Brewer Fanatic

Draft Pick Discussion, Rounds 21-40

Please use this thread to share your thoughts, links, stories, pictures and anything else on the Brewers' picks on draft day from rounds 21 through 40. Please do not start separate threads to discuss the individual picks.

Please use the in-draft thread to talk about the picks, similar to a game thread.

21st rounder Austin Blaski, a LHP from back-to-back DIII National Champs Marietta College, is a senior and was Baseball America's 374th best prospect in the draft, taken 665th overall. You have to think he's going to sign and if he does, it's good value for the Brewers in the 21st round.

Sayeth BA: "Blaski does a nice job of throwing his 88-92 mph fastball on a downhill plane. He throws strikes with his tight slider and changeup, and he's more than just a typical D-III senior sign."

BA tells us pretty much all you need to know about our 38th round pick Chris Shaw, a catcher out of Alberta: "He gave up curling to focus on baseball."

If I could hear DM recite that quote and punctuate it with "and that," my life would be complete.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

"He gave up curling to focus on baseball."

Does he throw underhand?

Umpires love him, because he brings his own broom to sweep off home plate.

If he was a pitcher, I'd bet he throws an awesome slider!

Ok, I'm done. :laughing

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Barnegat's Mark McCoy gets drafted for baseball, but chooses college

By Hannah Bitzer For the Press of Atlantic City

Barnegat High School pitcher Mark McCoy was selected Thursday in the Major League Baseball draft with the 815th pick (26th round) by the Milwaukee Brewers.

But the 19-year-old senior had already made up his mind that he would be going to Wake Forest University instead.

McCoy said that he was offered (by phone) $142,000 in the seventh round by the Atlanta Braves, but he said no (the Braves did not select him) and will attend Wake, an ACC school where he's getting a full scholarship.

McCoy also indicated via Twitter that the Angels expressed 9th round interest

It's all about Wake

Barnegat High School pitcher Mark McCoy practices Thursday. Major-league scouts are showing up for every game Mark pitches this spring for the Bengals. ‘It was like a whole new world,’ he says of his initial reaction when he realized scouts were tracking him.

http://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com/pressofatlanticcity.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/9/42/942fbb41-82a6-52d5-a8e2-1a607cf32117/4f87a42b1c0a2.image.jpg

Brewer Fanatic Staff

UCSB totals five MLB draftees

Lance Roenicke’s 25th round selection allows him to join the Milwaukee organization where his father, Ron, is the manager. But, it wasn’t purely based on family ties. Roenicke had a stellar senior season in which he hit .310 and led the Gauchos with four home runs and 35 RBI. He also set a school record for sacrifice bunts in a season with 16, providing a pivotal role as the No. 2 hitter in the order.

“I am so excited to be joining the Milwaukee organization,” said Roenicke who hails from Chino Hills, Calif. “This is a dream come true for me to be selected. The fact that the entire Brewers franchise believed in me the same way my father always has means a ton.”

UCSB totals five MLB draftees

Lance Roenicke’s 25th round selection allows him to join the Milwaukee organization where his father, Ron, is the manager. But, it wasn’t purely based on family ties. Roenicke had a stellar senior season in which he hit .310 and led the Gauchos with four home runs and 35 RBI. He also set a school record for sacrifice bunts in a season with 16, providing a pivotal role as the No. 2 hitter in the order.

“I am so excited to be joining the Milwaukee organization,” said Roenicke who hails from Chino Hills, Calif. “This is a dream come true for me to be selected. The fact that the entire Brewers franchise believed in me the same way my father always has means a ton.”

Wow, that scares me.

This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Brewers tab Bosco’s Burns

by Mark Czerwinski, NorthJersey.com

Don Bosco senior right-hander Tommy Burns of Fair Lawn was taken by the Milwaukee Brewers in the 34th round of Wednesday’s Major league Baseball draft.

“Very exciting,” said Burns, who has committed to pitch for national junior college power Howard next season. “Right now, I’m just taking it step by step. It’s an honor to be drafted, and it’s something I can put on my resume.

“My dream has always been to play pro ball, so this is a dream come true. It’s a step in the right direction.”

Burns, who will start Saturday’s Non-Public A championship game against Gloucester Catholic, said much of his decision to sign depends on how much the Brewers spend on earlier draft picks.

If this was six years ago, this would be a classic draft-and-follow through a juco season out of high school. Don't quite close the door on this signing, though odds may be long.

Barnegat's Mark McCoy gets drafted for baseball, but chooses college

By Hannah Bitzer For the Press of Atlantic City

Barnegat High School pitcher Mark McCoy was selected Thursday in the Major League Baseball draft with the 815th pick (26th round) by the Milwaukee Brewers.

But the 19-year-old senior had already made up his mind that he would be going to Wake Forest University instead.

McCoy said that he was offered (by phone) $142,000 in the seventh round by the Atlanta Braves, but he said no (the Braves did not select him) and will attend Wake, an ACC school where he's getting a full scholarship.

It's all about Wake

He did leave the door open a crack:

http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/984/screenshot20120607at120.png

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Barnegat pitcher McCoy, drafted in 26th round by Brewers, says no to Atlanta Braves in 7th round, will go to Wake Forest

By HANNAH BITZER, For The Press of Atlantic City

Barnegat High School pitcher Mark McCoy was offered $142,000 on Tuesday to play professional baseball for the Atlanta Braves.

He said no.

The senior left-hander turned down offers from two teams in the first 10 rounds of the Major League Baseball draft and eventually fell to the 26th round, where the Milwaukee Brewers picked him Wednesday even though he said he plans to attend Wake Forest University on a full scholarship.

The Braves wanted to draft McCoy in the seventh round. After he told them he would not sign for that amount, they passed. Later Tuesday, the Los Angeles Angels called and offered him $123,000 to be drafted in the ninth round.

McCoy said no again.

"In the later rounds, I felt the $142,000 was not enough to throw away a Wake Forest education," he said in a phone interview Wednesday.

McCoy spent much of Tuesday afternoon sitting around his television with family, friends and coaches, hoping his name would be called in the fifth round or sooner. When that didn't happen, his decision to play for Wake Forest was easy.

"I will be able to develop as a baseball player and a man," McCoy said. "In three years, I may be drafted higher, possibly the first round."

McCoy eventually was selected by the Brewers as the 815th pick. But at that point, the 18-year-old's mind was made up to play Division I baseball in the Atlantic Coast Conference next season.

McCoy, a 6-foot-3, 185-pounder, went 4-3 with a 0.97 ERA and 80 strikeouts in 50 innings this season as Barnegat went 12-11 and reached the South Jersey Group II quarterfinals, winning a playoff game for the first time in school history.

In the months leading up to the draft, McCoy talked with various major-league teams, including the Royals, Reds, Angels, Rockies and Orioles.

He described the draft as a "win-win situation" for him: He would either be in the starting rotation at Wake Forest or get a big contract and go to the minors.

"Yes, you are a little disappointed when you don't get picked." McCoy said. "But I'll have another chance to be drafted in three years."

Baseball players who play in college are not eligible for the draft again until after their junior seasons.

McCoy didn't want to sign a contract that paid less money than the four-year total of his scholarship, but he was willing to pass on college if a team offered the right amount.

Dan McCoy, Mark's father, coach and advisor, walked in the door Wednesday afternoon and was told that his son had just been drafted by the Brewers.

"I was confused," the elder McCoy said in a phone interview. "I thought at that point, everyone knew we weren't going to sign."

But major-league teams often take chances with lower draft picks in case a player changes his mind about signing or the team ends up being able to offer more money.

Dan McCoy supported his son 100 percent but said the draft process was an emotional rollercoaster.

"It's never over until you hear your kid's name called," the father said. "People tell you that you need to enjoy this unique experience, and I did during the beginning, but at the end, it got stressful."

McCoy will play in the Cal Ripken Collegiate League this summer in Maryland before heading to Wake Forest in Winston-Salem, N.C., in the fall.

Dan McCoy said he's happy with Mark's decision to play in the ACC, which placed seven teams in the 64-team NCAA tournament this season. Wake Forest finished 34-24 this season but did not make the tournament.

"I don't think the value of being a 26th-round draft pick is more than the value of playing college baseball," Dan McCoy said. "He will play in front of 4,000 people that will be yelling at him. It'll get him ready for the next part of his baseball career."

Barnegat High School pitcher Mark McCoy, left, talks with his coach and father, Dan McCoy, at practice Thursday. McCoy has committed to Wake Forest Unviersity but may have the option to turn pro instead this summer.

http://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com/pressofatlanticcity.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/6/55/655833e2-851e-11e1-a213-0019bb2963f4/4f87a730c529f.preview-300.jpg

VIDEO: Mark McCoy of Barnegat strikes out nine and allows two hits in six innings as Barnegat beats Toms River North 2-1 in the first round of the Ocean County baseball tournament on 5/5/2012

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Three Harvard Baseball Players Selected in MLB Draft, Suter by Brewers

By Scott A. Sherman, CRIMSON STAFF WRITER

The Harvard baseball team’s 2012 regular season did not go well—the squad finished 10-32—but the Crimson’s fortunes have changed considerably since the year came to an end.

First, there was the viral “Call Me Maybe” YouTube video, which put the team in the national spotlight and has been viewed nearly 12 million times. Then, on Wednesday, a trio of Harvard standouts was selected on the third and final day of the MLB Draft.

First, the Milwaukee Brewers selected starting pitcher Brent Suter ’12 in the 31st round as the 965th pick overall.

“It was definitely a nerve-racking day,” Suter said. “I kept on waiting and waiting; when it finally happened there was just a sense of relief and a ton of excitement and a lot of happiness. You can’t beat it.”

Five picks later, rising junior captain Andrew Ferreira was chosen by the Minnesota Twins as the second selection in the 32nd round. And in the 38th round—just two before the draft came to a close—the New York Mets took infielder Jeff Reynolds ’12 with the 1,160th overall selection.

This year marked the first time since 1993 and only the second time in Harvard baseball history that three Crimson players were chosen in the same draft. Before Wednesday, only three total Harvard players had been selected in the past five years—most recently starting pitcher Max Pearlman ’11, who was taken in the 35th round by the Oakland A’s last season and reached AAA before the year was up.

Suter, a left-handed starter, led the Crimson with 53.2 innings pitched during the 2012 campaign, finishing with a 4.36 ERA and team-high 45 strikeouts. Getting drafted by the Brewers means that as the Cincinnati, Ohio, native moves through the minors, he will have the chance to play relatively close to home.

“I really admire their organization,” he said. “They have a very good minor league system, so I can’t wait to get started. Hopefully I’ll have some success there, and we’ll just see what happens.”

On the whole, the Crimson’s three 2012 selections tied it with Yale for the most of any Ancient Eight school.

“I’m so happy for my other teammates,” Suter added. “There’s no words to describe this. It’s a dream come true.”

Photo by Emily C. Wong

Left-handed pitcher Brent Suter '12 was one of three Harvard baseball players selected in this year's MLB Draft. Only in one other year (1993) have three Crimson ballplayers been taken in the same draft.

http://www.thecrimson.com/media/photos/2012/06/07/012604_1277801_630x420.jpg

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Flagler baseball makes program history with three draft picks

By DANNY KLEIN, staugustine.com

After a fitful night of sleep, Flagler College baseball player Jonathan Armold finally surrendered at 7 on Wednesday morning.

His solution? Play a round of golf at Royal St. Augustine while one of the biggest days of his life unfolded.

Teammate John Sgromolo had no such luck. From the moment the Major League Baseball First-Year Player Draft began on Monday, he sat in front of his computer watching each name appear on screen. Initially, he was simply interested in watching players he knew get picked by teams. On Wednesday, that curiosity slowed started to creep toward panic.

Somewhere in between, Garrett Bush grabbed some lunch and tried to take his mind off baseball.

By the time the day ended, the trio had taken three very different paths to a piece of program history.

“I could barely sleep last night,” Armold said. “I couldn’t stop thinking about today.”

Bush, Armold and Sgromolo were each selected on Wednesday, which was the first time three players from Flagler have even been picked in the draft.

Bush, a 6-foot-6 right-handed pitcher who was actually drafted for the third time in his career, went in the 24th round (747th overall) to the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim. Armold, a 23-year-old right-hander went in the 30th round (935th overall) to the Milwaukee Brewers. And lastly, Sgromolo, a first baseman, was picked in the 37th round (1,136th overall) by the Los Angeles Dodgers.

“It’s neat,” Flagler baseball coach Dave Barnett said. “That’s probably every kid’s dream to have a chance to play professional baseball. So it’s nice to see kids who worked hard get the opportunity they deserve.”

Flagler hasn’t had multiple players drafted since 1995 when Jim Woodrow went in the fifth round and Gary Santoro was picked in the 29th. This year’s crop was part of a 27-22 team that went 13-17 in the Peach Belt Conference.

Armold, 23, was a four-year starter who won 16 games in his career and posted a 4.25 ERA. He also holds the school record with 51 starts.

He’s a crafty pitcher, who throws in the upper 80s and with his age, will be one of the older players when he arrives at camp.

“This whole process was pretty new to me,” said Armold, who went 5-5 this past season. “I didn’t know when I would go or if I would go at all.”

He said the Brewers had expressed some interest and let him know there was a chance. Armold received the phone call from the organization shortly after being drafted and was alerted to stay ready. He’ll likely either head to Arizona or Montana to play rookie ball.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Old friends stay connected thanks to MLB draft

by Bruce Gallaudet, the Davis (CA) Enterprise

They played against each other in Little League.

For two seasons they were teammates at Davis High.

Now, after each has excelled at the collegiate level, Mike Turay and Cody Keefer are headed to professional baseball — and maybe some day, the major leagues.

Outfielder Keefer, a 2009 DHS graduate who has been a key to No. 1 UCLA’s terrific season, was taken by the Miami Marlins in the 15th round of this week’s MLB draft.

Catcher Turay, who helped Stanislaus State to a 27-23 this spring after transferring from Nevada, was taken in the 24th round by the Milwaukee Brewers. Turay graduated from Davis in 2008.

“It means everything to me,” Turay said shortly after getting the call. “It’s been a dream of mine since I was a little kid.”

Turay hit .262 for the Warriors with 18 extra-base hits — including two home runs. He scored 26 runs and has good speed for a catcher.

Brewer scout Justin McCray held a private workout for a handful of area players two weekends ago in Davis and liked what he saw in Turay — a player Milwaukee has had its eye on.

Keefer, whose Bruins are hosting Texas Christian in a Super Regional playoff this weekend in Los Angeles, is hitting .342 with 12 doubles, 35 RBI and 41 runs scored as UCLA is 42-14 on the year.

The two long-time friends have been texting for most of the last two weeks, wishing each other luck, checking in on draft status — then providing congratulations when their names appeared.

“It feels so good to have it over,” Keefer told The Enterprise. “It was so stressful on everybody. Not just me, my mom and dad … the whole family.

“Now I’m ready to start a new chapter in my life.”

Keefer hit .411 in his Blue Devil career and Turay (.388) wasn’t far behind. They played together at DHS in 2007 and 2008.

Both players are expected to receive undisclosed signing bonuses, then, once in the Miami and Milwaukee organizations, Keefer and Turay will play under a standard minor-league contract.

“It’s awesome,” Tom Turay, a DHS baseball assistant coach, said of his son’s selection. “He’s put so much work and time into (his baseball). It shows what hard work in school and on the field — and being dedicated to something — can do.

“We’re all just very proud and excited for him.”

Notes: Turay says he expects to get his assignment via a call from McCray (a Davis resident) later this week. So does either expect to playing against the other in the National League? Turay thought for a minute, then answered: “Wouldn’t that be cool?”

DHS graduate Mike Turay bats for Stanislaus State this spring. Turay was picked by Milwaukee in the 24th round of this week's MLB draft. Courtesy photo

http://davisenterprise.s3.amazonaws.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/0607turayW.jpg

Brewer Fanatic Staff

From May 30th -- we told you all Canadian kids play JUCO ball in Texas (actually, it just seems like it). We'll see if the Brewers can entice this young man, their 38th round pick, from way up north.

By: Ted (Dutch) Holland & T. Kent Morgan, Winnipeg Free Press

The next few days could have a major impact on the baseball career of 18-year-old Winnipegger Chris Shaw.

The catcher from Charleswood is showcasing his talent in front of major league scouts in the Dominican Republic where Canada’s national junior team is playing against teams of Major League Baseball Dominican prospects.

The 11-game series concludes May 31 with games against the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim prospects and a team of the best players from the Dominican Summer League Camp.

As a 2012 high school graduate, Shaw, who left Oak Park to take his final year at the Okotoks Dawgs Baseball Academy in Alberta, is eligible for the MLB first-year player draft that runs June 4 to 6.

In its latest ranking on May 21, the Canadian Baseball Network had Shaw rated No. 17 on its list of eligible Canadian players.

While that may seem low, all but one of the higher-ranked players, national team pitcher Logan Seifrit, are older and enrolled at U.S. colleges, and they almost all are pitchers.

The CBN description of Shaw states "best position player in the country" followed by a question mark.

Shaw has already committed to attending Midland Junior College in Texas this fall.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Bethany’s Sermo Drafted By Milwaukee Brewers

Bethany College baseball player Jose Sermo was drafted in the 35th round of the 2012 Major League Baseball Draft by the Milwaukee Brewers. The draft concluded on Wednesday as 27 NAIA programs had players drafted by 23 of MLB’s 30 clubs. In total, 42 NAIA student-athletes were selected during the three-day, 40-round event. Bethany College is the only school in the Kansas Collegiate Athletic Conference with a baseball player drafted.

Sermo, a junior short stop from Vega Alta, Puerto Rico, transferred to Bethany from Yakima Valley Community College in August 2011. Prior to college, he attended Ileana de Gracia Vega Alta High School in Puerto Rico.

While at Bethany, Sermo earned first-team all-KCAC honors. He is ranked no. 11 in the NAIA in total triples (6) and no. 11 in triples per game (0.128). Sermo’s season batting average was .363.

Head Baseball Coach Jeremy Cantrell says, “This is a great recognition of Jose’s persistence and work ethic. Jose has been a pleasure to work. Although this journey is going to be even more difficult than the previous one, Jose is prepared because of the quality traits he already possesses.”

Sermo worked out all winter with the Bethany indoor track team. Due to eligibility issues he was never able to compete. Cantrell credits Head Track Coach Robert Spies for his part in having Sermo in great physical shape for the baseball season.

Sermo also participated in an invitation-only workout with the Kansas City Royals on May 31.

Sermo is the second Bethany baseball player in four years to get drafted by the MLB. In 2010, Aaron Larsen was drafted in the 34th round by the Oakland Athletics.

http://salinapost.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/jose_sermo_176_mba.jpg

Archived