Minor League Transaction Thread

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Staff

From last Sunday's Modesto (CA) Bee:

Hector Gomez looks to make mark in Modesto Nuts jersey

By Brian VanderBeek

It was early in spring training, but not too early for Hector Gomez to show the Colorado Rockies' brass that he deserved a spot on their opening day roster.

No one had gone through more in the last four years than Gomez. He had lost two full seasons to injury and suffered an unspeakable off-field tragedy.

But at 24, and with a tiny taste of big-league experience last September, the shortstop wanted nothing more than to make a splash as early as possible in the exhibition season.

On March 8, during the late innings of an exhibition game against Kansas City at the Rockies' sparkling Salt River Fields in Scottsdale, Ariz., Gomez got the call to grab his bat.

"On the first pitch I hit a line drive double down the third base line," Gomez said. "I touched first base and I heard and felt my groin pop. Oh my gosh, my groin again."

Some people considered Gomez a long shot to make the Rockies' opening day roster. As a shortstop, he's always going to be a backup in Colorado, at least as long as Troy Tulowitzki is wearing purple.

But even if Gomez hadn't gone to Denver with the big club at the end of spring training, he would have been sent to Triple-A Colorado Springs. And with the rash of injuries that has beset the Rockies, particularly Tulowitzki's groin tear and surgery last week, Gomez likely would be in the majors right now.

Instead, he's back in Modesto, where his girlfriend and their son reside. Gomez probably will spend the next week or so with the Nuts as he plays his way back into the kind of shape that will allow him to go nine innings six days a week.

His frame of mind is that this is not a setback, but another opportunity to advance his career. It's the same outlook that has kept him upbeat through an improbable series of misfortunes that began with his very first game with the Nuts in 2008.

"Everything is mental and I do what I can to stay mentally strong and positive," he said. "I never put my head down, and I'm always telling myself that I can do this."

Injuries plague shortstop

Opening night for Modesto in 2008 came at Stockton Ballpark. Gomez was playing shortstop and leading off, and had a hit in one of his first three plate appearances.

In his fourth at-bat, his job was to advance a runner to second base after taking a shot at a base hit early in the count. He swung at a fastball low and in and it felt like his shin had just been set afire.

"I remember my first game with Modesto," Gomez said. "We were in Stockton and, oh my God, I hit a foul ball right off my shin. Oh, it was horrible. I fractured the bone."

He actually finished the at-bat, put down a perfect sacrifice bunt, then collapsed from the pain two steps out of the batter's box. Two months later, just as his leg was almost healed, he hurt his shoulder. An elbow injury rose from that and required Tommy John surgery.

While on the comeback from that, he suffered a severe lower back strain. The injuries have limited him to a total of 213 games since opening day, 2008, but the Rockies remain very high on Gomez.

They know what he's gone through, and they see how he remains upbeat on and off the field, through injury, and yes, personal tragedy.

Two summers ago, Gomez and his girlfriend had a child. A boy they named Hector Jr. The baby died at two months.

"God gives us tests like that for a reason," Gomez said. "That was the first time I felt close to that bad about anything, but God gave me another son."

A son they gave the same name. Another Hector Jr.

"I did think a long time about giving this son that name," he said. "It was very hard for me, because every time I call his name, I think of our first son."

Ready for next opportunity

Gomez played three innings on Thursday in his Nuts' rehab debut, and played five innings in Saturday's game. He's scheduled to be Modesto's designated hitter for nine innings this afternoon, then go nine innings in the field when the Nuts open a road trip Monday in Lancaster.

After that, his health will be reevaluated and the Rockies will determine when the next stop for Gomez will be. He's hoping and praying it's not on another disabled list.

"I think I use my head better now and I know better now how to help my body get through the game without getting hurt," Gomez said. "I know the Rockies need infielders right now, and I feel good. I feel like I'm ready to go."

Photo by Debbie Noda

http://media.modbee.com/smedia/2012/06/23/17/55/iYiZL.St.11.jpeg

I read yesterday that Hector Gomez was at one time a Top 100 ranked prospect. Injuries have hurt him. Sounds like he still has a lot of potential as a shortstop. Interesting pickup for the Brewers.

Yes he barely cracked the top 100 in 2007.

Edit. Here's his scouting report, outside of the injuries he sounds a lot like our other Gomez.

Gomez has the tools to make all the plays at shortstop, including plus range, soft hands, quick feet and a very strong arm. He did a better job of playing under control in 2011, fielding a career-high .963. At the plate, Gomez has strong hands that whip the bat through the zone quickly and give him good pop for a middle infielder. He's capable of 15 homers per season, though he's such a free swinger that he often gets himself out by chasing pitches. Gomez will open 2012 in Triple-A, with the Rockies once again hoping that he finally can stay on the field for a full season.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Brewer Fanatic Staff
Mass-

McCalvey reporting the Brewers signed Puerto Rican pitcher Joshua Torres, an undrafted free agent teenager.

http://milwaukee.brewers.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120623&content_id=33785858&notebook_id=33809292&vkey=notebook_mil&c_id=mil

Torres has been officially assigned to the DSL team; 2012 11th round RHP Preston Gainey of the Naval Academy to Helena.

Mass-

McCalvey reporting the Brewers signed Puerto Rican pitcher Joshua Torres, an undrafted free agent teenager.

Torres has been officially assigned to the DSL team.

"Draft-eligible players may not participate in the DSL or VSL, with the exception of two players from Puerto Rico." I didn't remember that part. Have the Brewers ever sent another Puerto Rican to the DSL?

Brewer Fanatic Staff

New 40-man roster waiver claim Hector Gomez (career stats) was first added to the Rockies' 40-man roster to protect him from Rule 5 on November 20, 2008.

He has not been removed from their 40-man roster during that time, so he was optioned to the minor leagues in 2009, '10, '11 and 12.

For the Brewers to not expose him to waivers at all, he will need to be on the big league roster to stay as of 2013.

That's a big leap.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Huntsville Media Relations:

BIRMINGHAM – The Milwaukee Brewers and Huntsville Stars have made a pair of roster moves prior to tonight’s game at Birmingham. Outfielder Scott Krieger and RHP Jimmy Nelson have been placed on the disabled list. Krieger is retroactive to June 27 and Nelson is retroactive to July 1.

Krieger is currently hitting .300 in 15 games for the Stars after starting the year out at High-A Brevard County. He hasn’t played since June 27 when he entered the game as a pinch hitter. His last start was June 23.

Nelson has compiled a 1-0 record with a 4.73 ERA in just three starts after being promoted from Brevard County. His last outing was June 30 against Mobile. He didn’t give up a run, allowing just five hits in five innings of work. He walked two and struck out five.

With these moves, the Stars active roster is at 23, two below the Southern League limit.

OK, another assignment for the beat guys via Gord Ash...particularly on Nelson, no offense to Scott.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Jimmy Nelson tweeted about being in an airport this AM. One would imagine it's to Milwaukee to get his shoulder fatigue checked out. Hopefully just the organization being overly cautious.

(It could be a flight for family reasons, etc., but we like to assume.)

Brewer Fanatic Staff
Congrats to JSanchez2409 on the move to AAA.

Thanks for the heads up, that would be Huntsville closer Jesus Sanchez, the one-time Phillies catching farmhand (converted to pitcher in 2009), who has thrown so well for the Stars this year.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

RHP Johnnie Lowe gets sent to Huntsville from Nashville, swapping spots with Jesus Sanchez.

For the most part, Lowe did a nice job in his first AAA stint, but the Brewers need to start giving long looks to Sanchez and a deserving Jim Henderson at AAA.

Tyler Thornburg activated at Nashville (minor wrist issue), will start on Wed. the 4th.

To make room, RHP Brian Baker fills an open slot on the Huntsville roster.

In his 8th Minor League season, this will be the first time Baker has appeared for two teams in the same season. In 7 previous seasons, he has had no mid-season promotions or demotions, always has spent the full season with the team he started it with. I don't know but I'll bet that hasn't happened for very many players over that long of a career.

RHP Johnnie Lowe gets sent to Huntsville from Nashville, swapping spots with Jesus Sanchez.

For the most part, Lowe did a nice job in his first AAA stint, but the Brewers need to start giving long looks to Sanchez and a deserving Jim Henderson at AAA.

Just needed to add the obligatory "Jesus saves!"

Brewer Fanatic Staff

As per the Timber Rattlers Twitter account --

Roster moves: C Tyler Roberts & OF Mitch Haniger to the 7-day DL. LHP Alan Williams and IF Adrian Williams transferred from Helena to Wisconsin.

Haniger, the supplemental first rounder, limped back to the dugout after grounding out Thursday night. We may never know the circumstances behind the mystery demotion of the talented 22-year-old southpaw reliever Alan Williams from Brevard County to the "paper" Helena roster back on May 15th. Good to see he'll be back on a mound as soon as this evening.

Roberts' stint is retroactive to 7/4.

Brewer Fanatic Staff
Coming off a promising 2011 with some buzz, 18-year-old 3B Sthervin Matos is sidelined again.

He left the club's 4th game June 6th after a strikeout (maybe an oblique?).

He returned to action in a DH role June 12th and appeared in five games, but hasn't re-appeared since June 19th.

In a pleasant development, Sthervin Matos has been promoted stateside to the Maryvale roster. Hopefully we'll see him in a box score soon, definitely one of the more exciting DSL kids we tracked last summer as a 17-year-old.

In another DSL move, we have a new signing alert!

LHP Joan De La Cruz will be making his pro debut when he appears in a Link Report box score here.

Listed at a classic 6'3", 175, De La Cruz, a Dominican native, is only 17, he'll turn 18 on September 30th.

We've seen it before, someday we might link to this very post as a history reminder before De La Cruz steps on Miller Park's mound some day. Long road, we'll see.

In my book, the Brewers can pretty much sign any breathing 6'3" lefty, and I'm OK with it :).

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Adam McCalvy reports that 2012 8th round OF Edgardo Rivera, out of Adolfina Irizarry de Puig High School in Puerto Rico, has signed.

(Adam also confirms the signing of 5th round RHP Damien Magnifico out of U-Oklahoma, which was reported earlier, pending physical).

Archived