Brewer Fanatic

All-Star voting/rosters [Reply #43: Braun 4th in OF votes and the only Brewers' all-star]

Kemp snubbed him.

There's a thread about it.

Yes that you started and its really a non-issue. In fact, I think most fans (or rather informed fans who understand that the HR derby probably does more harm than good) would rather have Braun not participate. The only good thing that could come out of it is Braun wins, which is nothing more than PR. The bad things could be he gets hurt/reinjures his achilles, he doesn't get an extra days rest, he screws his swing up from trying to hit a HR every AB, etc. It's really not a big deal and like others said in that thread you started, who's to say that Braun told Kemp he didn't want to. Just because that wasn't made public knowledge doesn't mean it didn't happen.

By the way, what's the deal with the avatar?

The average fan outweighs the informed fan 10 to 1. I agree there maybe more 'informed' fans that don't want Braun in the derby or AS game or both, but to say most fans would not want him in the derby or AS game or both couldn't be farther from the truth.

and, like I said in that thread, even the informed fan would enjoy watching Braun win the HR derby.

You are seriously reaching when you say Braun participating in the HR derby could be bad because he could hurt/reinjure his achilles, or he won't get an extra days rest, or he could screw his swing up from trying to hit a HR every AB, etc. He could do all that x10 just playing in this afternoons game (sans the rest of course). If he really needs the rest as you pointed out, RR will rest him out of the lineup before an off day.

Seriously, if you think Braun, or anyone for that fact, participating in a HR derby is cancerous towards their health or performance going forward, you are nit-picking at best.

The avatar is just an avatar of some chick. I've used that avatar for a decade in fantasy sports.

My point was that the HR Derby doesn't matter. Regular season games do matter. So that comparison doesn't really work. I'll admit that the chances of Braun screwing up his swing are slim because he is such a great player and probably has better discipline than others. However, he's been banged up quite a bit in his career and he should probably just take the extra rest. I don't think it's really nitpicking because like I said, the risks outweigh any reward. Sure you could make a case for not playing in the AS game itself then. But that at least matters a little bit more than the HR derby. And I also think people seriously underestimate how tiring a HR derby can be.

This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived