raising his BA to .310. Yadiel Rivera also had a big day going 3-5 with a RBI producing 3B as well as the walk off single. Brandon Macias had another excellent day going 2-4 with that HR and a BB, Ben McMahan went 2-4 also raising his BA to .310, and finally Jason Rogers smoked a double down the left field line. The T-Rats had 4 starters in the line-up today who finished the game with BAs over .300, I'm not sure that's happened this late in the season since they've been a Brewer's affiliate. The Rattlers played clean defense and turned 3 double plays in addition to the 2 POs from Garfield I mentioned earlier.

Wisconsin Play By Play

I know Chris covered this above but here it is again.

Beloit Top of the 5th

• Matthew Koch singles on a soft line drive to left fielder Ben McMahan.
    Jairo Rodriguez singles on a line drive to left fielder Ben McMahan. Matthew Koch to 2nd.
    Tyler Grimes ground bunts into a force out, first baseman Nick Ramirez to third baseman Brandon Macias. Matthew Koch out at 3rd. Jairo Rodriguez to 2nd. Tyler Grimes to 1st.
    Nate Roberts singles on a ground ball to right fielder John Dishon. Jairo Rodriguez to 3rd. Tyler Grimes to 2nd.
    Jonathan Goncalves walks. Jairo Rodriguez scores. Tyler Grimes to 3rd. Nate Roberts to 2nd.
    Eddie Rosario walks. Tyler Grimes scores. Nate Roberts to 3rd. Jonathan Goncalves to 2nd.
    Drew Leachman pops out to catcher Cameron Garfield in foul territory.
    Miguel Sano hits a grand slam (15) to left field. Nate Roberts scores. Jonathan Goncalves scores. Eddie Rosario scores.
    Pitcher Change: Chad Pierce replaces David Goforth.
    Adam Bryant grounds out, pitcher Chad Pierce to first baseman Nick Ramirez.

After Garfield closed the gap in the 5th, Macias brought WI all the way back in 1 swing.

Wisconsin Bottom of the 7th

• Ben McMahan called out on strikes.
    Cameron Garfield singles on a ground ball to pitcher A. J. Achter.
    John Dishon walks. Cameron Garfield to 2nd.
    Chadwin Stang strikes out swinging.
    Brandon Macias homers (3) on a fly ball to left field. Cameron Garfield scores. John Dishon scores.
    Yadiel Rivera singles on a line drive to left fielder Nate Roberts.
    With Jason Rogers batting, wild pitch by A. Achter, Yadiel Rivera to 2nd.
    With Jason Rogers batting, wild pitch by A. Achter, Yadiel Rivera to 3rd.
    Jason Rogers walks.
    Pitcher Change: Corey Williams replaces A. J. Achter.
    Nick Ramirez strikes out swinging.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

I've been going back and forth in regards to posting this most of the day because it feels like piling on, but here it is.

Top Pitching Performances Over The Weekend, June 8-10

Worst Game Score By A Prospect

Brewers righthander Mark Rogers followed a seven-shutout-innings performance last Tuesday with his worst start of the season yesterday, in which he allowed 10 runs on 11 hits in 3 1/3 innings for Triple-A Nashville. He struck out two, walked four and allowed two home runs.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

As I mentioned a couple of weeks ago, Wily isn't the only AAA starter struggling, there's a whole slew of big name prospects struggling in AAA this season, weird year so far. Of course Peralta gets mentioned at the bottom.

PCL notes: Miller victimized by homers

League has found top Cards prospect's fastball to be hittable

By Chris Jackson / Special to MLB.com

http://www.milb.com/images/2012/06/10/KOxXwE2c.jpg

Shelby Miller is 4-4 with a 5.18 ERA through 12 starts this year for the Redbirds. (Allison Rhoades)

This was not how the season was supposed to go for Shelby Miller.

Players who are ranked as the No. 3 prospect in all of the Minor Leagues are not supposed to get battered around.

They are not supposed to take it on the chin in start after start.

Miller, who also ranks as the Cardinals' top prospect, has gone 4-4 with a 5.18 ERA in 12 starts for the Memphis Redbirds. He was a combined 11-6 with a 2.77 ERA in 25 starts between Double-A Springfield and Class A Advanced Palm Beach last season.

"It's simple, I'm giving up home runs. That's what it's been," Miller said. "That's the really the difference-maker. I've already given up 12 and last year I gave up four.

"I was looking at it earlier, I've given up nine earned runs in my last two starts and eight of them are due to home runs."

Miller said the majority of home runs have come off his fastball in hitters' counts.

"My fastball doesn't really get swung and missed at as much as it was in the lower levels," Miller said. "It's more fouled off. I can throw four of them in a row and it gets fouled off. Eventually the pitch count is going to rise up and I'm going to throw five innings instead of six or seven."

Miller struck out 170 batters in 139 2/3 innings last season and this year he has 63 in 57 1/3, but none of the strikeouts have come as easy in the PCL. He has completed six innings only twice in his last 10 outings.

"That's obviously something we've addressed, (but) you don't really notice it until you keep consistently having short and bad starts," he said.

Memphis manager Ron Warner said it has been tough for Miller to go away from wanting to strike everyone out and instead forcing hitters to put the ball in play.

"We preach pitch-to-contact, so we're not so much concerned about strikeouts and him getting swings and misses," Warner said. "We want him to put it in a good spot, keep it down and get ground balls, keep his pitch count down so he can go deep into games."

Despite the results, Miller has not allowed his struggles to devour all of his confidence.

"Hopefully my next (start) will turn it around," he said. "I think all I need is one momentum changer for my year so far. I think if I get one good start, I've had a couple good ones, but if I have one really good start and I go deep, I think that will boost my confidence a bit more and get the ball rolling."

Miller will get his chance today when he starts the Redbirds' series opener against the visiting Nashville Sounds.

In brief

Trouble brewing: Miller is hardly the only pitching prospect struggling in the PCL as Brewers No. 1 prospect Wily Peralta can attest to. The right-hander has gone 1-7 with a 6.60 ERA in 12 starts for Nashville, prompting Milwaukee to dispatch Minor League pitching instructor Lee Tunnel and player development director Reid Nichols to watch him. Peralta allowed three runs in six innings against Iowa on Thursday, not factoring into the decision after five straight losses.

Gone streaking: The RedHawks set a team record Thursday when they defeated New Orleans, 9-5, for their 14th straight victory in Oklahoma City. The RedHawks had lost three of four in Albuquerque before coming home and reeling off nine consecutive wins starting May 29 to add on to the five straight home wins from May 10-15. Alas, both streaks ended Friday at the hands of the Zephyrs, who prevailed 6-1.

Healthy Heath: Fresno closer Heath Hembree has had a rough year (5.06 ERA), but contracting strep throat, losing eight pounds and missing five days of action recently made things even worse. Hembree bounced back Friday night, retiring the side in order to earn his ninth save as the Grizzlies beat Las Vegas, 5-4. It was his first appearance since giving up three runs in one inning of a 7-1 loss to Salt Lake on June 2.

- Plato

- Plato

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Audio from Memphis — “Mondays with Mike “Guerrero”

Jeff Hem's note -- Here is this week’s installment of “Mondays with Mike” with Sounds manager Mike Guerrero, who discusses the Sounds’ series in Iowa, the consecutive doubleheaders from Friday and Saturday, his impressions of Iowa first baseman and Cubs prospect Anthony Rizzo, his changing of the Sounds’ batting order with Logan Schafer batting 3rd and Caleb Gindl hitting lead-off and the team’s continued struggles to score runs.

Final Game 1: Mobile 6, Huntsville 5 (7 Innings)

Huntsville Game 1 Box Score

Suspensions have been handed out for Saturday's night brawl though both teams are currently appealing so Alex wouldn't give any more details at this time. I would expect that all of the Stars players who were ejected will be getting some time off including Thornburg.

Kyle Heckathorn was alright as he only went 4IP allowing 5H, 1BB, and 0R against 1SO. He only threw 77 pitches, 47 for strikes and exited with a 4-0 lead. Unfortunately Brandon Kintzler and Jesus Sanchez combined for a horrible 6th allowing 5 runs between them though all 5 were charged to Kintzler. Sanchez returned for the 7th, gave up a double, was replaced by Mitch Stetter who allowed the game winning to run score on 2 wild pitches.

Scooter Gennett went 2-3 with a BB and 2 doubles, Kentrail Davis went 2-3 with a triple, Adam Weisenburger went 2-3 with a double in the contest, and Josh Prince added a HR. Gennett was caught stealing but Davis stole his 9th base and had a game saving OF assist. Domnit Bolivar committed 2 errors both fielding, he now has 11 on the season.

Huntsville Game 1 Play By Play

The Stars jumped out early with a big 2nd.

Huntsville Top of the 2nd

• Scott Krieger strikes out swinging.
    Kentrail Davis singles on a line drive to center fielder Evan Frey.
    Domnit Bolivar flies out to right fielder Alfredo Marte.
    With Adam Weisenburger batting, Kentrail Davis steals (9) 2nd base.
    Adam Weisenburger doubles (2) on a line drive to right fielder Alfredo Marte. Kentrail Davis scores.
    Kyle Heckathorn singles on a line drive to center fielder Evan Frey. Adam Weisenburger scores.
    Josh Prince homers (3) on a fly ball to left field. Kyle Heckathorn scores.
    Tommy Manzella reaches on fielding error by shortstop Wladimir Sutil.
    Scooter Gennett walks. Tommy Manzella to 2nd.
    With Hunter Morris batting, wild pitch by David Holmberg, Tommy Manzella to 3rd. Scooter Gennett to 2nd.
    Hunter Morris walks.
    Scott Krieger grounds out, shortstop Wladimir Sutil to first baseman Kyle Greene.

The Stars scored 1 of their own in the 6th then this happened.

Mobile Bottom of the 6th

• Alfredo Marte doubles (15) on a line drive to left fielder Juan Sanchez.
    Rossmel Perez grounds out, shortstop Tommy Manzella to first baseman Hunter Morris. Alfredo Marte to 3rd.
    Kyle Greene out on a sacrifice fly to center fielder Josh Prince. Alfredo Marte scores.
    Wladimir Sutil singles on a line drive to left fielder Juan Sanchez.
    Offensive Substitution: Pinch hitter Daniel Kaczrowski replaces David Holmberg.
    Daniel Kaczrowski singles on a ground ball to second baseman Scooter Gennett. Wladimir Sutil to 2nd.
    Evan Frey triples (2) on a fly ball to center fielder Josh Prince. Wladimir Sutil scores. Daniel Kaczrowski scores.
    David Nick singles on a line drive to right fielder Kentrail Davis. Evan Frey scores.
    Pitcher Change: Jesus Sanchez replaces Brandon Kintzler, batting 5th.
    Matt Davidson walks. David Nick to 2nd.
    With Marc Krauss batting, wild pitch by Jesus Sanchez, David Nick to 3rd. Matt Davidson to 2nd.
    Marc Krauss singles on a line drive to right fielder Kentrail Davis. David Nick scores. Matt Davidson out at home on the throw, right fielder Kentrail Davis to catcher Adam Weisenburger.

No way to sugar coat this, just lousy.

Mobile Bottom of the 7th

• Alfredo Marte doubles (16) on a fly ball to right fielder Kentrail Davis.
    Pitcher Change: Mitch Stetter replaces Jesus Sanchez, batting 5th.
    With Rossmel Perez batting, wild pitch by Mitch Stetter, Alfredo Marte to 3rd.
    With Rossmel Perez batting, wild pitch by Mitch Stetter, Alfredo Marte scores.

- Plato

- Plato

Is it wrong that when I looked at the Nashville box and saw opposing pitcher Shelby Miller had given up 2 more HRs I laughed?

- Plato

- Plato

Lakeland (Tigers) 6 Brevard County 5

Box Score

Brevard with a tough loss in extras, but there is a lot to digest in the box score. Let's start with Jed Bradley. His line shows only 3 ER, but in reality, one of those unearned runs was his fault too due to an error on a pickoff attempt. He also had more walks than K's and more hits than IP. On the bright side, he got 14 GB outs and successfully picked off another. I am really not sure what to make of the "new" Bradley. One thing that crossed my mind; Jimmy Nelson had many lines similar to tonight's by Bradley before he really broke out. Old buddy Eric Arnett appeared again tonight and threw a scoreless inning. His season ERA stands at 2.21. Arnett has been pretty much lights out since the start of May. Casey Medlen continued to show strike out stuff (3 in 2 IP), but he gave up the deciding runs in this one. 36 K and 6 BB in 27 IP for Casey.

Michael Reed (1-3 2 BB) was on base 3 more times today. He is not driving the ball, but it is hard to complain about what this 19 year old is doing. T.J. Mittelstaedt (2-4 BB SB (11)) stayed hot. Reggie Keen also went 2-4 with a BB and a SB (20). Reggie is still struggling with his leg problems but his performance tonight did not reflect it. Cody Hawn went 3-5. 9 BC hits in this one, all singles.

Game Log

Bradley's ill-timed E.

Lakeland Top of the 3rd

Marcus Lemon singles on a ground ball to second baseman Shea Vucinich.

With Adolfo Reina batting, passed ball by Parker Berberet, Marcus Lemon to 2nd.

Adolfo Reina walks.

Dixon Machado out on a sacrifice bunt, first baseman Cody Hawn to second baseman Shea Vucinich. Marcus Lemon to 3rd. Adolfo Reina to 2nd.

Daniel Fields singles on a line drive to left fielder Michael Reed. Marcus Lemon scores. Adolfo Reina scores.

With Cale Iorg batting, throwing error by Jed Bradley on the pickoff attempt, Daniel Fields to 2nd.

Cale Iorg grounds out, second baseman Shea Vucinich to first baseman Cody Hawn. Daniel Fields to 3rd.

Tyler Collins singles on a line drive to left fielder Michael Reed. Daniel Fields scores.

Wade Gaynor flies out to right fielder Franklin Romero Jr.

Cody Hawn's ill-timed E.

Lakeland Top of the 5th

Daniel Fields grounds out to first baseman Cody Hawn.

Cale Iorg doubles (1) on a line drive to center fielder Reggie Keen.

Tyler Collins singles on a line drive to center fielder Reggie Keen. Cale Iorg to 3rd.

With Wade Gaynor batting, Tyler Collins steals (7) 2nd base.

Wade Gaynor walks.

Avisail Garcia out on a sacrifice fly to right fielder Franklin Romero Jr. Cale Iorg scores. Tyler Collins to 3rd.

James Robbins walks. Wade Gaynor to 2nd.

Marcus Lemon reaches on fielding error by first baseman Cody Hawn. Tyler Collins scores. Wade Gaynor to 3rd. James Robbins to 2nd.

Adolfo Reina grounds into a force out, third baseman T. J. Mittelstaedt to second baseman Shea Vucinich. Marcus Lemon out at 2nd.

Double steal.

Brevard County Bottom of the 6th

Reggie Keen singles on a ground ball to center fielder Daniel Fields.

With T. J. Mittelstaedt batting, wild pitch by Brian Stroud, Reggie Keen to 2nd.

T. J. Mittelstaedt walks.

Pitcher Change: Tyler White replaces Brian Stroud.

Mike Walker strikes out swinging.

Shea Vucinich called out on strikes.

With Cody Hawn batting, Reggie Keen steals (20) 3rd base. T. J. Mittelstaedt steals (11) 2nd base.

Cody Hawn flies out to left fielder Tyler Collins.

Final Game 2: Mobile 2, Huntsville 1 (8 Innings)

Huntsville Game 2 Box Score

Well the Stars were swept in the double header losing both games in walk off fashion and swept in the entire 5 game series, yikes. Hiram Burgos pitched a gem, the only problem was that he walked in a run in the 1st or he gets the win in regulation. Hiram topped out at 90 MPH tonight on the stadium gun so his velocity hasn't significantly improved. He went 6IP allowing 1H, 1R, 1WP, 2HBP, and 4BB against 4SO while throwing 47 of 82 pitches for strikes and posting an 8:3 ratio. Dan Merklinger took the loss pitching the final 1.2 allowing a run on 2H, 1HBP, and 3BB against a single strike out.

No Star batter had a multi-hit game but resident singles hitter Scooter Gennett did double, his 3rd of the double header. Tommy Manzella committed his 6th error (throwing) and Anderson De La Rosa also had 2PB bringing his season total to 7. Burgos did pick off 1 runner at first and nearly had another.

Huntsville Game 2 Play By Play

Burgos 1st.

Mobile Bottom of the 1st

• Evan Frey walks.
    With David Nick batting, Hiram Burgos picks off Evan Frey at 1st on throw to Hunter Morris.
    David Nick grounds out, shortstop Tommy Manzella to first baseman Hunter Morris.
    Matt Davidson singles on a line drive to center fielder Josh Prince.
    Marc Krauss hit by pitch. Matt Davidson to 2nd.
    With Alfredo Marte batting, passed ball by Anderson De La Rosa, Matt Davidson to 3rd. Marc Krauss to 2nd.
    Alfredo Marte walks.
    Ed Easley walks. Matt Davidson scores. Marc Krauss to 3rd. Alfredo Marte to 2nd.
    Daniel Kaczrowski grounds out, shortstop Tommy Manzella to first baseman Hunter Morris.

Mobile's game winning rally, Easley actually did Merklinger a favor swinging at ball 4 twice including the pitch that struck him out, which actually hit him.

Mobile Bottom of the 8th

• David Nick walks.
    With Matt Davidson batting, passed ball by Anderson De La Rosa, David Nick to 2nd.
    Matt Davidson hit by pitch.
    Marc Krauss ground bunts into a force out, third baseman Juan Sanchez to shortstop Tommy Manzella. David Nick out at 3rd. Matt Davidson to 3rd. Marc Krauss advances to 2nd, on throwing error by shortstop Tommy Manzella.
    Dan Merklinger intentionally walks Alfredo Marte.
    Ed Easley strikes out swinging.
    Daniel Kaczrowski singles on a ground ball to shortstop Tommy Manzella. Matt Davidson scores. Marc Krauss to 3rd. Alfredo Marte to 2nd.

- Plato

- Plato

'Tees rally but fall in extras to Lakeland

06/11/2012 11:54 PM ET

By Frank Longobardo / Brevard County Manatees

http://www.milb.com/images/2012/06/11/AYDdFJos.jpg

Jed Bradley (L) allowed three earned runs in seven innings and Cody Hawn ® was 3-for-5 in Brevard County's 6-5 loss to Lakeland on Monday night. (Dennis Greenblatt/Hawk-Eye Sports Photography)

VIERA, Fla. - The Brevard County Manatees scored four runs in the eighth inning to tie the game at 5-5, only to fall in ten innings to the Lakeland Flying Tigers by the score of 6-5 on Monday night at Space Coast Stadium.

Reggie Keen led off the eighth inning for the 'Tees (27-36) by drawing a walk off of the new Lakeland pitcher Matt Little. T.J. Mittelstaedt then singled to right as Keen made it to third to put runners on the corners with no outs. An errant pickoff throw by Little to first, allowed Mittelstaedt to reach second and Keen to score to cut the Flying Tigers' (32-29) lead to 5-2.

Mike Walker singled to right to put runners on the corners again with no outs. After Shea Vucinich drew a walk to load the bases, Matt Crouse came in to relief Little for Lakeland. Crouse was greeted rudely as Cody Hawn reached on an infield single to second to plate Mittelstaedt and make it a 5-3 game.

With the bases loaded and still no outs in the inning, Parker Berberet struck out swinging for the first out of the frame. Michael Reed then drew a bases-loaded walk to drive in Walker and make it a one run game. Franklin Romero Jr. would plate Vucinich on a groundout in the hole to the shortstop and the game was now tied.

Nick Shaw stepped up to the plate with runners on second and third with a chance to drive in the go-ahead run but he struck out looking to end the threat and leave the game tied.

Brevard County had a chance to win the game in the bottom of the ninth as Keen led the inning off with a single and then Mittelstaedt reached on a bunt single. But a long, loud fly out by Walker and back-to-back strikeouts by Vucinich and Hawn sent the game to extra innings.

In the top of the tenth, Casey Medlen - who was in his second inning of work - gave up a lead-off single to James Robbins who then moved to second on a sacrifice bunt. Then with Adolfo Reina at the plate, Medlen threw a wild pitch that moved Robbins to third. A couple pitches later threw a second wild pitch to allow Robbins to score the eventual game-winning run.

Southpaw Jed Bradley (4-5, 4.36) got the start for the 'Tees but did not factor in the decision. He went seven innings - his longest outing of the season - and gave up five runs (three earned). The 2011 first round pick yielded nine hits and three walks, while striking out two.

Offensively, Hawn led the way for Brevard County at the plate as he was 3-for-5 with a RBI. Keen and Mittelstaedt also added two hits each. Keen also stole his league-leading 20th base of the season.

The Manatees will being a three-game set with their rivals the Daytona Cubs (28-34), beginning on Tuesday night at 6:35 p.m. The first two games of the series will be at Space Coast Stadium and the final game will be at Jackie Robinson Ballpark.

Brooks Hall (1-2, 4.41) will toe the rubber for the 'Tees on Tuesday night. After going 0-1 with a 5.31 ERA in five May appearances, Hall is 1-0 with a 2.79 ERA in his first two games of June. His ERA is also more than four runs better at Space Coast Stadium this season.

Sounds Hang Ten On Redbirds In Series Opener

06/11/2012 11:10 PM ET

Nashville Sounds

MEMPHIS, Tenn. - The Nashville Sounds handed the cross-state rival Memphis Redbirds a 10-4 defeat on Monday evening at AutoZone Park in the opener of a three-game series.

The 10 runs scored by Nashville (25-40) set a season-high and marked the first time that the Sounds scored double-digit runs this season. Coming into the contest, Nashville was the only PCL team to not to achieve that feat.

First baseman Jordan Brown and right fielder Jay Gibbons each belted two-run homers in the victory for the Sounds, who were previously winless in road series openers (0-9). Seven Sounds had at least one hit, led by two each from center fielder Logan Schafer and third baseman Andy Gonzalez.

With six strikeouts and only one baserunner due to a walk to the pitcher, Redbirds starting pitcher and Cardinals top prospect Shelby Miller was cruising until running into trouble in the top of the fourth inning. After Schafer hit a one-out single, Brown went yard over the right field wall. The long ball was Brown's fourth of the year. Two batters later after Miller hit Gonzalez with a fastball in the ribs, Gibbons crushed a two-run bomb into the Nashville bullpen in right center for a 4-0 lead.

Memphis cut the lead in half in the following frame by loading the bases with two outs thanks to two walks and a fielding error by shortstop Jeff Bianchi. Redbirds Eugenio Velez then doubled off the centerfield wall to plate two runners.

Nashville got the two runs back for a 6-2 lead in the fifth. Left fielder Caleb Gindl and Bianchi led off with singles to remove Miller from the contest before Schafer singled to load the bases. Gonzalez followed with a two-run single to right off reliever Barret Browning.

Memphis cut the lead to 6-4 in the bottom of the seventh inning with two runs off reliever Mike McClendon, who walked Velez before surrendering three consecutive hits to left field, highlighted by a two-run double by Pete Kozma.

Nashville added two more runs in the eighth to push the lead back to four runs at 8-4. Redbirds reliever Clay Zavada walked Gonzalez and hit Gibbons before second baseman Eric Farris lined an RBI double down the left field line. Zacada would then throw a wild pitch to allow Gibbons to trot home and score.

Nashville tacked on two insurance runs in the ninth as Bianchi walked, stole second base, and scored on a Shafer RBI single. Gonzalez followed with a two-out, RBI single to right.

Sounds starter Brian Baker escaped two based-loaded jams while tossing three scoreless innings for a no-decision. The 29-year-old walked a career high six batters and also struck out two with 68 pitches (32 strikes).

Vinnie Chulk (2-0) matched his longest relief outing of the season with three innings of work for the win, allowing two unearned runs on three hits. McClendon gave up two runs on three hits in an inning. Jim Henderson ended the contest with two scoreless frames.

Miller (4-5) was charged with six runs on five hits in four-plus innings for the loss. The prospect struck out seven (including five of his first six) while walking two.

The Sounds and cross-state rival Memphis Redbirds continue with the second game of their three-game series at 7:05 pm CT on Wednesday night at AutoZone Park. Nashville right-hander Wily Peralta (1-7, 6.60) takes the mound against Memphis southpaw Nick Additon.

Box Score

Brian Baker pitched weird, and the fielders probably thought it was pretty annoying too. 3 IP 1 H 0 R 6 BB 2 K 2:3 GO:FO. Vinny Chulk gave up some runs but they were unearned. His ERA is still under 2.00 for the season. Mike McClendon is really still trying to find it. His ERA is back over 5.00 now. Jim Henderson keeps chugging with 2 IP to end this one.

Logan Schafer (2-5 2B) was very good from the 3-hole. The rest of the hitters, including the two 4th inning 2-run bombs off of Shelby Miller, were covered in the game story. Great team effort on offense tonight! First time all season Nashville has scored double digits.

Game Log

Miller started very well.

Nashville Top of the 1st

Caleb Gindl called out on strikes.

Jeff Bianchi strikes out swinging.

Logan Schafer strikes out swinging.

Nashville Top of the 2nd

Jordan Brown flies out to left fielder Mark Hamilton.

Andy Gonzalez strikes out swinging.

Jay Gibbons strikes out swinging.

Nashville Top of the 3rd

Eric Farris pops out to first baseman Jamie Romak.

Jason Jaramillo pops out to third baseman Eugenio Velez in foul territory.

Brian Baker walks.

Caleb Gindl called out on strikes.

Gameday

Rizzo hammers two more longballs

Cubs prospect posts second straight two-homer, four-RBI day

By David Heck / Special to MLB.com

http://www.milb.com/images/2012/06/11/mQ7YDSXj.jpg

Anthony Rizzo has accumulated six multi-homer games this season. (Jamie Harms/MiLB.com)

Anthony Rizzo has clobbered right-handed pitchers for most of his career. But this year, lefties haven't been spared either.

The Cubs' top prospect put together his second straight two-homer game Monday -- with both longballs coming against a southpaw -- though that wasn't quite enough as the Triple-A Iowa Cubs fell to the Omaha Storm Chasers, 9-7.

The game represents Rizzo's sixth multi-homer performance of the season. In his last two contests, the 22-year-old first baseman has gone 6-for-9 with 19 total bases and eight RBIs.

Rizzo got to work early, launching a 2-2 pitch from lefty starter Will Smith for a leadoff homer in the second inning. In the fifth, he did it again, clubbing a 1-0 offering over the right-field wall to plate three more against Smith.

The Florida native added a double in the seventh and was hit by a pitch in the ninth to end his day.

After putting up some of the best numbers in the Pacific Coast League with Tucson last year -- he hit .331 with 26 homers and 101 RBIs in 93 games -- Rizzo has done even more damage for Iowa. He is batting .370 with 22 longballs and 57 RBIs in 59 games.

Rizzo's performance against left-handers has been a noticeable part of his improvement. He recorded just two homers off southpaws last year, but has already accumulated seven this season. Overall, he has increased his OPS against lefties from .802 in 2011 to 1.154 this season.

Rehabbing catcher Salvador Perez led the Storm Chasers' offense by going 3-for-5 with a double and three RBIs. No. 2 Royals prospect Wil Myers put Omaha on top with a two-run homer in the ninth. In 25 games at Triple-A, the 22-year-old outfielder is batting .340 with nine longballs.

- Plato

- Plato

DSL Brewers 11, @DSL Tigers 2

DSL Box

Although it's early in the season, the DSL Brewers have really gotten good pitching thus far. Their team ERA -- 2.54 on MiLB's site at the time of this post -- ranks 7th of 35 DSL teams (yes, some clubs have more than one DSL squad, including the Cubs & Pirates).

Orlando Torrez continued that trend in his first start of the season, just his second professional start. The 20-yo righty, listed at 6'3" and 195 lbs., held down the Tigers bats: 5 IP, 2 H, 1 R/ER, 3 BB, 4 K, 7:3 GO:AO. 17-yo Miguel Diaz pitched well in relief, and I'm guessing he's more piggyback SP than true RP. The righty had appeared in just one other game, back on the 7th, when he allowed only one hit in two shutout innings. Today's line: 3 IP, 2H, 1 R/ER, 2 BB, 4 K, 0:1 GO:AO... and one runner picked off at first. Doni Arias (RHP) pitched a scoreless 9th to secure the win.

The Cerveceritos ran wild on the basepaths today, but almost exclusively in the 1st inning. They took five stolen bags in their half of the first frame, including a steal of home by shortstop Carlos Belonis. Belonis may have scored on a throw down to second on a steal attempt by trail runner Elvis Rubio, but the play was a perfect description of the inning. Belonis stole three bases, two in the first; Francisco Castillo (CF) also nabbed two stolen bases in the first, but didn't add to his total. Belonis's other SB included him advancing to 3B on a throwing error by the catcher. The Brewers finished with seven SBs on the game.

Belonis also had the big hit today, with a bases-loaded-clearing triple in the top of the 9th that opened the scoring in a six-run inning. The Brewers were leading 5-2 prior to that hit, but it put the game out of reach for the Tigers. The triple was Belonis's only hit, but leadoff man Castillo, Alejandro Mendoza, & Marcos Padilla had two hits apiece. Mendoza & Padilla also walked twice. C Carlos Pena made yet another start, going 0-3 with two BBs. Rubio, Castillo, Mendoza, and Raphachel Colatosti each added one RBI.

The Brewers also pulled off an error-free game today, a bit of a rarity in the DSL. Just a good win all around.

DSL P-b-P

The wild first inning --

DSL Brewers Top of the 1st

-Francisco Castillo singles on a ground ball to center fielder Samuel Crafort.

-With Raphachel Colatosti batting, Francisco Castillo steals (6) 2nd base.

-With Raphachel Colatosti batting, Francisco Castillo steals (7) 3rd base.

-Raphachel Colatosti flies out to right fielder Ignacio Valdez.

-Carlos Belonis hit by pitch.

-With Elvis Rubio batting, Carlos Belonis steals (4) 2nd base.

-Elvis Rubio singles on a ground ball to left fielder Felix G. Santana. Francisco Castillo scores. Carlos Belonis to 3rd.

-With Juan Ortiz batting, Carlos Belonis steals (5) home. Elvis Rubio steals (3) 2nd base.

-Juan Ortiz pops out to third baseman Francisco Contreras in foul territory.

-Carlos Pena grounds out to first baseman Lenny Pena.

And salting the earth in the 9th --

DSL Brewers Top of the 9th

-Pitcher Change: Miguel Montero replaces Harold Rosario.

-Marcos Padilla walks.

-Francisco Castillo singles on a ground ball to center fielder Samuel Crafort. Marcos Padilla to 2nd.

-Raphachel Colatosti singles on a ground ball to left fielder Felix G. Santana. Marcos Padilla to 3rd. Francisco Castillo to 2nd.

-Carlos Belonis triples (1) on a fly ball to center fielder Samuel Crafort. Marcos Padilla scores. Francisco Castillo scores. Raphachel Colatosti scores.

-Elvis Rubio walks.

-With Juan Ortiz batting, passed ball by Omar Oses, Carlos Belonis scores. Elvis Rubio to 2nd.

-Juan Ortiz strikes out swinging.

-Carlos Pena walks.

-Pitcher Change: Gregory Morillo replaces Miguel Montero.

-Alejandro Mendoza singles on a ground ball to center fielder Samuel Crafort. Elvis Rubio scores. Carlos Pena to 2nd.

-Kevin Martinez grounds into a force out, second baseman Eurys Felipe to shortstop Gregoris Hidalgo. Carlos Pena to 3rd. Alejandro Mendoza out at 2nd. Kevin Martinez to 1st.

-With Marcos Padilla batting, wild pitch by Gregory Morillo, Carlos Pena scores. Kevin Martinez to 2nd.

-Marcos Padilla flies out to right fielder Ignacio Valdez.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Archived