Brewer Fanatic

Michael Reed

paul253
Could someone explain the reasoning for starting him off all the way up in Huntsville? He was drafted last year out of HS. I understand the Brewers are high on him, and I do like aggressively promoting our players, but Huntsville seems a little fast for him especially if he is going to sit on the bench most of the time. Why don't the Brewers start him off in Helena this year and then promote him based on his play? Or is this Huntsville thing just a temporary move until the Helena season starts?

Or is this Huntsville thing just a temporary move until the Helena season starts?

This.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Most likely he'll be in AZ next week to work out with the Helena squad, or perhaps he'll just meet them in Montana. They did this before with Nick Bucci. Instead of promoting an A+ OF, they probably are expecting someone back soon (Brock K? Richardson?)

Most likely he'll be in AZ next week to work out with the Helena squad, or perhaps he'll just meet them in Montana. They did this before with Nick Bucci. Instead of promoting an A+ OF, they probably are expecting someone back soon (Brock K? Richardson?)

Oh now don't you go getting my hopes up, DHonks!

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

• 2 weeks later...
Reed is actually holding his own in BC right now. Any chance he stays up there for awhile to afford more playing to other players in AZ or Helena?

If anything send him to Wisconsin if you absolutely must demote him, but if he doesn't look over his head, why put him in the rookie league just to blow everyone else out of the water?

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Well you gotta figure there will be promotions out of WI which could potentially open up a spot for Reed depending on who goes. I would be alright if he went back to Helena or WI, without media coverage it's tough to say exactly where's he at as a player. I have no idea if he's advanced enough to stay in BC or not.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

I certainly love what he has done, but he still has not hit an XBH and he is striking out about once per game.

On the flip side he's also walked 6 times in 7 games. I think maybe moving him down to WI would be fine but I don't want to put at Helena just for the sake of putting him at Helena. If he can handle A ball at 19 it would get him notice.

What position players would get promoted out of WI? Rogers has a good OBP, but no one is tearing up that league. Their pitching is what is carrying them.

Rogers and Hopkins are repeating and don't have much left to prove in A ball and a case could be made for a McMahan promotion.

- Plato

- Plato

I certainly love what he has done, but he still has not hit an XBH and he is striking out about once per game.

On the flip side he's also walked 6 times in 7 games. I think maybe moving him down to WI would be fine but I don't want to put at Helena just for the sake of putting him at Helena. If he can handle A ball at 19 it would get him notice.

Completely agree with this. The absolute lowest I want to see him sent is Wisconsin... and then I'll have another great reason to get out & watch the T-Rats! :)

Send him to Helena and let him rake.

Why? He's hitting .400/.538 OBP(almost walking once per game as well, so you're ignoring the almost 1-1 BB/K ratio) in an extremely difficult hitters league. I think that fact is being lost.

Why send him to a league if you believe that he's just going to do down there and dominate it as you clearly seem to? He's playing well. Very short sample size, but the walk to strikeout ratio is encouraging, the walks in general are, and he's hitting. The only reason I could see doing that is for defensive reasons, but from what I've heard about Reed, that shouldn't be much of an issue for him.

So if you think he can hold his own at A ball in Appleton, that'll certainly help his progression more than going down another level.

I think it'd be nice if the Brewers rewarded a player with an aggressive promotion when they show they deserve them rather than hold their hands all the way though the system.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Guys, it has been all of like 8 games.

I was wondering how many it was after reading all of this. I think the thing we tend to miss is that these players generally have parts of their game to work on and a plan to achieve it. Going back to Helena is probably a given.

Guys, it has been all of like 8 games. And I am not ignoring anything. I'll repeat, I love what he has done, but we need to stick to the plan. If he rakes at Helena, as I expect, bump him then.

Right, yet you're the one who cited that he has struck out 8 times and that he doesn't have an extra base hit. So you're using sample size to argue against him moving aggressively and dismissing the numbers for moving him aggressively.

He's obviously not a .400 hitter, but if the guy can at least hold his own in a big time pitchers park/league, and he continues to perform well, why drop him TWO levels? Because it was part of some plan? I'm sure the plan at one point was to have Thornburg be a reliever when they drafted him.

Although at this point, it is kinda silly to argue what level he should go to. 7 BB, 8 K's in 8 games, hitting .400/.548...not a lot you can measure from that. I guess the only way you can truly evaluate if he should be up there(Wisconsin, not BC per say) is by trying to evaluate how he's looked. Has he just gotten some hits to fall in, is he squaring up, is he overmatched, but has a hyper-inflated BABIP? You can't really tell from so few games.

All I know is the Brewers plan moves guys extremely slow at times and if he's playing at BC, he's working the counts, facing advanced pitchers and has a good idea of the strike zone and hitting the ball hard....why slow him down in rookie league?

Guys, it has been all of like 8 games.

I was wondering how many it was after reading all of this. I think the thing we tend to miss is that these players generally have parts of their game to work on and a plan to achieve it. Going back to Helena is probably a given.

He's 20 years old and we payed well over slot to pick him in the 5th round last year. I'm sure he has thinks to work on, but I don't see how it's a "given."

Not to mention, how many OF'ers did we just draft? Just seems that with the total lack of OF prospects in Wisconsin, his small success in a pitchers league and a slew of early OF'ers drafted and or coming back it's possible he'll be a T-Rattler.

Either way, he's gonna be a fun one to watch.

Guys, it has been all of like 8 games. And I am not ignoring anything. I'll repeat, I love what he has done, but we need to stick to the plan. If he rakes at Helena, as I expect, bump him then.

Right, yet you're the one who cited that he has struck out 8 times and that he doesn't have an extra base hit. So you're using sample size to argue against him moving aggressively and dismissing the numbers for moving him aggressively.

He's obviously not a .400 hitter, but if the guy can at least hold his own in a big time pitchers park/league, and he continues to perform well, why drop him TWO levels? Because it was part of some plan? I'm sure the plan at one point was to have Thornburg be a reliever when they drafted him.

Although at this point, it is kinda silly to argue what level he should go to. 7 BB, 8 K's in 8 games, hitting .400/.548...not a lot you can measure from that. I guess the only way you can truly evaluate if he should be up there(Wisconsin, not BC per say) is by trying to evaluate how he's looked. Has he just gotten some hits to fall in, is he squaring up, is he overmatched, but has a hyper-inflated BABIP? You can't really tell from so few games.

All I know is the Brewers plan moves guys extremely slow at times and if he's playing at BC, he's working the counts, facing advanced pitchers and has a good idea of the strike zone and hitting the ball hard....why slow him down in rookie league?

Look, not here but in the LR's, I have highlighted Reed's good and bad stats about equally. I am not trying to paint some doom and gloom picture nor am I trying to polish a turd. I am simply making the case that 9 games worth of data is irrelevant to us box score checkers. You nailed it when you suggested we need scouting reports. I messaged my FL contact to inquire on any possible Reed buzz, but I doubt anything will come of it. Until then, I could be convinced of an assignment to WI if Hopkins and Rogers get bumped, but I will continue to endorse at least a month long stay in Helena.

Reed needs maximum AB's and that will not happen in the 8/9 spots in Florida. He should be hitting 2/3 and working on driving the ball with authority while keeping the K's down. I am drooling over a McFarland, Reed, Haniger top of the order in Helena, that is for sure.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I'm sure he has thinks to work on, but I don't see how it's a "given."

Because it was part of some plan?

You nailed it when you suggested we need scouting reports.

Honestly, I don't remember when Reed was called up (I only get spurts to be on the board anymore). But I'm guessing it was due to an injury replacement.

So, knowing how the Brewers tend to develop players, knowing that Reed hit poorly at AZ last year (in a bigger sample size than Brevard so far), knowing that the scouting reports on Reed are going to trump a few ABs, that is why I think its a given.

The hole in the information that we don't really know is the scouting reports. Does the guy have a hole in his swing that the A+ pitchers haven't exploited (yet)? Maybe not and he sticks around A+ ball or is only demoted to A ball. That would be great.

But I would say the chances are low of that, IMO.

He's 20 years old and we payed well over slot to pick him in the 5th round last year.

For one, he is 19 (turns 20 in Nov). So, he would be pretty young for the typical A-baller. Not that age is important, but the Brewers do tend to take it slower with their HS draft picks in rookie ball and jump their college draft picks faster. Not saying its write or wrong, just using the Brewer's norm to guess where Reed will end up.

So, knowing how the Brewers tend to develop players, knowing that Reed hit poorly at AZ last year (in a bigger sample size than Brevard so far), knowing that the scouting reports on Reed are going to trump a few ABs, that is why I think its a given.

And what is that sample size? A larger, yet still small sample size? One is 14 games one is 9.

I'll say this, so long as he's getting playing time and performing well, I'm not too concerned, but if he can go to Wisconsin and hit .300/.350/.450 while playing good defense, that's a lot better than a .365/.465/.600 in Helena.

Toolsy CF'ers are almost like flame throwing young pitchers. You can get a whole lot of them in your system, but many are going to fall by the wayside. It's a little different with corner bats, catchers, corner OF'ers...etc...

It takes everything to go just right(catcher's the same, but to get a 5 tool catcher is far more rare, so that's why they're a little different).

So I don't care where he goes as long as he progresses. We have GOT to get lucky with 5-6 home grown guys. Simple as that. Not Parra "lucky," I'm talking about we need a ace, a #3, a couple of legit .860 bats, another 30 HR bat(the last two would likely match up).

Unless we sign Greinke...then the room for error is significantly wider.

The hole in the information that we don't really know is the scouting reports. Does the guy have a hole in his swing that the A+ pitchers haven't exploited (yet)? Maybe not and he sticks around A+ ball or is only demoted to A ball. That would be great.

But I would say the chances are low of that, IMO.

He's 20 years old and we payed well over slot to pick him in the 5th round last year.

For one, he is 19 (turns 20 in Nov). So, he would be pretty young for the typical A-baller. Not that age is important, but the Brewers do tend to take it slower with their HS draft picks in rookie ball and jump their college draft picks faster. Not saying its write or wrong, just using the Brewer's norm to guess where Reed will end up.

Well, that's just it. Is he a straight fastball hitter? Would he be hitting cleanup for the Indians in Major League? I don't know, didn't watch him play.

I'm simply saying if he's performing, I don't want to see the Brewers demote him to rookie ball because that's "what they normally do." Sometimes guys will surprise you. I wish to hell D'Vo would have been promoted to AA so he could have gotten out of that hitters hell and maybe he'd feel better about his big league career.

Side Note-It's amazing to me to see a guy with Andrew McCutchen type talent just give it up to coach Football. Hell, you're an athlete. At least try WR in the NFL is you love football so much. Unless there is something he's not telling us.

And his talent is much like Thornburg has Lincecum type talent, they're merely similar and long shots to reach it, but they could still be very good players. I don't think anyone EXPECTS anything like that of D'vo, but he sure as hell could be...he's got every tool you want in a CF'er and seemed like a really well spoken, down to earth, humble, good guy. The Mike Cameron type that you'd love to have on your team.

It's too bad. For as last as he started, I'd have said it was 70/30 he at least saw big league action at some point.

With Reed sent to Helena, are people disappointed?

I think it's the right move. Hangier is older and more polished. He should be at WI.

My next question is what is going to happen in the Helena OF? With Roenicke piling up hits, and Mondesi Jr., Ozuna and Yonki Hernandez rostered, there does not seem to be much room. I predict Hernandez is off to Arizona.

I realize your post most likely came before this move, but in the Brewers' view, apparently Lance Roenicke to WI was more important than Reed staying at WI. To say that's disappointing doesn't accurately sum up my feelings on the subject. And yes, of course I/we can never know 100% of what goes into these types of decisions, but I see a lot more long-term value in continuing to challenge Reed. He was holding his own at BC so far, there was no reason to drop him all the way down to Helena imo.

Archived