Brewer Fanatic

Offensive starting catcher vs. defensive starting catcher

adambr2
I think if Maldonado can get consistent playing time he has the potential to be slightly offensively better than Kottaras. But of course as long as Wolf has a say in it, I dont see Maldy staying up once Luc comes back.
Formerly AirShuttle6104

I think if Maldonado can get consistent playing time he has the potential to be slightly offensively better than Kottaras. But of course as long as Wolf has a say in it, I dont see Maldy staying up once Luc comes back.

I don't think Wolf loves Kottaras, I think he doesn't like Lucroy catching him. At least from what I've picked up upon.

But seriously, Lucroy's a pretty athletic catcher. Is there any reason he has to move to RF or 1st base? What about a move to 2nd base? He'd certainly be above average offensively there.

Lucroy catches for a couple more years and we try him out at 2nd from time to time in ST'ing, have him work at it for a couple weeks at instructional and see if there is any chance.

Otherwise I'd go with Lucroy and Maldonado. I think he can be a guy who catches 45 games with great defense, and hit .230/.300 as he has a good eye, and pop 8-9 HR's(along with his PH'ing).

Pretty valuable catching combo.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Is there any chance the Brewers decide to carry three catchers once Lucroy comes back? I'd bet not, and I normally wouldn't be crazy about the idea, but having Maldonado as a guy that could come in late in games would be nice, and Kottaras' bat is a pretty good bench bat. There's no reason to keep both Izturis and Maysonet, and I also don't see the point of having Ishikawa and Green on the roster, especially now that Hart is playing 1B.

At this point, I'd just like the Brewers to keep Kottaras as a 1B/C/Bench Thunder, with Luc & Maldonado as the two main catchers.

I realize 'the league' will get 'a book' on Maldonado before long, but what I've seen of him at the plate so far looks good. Yes, he's still learning, but I believe there's talent there, or at least backup big-league catcher talent. Not to mention his defense. He'll be really affordable through 2015 or so, and I think he'd look really nice teamed up with Lucroy.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Is there any chance the Brewers decide to carry three catchers once Lucroy comes back? I'd bet not, and I normally wouldn't be crazy about the idea, but having Maldonado as a guy that could come in late in games would be nice, and Kottaras' bat is a pretty good bench bat. There's no reason to keep both Izturis and Maysonet, and I also don't see the point of having Ishikawa and Green on the roster, especially now that Hart is playing 1B.

At this point, I'd just like the Brewers to keep Kottaras as a 1B/C/Bench Thunder, with Luc & Maldonado as the two main catchers.

I realize 'the league' will get 'a book' on Maldonado before long, but what I've seen of him at the plate so far looks good. Yes, he's still learning, but I believe there's talent there, or at least backup big-league catcher talent. Not to mention his defense. He'll be really affordable through 2015 or so, and I think he'd look really nice teamed up with Lucroy.

IT's tough to get too much of a "book," on a guy who can get around on a good fastball and who can lay off the off-speed stuff. Or at least get a piece of it and fight it off.

I don't think there should be any question, and I wanted him to be the back up last year. He's a great defensive catcher and he's got very good bat speed and can turn around a 95 MPH fastball in a HURRY.

There's also the issue of Kottaras not being able to catch. Someone asked how he can catch when he can hardly walk, but he can hardly catch when healthy. He's a terrible defensive catcher.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

At this point in the season with all the inuries accumulated, Kottaras still has value as a backup 1B and LHB on the bench, he's definitely more valuable than Conrad, for instance, so no reason not to carry all 3 once Lucroy is back....
The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Has Kottaras ever played 1B for more than a fill in for a game or a late inning replacement?

Is he such a good hitter that we'd throw him into a position he can't play?

He's a horrible catcher defensively. His value is and should be based soley on his ability to pinch hit. Is he a good enough pinch hitter to take up a bench spot for that purpose alone.

There will be those who disagree with this, but I think he is very over-rated.

When the discussion started, it was about defensive vs offensive catchers.

Maldonado has proven to be both, so where does this leave Kottaras? Gone, that's where...

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Yes, Kottaras has played 1B in 7 MLB games, including 5 this year. He is a more valuable hitter than Conrad, and arguably a better hitter than Ishikawa and while Taylor Green has potential, he's certainly been a better hitter this year than Green as well.... With Ransom on the roster and Izturis due back soon, there'll be no need for Maysonet or Conrad on the roster and Kottaras is a more valuable bench bat than either of them, as well as Ishikawa, even when Lucroy returns

Kottaras currently has an .856 OPS, which I believe ranks 4th on the team, higher than Hart & Ramirez. I'm not saying he is a better hitter than Hart or Ramirez, but he is certainly good enough to be on the 25 man roster and has value as a backup 1B, LHB off the bench, 3rd catcher... Kottaras has a .439 OBP right now!

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

I would keep Kottaras over Conrad and Maysonet. I don't think I'd keep him over Ransom, however, because I don't want Izturis as the only option at short. The problem is there are three players (Lucroy, Ishikawa, Izturis) coming back and only 2 real options to send out. So it comes down to who is the last guy sent out. Would you rather have Izturis play SS all day, everyday and send out Ransom, keep Ransom and send out one of Kottaras/Maldonado, or keep both Kottaras/Ransom and send out Green?

I think Taylor Green could be an asset if he actually got any PT. It's hard to perform (especially as a younger player) when you're only getting 5-6 ABs a week. So for me, it comes down to Kottaras/Ishikawa. I think 1B could be covered with Hart/Green and Kottaras could fill in if needed. I wouldn't start Ishikawa at 1B ever anymore so I think he's expendable. Unfortunately, Roenicke seems to love him so he will most likely stay.

My guess is Kottaras is kept with Green, Conrad, and Maysonet shipped out. With the DH, Green had opportunities to start at DH, 3B, 2B, and 1B each game and only managed 1 start. I know there's been a few lefties out there but I have to believe Green is a better hitter overall than Maysonet and Ransom. I can't find Green's minor league splits but I don't think a player can have a .900+ OPS without being able to handle lefties at least somewhat adequately. Yet he only has 5 PA against a lefty this year, with a hit, BB, and HBP. Give the kid a chance already Roenicke!

This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

RR is a horrible manager, every time I read what people here have to say about him, it becomes even more clear.

I want him canned so badly at the end of this season, but in all reality, the injuries have masked his inability to manage a MLB team, and he will be kept for another painful season. He is lucky we have the injuries, they will save his butt for another season. Then there is that ridiculous, stinky, horrendous, pathetic, rotten extension... UGHHH!

I just can't stand to even look at the guy any longer.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

RR is a horrible manager, every time I read what people here have to say about him, it becomes even more clear.

I want him canned so badly at the end of this season, but in all reality, the injuries have masked his inability to manage a MLB team, and he will be kept for another painful season. He is lucky we have the injuries, they will save his butt for another season. Then there is that ridiculous, stinky, horrendous, pathetic, rotten extension... UGHHH!

I just can't stand to even look at the guy any longer.

Alright, I can't stand Roenicke either. He is probably my least favorite Brewers manager (I liked Macha's baseball decisions but disliked his personality). But I swear every other post of yours is about how much Roenicke sucks, how he should be fired, etc. I think we all know where you stand so maybe keep it to one Roenicke-hating post a day, including IGT?

This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

I don't think Maldonado has proven anything as far as being a good offensive catcher. He has had a decent first 46 AB's in MLB. Outside of last season, he had been atrocious in his minor league career and had been equally atrocious to start this season in Nashville. His numbers will fall to where they should be by the time Lucroy comes back and make the "debate" over Kottaras and Maldonado pretty pointless.

yup, I vocalize it too much...

too passionate about this team I guess.

I actually kinda like reading your posts about your dislike for Roenicke cuz I can't stand the guy, it's nice to see other people feel the same way now after most people gushed about how good of a manager he was last season, when it was apparent even then he was awful.

I don't think Maldonado has proven anything as far as being a good offensive catcher. He has had a decent first 46 AB's in MLB. Outside of last season, he had been atrocious in his minor league career and had been equally atrocious to start this season in Nashville. His numbers will fall to where they should be by the time Lucroy comes back and make the "debate" over Kottaras and Maldonado pretty pointless.

PSHAW! Just like Gomez having an OPS of .970 in September last year meant he was a new, better hitter these 49 PAs completely overrule everything that Maldonadlo has done before.

Except that Maldonado shows a polished approach at the plate routinely, instead of Gomez's swing-from-the-heels-when-I'm-not-bunting approach that he has routinely.

Maldonado has actually had three relatively good offensive seasons in a row now for a catcher (yes, I'm prematurely chalking '12 up as a good season... could be wrong). If you only look at stats & you don't put any critical thought into watching him as an actual hitter, I can see how you'd just write him off though.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Where are some of you guys getting your information? In his last 2 full seasons in the minors (2010 and 2011), Maldonado hit .239 and .287. He hit .321 in the games he played at Nashville. For comparison, Kottaras hit .241 and .243 in his last 2 minor league seasons. Kottaras's career MLB average? That'd be 0.223 with a .734 OPS. Do you honestly believe, at 25, Maldanado can't do at least that or better?

Moldy's line between AA and AAA is about .255/.325/.400. So no, I don't believe we should expect Maldonado outhit Kottaras in the majors. Zips projects Maldonado to put up a .293 wOBA and Kottaras a .322.

I'll take Moldy but not for his offense.

Moldy's line between AA and AAA is about .255/.325/.400. So no, I don't believe we should expect Maldonado outhit Kottaras in the majors. Zips projects Maldonado to put up a .293 wOBA and Kottaras a .322.

I'll take Moldy but not for his offense.

That's a rational response. I was trying to dispel the notion that he's had an "atrocious" minor league career offensively. Simply not true. His numbers and projections are not that far off from Kotarras's. I think you lose very little offensively, and gain a ton defensively if you promote MM to the backup position once Lucroy gets back.

We need spots for Izturis and Ishikawa too, though I don't really feel that either of them are a necessary roster occupier. I'd be fine with dumping Izturis, but we won't, mostly because of the infield depth, and Mayonset will go down which is fine.

Ishikawa is just basically George Kottaras without the ability to play catcher.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

So, with Maldonado getting most of the starts, is it possible he wins the backup catcher job when Lucroy comes back?

Its possible that Kottaras and Maldonado both stick around, but it seems that Martin has outplayed George to this point (as a catcher at least).

Martin earned his way onto this team. It's a joke that it'll even be in question. His catching ability is just awesome to watch. His timely hitting and huge hits at the back end of the order are a welcomed site. Crazy discussion even but I'm sure he'll go back to AAA and rot.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Archived