Brewer Fanatic

Russell Branyan Will Never Die

Long Live 3TO! He's more useful than Conrad and Ishikawa

And the next 3 series he'll probably follow it up with 1 for 44 with 24 K's.

And he's more useful than Conrad how? Conrad can play 3 positions, Branyan can hardly play one and Ishikawa played well enough this year that I'm fine with him on the bench over a guy we have very little use for.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

And the next 3 series he'll probably follow it up with 1 for a 4 for 44 with 24 K's.

And he's more useful than Conrad how? Conrad can play 3 positions, Branyan can hardly play one and Ishikawa played well enough this year that I'm fine with him on the bench over a guy we have very little use for.

It's bf.net meme to worship Branyan. So, you can put down your internet night stick for now.

Would have been nice to have him before, but with Aoki playing well we now aren't in need of a 1st baseman as much. Of course, he'd be useful in the next two weeks with a DH. it's amazing how he's never found a home in baseball because of two issues--health and strikeouts. He has almost 200 homers. He was adequate defensively at 3b before his back problems. What's interesting is he has only about 30 fewer home runs (in 1800 fewer plate appearances) than our former OF Geoff Jenkins, with one point separating them in career OPS+. Yet Jenkins made more in some years than Branyan has made in his entire career. He's nice depth and a pinch hitting option. For a struggling team with a DH, he'd be the cheapest source of home runs in the league.

edit: I was indifferent for a long time, but the arguments won me over that he doesn't deserve his reputations for being a has-been (perhaps now...but 3-4 years ago people treated him like "that ship has sailed"). Has there been a more polarizing player on brewerfan? Keith Ginter? Ronnie Belliard? Carlos Gomez?

Edit2: 200 homers, not k's

And the next 3 series he'll probably follow it up with 1 for a 4 for 44 with 24 K's.

It's bf.net meme to worship Branyan. So, you can put down your internet night stick for now.

Alllllright. I CAN see how arguing how in our current state that Conrad is a better option than Branyan and how he's an extreme hot/cold hitter would be out of line.

If it was just "Look at what Branyan has done," well then hey, he's a cult hero here. When they say we should sign him over this player...well, I'd disagree.

Sorry for crossing the line and racking your knuckles with the nightstick however...

I was at the game on Tuesday. We only stayed for five innings because some idiot (me) forgot to warm my daughter's bottle. Branyan still looks like a beast, and I was thrilled to be able to watch him both strike out and walk. Unfortunately he didn't go deep in that game. Chris Dickerson led off. He's feeling much more confident now that he has been removed from RockCo's avatar.

Would have been nice to have him before, but with Aoki playing well we now aren't in need of a 1st baseman as much. Of course, he'd be useful in the next two weeks with a DH. it's amazing how he's never found a home in baseball because of two issues--health and strikeouts. He has almost 200 homers. He was adequate defensively at 3b before his back problems. What's interesting is he has only about 30 fewer home runs (in 1800 fewer plate appearances) than our former OF Geoff Jenkins, with one point separating them in career OPS+. Yet Jenkins made more in some years than Branyan has made in his entire career. He's nice depth and a pinch hitting option. For a struggling team with a DH, he'd be the cheapest source of home runs in the league.

edit: I was indifferent for a long time, but the arguments won me over that he doesn't deserve his reputations for being a has-been (perhaps now...but 3-4 years ago people treated him like "that ship has sailed"). Has there been a more polarizing player on brewerfan? Keith Ginter? Ronnie Belliard? Carlos Gomez?

Edit2: 200 homers, not k's

Yeah, he'd be great to bring on the roster as a DH for interleague.

And is Carlos Gomez that polarizing? I was advocating FOR him and even I highly-HIGHLY doubt that he's ever going to be the .285/.330 hitter that I proposed if he could learn to lay off the early sliders early out of the zone that might lead to more power....

I said it was a loooong shot, but I'd noticed a difference in his approach. I don't think there was more than 2-3 people who agreed with me...even when I was just saying it's still POSSIBLE at his age though unlikely.

People have loved Branyan on here for years. If we were in the AL, he'd be a nice DH option for our budget.

But for the short interleague series, I think the Brewers try and go with the three CF'ers and DH Braun. Which I think is only logical as he's NOT himself right now. Neither is Gomez, but as much as I still think it's possible that he COULD still fulfill his potential, Braun's far more important.

The one change I'd make is play Gomez in RF so he doesn't have to do as much running and doesn't have to open it up as much with his hammy.

• 2 months later...

Archived