Brewer Fanatic

Link Report for Thurs. 6/7 -- Peralta better, but McClendon victimized; Manatees win late, Rattlers lose late

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Thursday's Daily Menu:

All times are Central

Nashville: RHP Wily Peralta at Iowa (Cubs), 6:50 PM pre-game, 7:05 gametime

Free Live Audio Link

Jeff Hem is the new play-by-play voice of the Sounds; follow him on Twitter @jeffhempbp; we'll link to his blog updates at On the Air…and Off

MiLB.TV -- for subscribers; all Nashville games, home and away, will be available to watch via MiLB.TV's $39.99 season-long package ($9.99 to pay for a single month). We imagine the audio feed is from the home team. All MiLB.TV details available at the link.

Huntsville: RHP Josh Stinson at Mobile (Diamondbacks), 6:50 PM pre-game, 7:05 gametime

Free Live Audio Link -- Select the Huntsville feed from the MiLB main audio page

I-Phone friendly audio link

Alex Cohen is the new play-by-play voice of the Stars; follow him on Twitter @alexmcohen. It's fantastic that Huntsville is returning to what will be a traditional broadcast format this year. All games, home and away, are scheduled to be broadcast.

MiLB.TV subsciption note: Huntsville road games in four locales (Mississippi, Tennessee, Jacksonville and Pensacola) will be broadcast.

Brevard County: RHP Brooks Hall at Jupiter (Marlins), 5:35 PM gametime

Free Live Audio Link -- Select the Jupiter feed from the MiLB main audio page

Once again this season, Brevard does not have its own audio coverage. It appears two teams in the Manatees North Division (within which the majority of games are played) have audio, and all six teams in the South Division have audio (at least for their home games), so there will be opportunities to listen to approx. 70% or Brevard's games this season, just all from the opponent's perspective. There are no Florida State League games on MiLB.TV this year.

Wisconsin: LHP Will West at home vs. Clinton (Mariners), 6:45 PM pre-game, 7:05 gametime; expect RHP Jacob Barnes to appear in a tandem role

Free Live Audio Link - 1280 AM WNAM

Chris Mehring is back to do his customary fantastic work as the Voice of the Rattlers. Follow him on Twitter @CMehring; we'll link to Chris' infamous blog often -- Rattler Radio.

MiLB.TV -- for subscribers; Wisconsin is one of only two (Great Lakes) Midwest League clubs that have all their home games available via MiLB.TV; Chris' call provides the audio. So for the $39.95 season-long package, fans in Brewer Nation can watch all Sounds games, all Timber Rattlers home games, and 24 Stars' road games (one Helena series this summer, too).

DSL Brewers: at the DSL Braves, 9:30 AM, although game data won't be available until late afternoon at the earliest

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Remember when the Brewers couldn't sway baseball / football product Jarrad Page away from UCLA with their 5th round pick in 2002?

Page went on to have a journeyman career as an NFL safety, with some solid early years with the Chiefs.

At age 27, Page signed with the Dodgers this spring, but subsequently had a dreadful 25 AB's at High-A, and has now been released.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Catching up from Wed. night with this Thursday article:

Mississippi gets the best of Stars, 1-0; Huntsville falls four games behind in pennant race

By Mark McCarter, The Huntsville Times

HUNTSVILLE, Alabama -- When Jesus Sanchez arrived on the mound for the eighth inning Wednesday night, it was exactly as advertised.

"He just comes right at you," said Huntsville manager Darnell Coles. "He's not messing around. It's his best against your best, and may the best man win."

On this occasion, however, the Mississippi Braves got the best of Sanchez and the Huntsville Stars. A pair of singles sandwiched around a sacrifice bunt gave the Braves a 1-0 victory over Huntsville. Phil Gosselin hit a hanging 1-2 slider to center for the RBI, one of the rare mistake pitches by Sanchez all season.

It was the second straight anemic performance by the Huntsville offense, which was held to six hits by three Mississippi pitchers, with starter David Hale striking out 11 in 72/3 innings. The Stars have scored one run in their last two games after registering 24 in the first four of the series.

Huntsville fell to four games behind Jackson in the Southern League North standings, with 10 games remaining in the half. Said Coles, "Now we've just got to go to Mobile (where they open a five-game series tonight) and turn the page."

Sanchez, now 3-1 and with his ERA just barely creeping back over 1.00, was one of five Huntsville Stars named to participate in the June 19 Southern League All-Star Game in Kodak, Tenn.

He'll be joined by starting pitchers Evan Anundsen and Tyler Thornburg, first baseman Hunter Morris and second baseman Scooter Gennett.

"All of them are deserving of the honor," Coles said. "Evan's pitched great. Thornburg leads the league in a few categories and that speaks for itself.

"Scooter has played phenomenally offensively and defensively. He's just a baseball player," Coles continued. "He's one of those kids, no matter what sport he's playing, he'll figure out how to play it. Hunter, you see him hitting, but he's a much better defender too. He's getting more comfortable, starting to be more fluid. He's making strides we want to see."

Sanchez, in a word, has been "phenomenal," said Coles, who called him "our best reliever."

This, a year after he was one of Huntsville's more mediocre starters.

He was 4-7 with a 4.91 ERA, allowing opponents a .271 average. He started in 14 of his 30 appearances.

"It's two totally different things," Coles said. "When you're starting, in a lot of instances, you're trying to figure out a way to get through games, not necessarily through innings. You can give a little more max effort (as a reliever.)"

"My focus (is the difference)," Sanchez said. "Physically, I worked very hard in the off-season. I trained myself to be ready and put myself in a good position when the season started."

He played winter ball in his hometown of Valencia, Venezuela, the country's third-largest city. Among his teammates, from whom he gleaned much advice, was Jerome Williams, a starting pitcher with the Anaheim Angels. Playing with and against major league-level talent was an important confidence boost, Sanchez said.

Making the All-Star team "is a pleasure and an honor," Sanchez said. When he learned the news Wednesday, he quickly called family members.

His family is still in Venezuela, a country "with a lot of problems," as he noted. "It's different. It's a little bit dangerous there.

"I worry about that. It's getting worse every day. I don't want anything bad happening to my family, to people that I know."

Sanchez wants to continue climbing baseball's ladder, admitting, "I want to have a nice life."

But there are even more important factors.

"I don't want to let (my family) down," he said. "I think about that a lot. It's not like pressure. It's more like inspiration. I try to take it in a good way, not in a bad way."

The Huntsville Times/Glenn Baeske Photo

From left, Huntsville's All-Star Stars are Jesus Sanchez, Hunter Morris, Scooter Gennett, Evan Anundsen, and Tyler Thornburg

http://media.al.com/sports_impact/photo/11142015-large.jpg

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Congrats to future Milwaukee Brewers (aren't they all?) who made their pro debuts tonight -- 17-year-old Cervecerito RHP's Miguel Diaz and Junior Flores, each with scoreless outings.

(We'll pull up this archive in 5-6 years and say, wow, there was the starting point :)).

Meanwhile, the world must know about Gian Rizzo.

Full DSL update later tonight from TLB, or myself in the AM. Thanks as always to our box score analysts!

Late I-Cubs Homer Sinks Sounds, 5-4

06/07/2012 10:42 PM ET

Nashville Sounds

DES MOINES, Iowa - Left-fielder Ty Wright belted a go-ahead, two-run home run in the bottom of the eighth inning to give the Iowa Cubs a 5-4 victory over the Nashville Sounds in the opener of a six-game series on Thursday night at Principal Park.

With the Sounds leading 4-3 entering the bottom of the eighth, Josh Vitters hit a one-out single off Mike McClendon (2-3) before Wright went deep on the following play.

The back-and-forth contest had four lead changes and was Nashville's (22-37) eighth last at-bat loss of the season.

Before the loss, the Sounds were 7-0 when blowing a save this season and had not lost a game when leading after the 6th, 7th, or 8th inning, the only PCL club with that distinction.

Center fielder Logan Schafer had two hits including a double. Right field Jay Gibbons recorded his first multiple-hit effort with two hits. Jason Jaramillo extended his season-high hitting streak to six games with a hit.

The Sounds took an early 1-0 lead in the visiting half of the second on an unearned run on Iowa starting pitcher Chris Volstad. Gibbons hit a two-out single to left, moved to second on a fielding error, and scored as Jaramillo hit a bloop single to centerfield. The RBI by Jaramillo was his first of the season for the Sounds.

The Cubs came back and scored three unanswered runs for a 3-1 lead, beginning with their first run in the bottom of the second thanks Dave Sappelt RBI single.

The Cubs started their next inning with runners on second and third and no out before moving ahead at 3-1. Anthony Rizzo singled in their first run on an infield groundout before Vitters hit a two-out double to deep left.

Nashville tied the game 3-3 in the top of the sixth on Jordan Brown's third homer of the year. After Schafer singled, Brown blasted a two-run shot to left field that was originally ruled a double. The umpires would end up changing the call to home run, which caused Iowa manager Dave Bialas to argue and get ejected.

Nashville went back ahead at 4-3 in the next frame. Pinch hitter Caleb Gindl smoked a double off the outfield wall and would score the go-ahead run two batters later when shortstop Jeff Bianchi lined a two-out, RBI two-bagger to right field.

Sounds starter Wily Peralta took a no-decision, allowing three runs on seven hits while striking out five in six strong innings. The 23-year-old threw a season-high 111 pitches (61 strikes) for his fifth quality start.

Volstad gave up four runs (three earned) on eight hits while striking out seven in seven innings pitched. Jeff Beliveau (2-3) picked up the victory with a scoreless frame. Scott Maine worked around a walk to convert his fourth save.

The Sounds and division-rival Iowa Cubs continue their six-game series with a double-header on Friday beginning at 5:05 pm CT at Principal Park. Nashville right-hander Claudio Vargas (1-0, 4.30) will toe the rubber against Iowa righty Rodrigo Lopez (1-0, 2.52) in the opener. Right-hander Donovan Hand (1-0, 4.32) will start the night cap for the Sounds against Iowa left-hander Ryan Rowland-Smith (2-0, 5.74).

Box Score

Wily Peralta's start was termed 'strong' in the game story, but color me unimpressed. 111 pitches in 6 innings is pretty inefficient. He gave up more hits than IP. He walked 2 unintentionally and struck out 3. He hit a guy. He threw a wild pitch. The 7:2 GO:FO ratio is his only redeeming peripheral. But, hey, this start was better than the last. Mike McClendon really botched the 8th inning costing Peralta a feel good victory.

3-hitter Logan Schafer went 2-4 with a 2B. Caleb Gindl pinch hit for Peralta and finished 1-2 with a 2B. Peralta is hitting .313 this season. Gindl is hitting .209. Sean Halton's play has been sporadic. He came into today hitting .276/.362/.434 and left with a BB in his only PA.

The Josh Hamilton of PCL baseball is Anthony Rizzo. You will be hard pressed to find a better stat line in the minors. One of the only knocks on Rizzo is that his bat speed is fringe average to average. It actually reminds me of what people say about Hunter Morris. Now Morris is no Rizzo, but I think they are comparable.

Game Log

Wily slips out of this jam.

Iowa Bottom of the 5th

Brett Jackson grounds out, second baseman Eric Farris to first baseman Jordan Brown.

Matt Tolbert flies out to right fielder Jay Gibbons.

Luis Valbuena doubles (14) on a line drive to center fielder Logan Schafer.

Wily Peralta intentionally walks Anthony Rizzo.

With Josh Vitters batting, wild pitch by Wily Peralta, Luis Valbuena to 3rd. Anthony Rizzo to 2nd.

Josh Vitters strikes out swinging.

See the game story for a vague ejection explanation.

Nashville Top of the 6th

Logan Schafer singles on a bunt ground ball to first baseman Anthony Rizzo.

Jordan Brown homers (3) on a fly ball to left field. Logan Schafer scores.

Iowa Cubs Manager Dave Bialas ejected by 3B umpire Angel Campos.

Andy Gonzalez flies out to center fielder Brett Jackson.

Jay Gibbons flies out to center fielder Brett Jackson.

Eric Farris strikes out on foul tip.

Gameday

Final: Clinton 2, Wisconsin 1

Clinton cracks Rattlers

By Chris Mehring / Wisconsin Timber Rattlers

June 7, 2012 GRAND CHUTE, WI - The Wisconsin Timber Rattlers couldn't get anything going offensively after they took a first inning lead Thursday night at Time Warner Cable Field at Fox Cities Stadium and it cost them a loss to the Clinton LumberKings and a game off their lead in the Midwest League's Western Division. Clinton scored single runs in the seventh and eighth innings to defeat the Rattlers 2-1.

Wisconsin (37-23) took advantage of a Clinton miscue to take a 1-0 lead in the bottom of the first inning. Jason Rogers was at first with two outs and a 3-2 count on Nick Ramirez. Ramirez singled to center and Rogers, who was running on the pitch, raced around to third base. A routine throw back into the infield was wild and Rogers scampered home as the Clinton infield tried to track down the baseball.

That unearned run was the only tally allowed by LumberKings starting pitcher Brett Shankin. He worked five innings and allowed two singles to keep the LumberKings (22-37) close.

Rattlers starting pitcher Will West was a tad better than Shankin. West tossed five scoreless innings and scattered three hits and three walks around four strikeouts.

Clinton would tie the game in the top of the seventh. Dillon Hazlett led off the inning against Wisconsin reliever Jacob Barnes with a home run off the scoreboard above the wall.

Wisconsin missed on an opportunity to break the tie in the bottom of the seventh inning. Greg Hopkins reached on a bunt single and Cameron Garfield walked. But, Yadiel Rivera popped out on a bunt attempt and John Dishon lined into an inning ending double play.

The LumberKings took a 2-1 lead in the top of the eighth inning on a two-out RBI single by Mario Yepez. That single sent Ramon Morla home from second base to give Clinton the edge.

Andrew Kittredge, who came on in the sixth inning, tossed a scoreless bottom of the eighth by striking out the side. Then, Stephen Shackelford retired the heart of the Rattlers order in the bottom of the ninth to close out the game for his first save.

The trio of Clinton pitchers held the Rattlers to three hits in the game.

Wisconsin saw their lead in the Western Division cut by a game. Beloit, the team in second place in the division rallied to win 4-3 at Burlington on Thursday night. Wisconsin's lead over Beloit is down to two games with ten games left to play in the first half.

The final game of the series is Friday night. Wisconsin has Matt Miller (3-5, 4.57) as the scheduled starting pitcher. Clinton has set Trevor Miller (3-3, 3,27) as their scheduled starter. Game time is 7:05pm.

Miller Summer Kickoff continues on Friday with $1 Miller products and ticket giveaways to Noah's Ark, Summerfest, Country USA, Rock USA, and the EAA Fly-In. If you can't make it out to the game, tune in for the broadcast on AM1280, WNAM or timberrattlers.com starting with the Miller Lite Pregame Show at 6:45pm. The game is also available to MiLB.TV subscribers.

The Timber Rattlers are honoring pitchers Chad Thompson and Mark Williams for their combined no-hitter on May 4 in Clinton with a combined player poster giveaway to the first 1,000 to attend Friday's game. Both Rattlers pitchers are featured on poster #5 in the series of 10 player posters for the 2012 season.

North Shore Bank Family night also means that children 12 and under eat free. Then, stick around after the game for the first post-game fireworks display of the season. After the fireworks, children 14 and under may participate in Kids Run the Bases presented by Jernegan's Health Mart.

HOME RUN:

CLN:

Dillon Hazlett (2nd, 0 on in 7th inning off Jacob Barnes, 0 out)

WP: Andrew Kittredge (1-0)

LP: Jacob Barnes (2-2)

SAVE: Stephen Shackelford (1)

Wisconsin Box Score

I watched the game and every once in a while Will West flashed a very impressive breaking pitch, it looked like a curveball but the camera angle makes it difficult to distinguish pitches, especially without the help of the MPH. Jacob Barnes absolutely grooved a pitch to the #8 hitter for the HR that tied the game, it was belt high right down the middle. The run in the 8th was earned but that's only because the official scorer was kind to Yadiel Rivera who had a tough sequence. First he popped up that bunt in the 7th and then in the 8th a broken bat line drive ate him up after he backed up on it and took it on a short hop which got into left field. Tommy Toledo continues to impress and looked very good in the 9th.

The T-Rats only managed 3 hits and Nick Ramirez was only the hitter to have a multi-hit game going 2-4. Cameron Garfield needs a ton of work, there are some things he does well behind the plate but throwing out runners is not one. For example he let a runner steal a base on a perfectly timed pitch out, his throw was high and wide towards 1B but I'm not sure a good throw gets the runner anyways and it was a best case scenario. He gave up a total of 5 SBs in the game, sometimes the pitchers were as much at fault, but I thought Barnes in particular did a nice job trying to control the running game when he was on the bump. I've missed some games but I don't remember Cameron making a good throw when I've been listened or watching all season. He has 1 CS so far so he must have had one in there someplace, but he's now 1 for 12 on the year and coming into this game his career CS% was 19%.

Wisconsin Play By Play

Giving up the HR to the #8 hitter hurt but this highlight sequence was the game, I'm not sure how that broken bat liner was qualified as a ground ball. Maybe it took 2 hops as the camera was switching angles.

Clinton Top of the 8th

• Jabari Blash grounds out, shortstop Yadiel Rivera to first baseman Nick Ramirez.
    Ramon Morla singles on a ground ball to shortstop Yadiel Rivera.
    With Steven Baron batting, Ramon Morla steals (5) 2nd base.
    Steven Baron strikes out swinging.
    Mario Yepez singles on a line drive to right fielder Max Walla. Ramon Morla scores. Mario Yepez to 2nd on the throw.
    Dillon Hazlett flies out to right fielder Max Walla.

\

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Brevard rallies to edge Jupiter in 11 innings

06/07/2012 11:12 PM ET

By Frank Longobardo / Brevard County Manatees

JUPITER, Fla. - T.J. Mittelstaedt hit a two-run homer in the ninth to tie the game and then a RBI single in the 11th that eventually won the game as the Brevard County Manatees defeated the Jupiter Hammerheads, 7-6 in 11 innings on Thursday night at Roger Dean Stadium. It is the first time this season that Brevard has won a game in which they have been trailing after eight innings.

Down 6-4 with one out and one on in the ninth, Mittelstaedt hit his sixth homer of the season to right field to eventually send the game into extra innings.

In the 11th inning, Michael Reed led the inning off with a single and then moved to second on a sacrifice bunt by Nick Shaw. Shea Vucinich reached on an error by Jupiter third baseman Alfredo Lopez to put runners at the corners.

Mittelstaedt's infield single to short scored Reed and gave the 'Tees a 7-6 lead. Mittelstaedt was 3-for-6 on the night with three RBI and two runs scored.

That's all that Brevard (26-33) closer Casey Medlen would need as he threw a perfect inning with two strikeouts to earn his ninth save of the season. Brian Garman earned the win out of the bullpen as he threw 2 2/3 scoreless innings and struck out three.

Manatees starting pitcher Brooks Hall (1-2, 4.41) went just four innings and allowed two runs on four hits. He struck out two and gave up a season-high five walks.

Brevard County got the two runs that Hall allowed back in the top of the fourth on a Scott Krieger RBI ground-rule double and a Joey Paciorek RBI single. Both Krieger and Paciorek were 2-for-5 on the night. Krieger also stole two bases and scored three runs and is hitting .423 (11-for-26) to begin the month of June.

With the Manatees up 3-2 going into the bottom of the seventh, the Hammerheads (28-32) retook the lead as they scored two unearned runs off of Eric Arnett. Mike Walker committed an error to start the inning and then Arnett yielded back-to-back walks. Taylor Krick grounded into a double play to plate one run and then after Thomas Keeling replaced Arnett, a wild pitch by him allowed the other run of the inning to score.

The 'Tees tied the game at 4-4, in the top of the eighth thanks to a two-out RBI single by Brent Dean. In just his fourth game of the season, Dean was 3-for-5 on the night. The tie was short live though as Jupiter took a 5-4 lead in the bottom of the inning on a bases-loaded hit by pitch allowed by Keeling.

Brevard County pitchers allowed 13 walks on Thursday night, but for the most part was able to keep those runners for scoring as Jupiter stranded 16 base runners. The Manatees also had the edge with runners in scoring position as they were 5-for-18 with runners at second and third. The Hammerheads were 1-for-14 with runners in scoring position.

The Manatees will go for the series victory as they close out their four-game set with Jupiter on Friday night at 6:35 p.m.

Taylor Jungmann (4-4, 4.02) will toe the rubber for Brevard County. In his last start he allowed two runs in 6 2/3 innings to defeat Bradenton in the first game of a doubleheader this past Saturday.

Jupiter will send Edgar Olmos (1-4, 5.22) to the hill. Olmos allowed seven earned runs in his last start, this past Sunday against Lakeland.

Box Score

This was a back-and-forth, wild, sloppy, exciting game. T.J. Mittelstaedt (3-6 HR (6)) came up big twice. Once to tie it in the top of the 9th and then again in the 11th with the game winning hit. Michael Reed kick-started the winning rally with a leadoff single. C Brent Dean quadrupled his hit total on the year, now 4-16, with 3 hits and a steal tonight. Poor Mike Walker went 0-6 and was the only Sea Cow to not reach base with a hit or walk. Joey Paciorek went 2-5 and Kreiger's game is highlighted above.

Brooks Hall was not throwing strikes tonight. Final line: 4 IP 4 H 2 R 2 ER 5 BB 2 K 1 WP 6:3 GO:FO. As you can see, he was still somewhat effective. Remember, Hall is almost a full year younger than Jimmy Nelson, 6 months younger than Taylor Jungmann and 3 weeks younger than Jed Bradley. Look for a stellar 2nd half from Brooks as he settles into A+.

Five Manatee relievers followed Hall. They saved the best for last as Casey Medlen punched out 2 in a scoreless bottom of the 11th for the save.

Mike Walker (11) and Nick Shaw (12) each committed fielding errors.

Game Log

You have to take the out in the 1st inning. Still, where was the throw?

Jupiter Bottom of the 1st

Alfredo Lopez singles on a ground ball to left fielder T. J. Mittelstaedt.

With Danny Black batting, Alfredo Lopez steals (7) 2nd base.

Danny Black grounds out, first baseman Cody Hawn to pitcher Brooks Hall. Alfredo Lopez to 3rd.

Mark Canha out on a sacrifice fly to first baseman Cody Hawn in foul territory. Alfredo Lopez scores.

Aaron Dudley singles on a ground ball to center fielder Michael Reed.

Marcell Ozuna strikes out swinging.

I'm guessing they tried for Reed at home plate?

Brevard County Top of the 11th

Michael Reed singles on a line drive to right fielder Daniel Pertusati.

Nick Shaw out on a sacrifice bunt, pitcher Chris Squires to first baseman Mark Canha. Michael Reed to 2nd.

Shea Vucinich reaches on a fielder's choice, fielded by third baseman Alfredo Lopez. Michael Reed advances to 3rd, on missed catch error by third baseman Alfredo Lopez.

T. J. Mittelstaedt singles on a ground ball to shortstop Danny Black. Michael Reed scores. Shea Vucinich to 2nd.

Mike Walker grounds out, shortstop Danny Black to first baseman Mark Canha. Shea Vucinich to 3rd. T. J. Mittelstaedt to 2nd.

Scott Krieger grounds out, third baseman Alfredo Lopez to first baseman Mark Canha.

Medlen's magic.

Jupiter Bottom of the 11th

Pitcher Change: Casey Medlen replaces Brian Garman.

Noah Perio pops out to third baseman Mike Walker in foul territory.

Daniel Pertusati strikes out swinging.

Alfredo Lopez strikes out swinging.

Final: DSL Brewers 9, DSL Braves 4

Brewers Box Score

Doing this game since Huntsville was postponed. With every successive outing in which Gian Rizzo dominates I'm going to wonder more why he isn't stateside. I had him as my #23 and would love to get an accurate scouting report on him. Gian went 5IP allowing 6H, 2R, 0ER, and 0BB against 7SO posting a 4:5 ratio. He was followed by Miguel Diaz who went 2 scoreless and Junior Flores who also posted a scoreless inning. Doni Arias allowed 2ER on 2H and 2BB in his 1 inning of work at the end of the game.

Raphachel Colatosti (that's quite the name to spell) went 2-6, Elvis Rubio went 2-5, Juan Ortiz went 2-5 with a 2B, Carlos Pena went 2-3 with a 3B and 2BB, and finally Carlos Belonis went 1-5 with a 2B. Francisco Castillo stole his 5th base already and the young Brewers committed 5 errors in the contest.

Brewers Play By Play

Rizzo gave up single tallies in the 1st and 5th.

DSL Braves Bottom of the 1st

• Yunior Aybar strikes out swinging.
    Gustavo Gomez singles on a fly ball to center fielder Francisco Castillo.
    Jose Morel reaches on force attempt, fielding error by shortstop Carlos Belonis. Gustavo Gomez to 2nd.
    Ibrahim McKenzie flies out to left fielder Juan Ortiz.
    Miguel Rivero singles on a fly ball to center fielder Francisco Castillo. Gustavo Gomez scores. Jose Morel to 3rd.
    With Eugenio Diaz batting, Miguel Rivero caught stealing 2nd base, catcher Carlos Pena to second baseman Alejandro Mendoza.

DSL Braves Bottom of the 5th

• Cristian Palacios grounds out, pitcher Gian Rizzo to first baseman Elvis Rubio.
    Yunior Aybar singles on a fly ball to center fielder Francisco Castillo.
    Gustavo Gomez reaches on fielding error by first baseman Elvis Rubio. Yunior Aybar scores. Gustavo Gomez to 3rd. Throwing error by first baseman Elvis Rubio. Throwing error by second baseman Alejandro Mendoza.
    Jose Morel called out on strikes.
    Ibrahim McKenzie strikes out swinging

Our youngsters put crooked numbers in the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 9th innings.

DSL Brewers Top of the 2nd

• Juan Ortiz doubles (3) on a fly ball to center fielder Jose Morel.
    Yunior Santana lines out to first baseman Ibrahim McKenzie.
    Carlos Pena triples (1) on a fly ball to center fielder Jose Morel. Juan Ortiz scores.
    Alejandro Mendoza reaches on a fielder's choice, fielded by pitcher Francisco Gonzalez. Carlos Pena scores.
    Kevin Martinez pops out to first baseman Ibrahim McKenzie.
    Francisco Castillo flies out to right fielder Miguel Rivero.

DSL Brewers Top of the 3rd

• Raphachel Colatosti reaches on fielding error by shortstop Cristian Palacios.
    Carlos Belonis flies out to right fielder Miguel Rivero.
    Elvis Rubio singles on a fly ball to center fielder Jose Morel. Raphachel Colatosti scores. Elvis Rubio to 2nd. Fielding error by center fielder Jose Morel.
    With Juan Ortiz batting, throwing error by Francisco Gonzalez on the pickoff attempt, Elvis Rubio to 3rd.
    Juan Ortiz grounds out, pitcher Francisco Gonzalez to first baseman Ibrahim McKenzie.
    Yunior Santana walks.
    Carlos Pena singles on a fly ball to center fielder Jose Morel. Elvis Rubio scores. Yunior Santana to 2nd.
    Alejandro Mendoza walks. Yunior Santana to 3rd. Carlos Pena to 2nd.
    Kevin Martinez flies out to left fielder Iosif Bernal.

DSL Brewers Top of the 4th

• Francisco Castillo walks.
    With Raphachel Colatosti batting, Francisco Castillo steals (5) 2nd base.
    Raphachel Colatosti singles on a fly ball to center fielder Jose Morel. Francisco Castillo to 3rd.
    Pitcher Change: Nelson Leon replaces Francisco Gonzalez.
    Carlos Belonis reaches on fielding error by third baseman Gustavo Gomez. Raphachel Colatosti to 2nd.
    Elvis Rubio pops out to second baseman Yunior Aybar.
    Juan Ortiz called out on strikes.
    Yunior Santana reaches on catcher interference by Alexander De La Cruz. Francisco Castillo scores. Raphachel Colatosti to 3rd. Carlos Belonis to 2nd. Yunior Santana to 1st.
    With Carlos Pena batting, Raphachel Colatosti scores on a balk. Carlos Belonis advances to 3rd on a balk. Yunior Santana advances to 2nd on a balk.
    Carlos Pena flies out to center fielder Jose Morel.

DSL Brewers Top of the 9th

• Defensive Substitution: Jesus Heredia replaces center fielder Jose Morel, batting 3rd, playing center field.
    Defensive Substitution: Nisandro Cleofa replaces right fielder Miguel Rivero, batting 5th, playing right field.
    Pitcher Change: Victor Constanzo replaces Nelson Leon.
    Elvis Rubio singles on a fly ball to center fielder Jesus Heredia.
    Juan Ortiz singles on a fly ball to center fielder Jesus Heredia. Elvis Rubio to 2nd.
    Yunior Santana grounds into a force out, fielded by second baseman Yunior Aybar. Elvis Rubio scores. Juan Ortiz out at 2nd. Yunior Santana advances to 2nd, on throwing error by second baseman Yunior Aybar.
    Carlos Pena walks.
    Alejandro Mendoza grounds into a force out, shortstop Cristian Palacios to second baseman Yunior Aybar. Yunior Santana to 3rd. Carlos Pena out at 2nd. Alejandro Mendoza to 1st.
    Kevin Martinez singles on a fly ball to center fielder Jesus Heredia. Yunior Santana scores. Alejandro Mendoza to 2nd.
    Francisco Castillo singles on a fly ball to center fielder Jesus Heredia. Alejandro Mendoza scores. Kevin Martinez to 3rd. Francisco Castillo to 2nd on the throw.
    Raphachel Colatosti flies out to right fielder Nisandro Cleofa.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Peralta's line wasn't pretty, but it looks like he had a pretty good last 3 innings. I checked in on the game and he had given up several hits and 3 ER's already.

So to go 6 IP and give up 3 ER's...maybe it's a turning point for him.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

DSL Brewers 9, DSL Braves 4

DSL Box

Well, Mass Haas was right to highlight Gian Rizzo today with a tweet. The Cerveceritos starter appeared to breeze through his start today, with the exception of some shoddy defense behind him. Rizzo's line today: 5 IP, 6 H, 2 R/0 ER, 0 BB, 7 K (4/5 : GO/FO). One would have to guess that Gian won't go too much longer before he gets a call to head stateside -- he posted a dominant 1.82 ERA last year (13 G, 10 Starts), in his age-17 season. So far this season, the Venezuelan's ratcheted it down to a 0.90 ERA -- with peripherals to back it up -- in two overpowering starts.

17-yo righty Miguel Diaz worked two scoreless innings in relief of Rizzo, and he was followed with a scoreless frame by another 17-yo righty, Junior Flores. 19-yo RHP Doni Arias worked the 9th, & allowed two earned runs.

Back-to-back-to-back two-run innings in the 2nd, 3rd, & 4th were enough to overwhelm the DSL Braves, although the Cerveceritos tacked on three runs in the 9th just to make certain of the victory. Catcher Carlos Pena had two hits... including a triple, two RBI, & two BB to lead the way offensively for the Cerveceritos; Pena also cut down the only attempted basestealer for the DSL Braves.

3B Raphachel Colatosti, 1B Elvis Rubio, & LF Juan Ortiz were the only other DSL Brewers with two hits; Ortiz & SS Carlos Belonis each doubled once. DH Kevin Martinez & CF Francisco Castillo added one hit each. Castillo walked once as well, along with going 1/1 in stolen base attempts... pushing his success rate to 5/5 on the season.

1B Rubio was credited with two errors, while SS Belonis, P Flores, & 2B Alejandro Mendoza each were credited with one error.

DSL Play-by-Play

Rizzo took matters into his own hands to close out the 5th inning & his workday, after his defense made two errors behind him on one play...

DSL Braves Bottom of the 5th

-Cristian Palacios grounds out, pitcher Gian Rizzo to first baseman Elvis Rubio.

-Yunior Aybar singles on a fly ball to center fielder Francisco Castillo.

-Gustavo Gomez reaches on fielding error by first baseman Elvis Rubio. Yunior Aybar scores. Gustavo Gomez to 3rd. Throwing error by first baseman Elvis Rubio. Throwing error by second baseman Alejandro Mendoza.

-Jose Morel called out on strikes.

-Ibrahim McKenzie strikes out swinging.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Brewer Fanatic Staff

The final game of the series is Friday night. Wisconsin has Matt Miller (3-5, 4.57) as the scheduled starting pitcher. Clinton has set Trevor Miller (3-3, 3,27) as their scheduled starter. Game time is 7:05pm.

Miller Summer Kickoff continues on Friday with $1 Miller products and ticket giveaways to Noah's Ark, Summerfest, Country USA, Rock USA, and the EAA Fly-In. If you can't make it out to the game, tune in for the broadcast on AM1280, WNAM or timberrattlers.com starting with the Miller Lite Pregame Show at 6:45pm.

That's a lot of Miller's!

What's with the Brewer player development people? Ok, I understand Sean Halton isn't a top prospect and Gindl hasn't had a great year, but is there any reason a guy like Halton who's just turned 25, and is hitting .313/.421/.563 over his last 10 games,and a guy like Gindl who's only 23 and who's perked up some lately are sitting in favor of guys like Patterson and Gibbons?

Halton in particular has been sitting a lot lately and it just doesn't make sense.

Archived