Brewer Fanatic

Would you trade Braun for any one player?

Considering everything -- contract situation, service time, stature, etc, is there any one single player in MLB, either currently in the Minors or MLB, that you would trade Ryan Braun straight up for? Anyone is free game -- Kemp, Verlander, Strasburg, Harper, Pedroia, Votto, Tulowitzki, etc, or any one prospect in the minors, -- but only one player.

Is there anyone you would do straight up for Braun, or would you stick with Braun?

To answer my own question, I would say no, I would not trade Braun for any one player -- with the understanding that it is not all about total value, but also about perception. Braun is established here, he's a Brewer icon, and even if you're getting a player of his stature in return, you risk infuriating the casual fanbase in Milwaukee that a lot of our attendance has become built around.

The hardest player for me to pass on doing it for would be Tulowitzki, I think. Braun is one of the best players in baseball, obviously, but Tulowitzki, though probably a bit less productive offensively, is a gold-glove caliber shortstop. Gold glove shortstops of that offensive caliber are more of a commodity.

Player-wise, there are a few. Tulowitzki, Kemp, possibly Cabrera. But for the other stuff value-wise that you describe, probably not? Tulowitzki is the better player and would be a tough call, though.

Tulowitzki for Braun in a heartbeat. I'd definitely think about Trout, Strasburg or Harper for Braun too. With Braun I wonder if the constant nagging injuries are only going to get worse with age. Factor that in with the Brewers probably needing to rebuild for a year or two, would make me think about trading Braun for one of very few mega prospects / budding stars.

Nagging injuries are a sign of steroids, right? :)

Tulo for Braun is probably the only one I'd consider but I think it is more-or-less a toss up. Braun probably has the edge on offense but Tulo has the edge on defense. Both are signed to similar contracts through 2020.

I'd think about it for Harper but he'll be a Super 2 guy and arby eligible in 2014. Given what he's expected to do and the way the market is going, he might be more expensive than Braun by 2016 (and on another team by 2018).

I would definitely not trade Braun for Tulowitzki. Tulo is way too injury prone

I would trade Braun for Jeter if I could get the 1999 version of Jeter in a "time machine deal".

Considering everything, no I would not trade Braun for anyone. I'd trade him for a combination of Trout and Trumbo, but I wouldn't trade Braun for any one player. Strasburg would be tempting, but the injury risk is too great

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Unlike the iron-clad Braun, of course. ;)

There are a few players I'd deal Braun straight-up for, but not many. Someone like Kershaw or Tulo would be hard to say 'no' to on Braun.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Unlike the iron-clad Braun, of course.

well, true, Braun does get dinged up a fair amount. But he has yet to go on the DL in his career and has averaged about 155 games a season in his career. Tulo missed 61 games in '08, 40 games in '10, 19 games in '11, and is back on the DL right now. That is a pretty significant difference.

Then, considering that Tulo has a .868 career OPS along with a 118 career OPS+ compared to Braun's .937 career OPS with a 146 career OPS+, I don't think Tulo's superior defense makes up for it

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Tulowitzki for Braun in a heartbeat. I'd definitely think about Trout, Strasburg or Harper for Braun too. With Braun I wonder if the constant nagging injuries are only going to get worse with age. Factor that in with the Brewers probably needing to rebuild for a year or two, would make me think about trading Braun for one of very few mega prospects / budding stars.

I actually got into a debate over Strausburg and Braun SS's rookie year. Who would you rather have long term. I chose Braun, and I'd take him every time.

Just the injury risk factor.

I'd trade Braun for Tulo. I wouldn't trade Braun for Kemp because despite the fact that I think Kemp is better, Cabrera I think is a guy who could get fat, and not "Prince Fat," and get sloppy fat and not be the player Braun will be.

Take contract into account, and unless I can get Harper to sign a Braun like deal right now(his agent is Boras) forget that.

Same with Trout...though I'd have to think about it.

I'd trade Braun for Profar and Yu Darvish as I think he's a long term dominant pitcher, but again, that's kinda ridiculous.

So Tulo or bust, and since Tulo is to the Rockies what Braun is to the Brewers, I don't think you could find a deal that would work.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Unlike the iron-clad Braun, of course. ;)

There are a few players I'd deal Braun straight-up for, but not many. Someone like Kershaw or Tulo would be hard to say 'no' to on Braun.

This injury prone label that Braun gets(and I know you didn't use that term, but it's out there) just doesn't hold water.

He's had some minor strains and little issues that haven't caused him to miss significant time once and as another poster pointed out, he's avered 155 games played. d

Tulo has probably missed more games than Braun has in his entire career once or two seasons. So it's fairly obvious for me.

Now if you give each player the same contract that Braun has, I think I'd take Kemp, Harper, Trout, no pitchers, and in another year or two Lawrie and Profar with their defensive ability,both being very good to elite defenders could chane things. COULD. And Buster Posey is in that discussion.

So...yeah, Tulo....

The Jeter comment is an interesting one though. People overrate Jeter so often they don't often realize how great he was. But if we're going to go back to 1998, Arod certainly blows Jeter out of the water.

I think it's more interesting to think about what prospects you think could end up being as good as or more valuable than Braun. Trout, Harper, Lawrie, Moore, Profar, Bundy.... but that's too hard.

Either way, I'm sure there would have been players that were more valuable than Robin Yount in 1978, 1980, but it's hard to put a price on have a guy grouw up with a player, haveing young kids get to watch that player play their entire career for the Breweers. Have kds who are 10 now watc hh him for the next 8 years. Pretty awesome. Time to look to a 3 year extension for Yo for 45 million IMO.

Either way, I'm sure there would have been players that were more valuable than Robin Yount in 1978, 1980, but it's hard to put a price on have a guy grouw up with a player, haveing young kids get to watch that player play their entire career for the Breweers. Have kds who are 10 now watc hh him for the next 8 years. Pretty awesome. Time to look to a 3 year extension for Yo for 45 million IMO.

I was fretting explaining to my 6-year-old (who idolizes Braun) why he wasn't playing in the first 50 games this year. Thank God I didn't have to do that. It's great that he will grow up knowing Braun as a Brewer the way I grew up knowing Yount, Molitor, Gantner as Brewers. Having a "face of the franchise" who is with the team for his whole (hopefully Hall of Fame) career is almost priceless... especially with a franchise without much Hall of Fame history.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

I was fretting explaining to my 6-year-old (who idolizes Braun) why he wasn't playing in the first 50 games this year. Thank God I didn't have to do that. It's great that he will grow up knowing Braun as a Brewer the way I grew up knowing Yount, Molitor, Gantner as Brewers. Having a "face of the franchise" who is with the team for his whole (hopefully Hall of Fame) career is almost priceless... especially with a franchise without much Hall of Fame history.

Yeah, well, you're just lucky you never actually got to meet Gumby out at the bar. I was playing pool with my Girl..we were about 23-24, he was....a few drinks in. I get up to get drinks, he sits in my spot as we're shooting pool. It was a Thursday night, so nothing special and a local bar.

Gantner tells me to "beat it, he's talking to someone." My GF at this point is rolling her eyes and I can tell wants me to say something. I say, "yeah, you're talking to MY GF sitting ON my seat, but please leave us alone. This 50-somethingi year old guy wanted to go outside to fight.

I let him stumble outisde and just sat back down. Great pool player, pretty awful person though.

Edit-Agree 100 pct on the rest though....

Then, considering that Tulo has a .868 career OPS along with a 118 career OPS+ compared to Braun's .937 career OPS with a 146 career OPS+, I don't think Tulo's superior defense makes up for it

If they played the same position, no but with defense and position Tulo absolutely makes up for the difference in OPS. Tulo plays one of the hardest defensive positions while Braun plays one of the easiest. Tulo is as rare or rarer talent than Braun.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I'd trade him straight up for Joey Votto. Yeah Votto is much more expensive, but he's a better hitter than Braun and at the level those guys are at, even a marginal difference is worth a ton.

I disagree that he's a better hitter. He's a far more patient hitter, but Braun has been a better hitter (AVG and power) throughout his career. Votto had one monster power year and he won the MVP because of it.

I'd trade him straight up for Joey Votto. Yeah Votto is much more expensive, but he's a better hitter than Braun and at the level those guys are at, even a marginal difference is worth a ton.

I disagree that he's a better hitter. He's a far more patient hitter, but Braun has been a better hitter (AVG and power) throughout his career. Votto had one monster power year and he won the MVP because of it.

Braun better (AVG and power)? Votto has a better career average .316 to .312. Braun has slight edge slugging .565 to .556. OBP isnt' close. Braun's great, but Votto is a little better and is just a little tougher to pitch to.

yeah, thinking about it more, I would trade Braun for Votto. Although Votto's horrible postseason stats scare me a little, I'd chalk it up to a small sample anomaly

The Jeter comment is an interesting one though. People overrate Jeter so often they don't often realize how great he was. But if we're going to go back to 1998, Arod certainly blows Jeter out of the water.

Disagree. Stricter steroids testing now. And Jeter has been light years more clutch in the postseason. I'd take Jeter over A-Rod any day

Braun better (AVG and power)? Votto has a better career average .316 to .312. Braun has slight edge slugging .565 to .556. OBP isnt' close. Braun's great, but Votto is a little better and is just a little tougher to pitch to.

And plays in an absolute sandbox.

And you talk about even a "marginal difference," being worth a ton at that level...those words literally contradict themselves. A marginal difference is a marginal difference.

And the ridiculous contract they signed Votto to is just absurd.

That's NOT a marginal difference. 13 years for 263 million through 2024 when he'll be 40 years old vs 13 years and 155 with an option year that comes up when he's 26.

108 million is almost Zach Greinke. Hardly marginal. And like I said, you're also ignoring several things. I can't even fathom what Braun's #'s would be playing half his games at GABP.

And they're the same age. Plus, while Braun is certainly no superstar defensively, it's also a lot easier to find a 1B than an MVP 1B.

So, I'll take the 110 million dollars(PLUS the deferred money, which is also significant while we're trying to win in his prime years. Basically you have two equal offensive players, one a LF'er who's gradually improving and developing into a average defender in the OF and who could presumably move over to 1st and with his background at 3rd and likely become a very good defensive 1B who has speed and can steal 30+in a season vs another really good offensive player, playing on a little league field who lacks the speed and costs 26 million from ages 34 to 39.

Seems like a no-brainer that Tulo who plays a premium position at the highest level andcoss the same as Braun is far more obvious.

Archived