Brewer Fanatic

Link Report for Sun. 6/10 -- Rattlers clinch playoff spot!

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Sunday's Daily Menu:

All times are Central

Nashville: RHP Mark Rogers at Iowa (Cubs), 12:50 PM pre-game, 1:05 gametime

Free Live Audio Link

Jeff Hem is the new play-by-play voice of the Sounds; follow him on Twitter @jeffhempbp; we'll link to his blog updates at On the Air…and Off

MiLB.TV -- for subscribers; all Nashville games, home and away, will be available to watch via MiLB.TV's $39.99 season-long package ($9.99 to pay for a single month). We imagine the audio feed is from the home team. All MiLB.TV details available at the link.

Huntsville: RHP Kyle Heckathorn at Mobile (Diamondbacks), 1:50 PM pre-game, 2:05 gametime

Free Live Audio Link -- Select the Huntsville feed from the MiLB main audio page

I-Phone friendly audio link

Alex Cohen is the new play-by-play voice of the Stars; follow him on Twitter @alexmcohen. It's fantastic that Huntsville is returning to what will be a traditional broadcast format this year. All games, home and away, are scheduled to be broadcast.

MiLB.TV subsciption note: Huntsville road games in four locales (Mississippi, Tennessee, Jacksonville and Pensacola) will be broadcast.

Brevard County: RHP Taylor Jungmann and TBD (likely RHP Brandon Williamson) in a doubleheader at home vs. Lakeland (Tigers), 3:05 PM gametime; each contest slated for seven innings

Sorry, no audio for this series...

Once again this season, Brevard does not have its own audio coverage. It appears two teams in the Manatees North Division (within which the majority of games are played) have audio, and all six teams in the South Division have audio (at least for their home games), so there will be opportunities to listen to approx. 70% or Brevard's games this season, just all from the opponent's perspective. There are no Florida State League games on MiLB.TV this year.

Wisconsin: RHP Chad Thompson at home vs. Beloit (Twins), 12:45 PM pre-game, 1:05 gametime; expect RHP Chad Pierce to be the tandem

Free Live Audio Link - 1280 AM WNAM

Chris Mehring is back to do his customary fantastic work as the Voice of the Rattlers. Follow him on Twitter @CMehring; we'll link to Chris' infamous blog often -- Rattler Radio.

MiLB.TV -- for subscribers; Wisconsin is one of only two (Great Lakes) Midwest League clubs that have all their home games available via MiLB.TV; Chris' call provides the audio. So for the $39.95 season-long package, fans in Brewer Nation can watch all Sounds games, all Timber Rattlers home games, and 24 Stars' road games (one Helena series this summer, too).

DSL Brewers: at home vs. the DSL Blue Jays, 9:30 AM, although game data won't be available until late afternoon at the earliest

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Normally RHP Mark Williams tandems with Chad Thompson, but Chris indicated Williams is now slated to tandem Monday behind David Goforth.

The DSL Brewers had all Sundays off in 2011 and prior seasons, but with their five-team league set-up in 2012, expect some Sunday games to make up for additional days off mid-week.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

DVR Alert!

Giving you notice as the finale of the Beloit - Wisconsin series will be televised on Time Warner Cable Sports 32 at noon on Monday the 11th while many of you are at your workplace.

If the Rattlers don't clinch at least a wild card spot today (magic number is two as of Sunday AM), then they very well could in this televised game.

Just got back from the Sounds game. I was all set to come on here and defend Rogers after the third inning because his defense really let him down.....then the 4th inning happened. Not a good game. Rogers was between 91-93 on the stadium gun. I could be wrong, but I thought he threw a little harder than that in the past? And the bad news keeps coming, Logan Schafer had to leave the game after fouling a ball off his leg in the third inning. Looked like it was his shin, below his knee. He stayed in the game and singled but could not run at all and had to come out of the game. He was limping to the locker room after the third inning ended. When Schafer left the game, Gindl shifted to center and Jordan Brown moved from first to right field. Brown had one ball that he misplayed that went over his head, and another down the line where he appeared to get lazy when most people around me agreed he could have got to it.

Anyway, not much of a ballgame. The highlight for me was listening to Fred Dabney talking about the Thornburg fight in pre-game. He had some good Turner Ward and Dwayne Hosey stories, and was easily the most entertaining part of the day.

Also I think Anthony Rizzo is ready for Chicago. His first home run might have been wind aided, but his second one was a bomb. It hit halfway up on the scoreboard in right field.

Final: Wisconsin 5, Beloit 2 (10 Innings)

Rivera's tenth inning blast beats Beloit

Rattlers are playoff bound

By Chris Mehring / Wisconsin Timber Rattlers

http://www.milb.com/images/2012/06/10/IzSpcGaZ.jpg

The Timber Rattlers greet Yadiel Rivera at home plate after his walkoff home run on Sunday afternoon. (Ann Mollica/Wisconsin Timber Rattlers)

GRAND CHUTE, WI - Yadiel Rivera couldn't get a bunt down in the bottom of the tenth, but everything turned out okay for the Wisconsin Timber Rattlers Sunday afternoon. Rivera would hit a three-run, walkoff homer to beat the Beloit Snappers 5-2 at Time Warner Cable Field at Fox Cities Stadium. As an added bonus, the Peoria Chiefs beat the Kane County Cougars about 45 minutes after the Rattlers win. Wisconsin clinched their first playoff appearance since 2005 when the Cougars lost that game in Peoria.

Wisconsin (40-23) loaded the bases with no outs in the bottom of the first inning. They scored a run when cleanup hitter Nick Ramirez grounded into a 4-6-3 double play.

Ramirez put the Rattlers up 2-0 in the bottom of the third inning. Jason Rogers dumped a single into right field with two outs to keep the inning alive. Ramirez lined a double to right and Rogers hustled home to beat the throw.

Beloit (36-27) pulled to within a run in the top of the fifth inning on a two-out RBI single by Matt Koch. That was the only run allowed by Rattlers starting pitcher Chad Thompson. The tall right-hander struck out four over five innings before turning the ball over to Mark Williams in the sixth.

Koch tied the game in the seventh with a sacrifice fly, but the Rattlers had a great chance to retake the lead in their next turn at the plate.

Wisconsin loaded the bases with one out in the bottom of the seventh inning and Rivera came to the plate to face Michael Tonkin, a Beloit reliever who had just come into the game. Rivera took a swing at the first pitch he saw from Tonkin and grounded into a 6-4-3 double play to end the inning.

The score stayed tied 2-2 until the bottom of the tenth. Chadwin Stang singled to start the inning against Clint Dempster, the fourth Beloit pitcher of the game. Brandon Macias was asked to bunt Stang over, but the sacrifice was called off with a 3-2 count. Macias would reach and Stang went to second on an error to bring Rivera to the plate.

The Brewers shortstop prospect took a ball, then bunted the next two pitches from Dempster foul. Rivera got his shot at redemption with the bunt play off and he made the most of his chance by lining a home run over the left field wall. The homer, Rivera's seventh of the season, cut Wisconsin's magic number to clinch a playoff spot to one.

The Peoria Chiefs lowered the Rattlers magic number to zero by defeating the Kane County Cougars 4-1 Sunday afternoon in Peoria. The Rattlers have a seven game lead over the Cougars with seven games left in the half. The top two teams in the Western Division at the end of the first half will qualify for the playoffs. Wisconsin holds the tiebreaker over the Cougars.

Wisconsin pushed their lead over Beloit to four games with the win on Sunday. The Timber Rattlers still have some work to do to win the West.

The final game of the series is Monday afternoon at 12:05pm. David Goforth (5-4, 5.25) is the scheduled starting pitcher for the Timber Rattlers. Jason Wheeler (7-2, 3.39) is scheduled to start for Beloit.

Monday is also the final day of Miller Summer Kickoff at Time Warner Cable Field with $1 Miller products and ticket giveaways to Noah's Ark, Summerfest, Country USA, Rock USA, and the EAA Fly-In will be given away during all six games.

The weekday day game also means a Baker Tilly Business Persons Special. Show your business card when you purchase a ticket and for $11.50 you will receive a box seat ticket, a beverage and your choice of brat or hot dog. This special is also available to senior citizens.

As part of B104.7 Qdoba Q*Monday, fans may receive a free ticket to any Monday home game on the 2012 schedule when they purchase a lunch entrée at the Qdoba by the Fox River Mall tomorrow.

If you can't make it out to the ballpark, tune in for the broadcast on AM1280, WNAM or timberrattlers.com starting with the Miller Lite Pregame Show at 11:45am. Monday's game is also available to subscribers of MiLB.TV.

Sports32 will televise Monday's game, too. The television broadcast will be available to subscribers of Time Warner Cable.

HOME RUN:

WIS:

Yadiel Rivera (7th, 2 on in 10th inning off Clinton Dempster, 0 out)

WP: Mark Williams (4-4)

LP: Clinton Dempster (2-3)

TIME: 2:55

ATTN: 3,529

Wisconsin Box Score

I almost waited for the 9 After 9 to post the summary but it's been hard to contain my excitement as I've found myself pulling very hard for Yadiel Rivera lately and I'm not able to exactly explain why. Arcia is my guy (couldn't tell you why I latched onto him either as I'm generally very slow to latch on to players out of the DSL), but Rivera has really grown on me. Yadiel is a pretty bad bunter from what I've seen in person and on TV so I was actually happier when he was going to swing away, and boy what a swing.

Chad Thompson was just what the doctor ordered and proved my fears about the pitching match up today wrong. Chad went 5IP allowing 4H, 1BB, 1WP, and 1ER against 4SO throwing 43 of 70 pitches for strikes and posting a 3:4 ratio. Mark Williams wasn't as sharp as he has been at times but was also extremely effective going 5 innings though he was tagged with a BS (which is just dumb given the circumstances of tandem starters), Mark allowed 6H, 1BB, and 1ER against 1SO throwing 45-72 pitches for strikes while posting 4:6 ratio. The Rattlers played excellent defense behind both pitchers.

Speaking of defense you probably naturally assume it was Rivera, but in this game Brandon Macias was making highlight reel plays and Brandon teamed up with Jason Rogers on a DP that I hope Chris will cover in the 9 After 9. It was just an awesome play at 3rd and a wonderful scoop on the other end.

Yesterday I mentioned Yaddy was coaching 1B with Carlos George, the mental holiday must have been the trick because he was 3-5 today. John Dishon and Chadwin Stang also posted multi-hit games each going 2-3 with Dishon adding a walk. Nick Ramirez and Macias each added a double to the cause. Max Walla who was the other player I mentioned yesterday got his day off today, so hopefully he's a beast in tomorrow afternoon's affair. Dishon and Stang were both picked off going on first movement but the T-Rats once again played clean defense and both Cameron Garfield (atta boy!) and Rafael Neda gunned the only runners who tried to take a base against them.

In the last 2 games I'm not sure Twins uber prospect Miguel Sano has gotten a decent FB to hit, it was a steady diet of off speed this afternoon, we'll see what happens with that tomorrow. He went 4-13 with 2 doubles and HR off Rattler pitching in the series at Beloit last weekend.

Wisconsin Play By Play

Bases loaded and no outs in the 1st, I kept going back to this all game.

Wisconsin Bottom of the 1st

• Brandon Macias doubles (15) on a line drive to center fielder Jonathan Goncalves.
    Yadiel Rivera singles on a ground ball to left fielder Drew Leachman. Brandon Macias to 3rd.
    Jason Rogers walks. Yadiel Rivera to 2nd.
    Nick Ramirez grounds into double play, second baseman Eddie Rosario to shortstop Adam Pettersen to first baseman Adam Bryant. Brandon Macias scores. Yadiel Rivera to 3rd. Jason Rogers out at 2nd.
    Gregory Hopkins strikes out swinging, catcher Matthew Koch to first baseman Adam Bryant.

Great Defense saved runs in the 3rd and 5th!

Beloit Top of the 3rd

• Adam Bryant walks.
    Matthew Koch flies out to center fielder Chadwin Stang.
    Wang-Wei Lin singles on a ground ball to right fielder John Dishon. Adam Bryant to 3rd.
    JaDamion Williams called out on strikes and Adam Bryant caught stealing home, catcher Cameron Garfield to shortstop Yadiel Rivera to catcher Cameron Garfield.

Beloit Top of the 5th

• Drew Leachman doubles (4) on a line drive to left fielder Ben McMahan.
    Jonathan Goncalves singles on a ground ball to pitcher Chad Thompson.
    Adam Bryant grounds into double play, third baseman Brandon Macias to first baseman Jason Rogers. Drew Leachman out at 3rd. Jonathan Goncalves to 2nd.
    Matthew Koch singles on a line drive to center fielder Chadwin Stang. Jonathan Goncalves scores.
    With Wang-Wei Lin batting, wild pitch by Chad Thompson, Matthew Koch to 2nd.
    Wang-Wei Lin grounds out, first baseman Jason Rogers to pitcher Chad Thompson.

Yaddy time!

Wisconsin Bottom of the 10th

• Pitcher Change: Clint Dempster replaces Michael Tonkin.
    Chadwin Stang singles on a ground ball to shortstop Adam Pettersen.
    Brandon Macias reaches on throwing error by second baseman Eddie Rosario. Chadwin Stang to 2nd.
    Yadiel Rivera homers (7) on a fly ball to left field. Chadwin Stang scores. Brandon Macias scores.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Nine after 9 for June 10, 2012

While the 9 is always a must read, today's version is especially good. Rivera foreshadowed his day and the video highlights are just awesome.

And yes I'm still basking in the glow of this victory, it made my day.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

I-Cubs Trounce Sounds In Series Finale, 14-3

06/10/2012 5:09 PM ET

Nashville Sounds

DES MOINES, Iowa - PCL home run leader Anthony Rizzo belted a pair of longballs and drove in four runs to power the Iowa Cubs to a 14-3 triumph over the Nashville Sounds on Sunday afternoon at Principal Park in the finale of a six-game series.

Eight of Iowa's 15 hits on the day went for extra bases, including four home runs. The I-Cubs won four of the six contests in the series against the Sounds (24-40).

Cubs catcher Juan Apodaca joined Rizzo with four RBIs on the day and also homered.

Nashville grabbed a 1-0 lead in the second when Jordan Brown (2-for-3) went station-to-station after leading off the frame with a single against Iowa starter Chris Rusin. Brown moved to second on an Andy Gonzalez single, to third on a Corey Patterson fielder's choice grounder that erased Gonzalez, and scored the afternoon's first run on an Eric Farris groundout to second.

Sounds center fielder Logan Schafer singled in the top of the third inning to extend his hitting streak to six games, matching his longest effort of the year, but was removed from the contest prior to the bottom of that inning as a precaution after suffering an apparent injury to his right knee on a swing during that at-bat.

Iowa rallied to jump in front in the bottom of the third inning against Sounds starter Mark Rogers, opening the frame with five consecutive singles en route to a five-run frame and a 5-1 lead.

Rusin, Matt Tolbert, and Brett Jackson opened the frame with three consecutive singles off the right-hander, the last of which knotted the contest. Rizzo (3-for-5) followed by driving an 0-2 offering to deep right that one-hopped the right field wall for a go-ahead RBI single that brought in Tolbert for a 2-1 I-Cubs advantage. Josh Vitters kept the rally going with a seeing-eye RBI single up the middle that was narrowly missed by shortstop Jeff Bianchi as he roamed behind the second base bag.

Ty Wright (3-for-5) then drilled a grounder to third and Andy Gonzalez threw home to retire Rizzo for the first out of the inning. After Rogers issued a four-pitch walk to Alfredo Amezaga to load the bases with one down, the right-hander recovered to strike out Dave Sappelt before Apodaca dumped a 2-2 breaking ball into right field for an opposite-field, two-run single that increased the Iowa lead to 5-1.

The Cubs put the game out of the reach an inning later with a six-run fourth, upping their lead to 11-1 and chasing Rogers from the contest in the process. The inning was keyed by back-to-back home runs from Jackson (two-run) and Rizzo (solo), the slugger's PCL-leading 19th roundtripper, off Rogers and a two-out, two-run homer from Apodaca off Sounds reliever Johnnie Lowe, the backstop's first big fly of the year.

Rogers (2-4) took the loss after surrendering 10 runs on 11 hits in just 3 1/3 innings for the Sounds, marking the first time in his last nine starts that he failed to pitch at least five innings.

The 10 runs allowed by Rogers were the most permitted by a Sounds pitcher since Chuck Löfgren gave up a ten-spot to Reno on August 4, 2010 at Aces Ballpark.

Sounds first baseman Sean Halton doubled to lead off the sixth inning, extending his season-best hitting streak to eight games, and came plateward when Brown followed with a run-scoring single to center.

Iowa answered the Nashville run with one of its own in the bottom of the sixth when Wright doubled and later scored on a two-out Sappelt two-bagger.

Rizzo struck again for the I-Cubs in the seventh, belting a two-run homer off Lowe to make it a 14-2 contest.

The Sounds closed out the scoring in the ninth when Farris reached on a fielder's choice and later scored on a Hainley Statia groundout.

Rusin (5-4) picked up the victory after holding Nashville to two runs on six hits over seven frames of work.

Sounds outfielder Caleb Gindl went 0-for-5 on the day to being his season-best five-game hitting streak to a close.

The Sounds continue their divisional road trip tomorrow in Memphis, when they'll face the cross-state rival Redbirds for the first time this season in a 7:05 p.m. contest. Right-hander Brian Baker (1-3, 6.51) will man the bump for Nashville and face right-hander Shelby Miller (4-4, 5.18), the St. Louis Cardinals' top prospect.

Box Score

There isn't much else for me to say. What a stinker. Sean Halton came off the bench for Logan Schafer.

· AUDIO: Jordan Brown RBI Single

Game Log

Rizzo's night did not start well. It finished very well from here.

Iowa Bottom of the 1st

Matt Tolbert grounds out, second baseman Eric Farris to first baseman Jordan Brown.

Brett Jackson walks.

Anthony Rizzo strikes out swinging. Brett Jackson steals (12) 2nd base.

Josh Vitters lines out to right fielder Caleb Gindl.

Oh yeah, the stench of burning eye ball. All singles at least.

Iowa Bottom of the 3rd

Defensive switch from right field to center field for Caleb Gindl.

Defensive Substitution: Sean Halton replaces center fielder Logan Schafer, batting 3rd, playing first base.

Defensive switch from first base to right field for Jordan Brown.

Chris Rusin singles on a ground ball to right fielder Jordan Brown.

Matt Tolbert singles on a ground ball to center fielder Caleb Gindl. Chris Rusin to 3rd.

Brett Jackson singles on a line drive to right fielder Jordan Brown. Chris Rusin scores. Matt Tolbert to 3rd.

Anthony Rizzo singles on a sharp line drive to right fielder Jordan Brown. Matt Tolbert scores. Brett Jackson to 3rd.

Josh Vitters singles on a ground ball to center fielder Caleb Gindl. Brett Jackson scores. Anthony Rizzo to 3rd.

Ty Wright reaches on a fielder's choice out, third baseman Andy Gonzalez to catcher Jason Jaramillo. Anthony Rizzo out at home. Josh Vitters to 2nd.

Alfredo Amezaga walks. Josh Vitters to 3rd. Ty Wright to 2nd.

Dave Sappelt strikes out swinging.

Juan Apodaca singles on a line drive to right fielder Jordan Brown. Josh Vitters scores. Ty Wright scores. Alfredo Amezaga to 2nd.

Chris Rusin grounds out, third baseman Andy Gonzalez to first baseman Sean Halton.

Okay, here is a nominee for worst inning of the season.

Iowa Bottom of the 4th

Matt Tolbert walks.

Brett Jackson homers (8) on a fly ball to left center field. Matt Tolbert scores.

Anthony Rizzo homers (19) on a fly ball to center field.

Josh Vitters grounds out, third baseman Andy Gonzalez to first baseman Sean Halton.

Ty Wright singles on a fly ball to right fielder Jordan Brown.

Alfredo Amezaga doubles (5) on a ground ball to right fielder Jordan Brown. Ty Wright to 3rd.

Pitcher Change: Johnnie Lowe replaces Mark Rogers, batting 9th.

With Dave Sappelt batting, wild pitch by Johnnie Lowe, Ty Wright scores. Alfredo Amezaga to 3rd.

Dave Sappelt pops out to catcher Jason Jaramillo in foul territory.

Juan Apodaca homers (1) on a line drive to left center field. Alfredo Amezaga scores.

Chris Rusin strikes out swinging, catcher Jason Jaramillo to first baseman Sean Halton.

Gameday

G1: Brevard County 3 Lakeland (Tigers) 2

Mittelstaedt powers 'Tees to game one win

06/10/2012 11:54 PM ET

By Frank Longobardo / Brevard County Manatees

VIERA, Fla. - T.J. Mittelstaedt's two-out three-run homer in the bottom of the third inning was ultimately the difference as the Brevard County Manatees took game one of Sunday's doubleheader 3-2 from the Lakeland Flying Tigers.

Down 1-0 with runners on second and third in the third, Mittelstaedt took the 3-2 offering from Lakeland's (30-29) Luis Angel Sanz and deposited it over the right field wall to put the 'Tees up 3-1.

Manatees (27-34) starting pitcher Taylor Jungmann (5-4, 3.78) threw a seven-inning complete game as he allowed one earned run - a solo homer in the top of the seventh to make it a 3-2 game - on six hits. He walked one and for the first time this season, the 2011 first round draft pick did not strike out a batter for the first time this season.

With the win, Jungmann improved to 3-1 with a 2.53 ERA in seven home starts in 2012. He has won three of his last four starts and is 2-0 with a 2.63 ERA in his first two starts in the month of June.

Box Score

Taylor Jungmann threw a 7-inning complete game but the line was rather strange. 7 IP 6 H 2 R 1 ER 1 BB 0 K 1 HR 1 WP 10:4 GO:FO. Can somebody explain to me why the Brewers passed on Matt Barnes? I can remember resisting Barnes myself, but that was because the scouting reports were that he was very raw for a college guy. Scouts are not perfect and they may still prove to be correct, but Jungmann and Bradley will forever be compared to Sonny Gray, Chris Reed, Tyler Anderson and Barnes. Those 4 guys were the next set of college pitchers to go in the 1st round in 2011. As it stands today, just ranking their season pitching lines it would look like:

1. Matt Barnes

2. Chris Reed

3. Tyler Anderson

4. Taylor Jungmann

5t. Jed Bradley

5t. Sonny Gray

Of course, the pitcher picked between Jungmann and Bradley may be the best of the lot.

The last thing I will add on our 1st rounders is that it is impressive what they have done in the FSL in their 1st taste of pro ball. With the caliber of college pitching that came out last season, it will be tough for anyone to shine.

Michael Reed hit 2nd in G1 and went 1-3. T.J. Mittelstaedt smacked a 2-out 3-run homer which provided Taylor with all the runs he would need.

Game Log

Jungmann's unearned run.

Lakeland Top of the 4th

Tyler Collins singles on a line drive to right fielder Franklin Romero Jr.

With Wade Gaynor batting, passed ball by Parker Berberet, Tyler Collins to 2nd.

Wade Gaynor singles on a ground ball to shortstop Nick Shaw. Tyler Collins to 3rd.

Avisail Garcia grounds into double play, second baseman Shea Vucinich to shortstop Nick Shaw to first baseman Cody Hawn. Tyler Collins scores. Wade Gaynor out at 2nd.

Marcus Lemon grounds out, shortstop Nick Shaw to first baseman Cody Hawn.

G2: Lakeland (Tigers) 4 Brevard County 3

Brevard edged 4-3 by Lakeland in game two

06/10/2012 11:55 PM ET

By Frank Longobardo / Brevard County Manatees

VIERA, Fla. - The Brevard County Manatees dropped the second game of Sunday's doubleheader 4-3 to the Lakeland Flying Tigers, thanks to a solo homer by Lakeland's Wade Gaynor with two outs in the fifth inning.

Down 3-0, the Manatees (27-35) tied the game with one swing of the bat in the bottom of the third as T.J. Mittelstaedt hit his second three-run homer of the doubleheader. Mittelstaedt was 2-for-3 in the second game and 4-for-6 for the twin bill. In his last ten games, he is hitting .361 (13-for-36) with three home runs and 12 RBI.

Brandon Williamson (1-4, 6.21) got the start for the 'Tees and went five innings and allowed four runs (three earned), including the eventual game winning home run to Gaynor in the fifth. Lakeland (31-29) scattered four hits off of Williamson as he walked three and struck out five.

The Manatees and Flying Tigers will wrap-up their three-game set on Monday night at 6:35 p.m. Jed Bradley (4-5, 4.42) will take the mound for Brevard County and is looking for his first win since May 8.

Box Score

Now it is time for some Bruce Seid love. T.J. Mittelstaedt went 2-3 with another 2-out 3-run bomb in G2. He finished the day 4-6 with 2 HR and he knocked in all of BC's runs on the day. Not bad for a 44th round pick. What a great find for the Brewers as T.J. is on track to see time in the majors. 27 XBH's for T.J. now. The two hits from Mittelstaedt in G2 were the only hits in the game for the Manatees.

Brandon Williamson deserved better, but the free passes were not helping either.

Game Log

Williamson wasted no time getting his 1st K.

Lakeland Top of the 1st

Daniel Fields called out on strikes.

Cale Iorg flies out to right fielder Michael Reed.

Tyler Collins walks.

Wade Gaynor flies out to center fielder Reggie Keen

Micahel Reed, 19 year old spark plug.

Brevard County Bottom of the 3rd

Brent Dean called out on strikes.

Michael Reed walks.

Nick Shaw walks. Michael Reed to 2nd.

Reggie Keen flies out to right fielder Avisail Garcia.

T. J. Mittelstaedt homers (8) on a fly ball to right field. Michael Reed scores. Nick Shaw scores.

Mike Walker flies out to left fielder Tyler Collins.

Can somebody explain to me why the Brewers passed on Matt Barnes? I can remember resisting Barnes myself, but that was because the scouting reports were that he was very raw for a college guy. Scouts are not perfect and they may still prove to be correct, but Jungmann and Bradley will forever be compared to Sonny Gray, Chris Reed, Tyler Anderson and Barnes. Those 4 guys were the next set of college pitchers to go in the 1st round in 2011. As it stands today, just ranking their season pitching lines it would look like:

1. Matt Barnes

2. Chris Reed

3. Tyler Anderson

4. Taylor Jungmann

5t. Jed Bradley

5t. Sonny Gray

Of course, the pitcher picked between Jungmann and Bradley may be the best of the lot.

No doubt Fernandez has been getting a ton of pub but to answer your question in reading what Seid has said since the draft it appears that Brewers were looking for a RHP and LHP pitcher. For the RHP they zeroed on Jungmann prior to the draft and for the LHP they did the same with Bradley. Seid discussed the Bradley/Reed debate here this winter, it was easier to find the fangraphs article than the post here on the board with it and that discussion.

I think my preference for ceiling over floor is pretty obvious by the way I've posted about prospects/Melvin/trades since 2008, but we do need some high floor players in the system as well, the system needs to be well rounded. If I were the SD I'm just not sure I could bring myself to take those guys prior to round 10 and in doing such I would miss out on a ton of productive MLB players. I thought on draft day that both Brewers picks were pretty "safe" in that they were likely to contribute to MLB and had decent upside, but I don't think either pick was one that I would have made in that position. In terms of the players drafted around them it will be pretty interesting to see who makes it to MLB and how they ultimately perform.

I think given the Brewer's history with college pitchers who were pegged as needing significant polish it's pretty understandable why they drafted the way they did.

I think objectively the 3 biggest questions right now out of that entire group of players is how Jungmann's stuff will play at higher levels, what's going on Bradley's velocity/lack of results, and Grey's overall performance. Since Bradley's game on 4/23 when he gave up his first runs of the season he's made 8 starts and only posted an ERA under 4 in 2 of them. Sonny Grey is getting a bit of a pass from the prospect gurus because he jumped right into AA but Oakland's prospect followers have to be concerned, I would be with such a high BB rate and low K rate. Not that Bradley's K/9 of 6.4 is awe inspiring, but his BB rate is still solid, he's just getting hit hard with 66 hits allowed in 59 innings. Bradley only had 10 hits allowed in his first 19 innings pitched this season, it's been quite the negative turn around.

- Plato

- Plato

yuck.

Rizzo, Jackson blasts drive I-Cubs rout

Top Chicago prospects combine for three homers, seven RBIs

By Sam Dykstra / Special to MLB.com

http://www.milb.com/images/2012/06/10/Ww6g9LBx.jpg

Anthony Rizzo and Brett Jackson are MLB.com's No. 32 and 33 prospects. (Allison Rhoades/MiLB.com)

The Iowa Cubs knew they had something special at the beginning of the season when Anthony Rizzo and Brett Jackson joined the Triple-A squad's roster. Sunday provided a glimpse of just how special the pairing could be.

Rizzo homered twice and plated four runs while Jackson went deep and added three RBIs to fuel the Cubs' 14-3 win over Nashville in front of 7,042 at Principal Park.

The Cubs' top two prospects hit RBI singles in a five-run third inning and kicked off a six-run fourth with back-to-back shots. Rizzo scored Jackson with another home run that struck the right-field scoreboard in the seventh inning to wrap up Iowa's scoring.

"I hit that one well," Rizzo told The Des Moines Register. "I don't know if I've hit many balls harder than that one."

Sunday marked Rizzo's fifth multiple home run game of the season. The 22-year-old slugger, who finished 3-for-5, leads the Pacific Coast League and ranks third in the Minors with 20 homers on the season. His 1.143 OPS leads all Minor Leaguers.

While Rizzo has by all accounts met or even exceeded expectations, Jackson has not done quite as well. After going 2-for-4 with a stolen base Sunday, the outfielder is batting .265 with eight home runs and 12 steals through 60 games for Iowa this season. Those numbers are more or less are on par with the .274 average, 20 home runs and 21 steals through 115 games between Iowa and Double-A Tennessee in 2011.

Jackson and Rizzo weren't the only big contributors to the Cubs offense on Sunday. Juan Apodaca was 2-for-4 with a home run and four RBIs. The two-run blast in the fourth inning was the catcher's first homer since Sept. 6, 2010.

Iowa starter Chris Rusin surrendered two earned runs on six hits through seven innings and improved to 5-4 with a 3.81 ERA.

"Rusin was outstanding," Rizzo told the newspaper. "The wind was blowing out hard, but he kept the ball down and in the park."

After ending a six-game losing streak with a victory Thursday, the Cubs won four out of the six games in their series with the Sounds, which featured back-to-back doubleheaders Friday and Saturday. Their record stands at 29-35, 10 games behind Omaha for first place in the PCL American Northern Division.

But the current record didn't seem to bother the team's first baseman.

"We just took four of the last six against Nashville," Rizzo said. "We've got some momentum."

- Plato

- Plato

I was wondering when Taveras would get some love again, after over 240 PAs he's still sporting a .581 SLG. There is video in the middle of the story at the link. Also odd image choice no?

Taveras tops Springfield's hit parade

Cardinals score 20 runs on franchise-record 24 hits in rout

By Jonathan Raymond / Special to MLB.com

http://www.milb.com/images/2012/06/11/FLvFbpuF.jpg

Oscar Taveras had four of Springfield's franchise-record 24 hits Sunday. (Shawn E. Davis/MiLB.com)

Things went so well offensively for Double-A Springfield on Sunday, that even if you took away Oscar Taveras' team-leading four hits from the Cardinals' output, they still would have had 20 to fall back on.

St. Louis' No. 3 prospect went 4-for-5 with a double and two runs scored, adding to Springfield's franchise-record 24 hits for a franchise-record tying 20 runs in a 20-3 rout of Arkansas.

Taveras raised his average to .323 with the four-hit effort. After Sunday's game, he also sports a .376 on-base percentage and a .581 slugging percentage with 12 home runs this season. The Dominican Republic native has 42 RBIs for Springfield.

The output from Taveras came nearly one week after the outfielder went 5-for-5 with a home run June 4 against Corpus Christi.

MLB.com's No. 93 overall prospect obviously wasn't the only one to get in on the action against Arkansas pitching, though. The Cards' No. 4 prospect, Kolten Wong, went 2-for-2 with his sixth home run of the season and two RBIs out of the leadoff spot.

First baseman Xavier Scruggs homered twice, going 3-for-5 with four runs scored and five RBIs. Left fielder Chris Swauger and center fielder Adam Melker also both homered. Melker added two doubles, going 3-for-5 with three RBIs, while Swauger also went 3-for-5, driving in two runs.

Catcher Audry Perez rounded out the three-hit efforts at 3-for-5 with two runs scored. In all, each of Springfield's nine starters and two pinch-hitters managed to get at least one hit, while there were seven multi-hit efforts throughout the Cards' lineup. Five batters posted multi-RBI games and the team hit five home runs in total.

Springfield's pitching did its part, as well, with starter Tyler Lyons (5-4) surrendering three runs on seven hits and a walk with three strikeouts over six innings to earn the win. Reliever Kevin Thomas tossed the next two frames, not allowing a hit or a walk while striking out two. Chris Corrigan finished things off with a scoreless ninth.

- Plato

- Plato

@DSL Brewers 5, DSL Blue Jays 2

DSL Box

It's really late, so I'm going to keep this brief.

The strong Cerveceritos pitching continued today, as starter Milton Gomez combined with reliever Juan Santiago to hold the DSL Jays to 7 hits & just the two runs. The Jays scored both runs with Gomez on the mound in the 5th, but only one of the two runs was earned. Gomez finished with a line of 5 IP, 6 H, 2 R/1 ER, 2 BB, 4 K, 5 GO/5 FO. Santiago went 4 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 5 BB, 5 K, 4 GO/1 FO.

Centerfielder & leadoff man Francisco Castillo paced the DSL Crew with two hits, while 2-hitter/3B Raphachel Colatosti dealt a decisive blow late with a 2-out, 2 RBI double to cap off the Cerviceritos' 3-run 8th inning.

After the Jays took a 2-0 lead in the 5th, the Crew fought back with single runs in their halves of the 5th & 7th innings to tie. Once the dust had settled after the bottom of the 8th, however, the Crew had scored all they'd need to go on to win.

DSL PbP

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Taylor Jungmann threw a 7-inning complete game but the line was rather strange. 7 IP 6 H 2 R 1 ER 1 BB 0 K 1 HR 1 WP 10:4 GO:FO. Can somebody explain to me why the Brewers passed on Matt Barnes? I can remember resisting Barnes myself, but that was because the scouting reports were that he was very raw for a college guy. Scouts are not perfect and they may still prove to be correct, but Jungmann and Bradley will forever be compared to Sonny Gray, Chris Reed, Tyler Anderson and Barnes. Those 4 guys were the next set of college pitchers to go in the 1st round in 2011. As it stands today, just ranking their season pitching lines it would look like:

1. Matt Barnes

2. Chris Reed

3. Tyler Anderson

4. Taylor Jungmann

5t. Jed Bradley

5t. Sonny Gray

The last thing I will add on our 1st rounders is that it is impressive what they have done in the FSL in their 1st taste of pro ball. With the caliber of college pitching that came out last season, it will be tough for anyone to shine.

I don't see why Andersen's line would trump Jungman's thus far.

Obviously I'd love to see Barnes like numbers(IIRC it was Barnes and Grey and not in that order that everyone wanted at 12 and 15), but in a minor league pitchers first year in the system teams often will try to reign in a pitcher. Have them throw their best pitch less and have them try to develop a 3rd or 4th pitch by throwing those in big spots. I don't know, just throwing that out there.

If we had it to do over again, I'm sure Fernandez and Barnes would have been our picks, but we don't get them over, we get the two we've got, and I still think they should be pretty good.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Can we just move Rogers to the bullpen full time already?

Meh, why? Does starting hurt his progression as a reliever at all?

And if reports are true and his defense killed him in the 3rd inning...well, we all know how numbers can be skewed in the minors. And it was the first time he hasn't gone 5 innings.

I'm sure he'll end up there. But that doesn't mean we need to change anything right now.

Unless you DO believe his pitching as a reliever is stunted by pitching out of the rotation.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Mobile Press-Register:

Several Huntsville Stars broke the boredom of a rainy day by slip-sliding in the outfield and on the infield tarp before Sunday's game, even videotaping some of it. But it didn't sit well with Mobile groundskeeper Caleb Adams, who brought Huntsville manager Darnell Coles out to show where the outfield grass was damaged. More possible bad blood between these two teams who already had a fracas Saturday night.

Brewer Fanatic Staff
Can we just move Rogers to the bullpen full time already?

That was a stinker, although the first big inning included some dribblers, dinks, and dunks. From the Nashville pre-game media notes:

MARK TIME: Right-hander Mark Rogers -- who has tossed quality-start victories in two of his last three outings -- has allowed more than three earned runs in only two of his 10 outings this season. He is 2-1 with a 2.87 ERA (10 ER / 31.1 IP) while holding opponents to a .252 average in six home starts at Greer Stadium, but is just 0-2 with a 7.11 ERA (15 ER / 19.0 IP) and .312 average against in four road outings. Rogers’ recent quality starts are two of only four tossed by Nashville hurlers in the last 21 games.

But yes, given that he's out of options, one can easily envision Mark finally being part of another organization in 2013.

I don't see why Andersen's line would trump Jungman's thus far.

I could concede this. I thought Anderson was in A+, but he is in A. Still, at best Jungmann is tied with Anderson in my completely useless rankings. I still like Jungmann's stuff much better than Anderson's. I wonder if Taylor still half-strides and does the head jerk?

Archived