Brewer Fanatic

Other than Farmer, who are the later round picks that dropped due to price tag?

Who are the guys we should be following closely from the prep ranks, or even Jr's in college who we're going to need to spend a little bit more on in order to sign some of these guys that are of the Gennett, McFarland, Farmer type category this year? The guys who are slotted to make 100K and who may well end up getting 250-300K by hopefully saving some money earlier in the draft?

I don't know a whole lot about some of these guys?

Anyone want to fill those of us in who aren't as familiar with who the Brewers are going to have to go over in order to sign and bring aboard?

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

One of the bigger ones I heard was 8th round OF Edgardo Rivera. He's a high schooler from Puerto Rico with 70-80 speed, good contact, and a true CF. Very raw, but lots of intriguing tools, just not much power.

39th round SS/OF Derek Jones is another. It's interesting because he is a Canadian high schooler who is signable, yet they waited till the 39th round, which makes me think he's signable if the price is right, probably a high price. Another potential high upside CF, this time with power. Very projectable yet. We'll see on him.

The Brewers appeared to go after a lot of the high upside, tough sign guys early, maybe to show how serious they were about signing them. And seeing as how there's word that a lot of higher picks are ready to sign already, it's possible some of those guys already have deals in place.

16th round 1B Adam Giacalone was also said to be a difficult sign...till he signed earlier today :)

I'm not too surprised. He hasn't played this spring and he likely won't play this summer (although some newer quotes seem to indicate perhaps Instructional League or a bit of time before that).

I'm not too surprised. He hasn't played this spring and he likely won't play this summer (although some newer quotes seem to indicate perhaps Instructional League or a bit of time before that).

Yeah, I know, but a 20 year old kid could have just as easily gone back to college where coming into this year he was BA's #9 prospect if he thought he was getting low balled.

It sounded like he was just eager to get back on the field which he said he hoped to do this summer.

Does anybody know what the Brewers' cap is for the first 10 picks? All I see is that the Angels are at $1.6 million and the Twins $12.4 million.

I didn't realize the spending limits were this extreme. Seems like the draftees really take the shaft on this new rule.

Also, does anybody know if there is a soft cap on picks 11-40?

As of right now, the bonus pool calculator says we are 148.4k below our cap. Plus we still need to sign Magnifico and Rivera.

I think Farmer is the difference between us having a good draft and a really good draft. You could conceivably stick Farmer in Wisconsin right after he signs which would be awesome for 15th rounder.

As of right now, the bonus pool calculator says we are 148.4k below our cap. Plus we still need to sign Magnifico and Rivera.

I think Farmer is the difference between us having a good draft and a really good draft. You could conceivably stick Farmer in Wisconsin right after he signs which would be awesome for 15th rounder.

Seems a little unlikely we can pull in all 3 for 448K and change.

I agree that we probably won't sign all three but I looked up the slot value for the Magnifico and Rivera picks and added all the money up and it comes out 590.6k. So a little bit more.

Edit: We could go up to about 725k while staying under the 5% luxury tax and not losing a draft pick.

As another analyst pointed out the slot values for this 'shafting' of the players are actually above last years slots by a fair amount. There is longer term cost certainty with this approach, but what you are really preventing is the one-two absurd contracts a year to this years once in a generation player. Seems pretty generally fair to all parties. If you worried about the owners making too much money that is really a different issue.

• 3 weeks later...
With all the picks in the first ten rounds in the fold, the Brewers are $5600 under budget, which means they can offer Farmer $105,600 without penalty. If they're willing to endure the 75% overage tax on money spent up to 5% over their draft budget, they could offer Farmer up to $443,835 (third-round value), for a total cost of $697,511.25. Any more than that and they lose a draft pick. This being the Brewers, they will probably not go over budget, so let's hope Farmer is interested in the barely-six-figures bonus.

• 1 month later...
As another analyst pointed out the slot values for this 'shafting' of the players are actually above last years slots by a fair amount. There is longer term cost certainty with this approach, but what you are really preventing is the one-two absurd contracts a year to this years once in a generation player. Seems pretty generally fair to all parties. If you worried about the owners making too much money that is really a different issue.

Well, I think it's significantly more than just fixing the "once in a generation player."

I think it's meant to help teams so the Red Sox and Yankees can't sign a guy like Middlebrooks in the 5th round for 1st round money(I don't remember if they did or if I'm thinking of someone else, but just for exampld) to a 1st round contract and just go up and buy up all the guys who slide because of singability concerns and corner the marketon them. The Farmer's, the Gennetts that sign once a year, the Red Sox and Yankees where signing almost exclusively those types of players and the cost for draft picks keep going up.

I think the Harper and Strausburg signings had significantly less to do with this than the Porcello, Brackman and other type signings.

Archived